Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2009, 11:58   #106
Senior - BHPian

78000 kms update

Got the oil change and filter change done at 71000 kms. Used OWS this time - read about that here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post1362358 (OWS Goodies in my baby: A pleasant change)

The big radiator fan simply stopped and twisted in it's place. Thankfully it happened right outside my home. Waited for a while for the temp needle to come down and drove home without ac. Parked the car and got a couple of guys to check it out. Wasn't very comfortable with their diagnoses and hence decided to take it one step at a time.

1st step - change the fan. Spoke to JMD / Autobahn and the fan cost was 11000. Went to Opera house and got the fan for 4500 bucks. Got it fitted and all was fine. It's been 5000 kms and the car is running perfect.

The usual rear door rattle is still present. The ICE has developed serious static (going to land up at Ajay's place one day).

My front bumper is cracked as a manhole gave way and the bumper took the brunt of the weight. A.S.S quotes 13-15K for a new one with painting - I am trying to locate one from other sources (help will be appreciated)

As you know -
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

A new set of tyres have been installed - Bridgestone Turanzas AR10 - 5500 / tyre (grey market). Lovely tyres, comfortable and very silent.
a special mention to the tyres - absolute SUPERB set of tyres these AR10's are turning out to be. Comfortable, Silent and now very reliable.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:12   #107

Hi, Realy appreciate your efforts

Hi, I really appreciate the efforts you have taken to write the detailed experience over the years. I own a VRS myself and love the car to bits.

I had a problem a few months back when the timing belt broke at 58K, though the recommended replacement of the belt by Skoda was at 90K (or was it 120K i forget). I had to shell out Rs 80K for the repairs. Have you had similar problems? How frequently do u change the timing belt?

Also occationally i get a harsh noise for less than a second after starting the car, have had this checked out by JMD Nerul several times but no avail. Any ideas what could be causing it?
Old 10th July 2009, 18:13   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No word on the fuel efficiency, NC?

Quote:
1st step - change the fan. Spoke to JMD / Autobahn and the fan cost was 11000. Went to Opera house and got the fan for 4500 bucks. Got it fitted and all was fine. It's been 5000 kms and the car is running perfect.
European car ownership 101 : Find a good independent garage once the warranty is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdhanak View Post
I had a problem a few months back when the timing belt broke at 58K, though the recommended replacement of the belt by Skoda was at 90K (or was it 120K i forget). I had to shell out Rs 80K for the repairs.
Ouch, sorry to hear about your timing belt snapping at only 58,000 kms?! I usually change my timing belts at 60K and thought that was early.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:12   #109
BANNED

hey the timing belt change is at 80k...mine has done only 56k...i went into the 60k(6 months duration service) service to marikar,the authorised workshop here at cochin.i showed the service adviser the car and asked him about the TB.He said if it was skoda diesel it should be the right time.But since it is the petrol and hence the load on the engine is too low,the timing belt snapping wouldnt occur anywhere before 80k.He also told me that there are people who havent changed the belt even after 100k and stil no problem.He checked my engine and said there is no issue of belt.If there was any issue in belt,there would be a weird sound while starting the engine.The sound prolongs for some time and disappears after a while after the engine has heated up.Even though all the components(except the water pump) including the tensioner and the TB cost only upto 7 k,its a hectic job to remove all the components.I feel a little worried on stripping down the car so early.So is it advisable to stay til 80k and use the max of the TB there by getting a good value for money and changing it or should i change it right now to avoid risk of snapping.I dont drive rash.i always keep in mind that the RPM doesnt go above 3000 always,except for a couple of show offs that occur only once in a while.Please drop in your suggestions guys.

Last edited by HAFI : 14th July 2009 at 10:23.
Old 15th July 2009, 03:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

Change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFI View Post
i always keep in mind that the RPM doesnt go above 3000 always,except for a couple of show offs that occur only once in a while
Why buy the RS then? Why not the 1.9 L&K?
Old 16th July 2009, 12:31   #111
Senior - BHPian

@ Hafi - If you are the finnicky kinds, I would suggest get the TB replaced. The SC is correct - my TB started making a racket when the TB was on it's way out. In the early stages the sound would go when the car got warmed up but later on it kept persisting - I got it changed.

Yes - it is a task to change the TB and the tensioner and the pulley but with the correct tools it should be done in a couple of hours.

@ GTO - - FE hovers around 9 - 9.5 kmpl.
Old 16th July 2009, 15:24   #112
evo
BHPian

I got the timing belt changed in our Elantra at about 50k KM. One workshop was quite annoyed at the thought of doing so much work, and they kept telling me not to do it, the other workshop promptly ordered the parts and then on another day took about 4 hours to do it.
Old 7th September 2009, 23:07   #113
Senior - BHPian

82156 kms

Climbing towards Powai from Vikhroli at 1830 hours - get stuck in horrendous traffic. It's a climb on a hill towards Kailash Complex and I'm consistently in 1st gear. Takes me 45 minutes to traverse approx 3 kms.

As I reach the top of the hill - the clutch pedal looses feel completely. I could press the pedal with my little finger - the car is running fine though. First thought is the clutch is gone !

But I drive on and I smell the clutch burning. Stop the car for a while and start driving - clutch feels as light as ever. Also the car starts moving when the pedal is almost totally released. I park the car for 2 hours and start driving back home. A bit of pedal is feel is back but the clutch is light !

What could it be guys ?

Clutch gone ? Brake booster ? Brake cylinder ? What ???????

Last clutch change was at 26000 kms !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 7th September 2009 at 23:15.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:03   #114
Team-BHP Support

Sounds like hydraulics. Not sure if clutch is hydraulic. If the car would not move or have degraded performance, ie engine engages only at high revs, i would think it was the clutch
Old 8th September 2009, 14:00   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ouch, sorry to hear about your timing belt snapping at only 58,000 kms?! I usually change my timing belts at 60K and thought that was early.
I too had the timing belt changed quite early but it did not cost as much.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1242818-post2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Sounds like hydraulics. Not sure if clutch is hydraulic. If the car would not move or have degraded performance, ie engine engages only at high revs, i would think it was the clutch
NC does the car still change gears normally? Get the cltuch plate checked. If one of the srping sets is gone (assuming the clutch is spring loaded) you might get a super light clutch but loss of clutch control.
Old 8th September 2009, 14:04   #116
Senior - BHPian

The clutch is hydraulic. The problem sounds like the hydraulic circuit has lost pressure. See if the hose is cut and confirm your brake fluid levels. If fluid is leaking out, you could end up with no brakes and that is a Bad Thing(tm).

If the pressure hose is fine, you'll have to check the clutch master and slave cylinders.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:57   #117
evo
BHPian

ouch. thats something, my car has now done 42k.xx km. I havent had the clutch changed ever as yet, should I?

On a totally random note, good to hear that you are 82k.xx kilometres inspite of ur clutch issue.
Old 8th September 2009, 18:04   #118
Senior - BHPian

EVO,

I changed the clutch when I got the car at 26000 kms. Now it's 82000 kms.

I think (if the clutch is gone) 56000 kms is pretty good life for the clutch on the vRS. What say ?

And I have called for my guy to come and check the car this evening. Fingers crossed.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:16   #119
Senior - BHPian

Hydraulic issue of some kind.
Old 9th September 2009, 00:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My front bumper is cracked as a manhole gave way and the bumper took the brunt of the weight. A.S.S quotes 13-15K for a new one with painting - I am trying to locate one from other sources (help will be appreciated)
If the crack is not very large, the bumper can be repaired and painted (my Lancer A.S.S. calls it 'stitching'). That should just be 1k odd for repair, and 3-4k for painting..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks