Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2018, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)

Hello Friends. My Honda City 3rd generation has completed 6+ years of ownership and clocked 80k+ kilometers. This is my third car and first Honda. The others have been Maruti cars, Zen(petrol) and Dzire (diesel).

I bought it six years back primarily as a replacement for zen and it was initially used by the better half for limited runs to the city and clocked only 30k in the first four years. Only since past two years, it has become the main workhorse for both city and highway runs. I will restrict this review to only my impressions and personal feedback. For any technical information or in depth review, you can always refer to abundant material on the internet including the team-bhp forum.

The review will be in two parts - one for the outside of the car and one for the inside of the car. As they say a picture speaks a thousand words, the entire narration will be driven by pictures with small commentary to aid the same. So lets get started with the outside of the car.

For me, as long as the car is comfortable to drive/sit, safe and frugal to run and maintain, i do not care much about how it looks. That was why I was one of the first buyers of Dzire when it was launched and I was told mine was the first Zdi variant delivered in the entire city. At that time, everyone was throwing abuses on the car on the way it looked with a boot slapped at the back. Anyway, coming back to the Honda City, it looks nice but neutral in my view. Nothing too radical and nothing plane jane. Anyhow, looks are very subjective.

Here are two front looks

The front look
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-front-look.jpg

The front side view
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-front-side-view.jpg

I never wanted a black or maroon color and had booked a red color variant. However, since the booking, red color was low in demand and dispatches were not coming. The budget that year announced a hike in the price of the car if purchased after a given date, so I had to compromise and go for the available maroon shade to make billing before the due date. I think model of my Honda City looks best in white color.

Fortunately, my version of Honda City was refreshed with an enhanced GC which made me go for it in the first place. I have seen my friends Honda City scraping every bumper on the city roads. Also, they had launched sunroof for the first time, I think in the refresh. That tilted the decision. As i was replacing a petrol car and already had a diesel, i did not want to go for another diesel and City that time did not have a diesel variant also. I had opted for the top most version with automatic gearbox and sunroof. Red color with those specifications made it a long waiting period and as discussed earlier, i had to go for "all colors are good" attitude.

At that time, it was said that the petrol engine of Honda City was the best among the lot. I can vouch for its silence and smoothness. However, if i rev hard then at neutral, there is some engine vibration which creeps into the cabin. Otherwise, it is so silent you will not realize, it is on and sometimes feels like you are driving a battery car. It is that much silent.

Engine Bay
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-engine-bay.jpg

Engine and Radiator Gap
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-engine-radiator-gap.jpg

Ground visible below engine
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-ground-visible.jpg

As you can see, there is a big space between the radiator fan and the engine, approximately 6 inches. I am not sure, if it is to prevent engine damage in case of front collision or just part of the design to increase the overall length. You can also see how small the engine is for 1.5 cc capacity. You can see the ground below the engine and there is no protective plate below it.

On the insulation front, there is partial insulation (25% area) on the bonnet and some insulation is there between the engine compartment and the driver seat. Bonnet is held by rod with a nice slot and it is not like a hook. The end of the rod is capped with plastic. Bonnet is light and you can easily lift it with one hand. Verna diesel has a really heavy bonnet and if you really want to do some muscle exercise, do ten bonnet pull ups of Isuzu Dmax. There is also a plastic attachment which i presume for some air suction for the engine or something similar.

Bonnet Insulation
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-bonnet-insulation.jpg

The cold engine RPM is about 2000 and once the engine is hot and in steady state it settles to about 800 RPM. There is no cold-hot dial and there is just an indication light to denote engine is cold when you crank up. I do hope there is hot indication as well in case it heats up.

If the engine is silent and there is insulation provided, then it must be a silent ride, right? wrong. One of the many annoying things in my City is the tyre noise over 80 kmph. Till 100 it is fine but beyond 120, it is quite loud. As you can see, the tyre wells are naked and there is no insulation at all. Maybe that could be a reason. Mudguards are fixed with the body itself and are made up of hard plastic.

Front wheel well
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-front-wheel-well.jpg

Rear wheel well
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-wheel-well.jpg

Mud Guard
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-rear-mud-guard.jpg

Continuing on the front side, the car has two wipers of different sizes and two fluid nozzles on the bonnet to spray water. One good thing in City is that the fluid chamber is quite large and can hold good amount of water and you do not have to fill each time to make a highway trip. I have a habit of putting a small amount of shampoo before i fill water as it makes the water soapy and leads to better cleaning of the windshield. Also any oily material due to fumes or oil vapors gets removed properly due to the soap. It also leads to longer life of wiper blades as there is lesser friction when they move over the glass.

Twin wipers
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-twin-wipers.jpg

Fluid jets
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-wiper-fluid-jets.jpg

My variant gets chrome handles on all doors and they are really chunky and nice to operate. They are pull handle types. The driver and front passenger doors have key slots for manual key door opening.

The chunky chrome door handle
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-outer-door-handle.jpg

The front and rear doors open wide to approximately 90 degrees but the rear door is kind of triangular and tapers sharpely at the bottom. Being a sedan, the roof height is low and you have to plan your entry into the car. My first few entries into honda city were disaster when I shifted from Dzire because everytime I would bang my head. Here you have to first put one foot, then slide your body and then bring the other foot inside making sure you bend your head. I seriously wonder how big turbaned sikhs would be able to enter or exit the car. The doors are quite heavy and close with a thud. There is a 3 step metal design between the outer and the inner wall of the car indicating that the doors are thick and not thin. Both the rear doors have child lock.

Three step side wall
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-three-step-side-wall.jpg

The triangular rear door
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-rear-door.jpg

Rear door opens wide
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-rear-door-open.jpg

Child Lock
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-child-lock.jpg

One of the key highlights on my car was the sun roof. In 2012, it was not very common and rarely people opted for a sun roof variant. I scored some brownie points due to it with my friends when I compared with their expensive cars without sunroof. I have found it quit useful specially in hilly areas and winters. It offers both slide and tilt functionality. There is cover provided which is manually operated to not allow sunlight when the roof is closed. As a practice, I have never allowed children to stand and peep out of it while the car is moving. Only when it is stationary, they could pop out and have some fun. It operates while the car is moving and is very convenient when you want to open or close it for small periods while in motion. The sunroof switch is integrated with the front lights and are very easy to operate for the driver or the front passenger.

Sunroof
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-sunroof-panaroma.jpg

Both the front side mirrors have turn indicators. The mirror casing is heavy and very durable. They do fold outward in case some motorbike rider pushes them while overtaking on a red light. You can adjust the side view mirrors through switches on the driver side but unfortunately you cannot fold them automatically. you have to do it manually only. They are not heated and have to wiped frequently when driving in rain.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-turn-indicators.jpg

Another big annoyance is the thick A pillar. It is specially irritating during a hilly drive when you want a clear view over a bend.

Thick A pillar
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-thick-pillar.jpg

The antenna is roof mounted and is screwable. It is quite stubby and is not very thin.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-antenna.jpg

The tail lights have refreshed during the mid refresh and look nice in the night.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-left-rear-tail-light.jpg
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-right-tail-lamp.jpg

There are reflectors in the rear bumper on both sides.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-reflector.jpg

My being the top variant, the exhaust is chrome tipped. The lining below the bumper is nicely carved to accommodate the exhaust.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-exhaust-chrome-tip.jpg

The rear badging has Honda in the center, the variant on the left and ivtec on the right.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-rear-badging.jpg

The boot is large and the boot cover is quite light. My Zen had a more solid boot cover. Inside it is naked and there is no covering provided. The company gave spare tyre as a steel one which I think has a speed limit of 80 kms. The spare wheel well is quite nicely done so that the entire boot is flat. However the loading gap is not very large and you would be looking at various angles to push a large suitcase inside or take it outside. The boot can be also opened with key and as you can see, scratches are quite common in such a scenario.

Boot and the spare tyre
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-boot.jpg

The naked boot lid
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-dickey-lid.jpg

scratches around boot key opener
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-dickey-opener-key.jpg

There is demister on the rear glass
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-rear-demister.jpg

It was quite hilarious that Honda gave me automatic gear box, sunroof and cruise control but did not provide rear parking sensors, forget rear parking camera. Given the sloping rear roof, it was impossible to park the car with the rear view mirror only. Therefore, I was forced to go for a rear parking sensor from after market. It came with its own rear view glass which sat nicely on top of the factory provided one.

Parking sensor from after market
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-parking-sensors.jpg

The front bumper is not straight but is like an arrow with central part tapers at about forty five angle to join the sides. This aids a lot in maneuverability when you make a turn in a small gap. Being a japanese car, the car is light and feels light at high speeds. The front and rear metal is light and thin but the doors are quite solid. Fit and finish is good. The alloy wheel design is appealing and overall it looks quite good from outside.

Last edited by autobahnjpr : 23rd December 2018 at 00:54. Reason: composing the post
autobahnjpr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 23:27   #2
BHPian

Long term Review of ivtec Honda City (3rd Gen) : Part II

Part II:

Here comes the second part covering the inside of the car. There is no doubt that the car is quite luxurious from the inside. The plastics are of good quality, knobs and buttons are chunky and feel solid to operate, door levers are made of shiny chrome, arm rest has felt lining, center arm rest has padded covering, the entire floor is carpeted, seats are leather and very comfortable. On top of that you have the sunroof to boast of. The cream color seats contrast well with the dark interiors and dash and the ceiling too is cream color giving it an airy and light feeling inside. There are some annoyances too and we will cover them as we go along.

Starting with the front seats.

Front seats
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-front-seats.jpg

The front seats are very comfortable and provide good back rest with adequate thigh support. There is healthy seat movement for varying height of drivers and the seat slider lever gives a solid feel. I can quite safely say that seats are one of the best in business. And I am only talking of my variant. It is possible lower variants may have a different seat quality. The driver seat offers both seat base and seat back movement while the front passengers can only incline the seat but cannot move it up or down. The levers are quite sturdy and easy to operate.

Driver seat height and incline adjust lever along with boot release lever
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-driver-seat-height-adjust.jpg

Passenger seat incline lever
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-passenger-seat-incline.jpg

The seat slider lever
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-seat-slider2.jpg

If you slide the front passenger seat fully forward, remove the neck rest and incline the seat fully, then it goes and rests on the rear seat. The person sitting in the back seat then has a full business class seat to spread his legs on and enjoy a nice ride. It helped me ferry my parents when they had some problem in the knee and could not sit with knees bent for longer duration.

The driver foot well has dummy pedal footrest, wide break pedal and accelerator pedal.

The driver foot well
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-driver-footwell.jpg

The passenger foot well is also nice and relaxing
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-passenger-footwell.jpg

Now if your legs are not very long, you will have a peculiar situation where the gap between the driver knee and the dash lower end will be very less. In extreme cases, your knees will touch the dash and it would be very inconvenient. For me, the key chain rubs against my knees whenever I move my knees up or down.

All the four doors have chrome door levers openers and the door locks are also chrome. They feel quite solid and are easy to operate. The driver door lock lever locks and unlocks all the four doors and the petrol door lock also. However, there is no auto door lock above a certain speed. It has to done manually each time by the driver. There is nice space carved out for holding and moving the door and it is covered with nice lining.

The driver side switches have side mirror control (but no auto folding), all the four door windows roll up and down button and window roll lock button. There is no button to lock or unlock all the four doors. It happens when the driver manually locks or unlocks his door.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-switches.jpg

The head lamp leveler is placed on the right side and there are two empty button slots. On top of it is a cavity for placing some small stuff and below that is a nice covered cubby hole for keeping papers and other stuff.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-controls.jpg

The front lights have two lights divided by the light control and the sunroof control. They can also be operated by pressing the individual light with a click on and click off function.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-front-light.jpg

Vanity mirror is provided on the front passenger sun visor. It is sufficiently big but it is not illuminated. On the driver side, there is only a flap to hold the parking or toll plaza tickets.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-vanity-mirror.jpg

The car has four speakers in each door and two twitters are attached to each of the front pillars.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-tweeter.jpg

Height Adjustable driver and front passenger seat belt
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-seat-belt.jpg

Detachable Front Head Rest
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-front-head-rest.jpg

Bonnet release level is placed right at the bottom.
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-bonnet-release.jpg

The steering is small with a net like design at the bottom part. The horn is easy to reach with fingers. The steering is featherly light and it is very easy to work with it. It has controls for music on the left and controls for cruise on the right. Surprisingly there is no mute button and if you want to take a call while the music is playing you have to turn the volume down. There are no telephone controls. The steering stalk houses the wiper controls on the left and light controls and turn indicators on the right. Both controls are nicely built and easy to operate. Front fog lamp is switched on by rotating the right knob. There is no rear fog lamp.

Paddle shifts for manual gear change are located just behind the steering mounted controls and operate like a F1 car where you pull the button to operate it. The gear indicator light is also provided in the central console and the appropriate gear is lighted when the gears are shifted. For manual gear operation, there is a small LCD display in the fuel gauge section just next to the Empty indicator which only comes into play when manual gear shift is chosen (S mode). It displays the current gear number.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-steering.jpg

The central console houses the RPM dial on the left, speedometer in the center and fuel gauge on the right.There is an instant fuel average bar with the info screen. Also there is an eco lamp which lights up when the car is driven economically. The dials are backlit with blue color in the night. The fuel gauge end marking is in red and in the night it is very difficult to read.

There are lights for various things - some come on when the car is about to start and is in battery mode and then go off. Some come up when the car engine is on and the car is either running or stationary. If some indicator is supposed to go off when the engine is fired, but it comes up when the car engine is running, it is a sign of a malfunction. There is a nice housing covering the dials so reading them in the day is quite easy.

There is an indicator to tell that invalid key has been entered and it can be seen in the left most picture. The fuel warning light can be seen on the remaining pictures.

The central speedometer dial has a small LCD panel at the bottom split into two parts. The top part shows instantaneous fuel consumption average between 0 to 40 km per litre. The bottom part shows the average fuel consumption, the trip meter reading (there is only one trip meter) and the odometer reading. There is a stalk to cycle between these values and to reset you have to press the stalk for some time.

The notification lights are spread across the console. Some are inside the fuel gauge indicator, some inside the RPM indicator and some around the speedometer.

For seat belt, there is a notification light reminder which keeps on blinking if driver has not put the seat belt on. Also there is a aural reminder and a beep is sounded for 4 seconds after every 20 seconds or so.

If you take out the key with the headlight on, there is a sound beep.
If you drive with handbrake on, there is sound beep.
If you open the door with the key still in, there is a sound beep.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-dash-indicators.jpg

The cold engine starts at about 2000 RPM and settles at about 800 RPM after engine is at steady state.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-engine-rpm.jpg

The middle console is finished in silver and black. On top you have a small section with LCD which shows the name of the track being played or the radio station playing. This section hides a small cavity inside and can be pulled down. The cavity contains an aux port and a USB port. Also there is enough space to house your ipod touch. So you can put your usb stick with songs and close the cavity giving a neat look.

Recently I have purchased a bluetooth music player stick and i have put it inside the cavity with the aux for audio and usb for charging and connect it to my phone through bluetooth. Then i play songs over my phone and it comes through car speakers. Any calls on my phone are also now played over car audio.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-console-middle.jpg

Below the section is the manual control buttons for audio. The same are available on the steering as well. But here also, there is no mute button. The buttons are nice and chunky.

Below that are the controls for heating and cooling, fan speed and air direction. The AC switch is on the right of the audio control and rear demister switch is on the left.

Below this is the slider for air intake (recirculate or take fresh from outside).

After being used to auto climate control of Dzire, switching to manual was the hardest part. In Dzire, you just had to set the desired temperature and it will automatically adjust everything to suit that. Here you keep fiddling with knobs when you either increase or reduce the fan speed or reduce or increase the temperature.

Below the air intake lever is a sections for keeping things and there is a 12v socket in one of the sections. The 12v socket is covered with a flap but Honda did not provide a cigarette lighter. I do not smoke so I use it as a phone charger.

Just in front is a two cup holder area. This is completely waste as if i keep something here, it will interfere with gear operations and it is not convenient for the driver to put or pick things from here. So this is mostly used as mobile stand.The hand break is solid and is chrome tipped.

Here is a closer look at the chunky gear lever.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-gear-lever.jpg

The central stalk and the knob to change the gears is very sturdy and feel solid. For some gear shifts you need not press the knob and only move the gear stick forward or backward (eg. Neutral to Drive) but for others you have to press the knob and only then the stick will move (Eg. Neutral to Reverse). S mode (meaning sport mode) is for manual gear operation through the paddle shifts on the steering. You can use the paddle shifts in D (drive) mode as well but within few seconds the auto takes over and it automatically puts the appropriate gear. Eg you want to overtake and downshift, you can do that using paddle in D but it will again upshift quickly and will not hold. So if you want to drive aggressively, it is advisable to operate the gear lever in S mode.

The covered 12v charging point socket

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-12-v-socket.jpg

The glove box is shaped nicely but it is not very big. If you put your manual and few other things, it is full in no time. I use it only to keep the car papers.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-glove-box.jpg

There is an arm rest between the front seats and is padded. It is quite convenient for long drives where you can rest your left hand and the passenger can also put their right hand. It is not very broad and some adjustment is needed if both want to rest their arms. It is quite deep and is used for keeping goggles, charger and other cables.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-arm-rest.jpg

The front seats have pocket in the behind for the rear passenger to keep some magazines or small material.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-seat-pocket.jpg

The rear seat is wide and almost a flat bench. It has a central arm rest which can be folded down. The floor area near the feet is slighly curving upwards to give a relaxed feel. The rear seat head rests are fixed and integrated with the seats.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-rear-bench.jpg

The rear seats are nicely integrated with the door and look nice. Also the rear quarter glass gives a nice airy feeling.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-rear-seat.jpg

The rear seats are have small cavity below them for keeping some stuff and are held by rods.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-rear-seat-footrest.jpg

There is one bottle holder attached to the arm rest in the front and intrudes in the rear seat space. It is the only bottle holder in the rear as there is none on the doors or anywhere else.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-bottle-holder.jpg

As i said earlier, headroom is at a premium in back and a six footer with good upper body height has to struggle to sit upright. As a compromise, honda has scooped a small area in the car ceiling to accommodate the head but still it is a struggle for tall people. You can see the centrally placed rear light also.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-scoop-rear-seat.jpg

The grab handle are provided on both sides in the rear and only one has a coat hanger hook.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-grab-handle.jpg

The rear glass has a nice slope and there is a small area to put something like cushions, newspapers or some small boxes. I have put a small curtain for sunlight control. There was a sunfilm there on the glass but then it had to be taken off due to the SC ruling.

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-back-glass.jpg

Now that we have covered the car from outside and inside, let me give my experience on driving and maintenance.

The car is a pleasure to drive but on rough and broken roads you feel like treating it gently specially due to ground clearance. I think the car has soft suspension so when it is fully loaded with people and luggage, it squats down a little. The auto gear is CVT type, I hear and for hard driving you will be frustrated to no end in the D mode. But for city driving and relaxed cruising it is more than adequate and you will enjoy the experience.

The engine is peppy and rev happy. For hard driving and overtaking, you have to rev hard to get the torque and power. If you are driving between 200 to 2500 rpm, the engine will feel anemic. However after 3500 it roars to life. It was such a drastic change for me to shift from the turbo kick of diesel to the smooth linear power delivery of petrol. Initially it was very frustrating. Slowly slowly I got used to it but still i miss the rush of diesel turbo when it spools and you are shoved back in your seat.

However in the diesel after 3500 RPM, it feels flat and lifeless, the petrol roars to life and eggs you to rev more to 5500, 6000 rpm.

One thing which I have found is that you do not get tired over long journeys. Even if I drive 10 hours non stop, I still do not feel tired at all. Passenger comfort is quite good and they also do not feel tired after a long journey. So you can do back to back journeys without any problem.

Honda has service interval of 5000 Km which i feel is ridiculously low. It should be at least 10k kms. However, the car is pocket friendly and is not heavy on maintenance. But when it comes to parts availability etc. it is a far cry from the experience one gets from Maruti.

The car is a petrol car and hard driving takes a toll on the fuel average. After being used to the 1.3 DDIs national diesel engine, it was a pain to get used to lower fuel averages and even higher fuel bills. Visits to fuel station are definitely higher.

But after now being used to the silent petrol engine, I find it hard to bear the vibration and noise of the diesel engine. I recently drove my friends Jeep and was all the time comparing diesel clatter, heavy steering and even heavier clutch with my City experience.

A small note on the cruise control. It was the first time I used it and though it is not something you use very frequently but in certain times, it is quite handy. Eg. When driving on Yamuna expressway or tracts where national highway is relatively empty. Setting is very easy and while driving, you have to just press the set button. You can add or decrease the cruise speed on the go. Nowadays when the speed check is quite regular on highways, it is a good feature to have where you set it to 80 or 90 as per the limit.

From the safety viewpoint, it comes with 2 airbags in the front, ABS, EBD and the like.

Sound quality is OK and not very great. four speakers and two twitters do the job adequately. The system comes with a remote also for the rear passengers to operate. There is no CD player but you have an Aux and USB port to attach your devices. I have been using it with my ipod for many years and now through my phone over bluetooth now.

I did make some aftermarket additions to the City primarily because they were needed and should have been provided by the Company.
  • Front Head Light - The factory delivered car had pathetic head lamps and they were like a small diyas on the road in the night. So i upgraded to 100/90 W white light by putting a relay and new bulbs. It was impossible to drive with the original bulbs.
  • Tyre Upscale - The factor fitted tyres were a skinny 175/65 R15 and were really in adequate. So i upscaled to 185/65 R 15 and there was marked difference in road grip and road behavior. However, i feel the tyre noise has also increased a little due to it.
  • Door Visor - Very useful to avoid sun rays.
  • Parking Sensors - This is a really stupid exclusion. They are a must in this car for parking.

If you look at it neutrally, my car ticks most of the boxes you need from a car. It has automatic gear box with paddle shifts, a nice durable petrol engine, sunroof, nice driving and passenger experience, reasonable safe to drive, good boot space and good badge value.

If I were to buy again, the only thing which will be the deciding factor would be the absence of climate control. I really wish Honda would have given it in the mid refresh.

Here is one link which reviews the refreshed City launched in 2012
http://www.reviewcenter.in/780/honda...ice-new-model/

Last edited by autobahnjpr : 24th December 2018 at 14:11. Reason: composing
autobahnjpr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 07:57   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Long-term Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 20:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

A well compiled review of a good looking car. What appealed to me is the simplicity of your writeup. You have covered all the major aspects without overcomplicating anything.

Even when a car is old and (that particular version) is no longer on sale, a long term review is not just of academic importance. It will, on one hand, be a tribute to the vehicle and on the other, a reference manual for purchasers of pre-worshipped examples.

Thanks for sharing and wish you many more years and miles of trouble free ownership.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 23:08   #5
BHPian

Re: Long term Review of ivtec Honda City (3rd Gen) : Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Part II:

The auto gear is CVT type, I hear and for hard driving you will be frustrated to no end in the D mode.
Are you sure the Auto gear is CVT type? To my knowledge, 3rd generation CITY had a torque converter gearbox.
RJ2285 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 15:56   #6
BHPian

How is the service experience for the Autobox. Has it ever troubled you in the city or highways? Are the Honda mechanics proficient in dealing with auto boxes?
Old 26th December 2018, 21:31   #7
BHPian

Yes. You are right. Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Are you sure the Auto gear is CVT type? To my knowledge, 3rd generation CITY had a torque converter gearbox.
My experience has been trouble free. It has never troubled me anytime in its operation. I think I have done oil change once for the autobox, am not sure. Apart from that, it has not needed any attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
How is the service experience for the Autobox. Has it ever troubled you in the city or highways? Are the Honda mechanics proficient in dealing with auto boxes?

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th December 2018 at 10:01. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 5th May 2019, 01:35   #8
BHPian

Hi,

I noticed that the audio system has an orange backlight, the pre-facelift had that. The later version has blue backlight just like the instrument console.

Am I missing something here? Did you get it changed?

I was wondering if I can the orange one of my pre-facelift changed to blue, any idea how that can be done?
Old 19th November 2019, 17:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
Hi,

I noticed that the audio system has an orange backlight, the pre-facelift had that. The later version has blue backlight just like the instrument console.

Am I missing something here? Did you get it changed?

I was wondering if I can the orange one of my pre-facelift changed to blue, any idea how that can be done?
Hi @bansal.sushant! The 2012 City Type 3 facelift just had blue backlighting on the instrument cluster and still continued with orange on the central console. I own the same model and only wish the backlighting was consistent throughout.

About changing the lights, it might be difficult to find blue for the central console as Honda never made any. Do let me know if you're able to. Although, I wouldn't mess around with the wiring/ sockets.
Old 30th January 2020, 08:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Even when a car is old and (that particular version) is no longer on sale, a long term review is not just of academic importance. It will, on one hand, be a tribute to the vehicle and on the other, a reference manual for purchasers of pre-worshipped examples.
Exactly what happened! I purchased a pre-owned 2012 Honda City V AT on Tuesday. Super stoked about it. And I read this review many times before I pulled the trigger on that one. After getting the insurance and now the non-fancy plates, today I can finally take it out to office. I’m excited as this is my first car ever!

Hopefully in time I’ll also post my experience on purchasing the car and how it’s performing. Thanks for the well written review autobahnjpr. It definitely helped me a lot!
pratik1992 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 09:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik1992 View Post
Exactly what happened! I purchased a pre-owned 2012 Honda City V AT on Tuesday. Super stoked about it. And I read this review many times before I pulled the trigger on that one. After getting the insurance and now the non-fancy plates, today I can finally take it out to office. I’m excited as this is my first car ever!

Hopefully in time I’ll also post my experience on purchasing the car and how it’s performing. Thanks for the well written review autobahnjpr. It definitely helped me a lot!
Congrats sir. Could you please provide some details like year, mileage and price. Asking since even i am looking for a used automatic and city is one of those cars in consideration.
Old 31st January 2020, 10:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Congrats sir. Could you please provide some details like year, mileage and price. Asking since even i am looking for a used automatic and city is one of those cars in consideration.
Thanks Jithin!
In brief: Mine's a 2012 Honda City V AT, 3rd owner (I'm the 4th now), has done 86k KMs and bought for 3.7L.

Details:
The previous owners have customised it with beige Stanley leather interior, a very good looking clean spoiler (almost looks like it came from factory) and white lighting under the dashboard (akin to mood lighting in newer cars. I find the colour tacky). There's also a reversing camera, but the IRVM which had the screen died at some point of time and they chucked it. So it's just dummy camera at the moment.

I think it's the AVN version, as it has the OE touchscreen. But I didn't see the AVN on the RC card. Not sure if it's supposed to be mentioned on the RC.

It's technically a third owner and logically a second owner car. Confusing, right? Apparently it was a leased car with the company being the first owner and then purchased by lessee himself after the lease expired and was then sold to someone else in Jan 2018. The story about the first two owners is what was told to me by the local dealer from whom I purchased it. Not sure how true it is. Didn't matter to me, cause I had the car taken to Whitefield Honda for a pre-purchase inspection and going by the service records, it was maintained really very well, which shows on the car.

Issues with it:
1. A small tear in the driver's seat.
2. A/C Blower motor is not working fine. Dealer is going to get that fixed.
3. There's a shallow but long dent on the driver's door, which carries on for a little bit on the right rear door (almost looked like a character line at first ). No scratch on the paint. Seems to have rubbed against a soft object at some point in it's time with previous owners. Thanks to the silver colour, it's not really visible. Doesn't bother me much, but if not too expensive, I might get that fixed.

Here are some pictures of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-img_6405.jpg  

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-img_6407.jpg  

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-img_6455.jpg  

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-img_6458.jpg  

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-img_6462.jpg  

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-img_6463.jpg  

pratik1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 10:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jithin!
In brief: Mine's a 2012 Honda City V AT, 3rd owner (I'm the 4th now), has done 86k KMs and bought for 3.7L....

Details: It was maintained really very well, which shows on the car....

Thanks to the silver colour, it's not really visible. Doesn't bother me much, but if not too expensive, I might get that fixed.

Thank you so much for answering my query and taking the time to own down the details.

It does look very well maintained. For the dent, maybe you can give these guys a look:

Trend Automobiles
#38/7, Near Krishnappa Reddy Building, Bandepalya, Garebhavipalya, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560068
096864 54537
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7Wp1RkYTCosnRqYt6

Their charges are slightly higher. I don't have any personal experiences with them but I think there is a Team bhp thread on it.

Wish you many happy miles with the car.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 08:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jithin!
In brief: Mine's a 2012 Honda City V AT, 3rd owner (I'm the 4th now), has done 86k KMs and bought for 3.7L.

I think it's the AVN version, as it has the OE touchscreen. But I didn't see the AVN on the RC card. Not sure if it's supposed to be mentioned on the RC.

Hi Pratik, do you have the manual for this specific variant of yours? I too bought the same version two days ago. I'm not able to figure out the AVN functions and how to connect the phone with the BT.

Please reply.
Old 12th June 2020, 09:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Hi Pratik, do you have the manual for this specific variant of yours? I too bought the same version two days ago. I'm not able to figure out the AVN functions and how to connect the phone with the BT.

Please reply.
Hey Manas,
First of all, congratulations on your new car
Secondly, I figured it out later that my car is not an AVN version. But in fact, that's an official accessory (Caska, apparently) that dealer sold with this car. I do not have any manual for it.

Here's a pic:

Long-term review of my 2012 Honda City Automatic (3rd-Gen)-img_8598.jpg
Excuse the dead pixels!

But if your car has the same system, you can connect to BT (Bluetooth) by clicking on the button named - MAIN, at the bottom left of the screen. This will take you to the main menu. Then you will see the BLUETOOTH option as the second from the top in the list on the left. Click on that and that takes you to the settings screen under BT. The line at the top shows your car's BT name and the PIN in round brackets, right next to it. Underneath it, you will have an option called Pairing. Click on that and now the car should be in pairing mode. Find it on your phone and click connect. You will have to enter the PIN and then you should be successfully connected.

On the left, you can see the various BT menus. You would currently be in the settings (Gear logo). Just underneath that is the Music menu (musical note logo). Click on that and it takes you to the playback screen. Once there, you can start playing songs from your phone.

Hope that helps.
pratik1992 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks