Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:56   #31
BHPian

Re: The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E

That's a fantastic write up Beemerbug ! I have a 2003 Automatic H5 clocked that looks exactly like yours but clocked 70k kilometres and still rock solid. By the way, just checking on how the AC vents and the AC buttons are holding up. The AC vents on my car are loose and need to be propped up into position with some folded chart paper and the AC buttons need some really hard pressing to switch on / off. The worst part is that the Toyota dealership says there's no fix available and the entire dashboard would need to be changed that'll cost about 40k

Any suggestions from fellow bhpians welcome !
slipstream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 21:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBug_06 View Post

My dad had booked a Pearl White 1.8E variant Corolla, which was the mid-variant. It cost around 9-10 Lacs ex-showroom Mumbai then, I don't remember the exact figures.
Those prices were something back in the day, when cars were not as crazily over priced as today. Even taking inflation into consideration, car prices now a days are just crazy, compared to our market back in the day or even compared to the rest of the world today.

We had an Esteem which we bought in 97, around the same time in 2004 when my father was contemplating a change my choice was a corolla/safari , my father had someting else in mind.

Anyways, good thread took me back the memory lane.
kilireddy0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2019, 23:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
The AC vents on my car are loose and need to be propped up into position with some folded chart paper and the AC buttons need some really hard pressing to switch on / off. The worst part is that the Toyota dealership says there's no fix available and the entire dashboard would need to be changed that'll cost about 40k !
Hey slipstream! Firstly, Thank You for your compliments, really appreciate it
I think the plastic of the AC buttons may have worn out. I don't think the entire dash will need a change and 40k is abysmal sum! Check the Boodmo app for the buttons and other stuff you need, you might find it there! Ask a local garage you're familiar with to help you out. CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilireddy0 View Post
We had an Esteem which we bought in 97, around the same time in 2004 when my father was contemplating a change my choice was a corolla/safari , my father had someting else in mind.

Anyways, good thread took me back the memory lane.

Absolutely true!! couldn't agree more about the prices! Also, thanks for your appreciation and would you tell us what you eventually ended up buying then
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 09:28   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
I have a 2003 Automatic H5 .

The AC vents on my car are loose and need to be propped up into position with some folded chart paper and the AC buttons need some really hard pressing.
Your car should be a 2003 H4.

The AC buttons are hard, but never wear out unless someone abuses them.

The vents on the 2003 - 05 are of a different design. The entire vent Assembly moves up and down, while in 2006-08 models, there was an adjuster wheel provided. Comparison shown below(top pic is 2005 and bottom is 2006 and later)

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-2005vs2007.jpg

You can try "tightening" the vent assembly, if you want to try.

Remove the assembly using a trim removal tool. The assembly would look like this.

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-imag0375.jpg

And the dash would look like this when the vent assembly is removed.

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-imag0374.jpg
Turn the assembly around and look for the pivot on which the vent assembly moves up and down.
Just put a wee bit of paper gum on the pivot and allow it to dry(just a wee bit else it won't move).

See if the vents Assembly is tighter now by moving it up and down and then just fit the assembly back into the dash.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 11:50   #35
BHPian

BeemerBug_06, nicely compiled review. Guys, beemerbug is a very good and close friend of mine. We've spent hours discussing about his Corolla in his building. I've driven the car when it was due for a service. Each and everything was working well. All the original parts have been well taken care off and the interiors have very minor wear and tear on them which is best to be ignored.
The 1st gen Corollas are disappearing. They are either in the wrong hands having typical pathetic mods like matte black roof and black wheels or they are still with their first owners in immaculate condition. It's surely not an exciting car but it's a dependable car. Others may not value the Corolla, but the owners would definitely value them. Apart from getting bored, there isn't a single reason to sell your Corolla. Fuel economy can't be the reason to sell the Corolla because the engine specifications themselves don't promise Multijet level fuel economy. I request BeemerBug_06 to share pictures of Corollas used by a training school which is in gruesome condition.

Last edited by 300 KMPH : 25th February 2019 at 11:53. Reason: Errors in typing.
300 KMPH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 17:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The vents on the 2003 - 05 are of a different design. The entire vent Assembly moves up and down, while in 2006-08 models, there was an adjuster wheel provided. Comparison shown below(top pic is 2005 and bottom is 2006 and later)

Attachment 1851438
Hey vigsom, there's an error in your description of this comparison. The dash shot at the top is of the 2006-2008 Corolla and the bottom one is of the 2003-2006 Corolla. 2006 1.8 G got steering mounted controls.
My car is like the one at the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
BeemerBug_06, nicely compiled review.
The 1st gen Corollas are disappearing. I request BeemerBug_06 to share pictures of Corollas used by a training school which is in gruesome condition.
Thanks buddy for the compliments and yes older Corollas especially the 2003-2005 lot are now going into the wrong hands or are just being abandoned for some odd reason at the road corner, it never makes sense to me why someone would abandon a Corolla? Well, I guess every car in India goes through that phase. Thankfully, you can still find a handful of them in Mumbai at least in very good condition!
Old 25th February 2019, 17:48   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey vigsom, there's an error in your description of this comparison. The dash shot at the top is of the 2006-2008 Corolla and the bottom one is of the 2003-2006 Corolla. 2006 1.8 G got steering mounted controls.
No errors there, Buddy.

The top pic is from my former Oct 2005 built H5 with the old style vents. This was the first lot of facelifts that came with the steering controls, auto headlights, lumbar support, perforated leather seats, rear sunscreen,and a cabin air filter on the H4 and H5 variants.

As already mentioned, the wheel adjuster style AC vents came on board in 2006.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 20:47   #38
BHPian

As mentioned by 300 KMPH, many older cars in Mumbai often go into the wrong hands or are used roughly once they are considered to be 'old'. The Toyota Corolla, 9th generation which is my Silver Streak's generation, has now joined the 'old' new cars group. These cars are sold and then taken to interior parts of the state where they are sadly ruined:(

Now coming to the Corolla. It is a car that will tirelessly serve you no matter what, it is like a faithful companion who will always be by your side irrespective of the circumstances. Unfortunately, some people have taken advantage of this unbreakable reputation of the Corolla and gone out to abuse the car. Here is a perfect example:-

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-img_3385.jpg

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-img_3386.jpg

Once upon a time, this must've been a shiny pearl white Corolla and look at the poor thing now! Yes despite this pitiable shape it will run well, as it's a Corolla after all. But it surely doesn't deserve this kind off treatment. This particular car rarely ever moves from that spot. First of all, why has a driving school kept a Corolla as their tutorial car? The most preferable car to have someone learn on would be a hatchback or maybe a compact sedan, so that the learner can learn properly and understand when to implement the stuff they've learnt. A Corolla is surely not the ideal car to learn driving on. I guess the driving school guys realised this, which is why the car is lying in that spot gathering dust. This poor soul will probably end up in a scrap yard sometime soon or be destroyed in some movie shoot

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-img_3393-jpg.jpg
Aaarghh! Another one! This one could be a long lost brother of Silver Streak! Sadly, it's lying under a bridge gathering dust. It Seems to be impounded.

Last edited by BeemerBug_06 : 25th February 2019 at 20:49.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 22:37   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now coming to the Corolla. It is a car that will tirelessly serve you no matter what, it is like a faithful companion who will always be by your side irrespective of the circumstances.
Yes, it's like the pet dog who will always be by your side no matter what you do. Literally. Jap cars (to an extent Korean cars too) especially Toyotas are built like that. Appeal to the mind not the heart. These cars have an charm all their own.

Quote:
First of all, why has a driving school kept a Corolla as their tutorial car?
For customers who want to learn driving a D1 sedan before actually buying a new one of their own. Spend 5K learning the ropes on a beat up car and minimise the risks to your own shiny new one whenever you buy one.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 18:03   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
For customers who want to learn driving a sedan before actually buying a new one of their own. Spend 5K learning the ropes on a beat up car and minimise the risks to your own shiny new one whenever you buy one.
+1 to that.

I have been advocating this to all new drivers for the last 20 years, but not one bloke has listened to me.

They married in haste and repented at leisure.
Old 26th February 2019, 18:50   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
+1 to that. They married in haste and repented at leisure.
Seen quite a few folks upgrade from a small hatchback to a 3 box sedan for comfort then scrape the LHS front and/or back fenders. My neighbour scraped his then brand new red Elantra against our housing colony gate post whilst turning in. He drives an i20 and I could see him nursing that wound in his heart walking around with a small face for days. I too winced. Poor bloke.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 21:45   #42
BHPian

Hello everyone! I'm posting here after quite while. Apologies for my absence, I've been rather busy in the past month. Anyway, here is a bit more of the car for you all

The Silver Streak recently made a road trip to Khandala and back. This was a serious road trip that the car went on after a hiatus of nearly 10 years and it performed brilliantly. On its return home, it was given some TLC and pampering!

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-img_9621.jpg
A thorough polish job was just what it needed!
Also, the Corolla monogram accidently fell off yesterday, while the car was being washed. I am on the lookout for a new set of badges and monograms for the car. Any leads would be highly appreciated.

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-thumbnail-6.jpg
The rough and tough engine! A cleanup is due soon though!

Since the #10yearchallenge was trending recently on the social media, here is a #14yearchallenge featuring Silver Streak!

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-img_8458.jpg

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-img_4589.jpg
2019!

Last edited by BeemerBug_06 : 7th April 2019 at 21:53.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 09:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
A thorough polish job was just what it needed!
Also, the Corolla monogram accidentaly fell off yesterday, while the car was being washed. I am on the lookout for a new set of badges and monograms for the car. Any leads would be highly appreciated.
Hey BeemerBug_06 please check boodmo app, it's an online car parts website, you'll get your stuff from there easily.
The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-screenshot_20190408090047.png

Last edited by aah78 : 16th May 2019 at 17:37. Reason: Quote fixed. Image inserted in-line.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:23   #44
BHPian

Hello Again! Well, as it so happens the Toyota monograms and badges from the boot finally gave way after 14 long years of staying intact. They all began to fall off one after the other, YIKES!

So I decided to simply de-badge the rear and here is what it looks like!

The story of 'The Silver Streak' and I : My 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8 E-thumbnail.jpg

What do you guys suggest I should do? Leave it this way or get a new set of badges ?
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 23:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys suggest I should do? Leave it this way or get a new set of badges ?
I would suggest you to get new badges. The Corolla, this generation in particular, has an elegant classic design. It looks a bit incomplete (and old as well?) without badges.

That said, I love debadged cars but only those with either a muscular or a sleek design, a Cruze or Civic for example.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks