Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 22:09   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I'm facing a very, very similar issue in my ride. It's an annoying rattle from the rear right hand side that is only slightly apparent over rough roads, and not on smooth tarmac at all.
Exactly! You described the rattle very accurately. The only difference for me is that it is coming from rear left side.

Quote:
Amazingly, it seems to have popped up for me too when I changed rear pads about 2 months, now that I think about it. It wasn't there before that. I was a bit stumped about it myself, but this does light a few bulbs in my head. Let me know what the service advisor says, could be a similar thing for me.
Wow! Amazing coincidence. Or not a coincidence at all and it indeed something to do with brake pad change :-) Yes, sure, I will get this fixed this week and post an update here.

Thank you for sharing your experience! This gives me even more reason to ask them to focus on the brake pads related issues. Let us see.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 20th December 2020 at 22:12.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 04:27   #152
BHPian

re: Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!

Quote:
Amazingly, it seems to have popped up for me too when I changed rear pads about 2 months, now that I think about it. It wasn't there before that. I was a bit stumped about it myself, but this does light a few bulbs in my head. Let me know what the service advisor says, could be a similar thing for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post

Wow! Amazing coincidence. Or not a coincidence at all and it indeed something to do with brake pad change :-) Yes, sure, I will get this fixed this week and post an update here.

Thank you for sharing your experience! This gives me even more reason to ask them to focus on the brake pads related issues. Let us see.
Since both of you have noticed the noise after a brake pad change, I would recommend that you look at the retaining clip in the caliper and replace if needed. As per the service manual on newtis.info it's recommended to change it on every 2nd brake pad change and that clip can make the rattle like sound you both have described.
dealer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 08:09   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Since both of you have noticed the noise after a brake pad change, I would recommend that you look at the retaining clip in the caliper and replace if needed. As per the service manual on newtis.info it's recommended to change it on every 2nd brake pad change and that clip can make the rattle like sound you both have described.
Thank you very much for this info. This makes sense and looks like a very likely cause. Actually I have no clue if they changed the retaining clip or not, or whether it is broken or not. But I will now ask them to check and verify this. I will post an update here.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 21st December 2020 at 08:11.
Old 21st December 2020, 08:16   #154
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with dealer here. I remember a similar thing happening to my i20. The discs, calipers and brake pads were replaced and after driving for a few days there was a similar rattle as you've mentioned. At that time we thought it was suspension related, went to an FNG and found out that the previous mechanic hadn't fit the calipers tight enough and a clip was missing on the other side
Do get the calipers and caliper pins checked like dealer said.
Sreesh1009 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:08   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
I agree with dealer here. I remember a similar thing happening to my i20. The discs, calipers and brake pads were replaced and after driving for a few days there was a similar rattle as you've mentioned. At that time we thought it was suspension related, went to an FNG and found out that the previous mechanic hadn't fit the calipers tight enough and a clip was missing on the other side
Do get the calipers and caliper pins checked like dealer said.
Thank you. It might be a similar case here too.

Anyways, thanks all for your inputs. I have taken the earliest available service appointment which is on Thursday. I will get this checked and update here.
Old 24th December 2020, 17:24   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, thanks all for your inputs. I have taken the earliest available service appointment which is on Thursday. I will get this checked and update here.
Here is the update on the rattling sound issue. I went to BMW Navnit Motors today to get this fixed. I was a little concerned because in last two days, the noise had completely disappeared, and I was worried that I will not be able to reproduce it today. Navnit Motors assigned a test driver to me and both of us went for a test drive. I explained the sounds (in words) to the test driver, but unfortunately he could not hear anything. The car was perfect and quiet. Finally, we decided to go for a highway speed drive on NICE road, and lo and behold, the sound(s) came on with full glory! First time in my life I was so happy the hear the rattling sounds!

Anyways, so the test driver heard the sound(s) and we repeated the drive a few times so that he could fully understand the sources of the sounds. Turns out I had two different sounds from two different sources. 1. There was the sound from handbrake cable. This was coming only on hard accelerations. 2. The minor rattling from the rear on bad roads was coming from the rear sunblind. Both these sounds were coming on occasionally and were impossible to replicate on demand!

It took them only 30 minutes to fix the sounds. The handbrake cable clip was broken, and that was fixed quickly. That sound is completely gone now. The rear sunblind has minor rattling, and they did fix it, but they could not do it 100%. They said it will take time to remove the full assembly and put it back on, and this can be done during later servicing time. I agreed as I was also in a hurry today. So now there is only a faint sound, only occasionally, from the sunblind and I can live with that for now!

Overall, a great job by Navnit Motors. They were patient enough to understand the sounds, and once they found the source, they fixed it very quickly. All of this was covered in warranty of course, and I had to pay nothing! One more good experience at Navnit!

Let me share some picture. Not that they add any value, but no update is complete without pictures

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-1.jpg
Car checked-in at Navnit Motors in the morning

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-2.jpg
The handbrake cable clip being replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Check if the rattle happens when you accelerate. I had a similar issue in my F34 and it was because of a broken fastener that holds the hand brake cable. When this fastener breaks, the hand brake cable sometimes touches the drive shaft. This happens only on hard acceleration where the G force forces the hand brake cable to flex and touch the drive shaft. The rattle does not exist when you accelerate smoothly or at constant speeds.
Thanks again Graaja. Yes, this was exactly the problem (one of the two sounds) and it was solved.

Quote:
I'm facing a very, very similar issue in my ride. It's an annoying rattle from the rear right hand side that is only slightly apparent over rough roads, and not on smooth tarmac at all.

OK, so it turned out it was nothing to do with the rear brake pad change. The rear brake assembly is perfectly fine and no sound is coming from that. So looks like it was a pure coincidence that it started with brake pad change. The source of this rear sound was the sunblinds. Please check if your rear sunblind (the powered one) is the source, and see if playing around with that reduces/eliminates the noise.

Quote:
Thanks for this tip again. However, luckily, it was not the case. The brake assembly was perfect and not the source of any sound.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 24th December 2020 at 17:31.
Dr.AD is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 19:45   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to hear you managed to isolate and kill the sounds.

By the way, stupid move by BMW to drop the integrated sunblinds on the G20. Worth their weight in gold I say. I detest the aftermarket roller blinds so thinking how to manage in summer.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 20:07   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Glad to hear you managed to isolate and kill the sounds.

By the way, stupid move by BMW to drop the integrated sunblinds on the G20. Worth their weight in gold I say. I detest the aftermarket roller blinds so thinking how to manage in summer.
Thank you!

Yes, I agree that it was a big mistake to drop these sunblinds in G20. I can't think of a reason. These are extremely useful in many ways. However, in a lighter vein, one advantage of NOT having the rear sunblind is that you can install the rear dashcam in a more optimal position. My car has the BMW Advanced Eye 2.0 installed, and the rear camera had to be put bang in the middle of the rear windshield just to make room for the sunblind to move up and down. No such issues in the G20 :-)

P.S. However, I do not recommend the BMW Advanced Eye to anyone :-)

Last edited by Dr.AD : 24th December 2020 at 20:09.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 21:09   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!

Yes, I agree that it was a big mistake to drop these sunblinds in G20. I can't think of a reason. These are extremely useful in many ways. However, in a lighter vein, one advantage of NOT having the rear sunblind is that you can install the rear dashcam in a more optimal position. My car has the BMW Advanced Eye 2.0 installed, and the rear camera had to be put bang in the middle of the rear windshield just to make room for the sunblind to move up and down. No such issues in the G20 :-)

P.S. However, I do not recommend the BMW Advanced Eye to anyone :-)
. I wish we had the rear sunblind at least. Useful on summer highway drives for the kids. Sides I am thinking of some aftermarket stuff.

Want to also invest in a dashcam but that BMW one is Neanderthal era I believe, and 49K in BLR!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 21:28   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Want to also invest in a dashcam but that BMW one is Neanderthal era I believe, and 49K in BLR!
Yes, agree. I paid 46k after some "discount". The video quality is strictly average, the phone app is useless (with some serious shortcomings which could be dealbreakers - for example, the videos in phone app can neither be shared or uploaded anywhere, or read outside the app), and there are tons of software bugs. Many of the Rs. 15k dashcams (easily available on amazon.in) beat this so called BMW Advanced Eye 2.0 on all fronts!

I am in general happy with all the BMW accessories I have purchased, and BMW experiences in general. Except for this BMW dashcam! This BMW dashcam is one big exception to the rule and I would never recommend this to anyone!
Old 11th January 2021, 20:35   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

First Drive of the New Year!

First of all, wish you all a very happy new year!

I always love the first drive of the year. It always feels special. This year, our first drive of the year happened to "Shivavilas Palace" in Sandur Karnataka. The palace is also known as the Sandur Palace. This is now converted into a hotel. It is a great place to stay and also enjoy as a destination by itself!

This, both the destination and the journey, turned out to be a fantastic experience. I am planning to write a detailed travelogue when I get time. But for now, could not resist sharing a few pictures.

One of the motivations for this drive was to check out the newly completed "Hampi Expresseway" (NH50), between Chitradurga and Hospet. And this road did not disappoint at all. It is a smooth and fast highway. I absolutely enjoyed driving on this brand new road!

The beautiful tarmac of the brand new NH50:
Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-img_20210109_1038472.jpg

Somewhere on a State Highway while driving to Sandur:
Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-img_20210109_114143.jpg

The Shivavilas Palace welcomes us:
Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-img_20210109_121555.jpg

And now some photos from an impromptu photoshoot session at the Palace:
Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_13322.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_1333.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_13372.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_1347.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_1353.jpg

Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-dsc_1541.jpg

And finally, one picture near the famous "Narihalla River", about 10km from the Palace:
Red-Hot BMW: Story of my pre-owned BMW 320d Sport Line (F30 LCI). EDIT: 90,000 kms up!-img_20210109_171620.jpg
Dr.AD is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 15:47   #162
BHPian

Quote:

First Drive of the New Year!

Sir,

I have been a very big fan of your thread. I have read all your travelogues.

Hence, I have a query. I have a 2500km Road Trip planned (with my wife and my 5 year old daughter) to Mangalore from Mumbai starting tomorrow.

I have a Honda City - i-Vtec MT with 4 brand new MRF Perfinza tyres. Also, I have a BMW X1 with Pirelli P7 RFTs.

I am a bit worried about the road condition (RFTs) as I plan to drive through Satara - Kolhapur - Hubli - Yellapur - Kumta - Udupi - Mangalore.

My heart says I should take the X1 and the head says Honda City.

Seek your views sir.
RJ2285 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:36   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
I have been a very big fan of your thread. I have read all your travelogues.
Thank you very much for your kind words!

Quote:
I am a bit worried about the road condition (RFTs) as I plan to drive through Satara - Kolhapur - Hubli - Yellapur - Kumta - Udupi - Mangalore.

My heart says I should take the X1 and the head says Honda City.
I have not driven on that section recently (except for the Satara Hubli section, where I did drive recently). However, based on what I read, the road condition has nothing that the X1 can not manage. I was even planning to travel on the same road in 320d. I would definitely take X1 if I were you. So my suggestion is to take the X1 and enjoy it on those twisty hilly roads!

Do not worry about RFT. In fact, RFT offer you more peace of mind than normal tubeless. Just follow two rules: 1. Please make sure that your tyres have proper air pressure. Underinflated tyres are more likely to get damaged when you hit potholes at high speed. 2. Be careful of the potholes, go slow when roads bad bad, and as much as possible avoid hitting a pothole at high speed. With these two rules, you should be safer in the RFTs than normal tubeless. Hope this helps.

Have a good and safe trip! And please share some photos. Your drive plan is really nice - some very scenic and enjoyable roads there!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 4th February 2021 at 16:38.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:43   #164
BHPian

Quote:

Have a good and safe trip! And please share some photos. Your drive plan is really nice - some very scenic and enjoyable roads there!
Thank you for your valuable inputs sir. That inspires a lot of confidence.

I forgot to mention, on the way back, I plan to drive through Karwar towards South Goa, stay there for couple of days before I head to Mumbai.

I will follow the rules suggested by you strictly and will definitely post photos.

Thank you!
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:49   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
I forgot to mention, on the way back, I plan to drive through Karwar towards South Goa, stay there for couple of days before I head to Mumbai.

I will follow the rules suggested by you strictly and will definitely post photos.
From what I have read (again I have not driven to Goa recently so I do not know recent road conditions first hand) there is a lot of road construction going on between Karwar and South Goa, but the roads are good enough and a carefully driven X1 will manage it without issue!

As long as you drive back from South Goa to Karwar to Hubli, you will be fine. Only roads which could be problematic are roads from North Goa to Belgaum via Anmod etc. But if you stick to South Goa-Karwar-Hubli section, you will be totally fine in X1.

Have a good and safe trip!

Most Viewed