Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 23:44   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: 4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto
ATTACH=IMG_20180623_104324.jpg]1849188[/ATTACH]
Was this pic (the 2nd one) taken anywhere in Kollam (Vaddy, Thangasherry area) ?
Old 16th February 2019, 12:10   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Was this pic (the 2nd one) taken anywhere in Kollam (Vaddy, Thangasherry area) ?
Hi, supremeBaleno, you're correct. I was visiting the Tangasseri Lighthouse. It's a beautiful place and sadly zero effort has been done to promote this tourist destination.

I am driving Elantra after a long gap, the car is still able to put a smile on my face. Performance is splendid, I drove without music for a while and absolutely no rattling noise from anywhere, talk about build quality.

Sharing some pictures of the lighthouse and the car. Kindly excuse the poor image quality, my phone has got an average camera, need to buy a better one soon.

Lighthouse

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-light-house.jpg

Scenery from the top

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-scenary-2.jpg

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-scenary.jpg

Elantra near the ship yard

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-car-near-yard.jpg

At the lighthouse

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-front-light-house.jpg
jonesanto is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 12:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, supremeBaleno, you're correct. I was visiting the Tangasseri Lighthouse.
Thought so. The place looked very familiar, though given Kerala's long 500km+ coastline, a similar view could be seen anywhere in the state.

Quote:
I am driving Elantra after a long gap, the car is still able to put a smile on my face. Performance is splendid, I drove without music for a while and absolutely no rattling noise from anywhere, talk about build quality.
Can identify with the feeling, as I also drive a 14year old car (Baleno) with 1lakh kms on the odometer. The FTD factor is still intact after all these years and not a single rattle anywhere.

Quote:
Scenery from the top
Attachment 1849249
Have visited the lighthouse many times, but never could make it to the top due to acrophobia - while wifey and kids scamper up the stairs like squirrels.

BTW, that breakwater (pulimuttu in local lingo) is an awesome place to walk in the mornings / evenings. IIRC it is a total of 4kms. Nice fun.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 13:04   #64
BHPian

No news is good news.

Elantra is doing city runs now, have not gone for any out station trips in a long time. This does not mean car is not running, last March to May we did about 5K in Kerala alone. Car is doing local runs without any complaints, which is a good thing. I did notice that starting takes more cranks than usual, which is understandable. Old diesels need to run pretty much every day, battery must not be getting enough charge. I use the car whenever I am in Kerala or it is my brother who uses it once in a while.

It was time for yearly service, had to change engine oil and filters. Went to Hyundai service at my town, they were like, "We need to order the parts." They don't even have air filter in stock. I don't know what to say to all these things. Got all the filters and oil from genuine parts outlet, went to a good independent garage and did the service. Labour charge was 600. Engine oil, air filter, oil filter, diesel filter was around 5K, so in total it was not even 6K to do the normal service. For these older cars this is the best way to do it I think, when ASS see these old D segment cars, all they see is cash bundle is rolling in, they just take you for a ride. Last refuel, added Abro diesel injector cleaner, I don't use diesel addictives very often, I am not sure if it will actually clean injectors, but will be doing some type of cleaning, I guess.

In 2017, AC was having some leak and car was serviced at Trident Hyundai, Domlur. While picking up the car I especially asked the advisor if cabin filter is installed and he replied "Yes." I did not think much of it then, and cabin filter area is not easily accessible in this model Elantra.

I was thinking it is time to change cabin filter too, Hyundai charges a moderate 3K for paper cabin filter. Parts for older models are ridiculously priced, no wonder people are unable to maintain these vehicles. Four years back when I need to replace MAF sensor Hyundai wanted 13K, I sourced it from Singapore for 1.5K, while checking for some parts in Boodmo, I just checked what's the price for MAF now and it is an eye watering 23K! Have they gone mad? There are other items like this and I can go on forever.

Coming back to the topic, I got cabin filter from Amazon, I usually do the installation myself and opened the case and I was shocked to see there was no cabin filter in my car. So when the work is done back in 2017, they did no install the cabin filter and the advisor either did not know or he just lied to my face saying they installed the cabin filter. So two years of dust, pollen, smog and mold spores deposited in cooling coil and nothing can be done about it. So next time the service advisor tells you, "Yes, we did it," you better make sure it is done.

After installing cabin filter I could feel the difference in cooling, in a good way. There is absolutely no dip in blower speed, which is again a good thing. Dusty country like ours, cabin filter must be changed every year. When I bought the car, it did not come with cabin filter, I did not know about cabin filters back then, when I had first cooling coil issue, they had to remove the dash to replace it and it is after that I got to know about cabin filter in Elantra and it was missing from the car. Since then I made sure I change cabin filter every 10K. I overlooked for a second and it went missing again.

Good news is, Elantra is running just fine, suspension is little weak, I don't think I am doing any suspension work this year due to minimal usage. May be next year. My dad was complaining that he got a bill of 5K for a normal service for his two year old Datsun Redi Go, more interestingly car has done only 4000km so far, there were no repair other than routine service.

One question I have is, how often we need to do engine flush ? Decarbonization was done 20K before, but I noticed in previous service bills, they charged some 500 bucks for engine flush. Is this necessary at every service?

Some pictures...

New Cabin Filter
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190816_160117-new-cabin-filter.jpg

New Air Filter
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190816_160129-new-air-filter.jpg

Old Air Filter
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190817_091319-old-air-filter.jpg

Injector Cleaner
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190817_113411-cleaner.jpg

Glove box, marked clips and retractor needs to be removed
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190816_160524-glove-box.jpg

Clips after removal
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190816_160803-clips.jpg

Retractor
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190816_160933-ret.jpg

Crossbar protecting the case
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190816_161027-bar.jpg

After removal
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190816_161138-bar2.jpg

Filter case
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190816_161159-case.jpg

Case after removal
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190816_161309-case-removed.jpg

Filter in
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190817_083730-filter-.jpg

Instruction given about cabin filter cleaning
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190817_083833-manual.jpg

New addition to the family, Jawa
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190817_124040-jawa-2.jpg

I even forgot we had booked this one year back

4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20190817_124333-jawa.jpg
jonesanto is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 14:26   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post

After installing cabin filter I could feel the difference in cooling, in a good way.

Dusty country like ours, cabin filter must be changed every year. When I bought the car, it did not come with cabin filter, I did not know about cabin filters back then, when I had first cooling coil issue, they had to remove the dash to replace it

One question I have is, how often we need to do engine flush ?
Your cabin filter need not be changed every 10k kms or so; just remove, clean and refit - that would do.

The cabin air filter ensures a much much longer life for the evaporator coil.
Without the filter, the damage happens on the outside of the coil due to caked up dust, and atmospheric effect when the fresh air mode is engaged.

On the engine flush, it isn't required at all. Just replace the engine oil as per schedule.

By the way, your Jawa is a looker :-)
vigsom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 17:04   #66
Senior - BHPian

Got the cabin filter replaced after almost 14 years. Cooling isn't that good and the compressor cuts off for no reason in humid Chennai weather. The steering feels hard (my daughter says she can't manage) I took car out last night, gear shifts are smooth (original clutch). You're doing great Joe Santo! I think it's time for my Elantra to go. I'm mulling on a compact petrol manual hatch for my daughter: Will take a TD of the Ignis: love it's dimensions. Congrats on your Jawa, ride safe and enjoy!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 17th August 2019 at 17:05.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 10:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Your cabin filter need not be changed every 10k kms or so; just remove, clean and refit - that would do.
Thank you, vigsom, how can we clean paper cabin filter? Could you elaborate?
From what I understand paper filters are one time use only.

About engine flush, I had a doubt these are just extra charges added by ASS, they may not have done anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Got the cabin filter replaced after almost 14 years.
Hi, Durango, 14 yeas with same cabin filter? Have you ever done any work on your AC? Even if you maintain the AC system well, it requires services at some point. A good AC mechanic should be able to fix your cars AC issue. I never had any major issues with my cars steering. Well, it is definitely not as smooth as when it was new, but still very much manageable and I don't feel any stress or hardness while driving.

Last year alone I had done lot of work on my car, it is not easy maintaining this generation Elantra, I keep this car due to personal attachment and of course the car still serves us well. If you think maintenance is too much on your car, then you might as well sell it. Petrol model Elantras are not very popular, you may have to give it for a throwaway price but at least you won't be spending anymore money on it. My friend has Ignis and I have driven it a lot in city and it is a nice car, though I am not a big fan of its looks.

All the best with the new car search.
jonesanto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 12:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
l. Hi, Durango, 14 yeas with same cabin filter? Have you ever done any work on your AC? Even if you maintain the AC system well, it requires services at some point. A good AC mechanic should be able to fix your cars AC issue. I never had any major issues with my cars steering. Well, it is definitely not as smooth as when it was new, but still very much manageable and I don't feel any stress or hardness while driving.
Last year alone I had done lot of work on my car, it is not easy maintaining this generation Elantra, I keep this car due to personal attachment and of course the car still serves us well. If you think maintenance is too much on your car, then you might as well sell it. Petrol model Elantras are not very popular, you may have to give it for a throwaway price but at least you won't be spending anymore money on it. My friend has Ignis and I have driven it a lot in city and it is a nice car, though I am not a big fan of its looks.
All the best with the new car search.
I got major preventive maintenance done in 2016 and had the shocks changed before that. That was main ride then so took good care of her. In 2017 she wasn't feeling good despite all the money spent and didn't get the confidence to take her out on the highway so got a new Honda City CVT VX I was about to sell it then but my daughter wanted to keep it for her use, but of late the A/C isn't cooling that well and steering is hard I was told be the SA at Hyundai to let her go as the maintenance would be expensive. Thanks, Jonesanto, even I have an emotional attachment with the Elantra: she hasn't so far let me down at all.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 18:00   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I got major preventive maintenance done in 2016 and had the shocks changed before that.
Hi, Durango, which year you did shocks work? Did you do it at ASS or FNG? How much did it cost? What was the total time required to do all the repairs? I have done shock work back in 2012 or 13, back then parts were easily available and did not cost a bomb to repair even at ASS.
jonesanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 21:08   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, vigsom, how can we clean paper cabin filter? Could you elaborate?
From what I understand paper filters are one time use
Remove the filter, and you'll see leaves, twigs, rat droppings and the like on the top; just tap the material off, then blow it with compressed air from clean side to dirty side( bottom.of the filter to top). That would make the filter fit for re-use.

My ex viz.2005 Corolla in Chennai still runs on the cabin air filter that was in the car when I bought the car in 2012.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Durango, which year you did shocks work? Did you do it at ASS or FNG? How much did it cost? What was the total time required to do all the repairs? I have done shock work back in 2012 or 13, back then parts were easily available and did not cost a bomb to repair even at ASS.
If I remember right I think the shocks I spent around ₹ 52k and for the Brake Discs and Pad around ₹ 47k.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 20:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

Just when I had started believing I am the only guy hanging onto his Elantra, I came upon this thread. My 2006 one has just completed 1.45 lac. Just drove it down from Kerala too Hyderabad last week.

I pretty much am very particular about preventive maintenance too. I just had my front struts replaced three weeks ago - cost me about 12k including labour IIRC - that too at the dealership in Kochi. All my work has always been done at the dealership - I like the comfort of the 6 months parts and labour warranty they offer. I have excellent rapport with them and get to watch work happening in front of my eyes (I refuse to leave the car behind anywhere! )

Let me know what help you need in Kochi wrt to the Elantra - I did a lot of preventive maintenance last three years and can tell you the current prices of most thighs .. I have sent you a PM

Last edited by kb100 : 15th September 2019 at 20:55.
kb100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 18:14   #73
BHPian

Brake issue: One day while returning home front left wheel went over a small ditch, nothing major, must have been in some 20 km/h and realized brake is not applying properly, there is something wrong, while hard braking car is pulling to one side. Drove slowly and reached home, next day is Sunday, so showrooms are on holiday, decided to check with a local garage. Mechanic checked the car and found brake is not applying on front left wheel. Further inspection showed, no oil is coming to that wheel. From master cylinder oil is reaching ABS unit, but from there no supply to left wheel, only to front left wheel. He can't do anything else. Next day took the car to Hyundai, told them "It is after falling in the ditch brake is not applying." They took the car, took three days, said "ABS module is gone." Now that I am not able to accept for many reasons. Even if the ABS does not work, brake should work, that is how it is designed to work. They agree with that too. Second, there is no ABS TCS error showing. They did the scan and found no errors. So it has to be something to do with falling in the ditch. Told them to check ABS sensor, swap the sensor and see if other one works. I don't know if they did that, they said no issues with sensor. They want ABS module to be changed and new one costs 93K. It is out of the question and I am sure there is nothing wrong with ABS module. I did not know what to do. After lot of discussion with SA and my brother, decided to get ABS module from another car. Through brother's contact got in touch with a scrap yard guy, they have the exact same model I need and want 3K for it. Picked up the ABS module and gave it to them.

Again, no calls for two days, they said they need time to clean the brake lines and stuff. I said okay. And now I am getting the news, they removed the left side fender and found lot of wires have been eaten by rat. Up on checking the whole engine bay they found rail pressure wires were also chewed a bit. They said they fixed all the wiring issues. AS still believes ABS module went kaput due to short circuit issue. What I think is, second ABS module was not working either and they had to dig in deep to find where the actual problem is. Whatever it is, I am just relieved that the root cause has been found and according to them car is running perfectly. SA said he's surprised the car is still pulling so well even after all these years and he can't find any mechanical issues with the car now. That is a relief, because if it was the ABS module problem, I was thinking about disposing the car. I also feel bad now because car was not at fault. SA said front suspension needs immediate attention, so decided to do front suspension, ordered the parts and waiting game started. Radiator upper hose showing coolant marks, it will start leaking soon, ordered that part too.
Service advisor is extremely supportive and very processional. Unfortunately they found the root cause little too late, after I picked up an another ABS module for nothing. Due to parking issues car was parked at mom's family house (no one stays there now) for about an year. It is close to my parents house and car is used on a regular basis. Since June car is moved to my parents house and we don't have rat problems here because there are many cats hanging around in this compound. So the damage must have occurred when it was parked at family house.

ABS Unit
Attached Thumbnails
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20191025_163136.jpg  

Last edited by jonesanto : 24th November 2019 at 18:26.
jonesanto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 11:36   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep the spare ABS unit. You will never know when you may need it. For 3,000 rupees its peanuts compared to new one.

Hyundai or for that matter any other brand will at first instance push for the replacement for the most expensive component. They do not have the patience to do a root cause analysis because they do not get $$$$ from that. We need to make them think logically . This is unfortunate but needed if we need to save $$$$
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Keep the spare ABS unit. You will never know when you may need it.
Sure thing, the ABS unit is neatly packed and stored. Not sure why ABS error did not show up on the instrument cluster, SA told it is because the car is old and new gen cars will surely show these errors, can't argue much there. Like you said, showroom guys always go with replace policy rather than repair, that's how the business works. But in this case even they said no point thinking about buying a new one because 93K is something I will get if I sell the car now

Last week had been to the hospital and car was parked at hospital parking lot, when returned saw someone had hit left side bumper corner and fender and nicely left the scene. The other car was taking reverse and hit my car, nothing major, but a touch up was required. Other cars red color was all over my cars bumper and it was looking really weird. Rat attack and now this, cars left side not having a good time now
Attached Thumbnails
4,50,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-1.jpg  

jonesanto is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed