Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2020, 17:41   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!

Bimmers' Day Out: Three BMWs Out on a Cloudy Sunday

(Prologue: When it comes to cars, three is better than one! Although this thread is supposed to be about my car, I took the liberty to report here an exciting day involving three cars. And since all three were BMW F30s anyway, we are still pretty much on topic here in this thread. )

After another long and boring period of inactivity on the driving front, finally managed to have a good outing. Well, in fact, it turned out to me quite an exciting outing actually. This is a story of how this otherwise mundane Sunday suddenly and unexpectedly turned out to be quite a memorable one!

The "Working from Home" routine has slowly but surely taken over my weekends too, and given the work routine and the general situation outside, my driving has reduced to almost negligible levels. Even this Sunday was supposed to be a "working Sunday" and hence there were no other plans. However, due to cancellation of some scheduled events on the work front, on Saturday evening, I realized that, all of a sudden, I had a free Sunday the next day. I pinged a few friends checking if they would like to join me for an impromptu Sunday drive. Thankfully, my close friends and bhpians, RSUDARSANAN and robimahanta replied in affirmative, and an impromptu driving plan got finalized in no time. After some quick message exchanges, we decided to drive to Vani Vilasa Sagara Dam (https://goo.gl/maps/p2ZzSZgCmSVagqna9), which is about 180km from Bangalore. The reason for this choice was supposedly good roads, including some fast six-lane highways and then some scenic state roads. As always, it was the drive that was more important. The destination was just some excuse!

Now RSUDARSANAN drives a BMW 320d (F30), and robimahanta also drives an F30, in the 328i guise. And of course, I would drive my F30 320d too. Thus, by pure chance (and certainly not by design), this turned out to be a BMW 3-series drive! We had three 3-serieses, all three F30s, roaming around on a cloudy day, soaking in the sporadic showers, enjoying the beauty of the lush green landscapes, and "joyfully" enjoying every corner along the way.

The weather was as perfect as it could be; picturesque clouds and some rain here and there. Add some mild breeze and pleasant temperatures to that mix. Could not have asked for better driving conditions. As the destination was just an excuse, we did try driving around some random diversions too, and that just added more fun to the story.

As it turned out, Vani Vilasa Sagara Dam was actually closed for visitors due to the covid precautions. However, that did not make an iota of difference to our thrill of the drive and the enjoyment of the journey. After all, we were lusting for the journey and not the destination. The highlight of the drive for me was three of my favorite cars cruising down the highway, carefully and almost rhythmically gliding around each other as we passed each other depending on traffic conditions. All three of us were driving at roughly the same speed and in similar style (safety first; we all drove in safe and careful manner) and that meant I always had the other two cars in my view somewhere, and it was a sight to behold!

Suddenly the otherwise mundane Sunday had a story to tell.

I will let the pictures tell the story now.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-arrvied.jpg
The trio arrived at the destination, and parked on the side of the road.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-vvsdam.jpg
We climbed some steps to the top of the small hill and reached the entry, only to find that the dam was closed for visitors.
Nevertheless, there were great views all around.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-windmills.jpg
Views of windmills on nearby hills...

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-landscapeviews.jpg
And views of lush green landscape all around, like this!

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-templeview.jpg
A small but colorful temple at the bottom of the climb, right next to where we had parked.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0229_edited.jpg
We came back to our cars and then drove further on a road that goes around the dam (not knowing where it would take us), and found ourselves at this beautiful location.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-waterviews.jpg
Loved the views from this point.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-car1.jpg
My car parked next to this viewpoint.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-car2.jpg
Robimahanta's 328i looked beautiful as always. I still can't get over how cool these wheels look (BMW Style# 397).

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-car3.jpg
A random shot of my car...

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-car5.jpg
To be followed by another random shot.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-rs.jpg
RSUDARSANAN proudly posing next to his gleaming 320d.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-car4.jpg
The last random shot of my car parked there.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-offroading1.jpg
Who says BMWs can't do off-roading? Just kidding. Keen eyes of robimahanta found this beautiful locale on the side of the road.
And in the true spirit of "journey over destination" we took a U-turn to enter this mud road.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ofroading2.jpg
And now it was RSUDARSANAN, the seasoned recce'er who spotted another location for a photoshoot, somewhere away from the road.
We took another U-turn, traveled some non-existent roads, to reach this spot.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-offroading3.jpg
I loved the location. The cost of reaching this place?
Some thorns and bushes scratching against the car while we did some tricky maneuvers. Thanks to full body PPF, I had no worries though.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-offroading4.jpg
A parting shot of all three cars where you would least expect to find them - an off-road trail!

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ccdstop.jpg
Now on our way back to Bangalore, a quick pit-stop at a Cafe Coffee Day.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-lunchbreak.jpg
One issue with this plan was there was no decent lunch place either at the destination or on the way.
So we just drove back home, and had lunch at our usual place in Bangalore. Our "convoy" back in the city.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-coffeebreak.jpg
The "Bimmers' Day Out" continues to a coffee shop post lunch.
In the meantime, it rained heavily, and our convoy got a thorough rain-wash (only for the dried mud to show up later).

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-coffee.jpg
Hot coffee to wrap up what turned out to be a very memorable day.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-desserts.jpg
And in the end, some desserts as the "icing on the cake", quite literally, to end this daylong journey :-)

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 15th September 2020 at 18:06.
Dr.AD is online now   (66) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:35   #122
BHPian

re: Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!

Ah, the beaming bimmers with their proud owners!
A lovely writeup with some amazing pictures!
Monsoon certainly transforms the landscapes around us. The greenery is so soothing!
Planning to do this trip over the weekend as a warm-up to my Bhubaneswar trip next month. This distance is ideal to acclimatize my dog to a long drive.
Thank you
Chinmay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 19:21   #123
BHPian

On a perfect day, driving in three wonderful machines to a lesser traveled and serene place and doing a little adventure is just awesome

I travel through the same stretch when driving from Bengaluru to Shivamogga. It's almost midway, so we generally take a coffee break near Vani Vilas Sagar, on the Rangappa temple road, Haranakanive.

It's a beautiful place, with all the recent rains, roads are clean with lush green surroundings, it's a feast for photography.

Hope you don't mind me posting few pics:
Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-img_1462.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-img_1457.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-img_1464.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-img_e1463.jpg
hummer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 08:31   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
A lovely writeup with some amazing pictures!
Thank you very much!
Quote:
Planning to do this trip over the weekend as a warm-up to my Bhubaneswar trip next month. This distance is ideal to acclimatize my dog to a long drive.
Oh wow! that Bhubaneshwar trip would be an amazing drive I am sure. All the best for your trip! By the way, if you are planning to go to this Dam on the weekend, I would suggest wait till October 2nd. We were told that this dam would re-open for visitors on October 2nd. Once it is open, you can go on the actual dam and have very nice views of the water and the surrounding hills from top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
On a perfect day, driving in three wonderful machines to a lesser traveled and serene place and doing a little adventure is just awesome
Thank you!

Quote:
Hope you don't mind me posting few pics
Nice pictures! Thank you for sharing.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 12:05   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Thank you very much!
Oh wow! that Bhubaneshwar trip would be an amazing drive I am sure. All the best for your trip! By the way, if you are planning to go to this Dam on the weekend, I would suggest wait till October 2nd. We were told that this dam would re-open for visitors on October 2nd. Once it is open, you can go on the actual dam and have very nice views of the water and the surrounding hills from top!

Thank you!
Thank you, Sir! For your inputs on visiting the dam. Certainly helpful, and my daughter would also love to drive out of Bengaluru for a day trip. Frankly, we are all tired of doing rounds on ORR!
I am looking forward to the Bhubaneshwar trip too, as it would be the first cross-country trip for us. Its a pity that we have to do this during such trying times. Will miss out on certain things and visiting certain places on the way, as we are on a tight schedule. However, we plan to make the most out of it. Perhaps, I would write a travelogue too once I complete the trip, just like you and the other esteemed BHPians!
Chinmay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 09:17   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Service Update (New Brake Pads) and a Drive to Chikmagalur

Before I talk about my weekend drive to Chikmagalur, let me share some updates on the rather mundane but necessary matters - the car's maintenance.

Brake Pads Replacement: As I had mentioned a few posts ago, the Condition Based Servicing (CBS) system was showing that I needed to replace the front brake pads soon. Accordingly, I went to the service center to got the front brake pads replaced. At that time, the CBS was showing that the rear brake pads still had a life of 15,000km. However, upon inspection, the service advisor told me that I needed to replace the rear brake pads too. The thickness of the rear pads had reduced to 3.5mm, and 3.7mm was the threshold for changing pads. Thus, somehow the CBS did not catch this! After some discussions with the SA and understanding the issue, I agreed to change all brake pads as per their recommendation. Since the last change, the front brake pads lasted 27,000km and the rear ones lasted 18,000km. I am quite happy with the life of the front pads, but not so much with that of the rear pads.

The total bill including parts and labor charges (for replacing all four brake pads) came to about Rs.42,000. By the way, this was my first service after the BSI expired, and thus, the first time I directly paid for the specific service.

This just added to my lack of trust on the CBS. The CBS service reminders are quite vague and inaccurate, and based on some oversimplified algorithms which do not seem to correlate well with real-life driving conditions. This particular miss by the CBS, when it was showing a life of 15,000km for a brake pad already below the usability threshold, is as bad as it could get.

Back to Driving: Anyways, now that the rather mechanical matter of servicing was out of the way, and my ride was wearing a brand new set of brake pads, it was time for one more weekend trip. This weekend, we (I and my wife) decided to make a quick drive to Chikmagalur.

The lush green landscapes and the scenery in Chikmagalur area was breathtaking. Looks like the monsoon is still in full force there. This year I had missed my usual monsoon drive. Unexpectedly, this drive made up for that to some extent. It rained heavily most of the time, and I got to drive around in heavy rain and enjoyed fantastic views and lush green landscapes.

Luckily, in spite of the heavy rains, the roads in that area are in a good shape, and I got to drive on some fantastic roads - both in terms of surface quality and the scenic quotient. The hilly roads, the smooth tarmacs, the ups and the downs, and the continuous turns and twists in both direction, make these the perfect tracks to enjoy your car.

Anyways, I will let the pictures do the talking now (please click on the images to see the higher resolution versions).

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm1.jpg
Arrived and parked in the resort's parking lot.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm2.jpg
On a scenic drive.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm3.jpg
Deep green forests and bending roads!

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm4.jpg
Some views of the surroundings.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm5.jpg
Luckily, we got to enjoy such views before it started pouring!

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm6.jpg
One of the many turns on this lovely ghat road.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm7.jpg
"The Road" - so beautiful that no car will be a boring car to drive here :-)

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm8.jpg
"The Corner" - A driver's delight!

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm9.jpg
The car looking forward to the corner ahead, quite literally!

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm10.jpg
A random shot of the car.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm11.jpg
One last shot on that road - one of my favorite roads!

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm12.jpg
Just to show how heavily it rained most of the time.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-ckm13.jpg
And finally, one parting shot of the landscapes there before we drove back to Bangalore.
Dr.AD is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:01   #127
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful pictures AD! The car just looks BEAUTIFUL in those lush green surroundings. The roads look really welcoming for this weekend's drive. Greatly looking forward! We will have some nice photo ops
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:13   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Beautiful pictures AD! The car just looks BEAUTIFUL in those lush green surroundings. The roads look really welcoming for this weekend's drive. Greatly looking forward! We will have some nice photo ops
Thank you very much Ganesh! Yes, looking forward to the weekend drive. We will have some awesome photo ops for sure.

However, I hope it does not rain too much and create floods or water logging. As much as I love driving this car around on these scenic countrysides, I am also aware of the car's limitations in handling really bad conditions. That is why sometimes I wish I had a 4x4 vehicle to roam around freely in the monsoon. But then it would not have the driving pleasure of this car on the smooth roads. Oh well, one can't have it both ways. :-)
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 19:37   #129
BHPian

Lovely pics Dr! So looks like you did get to do your annual monsoon drive.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 08:59   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Lovely pics Dr! So looks like you did get to do your annual monsoon drive.
Thank you Deepak!

Yes, I did get a good monsoon drive that weekend in Chikmagalur. Further, l participated in another group drive the following weekend, which was coincidentally in the same general area (though not the exact same location). This was the plan that Graaja was referring to in his post above. This turned out to be an absolutely fantastic experience, with rain (varying from drizzle to heavy downpour), mist, fog (sometimes close to zero visibility), lush green landscapes, and absolutely scenic roads. So yes, I did get my fair share of monsoon drive again.

I will write a travelogue on that experience soon, but for now, could not resist sharing a teaser picture from that drive:

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0561.jpg

Last edited by Dr.AD : 30th September 2020 at 09:02.
Dr.AD is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 11:04   #131
BHPian

Lovely pics. That red is my favorite color on the F30. The only change I would make is to switch over to the 328i-style wheels. Still, your car looks top notch!
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 19:25   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Lovely pics. That red is my favorite color on the F30. The only change I would make is to switch over to the 328i-style wheels. Still, your car looks top notch!
Thank you very much!

Yes, I agree 100% about the wheels. My ideal wheels would be the 328i style wheels (That BMW Style # 397). Those look absolutely gorgeous! There are a few Red F30s on this forum with those wheels. They look smashing!

Initially I had some thoughts of changing to those wheels, but those thoughts are gone now. Mainly because I am happy with the 17" size of my current wheels. It gives very good ride without any noticeable compromise on handling. The 18" are a bit too low profile for our roads. The 18" are also more prone to bending and otherwise getting damaged on the kind of roads I often drive on. And about the looks, I have got used to these now and don't find it a big deal. So I am staying with these wheels for a while now.
Old 3rd October 2020, 06:32   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
The 18" are a bit too low profile for our roads. The 18" are also more prone to bending and otherwise getting damaged on the kind of roads I often drive on. And about the looks, I have got used to these now and don't find it a big deal. So I am staying with these wheels for a while now.
That is a good decision AD. Though the 18" wheels look awesome, they are prone to bending on our pothole filled roads and they cost a bomb to replace. 17" wheels bring the best of both worlds! And your car looks sweet with the existing wheels.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 10:27   #134
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is a good decision AD. Though the 18" wheels look awesome, they are prone to bending on our pothole filled roads and they cost a bomb to replace. 17" wheels bring the best of both worlds! And your car looks sweet with the existing wheels.
True. I bent both left side alloys (M Sport 18" light alloys). The bending was detected only during service. The process of having them replaced under Secure is a nightmare- wait for new alloys to arrive, have the car compulsarily transported on a flatbed to ASS (even though it can easily be driven), have perfectly good tyres also replaced, pay for the process (about 20k) despite Secure insurance etc.

I had decided to change to 17" Beyern forged alloys, and Pilot Sport 4s. I'm glad I did! The feel of the car has improved. Ride is slightly quiter, grip and stability even better than just with Bilstein B6 shockabs, and no worries about bending.
Attached Thumbnails
Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-20200913_170430.jpg  

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-20200914_123012.jpg  

ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:06   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Got another good drive yesterday. I and RSUDARSANAN (with his 320d) went for a leisurely Sunday drive to a lake some 100km north of Bangalore. Unfortunately the lake area itself was crowded with many cars, so we did not venture there. Nevertheless, we got a good drive around the lake and got some good photo ops. The roads there are superb - the tarmac is smooth to drive on, and there are beautiful turns and twists with scenic views all around.

Below are some photos from that drive.

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0617.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0625.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0638.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0641.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0644.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0650.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0674.jpg

RSUDARSANAN has packed some sandwiches and juice. We found a nice spot on the side of the road and had a quick mini-picnic :-)
Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0693.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0690.jpg

And finally, some parting shots before we drove back:
Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0699.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_0706.jpg
Dr.AD is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed