Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2018, 13:12   #1
BHPian

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs

Disclaimer: This is my first ownership review on the forum. Please do not be so critical if it doesn't meet the standards, for any grammatical mistakes, and also for my ignorance/inattentiveness before, during and after the purchasing process of my car.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that a new car experience would go so wrong. The first few months of it was so dreadful that me and my family had to suffer from great sadness and misery, for owning it. It was a pure case of how ignorance and lack of wisdom can get you into trouble. And what you learned from your mistakes will be the most hard learned lessons of your life. After all is said and done, remember, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I was able to get out of all troubles I had been thrown at, with grit and resilience. I would like to unfold sequence of events happened in the first 5 months of possession, also before and after. So, welcome to my long-term ownership review. Rather the story "My Baleno - A Journey of Ups and Downs".

This is my Baleno. Alpha 1.2. Premium Urban Blue
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo1.jpg

Delivered on August 8, 2016
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo2.jpg

Happiness it brought to my family..
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo3.jpg

..and some agonizing moments!
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo4.jpg

Some more problems!
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo5.png

Been part of some replacements
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo6.1.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo6.2.jpg

Made new friends
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo7.jpg

And ultimately, how it roared back!!
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo8.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 1st November 2018 at 08:51.
kskthere is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 13:54   #2
BHPian

re: My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs

Prologue:
It all started in the last quarter of year 2014. Back then, I was a happy customer of Maruti's best-selling little hatchback Alto (bought in 2009) that clocked nearly 40,000 km (70% city, 30% highways). No major niggles. Commute in city traffic was mostly breeze. Occasional long drives were always fun. Satisfactory ride quality and fuel efficiency. Everything seemed fine - until 4 out of 8 members in our apartment building upgraded their four wheelers in a span of 3 months, one after another. Though it looked like planned but their decision to upgrade was purely coincidental, as some new cars released and also good discounts on offer for other cars at that time. Inevitably I was bitten by the bug. With EMIs and other commitments, I did not want to take the plunge immediately and decided to take some sweet time before zeroing in on.

Initially, my requirement was simple - a petrol hatchback under 7 lakhs, with good mileage and low maintenance (like every layman ). And previously I was fixed in my mind that if ever I wanted to upgrade my car in future then it would most probably be Swift ZXI, and that strong feeling was still alive at the time. Friends, colleagues and my apartment guys, however, suggested me to consider any newly released cars. And if I was sure about Swift then asked me to go for a second hand, as it was ageing out so buying it isn't prudent. That sounded reasonable, and put me in doubt. My heart says Swift, but mind says other cars. Eventually, I went with the heart and booked Swift ZXI in July 2015. But back of my mind, it was still haunting me, so had to discuss with wife. After extensive discussion and contemplation, we postponed the idea to buy a new car to 2016 to have some financial freedom and also consider a premium segment hatchback (extended our budget to 8-9 lakhs). Hence cancelled booking of the Swift.

Booked Mysterious Violet Swift
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo9.png
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo10.jpg

In the meantime, my exploration had begun. Then it was destined to happen this way. I bumped into this wonderful forum called "Team-BHP." It completely changed my perception on cars. I was amazed by the attention-to-detail reviews, and the magnitude of other automotive information it provided. I'd gone through all the reviews (more than once) of the cars I test drove and the cars suggested by my well wishers. I jotted down all the pros and cons and compared with my requirements. Out of these cars, I liked Honda Jazz very much for its distinctive looks, driveability and interior space (much better than Elite i20), but felt the pricing was a tad high.

Below were the cars considered (all petrol versions and top-end variants only).

1. Hyundai Grand i10:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo11.jpg

• Dashboard material quality, and other interior elements
  • Decent cabin and boot space
  • Features including rear AC vent and cooling glove box
  • Slick gearbox, smooth engine and comfortable ride quality

Dislikes:
  • Front seats with no adjustable neck restraints
  • No automatic climate control
  • No touchscreen infotainment system
  • No projector headlights and DRLs

2. Hyundai Elite i20:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo12.png

• Sophisticated design and killer exteriors
  • Exceptional interior quality, fit and finish
  • Features loaded to the brim
  • Smooth gearbox and excellent NVH levels
  • Diamond-cut alloys

Dislikes:
  • Laggy 1.2L VTVT engine and mediocre mid range
  • Not fuel efficient especially in city traffic
  • Driver's seating position not for my liking
  • No touchscreen infotainment system
  • Cramped rear leg room and head room for its size
  • Comparatively small boot space

3. Honda Jazz:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo13.jpg

• Distinctive design and sharper front grille
  • All-black interiors
  • Tons of cabin space, boot space and head room
  • Magic seats
  • Revv-happy 1.2L i-VTEC engine and pliant ride quality

Dislikes:
  • Overpriced than its competitors
  • Many missing features
  • Sluggish touchscreen system
  • Thick A-pillars
  • Some design flaws in top end VX variant vis-a-vis lower V variant

Fast forward October, new Baleno 2015 was launched through Nexa. I visited Sai Service Somajiguda showroom and saw the Baleno in flesh. Initially, I didn't like the bland front look; side and rear profiles looked premium; interior space was excellent; fully loaded features; practical infotainment system; and it ticked all the boxes including price. Surprisingly, it looked a tad bigger than its competitors. Took a TD. Evident immediately how peppy the engine was. Suspension/ride comfort, braking and driveability were all satisfactory (with my family seated along with RM, I did not feel any hard/bumpy suspensions). And finally the moment of truth, we decided to go for BALENO

4. MS Baleno:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo14.jpg

• Price and fuel efficiency
  • Loaded with all essential features
  • UV Cut glasses
  • Excellent cabin and boot space; decent head room
  • Smart looking TFT MID
  • Excellent touchscreen infotainment system
  • Comfortable seating position (driver & passenger)
  • Peppy K12 engine, driveability and handling

Dislikes:
  • Bland look when viewed from the front
  • Ordinary interior and exterior build quality
  • Interior materials used not on par with the segment
  • Age-old switches and buttons
  • Alloys
  • Stock horn

Last edited by kskthere : 4th November 2018 at 08:47.
kskthere is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 16:59   #3
BHPian

Pre-booking Incidents:
Before we could proceed, my sister had already booked a Ray blue Baleno, Zeta 1.2. On delivery day (last week of April 2016), we had a confrontation with RM and Sr.RM regarding basic accessories kit and extended warranty. They said those were mandatory things to take, otherwise they cannot deliver the car. Irked by the demand, we wanted to walk out and asked them to return the amount. After much deliberation, we arrived at a compromise to take extended warranty and accessories we need. Except that issue, the proceedings went smooth and my sister's Baleno got delivered by evening. Amidst all the hustle and bustle, the Sr.RM managed to convince me to book my Baleno from their showroom and I obliged (proved costly). I booked my Baleno Alpha 1.2 Urban blue on May 5, 2016.

Note #1: My sister's Baleno met with a major accident in April of 2018. All occupants were safe though my sister had a back fracture and underwent surgery. She is also fine now. The car was declared as "Cash Loss Case." They received 100% IDV amount minus mandatory deductibles. They again bought a Baleno, Nexa blue Alpha 1.2 recently (in October). link (Maruti Baleno : Official Review)

Note #2: Earlier in another thread, I mentioned about three mistakes (2 malpractices, 1 blunder) happened pertaining to my Baleno. I chose not to divulge the details about the first mistake since the RM had already left his job and Sr.RM recently called me and pleaded not to reveal anything about it anywhere, as he may also lose his job (Sai Service Nexa Somajiguda's new GM called me after that to discuss about extended warranty fiasco and other complaints). You can agree to disagree with me, but there is no point now after more than two years to discuss something that is irrelevant anymore, that too at the expense of someone's job.

Post-booking and pre-delivery saga:
After booking my Baleno, they told me the waiting period as 6 months but promised to deliver within 3 months. In the last week of June, I called my RM about the status of the car and he told me that I'm at rank #1 in waiting list and my vehicle may be alloted in a week's time. I felt happy. A couple of weeks went by and there was no update from him. I again called him up and he again re-itereated that I'm #1 in waiting list and may get alloted in a week. This went on for another two weeks. Then I made a surprise visit to the showroom where a Urban blue Baleno is ready to be delivered. I went up to the owner and asked when he did he book. To my shock, he booked one week later than me (mistake #1 happened here). Fed up with this I emailed a complaint to Nexa customer care. Surprisingly, I got a call the very next day from RM that I'm being allotted a car (in transit) and will reach in a week's time. He also asked me to make full payment in a week.

Two days before the delivery, I submitted all the documents including loan details, opted for extended warranty (mistake #2), taken required accessories and made 100% payment (could not do PDI as the car was still in transit, at least that's what the RM told). I informed the RM to deliver the car on 8th of August, if not on 10th of August.

D-Day:
On the morning of August 8, 2016, my Relationship Manager Mr.Avinash called me to come to the showroom to check details on all the documents so on August 10, 2016 I can take delivery. When I reached the showroom by 11 a.m., he was nowhere to be seen. The receptionist told me that he went to bring the vehicle from the stockyard to the showroom (shocked). He came in a Urban blue Baleno by 12 noon and told me "Sir, this is your car!". I don't know how to react. Should I feel happy to see my beauty's shining face? Or should I be angry for not being informed properly about this in the morning? And to add fuel to the fire, he said, "Sir, we shall complete the process so you can take delivery in one hour." "Are you out of your mind?" - I uttered. "This is one of the best moments of my life and you are asking me to take it without my family?" - I continued uttering. Told him to get everything ready and I be back with my family in 2 hours. By only 4 pm I could reach the showroom again with my family. By then, the car was fitted with all the accessories, groomed well and waiting in the delivery area. The RM (with some papers in hand) came to me and said that the car is ready and asked me to verify whether all accessories were fitted as ordered. At the same time, he handed over me the documents to go through the details and sign them. In that hurry-burry, we overlooked an important detail, signed and returned them back to him (mistake #3). Later, I did a quick PDI, everything looked fine and ready to be delivered. All customary formalities completed, photographs taken and we drove our Baleno home.

In front of the showroom on delivery day
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo15.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo16.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo17.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo18.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo19.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo20.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo21.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo22.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo23.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo24.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo25.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo26.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo27.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo28.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo29.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo30.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo31.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo32.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo33.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo34.jpg

Initial Impressions:
Baleno's 1.2L K12 engine is very refined and silent at idling. The gearbox is smooth and the clutch is light. Crank the engine and step on the gas pedal, it brings smile on your face. The engine is peppy and is very quick out of the blocks.

City driving: It offers good driveability in the city. I felt the torque in low gears (especially 1st) to be less. Need to shift to 2nd gear immediately to gain power. Shifting as per MID won't aid power driving. The MID is optimized for fuel economy.

Highway driving: For a car weighing only 890 kgs, I was surprised by the pliant ride quality and handling even at speeds 130 kmph. Touch 150 kmph the car starts to vibrate. I think the sweet spot is between 90-120 kmph. And if driven between 80-90 kmph results in optimal fuel efficiency. At engine speeds around 2500-3000 rpm where maximum torque is produced. Revving up to red line also doesn't strain the engine.

Last edited by kskthere : 4th November 2018 at 22:12.
kskthere is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 19:27   #4
BHPian

POST-DELIVERY Saga:

Referring to mistake #3: I was also at fault for this mistake for not being vigilant enough, but I'd rather put the blame largely on the showroom (all concerned) because even after giving all ID/residential address proofs, they entered wrong address (area); and also, not properly informing about the status of my car resulted in hurried delivery. The goof-up is such that they mentioned correct address on Invoice and Insurance certificate, but wrong one on RTO-related documents. I came to know about this blunder when I received a call from the RTO agent where he asked me to come with my car to Malakpet RTO (rather than RTO Uppal). So it was chaos again. Finally, they agreed that it was a mistake from their end, and also agreed to take all necessary steps to get the registration done at concerned RTO. After many follow-ups and email exchanges, my car was finally registered in the 2nd week of December.

Amberpet instead of Habsiguda (red box):
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo35.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo36.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo37.jpg

...and the UNTHINKABLE:
Wisdom can’t be acquired simply through reading books; knowledge is one thing, wisdom quite another. No matter what you are, some situations make you go dump, if you are not wise enough. And it happened with me.

We live in a colony in Habsiguda which is about 100 mtrs long and the far end is dead end. Both ends of the colony have incline, with the dead end a bit more, resulting in a slope in the middle section of the road. On August 31, 2016, it was raining cats and dogs from early morning. At 7 am, the middle section was flooded with rain water as drainage got blocked. At 8:30 am, I went down to check the situation if I can drop my son at his school. It was still raining and water level on the road didn't decrease. We wanted to retire and go home. Then came my neighbor with her daughter (same school and same standard as my son) saying some cars are going through water (true indeed) and the water level is not that much. She went on to say if her husband was home he would have easily driven through that water. I was dumbstruck and embarrassed. Then I took a decision that I regret every day and I think will regret for the rest of my life. The water level started right at our apartment's ramp. So I have to drive down, take immediate left and drive through water simultaneously. It started to rain heavily again. With both kids in the backseat, I cranked the engine, got down the ramp, turned left, started accelerating with half clutch pressed and drove through water for almost 20 to 25 meters. I somehow managed to reach the other side and dropped off the kids at school, which is merely half a km away, but it took 15 minutes because of traffic. While returning, I thought this time I have to drive straight so it would not be that tough as compared to before. Here I failed to assess the situation. As it was raining heavily when we started from home, water level rose up to knee level or more, and as the far end being a bit more inclined, the power and force of water was more towards this end. As soon as I drove through, a surge of water wave hit the car and the car stopped (I hated its light body weight for the first time). I know I should not crank the engine, but instinctively my hand pressed push-start button. It was a total brain-fade moment. I sat in the car not knowing what to do. I was heart broken seeing water slowly seeping into the cabin. It was not even a month old car. I thought it was all over. Then I come to decision I had to do something quick before there is more damage. I put the car in ignition mode, opened the door and tried to push the car back. Then a couple of guys came to help me in pushing the car back. It took around 30 minutes to put the car in a safe place. I called to Nexa On-road support, Sai service and RKS Motors for towing services. Got answer from everyone that towing vehicle would reach my place in hour one. On that day, as it rained heavily, many people faced problems with towing services as towing vehicles were stuck either in traffic or on-duty somewhere else (tow-vehicle driver told me). Eventually a flat-bed towing vehicle reached my place only around 8 pm. When I reached RKS Motors Uppal, it was around 9 pm and security guards did not allow my car inside as it's closed. I called to works manager number but his phone was not reachable (thought I hit a roadblock). I explained the security guards the situation and had to plead multiple times just to park the car inside the premises. Finally, they agreed to let my car in after taking permission from someone over phone.

On towing vehicle:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo38.jpg

Managed to park here:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo39.jpg

Water ingress into cabin:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo40.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo41.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo42.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo43.jpg

The Ordeal continues..:
The next day morning (Sept 1st), I met the works manager and explained everything. He said they already received two flooded cars the other day and only one technician available who deals with engines, so I had to wait for sometime before my car can be addressed. Job card was opened and only in the evening they opened the bonnet and checked inside. Technician told me water ingress had taken place and they need to open the engine only then they can assess the damage. I asked the works manager whether was it claimable under insurance? (I did not have any idea that an add-on called engine protect exists in insurance, and even if it's included cranking engine when car stopped in water would void it. That stupid works manager didn't pay any heed to my explanation and asked the body shop guys to take over the case). The car was shifted to body repair department. Service advisor gave me surveyor visit timings and told me to come the next day.

Sometimes you will soon realize it's not your time when things go bad to worse. With the festive season just around the corner, the surveyor didn't turn up the next day, as do some staff over next few days. The surveyor visited the service center only after 4 days. It's already a week now and there seems to be no progress. After multiple rounds to ASC and follow ups with the WM and surveyor, I came to know that surveyor already asked the technical staff to start the engine manually to check whether the engine was seized or not and to send the estimate of repair. Then only he can tell what would be covered. Due to limited staff, miscommunication and other flooded vehicles, they couldn't do it and got delayed for another week. On September 12, 2016, the insurance person received the estimate and he informed me only few things would be covered under warranty (I did not care to ask him what are those). I headed straight to the works manager and asked him, "How many days will it take to repair and deliver my car if I bear all the expenses out of my pocket?" He told it can be delivered in 3-4 days provided upholstery completely dried and cleaned (it was drizzling for the past few days).

On September 20th, the works manager informed me that my car would be ready and I can take the delivery by evening. I visited ASC and WM told me they have fixed a temporary battery as the OEM Exide battery wasn't charging (but on delivery day they re-fixed the original one). He also showed me the final bill, which was around INR 30K. Here he used his marketing skills to his best, taking advantage of the situation, by trying to sell MCP package . He drastically reduced the bill to INR 20K by making some changes, and asked me to pay the same INR 30K, which now includes MCP also. With no experience and no support, I had no option but to agree. Somehow the delivery was getting delayed again. Around 7 pm, technicians along with some SA and WM were discussing something serious standing near my car. When inquired about it, the WM told me the push-start-stop module got blown and it needs to be replaced, and they don't have stock of it. Means, my car cannot be delivered again. Finally, on September 21, 2016, my ordeal came to an end and my car was home, for the second time. Final bill was around INR 26K.

Wet air filter:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo44.jpg

Hood without engine:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo45.jpg

..and loney engine:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo46.jpg

Bent conrads, gaskets etc:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo47.jpg

Engine cooling:

Serious discussion:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo48.jpg

Blown push start-stop module:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo49.jpg

Temporary battery:
Name:  BO64.png
Views: 33419
Size:  573.0 KB

Testing OE battery with voltimeter:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo65.jpg

Emotional moment:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo66.jpg

MCP:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo52.jpg

Estimate:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo50.jpg

Final bill:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo51.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 1st November 2018 at 14:39.
kskthere is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 12:11   #5
BHPian

With my Baleno back home, I had to go down to the cellar like more than 50 times within a week as many of our colony members wanted to see it (as if someone returned from hospital). I heard some mixed talk from them that once a car has hydrostatic lock and repaired, it is never the same again (robotic vs manual engine assembly). My neighbor (whose wife instigated me to drive through water had became my biggest motivational guru after my ordeal; maybe he felt guilt , or maybe not, but was pillar of support) explained me since it was a petrol car and since the damage to the engine was not that major, there shouldn't be any problem. And said if it was a diesel car then the situation could have been lot worse (experts need your comments on this). Nevertheless, I wanted to test it out its performance by going on a long drive.

Finally home (neighbor's Verna):
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo54.jpg

..and ready to roar:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo56.jpg

Meanwhile, the car was doing good as expected in city traffic. Surprisingly, fuel efficiency in B2B traffic had increased (MID showed anywhere from 17-20 kmpl all the time for 150-200 km I drove after repair). After a week or so, I noticed yet another problem. When I parked my car on an incline at a shopping mall, I noticed the parking brake wasn't functioning properly. Even if I pull it hard up, the lever was becoming loose after sometime. I immediately reached out to WM and he asked me to bring the vehicle to ASC. They inspected and told the cables aren't tightening enough so need to replace them. Both cables were replaced and also 1st servicing was done.

1st servicing:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo-53.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo67.jpg

With everything in order, we (with my sister's family) set out on a journey to Srisailam, which is nearly 220 km from Hyderabad. The drive has very good roads, some bad patches, single roads and ghat roads. So it was an ideal trip to test the stability, ride quality, handling, fuel efficiency and more importantly engine performance of the car. To my surprise, the car performed magnificently. It was such a bliss to drive the car all through the journey. MID was above 20 kmpl all the time with AC on most of the trip. Suspension setup in Baleno is well suited for long drives. Some undulations on patchy roads and pot holes can be felt in cabin. High speed stability and handling were impressive. The engine performed as expected. It was as smooth as before (not able to make out if engine is on). Performance especially at ghat sections was also impressive. Overall, I was satisfied with my Baleno's performance post repair.

Along with my sister's car:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo55.jpg

En route to Srisailam:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo57.jpg

Exploring mountains and valleys:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo58.jpg

Family members:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo59.jpg

Yours truly:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo60.jpg

UB & RB:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo61.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo62.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo68.jpg

The apprehensions I had after the hydrostatic lock repair had long gone by the time of 2nd servicing.

2nd servicing bill:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo63.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 1st November 2018 at 14:43.
kskthere is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:03   #6
BHPian

**Now, keeping all the problems aside, let's get into actual details:

Why Baleno:
When new Baleno was launched in India, Hyundai Elite i20 was having its supremacy over the premium hatchback segment. Baleno became a runaway success such that within a few months of its launch it pipped i20 to become new market leader. One of the prime reasons why it was hugely successful among mass market was the fact that it packed with all the powerful features at such an economical price. It filled the gaps where i20 lacked. Like, dual airbags and ABS as standard across all variants, superb in-car infotainment system, projector headlights with DRLs, UV cut glasses, multicolor MID with good graphics, spacious interiors and bigger boot that too at whopping 20-50K cheaper per model. Of course, not to forget its decent driveability and fuel efficiency. Even though it had chinks in its armor (as do any other car), it satiated most of the customers' requirements and expectations. That's why it still commands waiting period even after 3 years of its launch. So all these factors contributed to our decision to go for Baleno.

Why Petrol Car: Well, mostly these are known facts about petrol cars like less price, less noise and less maintenance; but, generally I like silent cabin and not a big fan of that diesel clatter. Also, my daily commute is approximately 30 km does make the decision justified (now mostly working from home though).

Why Urban Blue: It was my wife's choice (no choice for me but to agree ). Initially, when we made the decision to buy Baleno, we had Ray blue color in mind. But my sister grabbed that choice before we could do, so didn't make any sense to have same color cars. My next choice was Granite grey, but my wife opposed it as we already had black Alto for 7 years. White & silver are not wife's interest. Out of remaining Autumn orange and Urban blue, we picked Premium Urban Blue. Though it is one of the least selling colors (now extinct), I like it quite a bit. It shines like anything.

Why Alpha: I'm a guy who always like top-spec gadgets because I don't wanna repent later for some missing features. Car is something we don't swap it frequently like any other gadget. Though we can add some aftermarket things at much a cheaper price, but I think it is best to leave some OEM features untouched. And there is all the more reason to buy Alpha because it looks fab and unique in that variant.

Some features played decisive role in choosing Baleno:
  • Comparatively lower price with good fuel efficiency
  • Spacious interiors and boot
  • Practical cabin
  • Good driving position with height adjustable seat
  • Dual front airbags
  • ABS with EBD
  • Power steering with tilt and telescopic function
  • AC with climate control
  • Steering mounted controls and voice command
  • Automatic headlamps
  • UV cut glasses
  • Keyless entry and go with push button start
  • Projector headlamps with DRLs
  • SmartPlay Infotainment system and reverse camera

After choosing Baleno, here are all the details, briefly, again :

Date of Booking: 05/05/16
Date of Allotment of car: 30/07/16
Date of Delivery: 08/08/16
Date of Registration: 08/12/2016

Price Break-up:
  • Ex-showroom price: ₹7,33,783/-
  • Life Tax @14%: ₹1,03,615/-
  • Insurance (Zero dep): ₹25,290/-
  • Registration fee: ₹635/-
  • Accessories: ₹19,460/-
  • Extended warranty (4 years/80 km): ₹9,055/-
  • On-road price: ₹8,91,838/-
Accessories taken from Nexa:
  • Seat covers
  • Floor mats
  • Car cover
  • Tomtom charger
  • mud flaps
  • Body side mouldings
  • Bumber guards
  • Dicky mat
  • Trash box
  • Floot mats

Other accessories from Nexa/Maruti (later on):
  • Illuminated sill door guards
  • Changed stock front grille to RS grille
  • Suzuki Connect
Aftermarket accessories/modifications:
  • SensAiry BLE TPMS
  • Hardwired Viofo A119 v2.0 dashcam
  • Auto-folding ORVM relay kit
  • Lumax windtone horn
  • 3M noodle mats
  • Metal sill plates
  • Changed front cabin lights to OSRAM 1W LEDs
  • Changed dome light to 32 mm festoon LED
  • Changed stock foot-well lights to S-Cross lights
  • Changed puddle lights to OSRAM 1W LEDs
  • Changed licence plate lights to OSRAM 0.5W LEDs
  • Changed bootlamp to OSRAM 0.5W LEDs

Servicing, Repairs and Replacements:
1. Hydrostatic lock repair on 21/09/16
2. 1st service with parking brake cables change on 03/10/16 @ ODO 1050 km
3. 2nd service on 14/02/17 @ ODO 5275 km
4. 3rd service along with complete suspension kit replacement (under warranty) on 23/08/17 @ ODO 8842 km
5. 4th service on 28/07/18 @ ODO 17097 km
6. USB/Aux socket replacement on 07/08/18
7. Steering column assembly replacement (under warranty) on 19/09/18

Miscellaneous:
  • MCP for 5 years or 50,000 km
  • FASTag from PayTM
Future Modifications:
  • Rear dashcam installation
  • Changing stock fog lamps to LEDs
  • LED rear reflectors
  • Rear bumper skirt fixation
  • 3M acoustic dampening

Last edited by kskthere : 3rd November 2018 at 09:26.
kskthere is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 01:05   #7
BHPian

Exteriors:

Design inspired by Suzuki iK-2 concept, Baleno incorporates a cleaner exterior with curvaceous elements that highlight its new “liquid flow” design theme. Its design doesn't grab eyeballs is an understatement. It does look modern and chic, and many will like the styling. While the design of the front-end is a mixed bag, it starts to look pretty when you step towards the rear, where the sloping roofline, high waistline and raked windscreen give it a premium look. The side view of Baleno gives it an imposing stance and good presence. Whenever I see a Baleno on road, the design still feels fresh and contemporary. Though Maruti played it safe for now, I strongly feel the front end is where aggressive changes are warranted.

V-Shaped front grille with chrome accent with body-colored front bumper (that bland look is not for my liking). Bi-xenon projectors and LED daytime running lights.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo69.png

The chrome strip neatly extends into the headlamps.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo70.jpg

Swept back headlight cluster. Its throw is excellent when on highways. While driving in city, I mostly switch them off for fear of blinding the on comers or inconvenience caused to front cars.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo71.jpg

The throw of the stock fog lamps is mediocre. I'm upgrading them to LED fog lamps.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo72.jpg

All three in action.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo72.1.jpg

Air dams with radiator seen here.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo73.jpg

Nice looking rear profile with raked windscreen. Thick chrome strip is integrated with reverse camera. The rear bumper is simple and looks loud (especially in Urban blue color). Planning to install rear bumper under skirt. (sorry for excessive stickering and my kids peeping out )
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo74.jpg

I like this 45-degree view from rear (not exactly a 45-degree pic here)
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo75.jpg

Striking side-view stance.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo76.jpg

Prominent UV cut glasses: I like the fact that Maruti included (only in Alpha & Zeta) this cool feature. They not only accentuate the looks by providing a slight tint effect, but also help the cabin to remain cool.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo77.jpg

Roof with antenna:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo78.jpg

Alpha gets different set of tail-lamps. It looks good during night, that 3rd strip is dummy.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo87.1.jpg

These reflectors do reflect pretty well at nights, but I'm gonna change them to illuminating LED reflectors soon.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo88.png

A closer look at one of the sensors:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo89.png

No mention of fuel type:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo79.jpg

The sweep of the wipers is adequate but stream by jet washers could have been better.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo80.jpg

A closer look of the protruding tri-nozzle washer:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo81.jpg

ORVMs are wide and adjustable from inside, but doesn't fold when locked or unfold when unlocked. I've installed auto-folding relay kit.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo82.jpg

Front door chrome handle with keyless entry sensor (both front doors have sensors).
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo83.jpg

Rear door chrome handle:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo84.jpg

Gun metal 16" alloys, though doesn't look premium but somehow suits Baleno.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo85.jpg

Tire manufacturer and profile: Many Baleno owners complained about issues like sidewall cut, bulging etc in Apollo tires, but I didn't face any till now. They do transmit quite a bit of road noise into the cabin on highways.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo86.jpg

Tire ribs at 18000 km:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo86.1.jpg

New face after RS grille change
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo89.1.jpg

It does add some aggressive character to front view now.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo89.2.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 4th November 2018 at 21:44.
kskthere is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:07   #8
BHPian

Interiors:

This is where Baleno scores high, be it features, comfort or practicality. Ingress and egress from both front and rear doors is very convenient. Step inside, interiors feel very spacious, and dashboard and MID look contemporary. The driving seat is very comfortable and easily adjustable to desired position. The steering wheel is good to hold and can be adjusted for reach and rake. It has minimal buttons only on the left side to operate infotainment system and under side buttons to control phone calls. Infotainment system and air-con vents provide a unique design to the dashboard and looks premium. IMO, AC is best in class in the segment. USB and Aux ports neatly placed. There are enough storage spaces to store stuff. One-liter water bottles can be placed in all fours doors. The ABC pedals are well spaced out. Rear leg room and head room is very impressive, but back occupants may suffer from under-thigh support. Rear seats can accommodate 3 adults easily. No rear AC vents.

Another USP is Baleno's attractive instrument cluster which comprises of tachometer, speedometer and 4.2-inch Multi Information Display. MID shows instantaneous average fuel economy, range, driving time, current odo reading, trip A or B, temperature, time, torque & power etc, and several other alerts too. We can also change various settings through MID.

The infotainment system is a 7-inch touchscreen unit with simple layout divided into 4 quadrants: Listen, Call, Drive and Connect. Touch response is good. It is very user friendly and provides connectivity through Bluetooth, USB, Aux, and SD card. Until December 2017, it only supported Apple CarPlay and MirrorLink functionalities, but now it supports Android Auto also. This head unit also doubles up as reverse camera and navigation. Offline maps are supplied in a SD card for navigation.

SLDA version updates:
  • OEM version 0740 (first lot Balenos had 0730)
  • Flased by myself to version 1740 in July 2017
  • Flased to version 1750.2 in December 2017
  • Flased to version 1760.2 in October 2018

Spacious interiors
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo90.0.jpg

All-black interiors exudes elegance and look upmarket.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo90.1.jpg

Comfortable front seats; rear seats lack under-thigh support.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo91.jpg

Driver seat adjustable lever:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo92.jpg

Pics show how much leg room available. Left to right: Both seats adjusted to normal position, complete back and complete front.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo93.jpg

Steering mounted controls, telephony and voice controls, wiper and headlight stalks.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo95.jpg

Steering adjusted to my driving position.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo96.jpg

Tilt and telescopic adjustable lever:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo97.png

Attractive instrument cluster with tachometer on the left, TFT MID in the center and speedometer on the right.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo98.jpg

AC buttons and steering controls lit up in parking mode, looks beautiful especially at nights.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo120.jpg

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo121.jpg

Depiction of various MID displays.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo99.jpg

Infotainment system enables us to listen/play music from different sources; receive and make calls; maps for navigation and also connect Apple CarPlay, Android Auto or MirrorLink supported smartphones.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo100.jpg

Navigation using SD card.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo101.jpg

Android auto functionality:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo102.jpg

Reversing camera, day vs night.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo119.jpg

Climate control buttons with nice little circled display that shows temperature, fan speed, air flow direction, and re-circulation and fresh air mode, and side AC vents.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo103.jpg

Driver and passenger side door armrests have cushion pads. Also seen buttons to operate windows and ORVMs.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo104.jpg

Storage space in center armrest.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo105.jpg

12V socket and USB port.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo107.jpg

Driving and passenger side sunvisors, both have vanity mirrors.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo108.jpg

Baleno is equipped with Nippon speakers (see hoenycomb shape inside the grille), and two tweeters on either side of the dashboard.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo109.jpg

Front cabin (bluetooth mic included) and dome lights (changed to LEDs).
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo110.jpg

Auto-dimming IRVM. Lit-up in green light when 'ON'.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo111.jpg

Thick back seat headrests do hinder rear visibility.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo112.jpg

Much needed rear quarter glass to add light to the cabin.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo113.jpg

Push start-stop button. Lit-up when parking lights are turned ON. Also, when car unlocked, it lit-up and goes off.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo114.jpg

Leather-wrapped gear lever is nice to hold.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo116.jpg

Tire pressure label is seen when driver side door is opened. Rearward 12V socket with space to place phone. Adjustable seatbelt.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo117.jpg

Boot space is 339 liters with high loading lip.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo118.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 3rd November 2018 at 23:20.
kskthere is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 22:47   #9
BHPian

Some not so impressive bits:

No underbody protection, not acceptable. Components are prone to hit undulating terrains or stones, and exposed to dirt and water.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo122.png

Big open space in the hood. Initially felt some engine component is missing
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo128.jpg

Big and weird looking neck restraints do stick out like a sore thumb.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo123.jpg

Poor finish quality of roof liner especially noticeable when back seat headrests are lifted to limit.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo124.jpg

No adaptive lines in reversing camera:
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo129.jpg

No sliding center arm rest (like in Brezza). Unless you adjust the driving seat way back, it's pretty much useless for drivers.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo125.jpg

Some big gaps between both tail lights and trunk, and bonnet and front grille. Not impressive.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo127.jpg

Spare is a 15" tire with same size rim. I'd have loved to see Maruti including stock size alloy and tire as spare.
My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo126.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 7th November 2018 at 02:04.
kskthere is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 02:11   #10
BHPian

Overall Experience:

At two years and three months and with ODO just crossing 18K km (at the time of penning down this review), I truly believe that now is the perfect time to share the overall experience. Apart from some initial hiccups, the overall experience has been nothing short of amazing. When driven sedately, my Baleno amazes with awesome mileage. When driven at speeds, it impresses with stability. When taking a corner to fast, it surprises with handling. And when drifted, it astonishes with its balance. It has been put to test in different terrains and it has come out as winner. Though I'm a sedate driver most of the time, I do spirited driving when the road is empty and the stretch is tempting, occasionally; and, sometimes taking a corner to fast - all the while only to satiate my inner BHP (pun intended) and only when driving solo. And it doesn't mean I involve in any kind of drag racing or provoked driving. I'm a considerate driver 90% of the time. Every time I get behind the wheel, Baleno didn't disappoint me, be it city or highway driving.

I'm no expert, but here are some pointers based on my experience:

Seating: IMO, the driver's seat is the best in the segment that I've tested. Side bolsters, padding and neck restraints provide much needed support and comfort. Adjustable seat height and rake/reach adjustable steering means you can drop down low in the car and still reach the wheel comfortably. But I usually adjust it at neutral position so that I can see the bonnet. Visibility even at the lowest is still great but needs some guess work. I've traveled to quite a few number of long drives, but never faced any back problems driving for long hours.

Fuel Efficiency: The claimed ARAI mileage for Maruti Baleno manual transmission petrol variant on the highway is 21.4 kmpl and 17.8 kmpl in the city. No prizes for guessing that the Baleno is the most fuel efficient car in its class. I usually test the mileage with tankful-to-tankful method. The figures are impressive. On an average, I get 16 kmpl in city and 20 kmpl on highways with 95% AC on. Of course, it all depends on traffic, road conditions and how you drive.

Build Quality: This is the weak point in Baleno. And this is what Maruti has to say:
Quote:
“The HEARTECT platform is made up of high-tensile steel which makes it very lightweight yet rigid. The Heartect platform ensures better safety and performance. Also, the driveability of the vehicle is said to improve”.
My concern is not about weight of the car, but about thin panels used on the exterior skin and ordinary materials inside the cabin (definitely to boost fuel efficiency). This is a premium segment car and IMO Maruti should definitely up the ante in this regard. Though I didn't any face any issues like dimples or dents on the car caused with light hits, pressed with hand, hailstorms etc., many owners did vent their anger in regards to this.

Safety: Poor build quality means Baleno is not safe (opinion of many people). Also they add up, "Sturdily-built cars are the safest". Yes, it is true to some extent, but based on a vehicle’s appearance, or what you may have heard about a particular make and model, in most cases you cannot judge whether or not a given car, cross-over, or SUV is safe. There are many factors to be considered, and how you drive and maintain your car is also important. Even NCAP says - "A safety rating can never fully capture the complexity of the real world". There were some (in fact quite a few) cases where Baleno involved in major accidents and still occupants survived with minor injuries. The classic example is my sister's Baleno. If it wasn't for the lightweight (my guess only) of the car then their Baleno would have tipped over (my nephew swerved to right to avoid hitting an animal and hit the drop-off of several feet). So Baleno cannot entirely be considered as unsafe just because it's light in weight. With dual airbags and ABS with EBD, I feel it has good enough safety features and crumple zones do absorb the impact (in collision) to keep the cabin safe. Usually, driving on highways, I maintain speeds between 80-120 kmph, and the car feels stable and assuring, never felt nervous.

Suspension: Because of Baleno's low kerb weight, Maruti designed stiff suspension for better stability and handling, especially for highway driving, but it affected ride quality. One can feel bumpiness when driven on undulations, patchy cement roads, small speed breakers etc. Long drives were always comfortable and city drives occasionally felt bumpy, but never felt it as a deal breaker until I test drove a 2017 Baleno. It was way smoother than my car. Thanks to Baleno community, I managed to change complete suspension setup under warranty.

Post suspension setup replacement: The modified suspension setup is on the softer side. Maruti did manage to handle the ride-handling trade off better than before. The car now soaks bumps, undulations well without compromising the highway stability and handling. There is a bit of body lean if the car is taken around a corner at moderate speeds. After suspension change, I feel the car is raised a bit and GC is more.

Steering: The steering wheel is pretty light for city travel and doesn't put undue pressure on hands, wrists or shoulders. Light steering means parking in tight spaces isn't that tough. It does tend to add up a decent weight when driven on highways. It is crisp, accurate and provides good feedback to sense how the car is turning and cornering. Initially, I thought that steering wheel not coming to a center position automatically after a turn as a problem. But got to know it's designed that way (as per MASS). Some Baleno owners told me it does re-center when turned at a decent speed, but in my case the problem (if I can call so) remained same.

Post steering column replacement: It is as smooth and accurate as before, but this time when I corner at a decent speed the steering wheel does re-center, may be 60% to 70%. Other Baleno owners should comment on this how their experience has been regarding the same.

Braking: Baleno's braking performance is impressive. It has good amount of stopping power and the brake pedal bite is ideal to judge the desired distance to stop. While panic braking, once I heard 'krrrrr' kind of sound. I could not re-enact the same scenario to experience the same, but generally braking is good. With ABS and EBD, it does help to maintain steering ability.

Tires: I haven't faced any issues with stock Apollo tires so far (many Baleno owners feel they are worst). The 16" rubber do make noise and penetrate into the cabin. I also did some off-roading, driven on rough patches, concrete roads and mud, they did manage to perform well. Yes I do feel sometimes the grip could have been better, but for normal usage their performance is satisfactory.

Ride and Handling: My Baleno with slightly softer suspension setup (compared to previous) do exhibit some body roll around corners. Handling characteristics are fairly decent for this family hatchback. Now there is more compliant ride quality. The rear passengers do not feel any bumpiness.

Bottom-line: With peppy engine, fuel efficient, loaded with features, good handling characteristics, pliant ride quality, nimble around corners, essential safety features and value for money, more often than not, Baleno petrol variant is the most sought-after car in premium hatchback segment for many who are upgrading from smaller hatchbacks or planning to buy their first. If build quality is a concern, better look somewhere else. If only Maruti can take some measures to improve build quality in its next iteration then there is no question of Baleno dethroned from its position anytime sooner.

Final Words: If you don't look back at your car after you park it, you own the wrong car. I've driven enough cars (B2 segment) to understand exactly what I want in a car, and Baleno came very close to my requirements. To buy one was the happiest moment in my life. And to see what it went through initially was heartbreaking. I've developed an emotional connect with my Baleno. No matter what others say, I love my Baleno. I know I may buy another car in future, but this car will have a special place in my heart.

Thank you for going through my ownership review patiently. Safe and happy motoring!

My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs-bo130.jpg

Last edited by kskthere : 7th November 2018 at 02:25.
kskthere is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 07:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 09:07   #12
BHPian

Lovely and detaled thread , loved every bit of the information that you have provided. Amazing level of information shared. Hope to see your steed very soon at our next TeamBhp Hyderabad meet. Wishing you lots of happy drives. Keep traveling and sharing your experience.

Last edited by ARAY : 9th November 2018 at 09:12.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 09:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review there. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about the initial trauma. I can imagine how painful it would have been to see the 1 month old car being opened up.

About build quality, well what can we say now that even the 'perceived well-built' i20 shows unstable structure, although the exact Indian version hasn't been tested. And the new Swift's crash rating too doesn't help. Guess both the top 2 selling premium hatches are equally unsafe/safe now. Thanks to the manufacturer's double standards for developing and developed countries

The mileage figures are terrific though. Its more than my 2010 Estilo with the K10B engine. Wish you a wonderful ownership ahead.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 09:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Great review there. With all the ups and downs, I'm guessing its smooth sailing from now.
I'm sad that your ownership experience is not the typical hassle-free Maruti ownership.
Wish you the very best
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 12:48   #15
BHPian

Re: My Maruti Baleno 1.2L Alpha - A Journey of Ups & Downs

Very detailed and informative thread. Eagerly waiting to meet you and her at our Hyderabad meet. Keep revving!
shreyan_k10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks