Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2019, 16:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 10 years with a Maruti A-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
Hi locusjag...Does your car have beige interiors?
It has grey interiors.

Quote:
There is little to complain about this vehicle. The size is perfect for city use and a delight for beginner drivers.
The only downside for a beginner is being unable to see the car's bonnet from the driver's seat. Surprisingly, the car comes with driver seat height adjustment but even at its topmost setting, it's impossible to view the bonnet. My wife felt uncomfortable with her judgments to the front and to the sides. So I installed an ornamental screw-on antenna from Amazon on the left hand side edge of the bonnet. She's happy now.

Quote:
Please do update about the reverse camera whenever you install, it will be very helpful.
Will do!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 12:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post

That's a beautifully maintained Glistening grey coloured A-Star considering its age, saion666. I like this colour a lot.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. Azure Grey to be precise.
All I use is the waxpol hard wax for the exterior and an Armorall for the interior.

Please keep updating your thread, even I plan to keep the car for its lifetime, this thread will be really useful for people like us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
It has grey interiors.

The only downside for a beginner is being unable to see the car's bonnet from the driver's seat.
There's a slight bulge over the headlights which can be seen from the driver's seat. I used to use that for the judgement in the initial days. Check if that is useful.
saion666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 12:35   #18
BHPian

Nice to see this. I've an A-Star AT from 2012 Jan. Have used it a lot in packed Bangalore traffic; even use it occasionally for long highway drives. No rattles, even now very comfortable and solid. Only preventive maintenance done so far included changing tyres and battery after 5 years of usage - I started using this once in a while for Bangalore - Coimbatore drives and was a bit apprehensive about going with old tyres and battery at night. Has collected its share of scratches from bikers - so thinking of getting it re-painted and polished than changing it. Nice car, I must say - if only they had given adjustable headrests and a manual dimming IRVM, I'd have been super happy.
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 17:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The only downside for a beginner...ornamental screw-on antenna from Amazon on the left hand side edge of the bonnet. She's happy now.
I am sure the ornamental antenna would be helpful for her, but I personally would not install it on my car as I feel it would mar the looks. Did not know the seat height adjust would not be of much use. Hahah! Please do share some pictures of the bonnet ornamental antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Please keep updating your thread.
There's a slight bulge over the headlights.
Indeed you have maintained your car well. Initially I would wax the interiors too, but now I lack the patience. I leave it at the service center which suffices. And after ten years, I am not as particular! As for the exterior, just gave it for a much needed denting and painting job.

Yes, the bulge over the headlights is helpful while parking but I have to crane my neck. Otherwise, now I am accustomed to the car's length. The A-Star is easy to drive compared to the much larger Rapid especially in the city.

Yes, I shall be updating this thread periodically. Thanks to all fellow A-Star owners who have not decided to part ways with it!

A tip I would share for A-Star owners in coastal and humid areas:-
1) I am sure most folks must have done this already, but the 3M Antirust underbody coating done a decade back has helped in maintaing a rust free car. No fancy 3M surface treatment has been done though

2) Every year, we get the doorpads removed and get all the internal locks and window mechanisms greased. Due to some negligience, they had jammed and the windows would not roll smoothly, as was the central locking. (All this observed after 8 years)

3) The main ignition slot had a also become jammed, though that was rectified by the mechanic. Also (in the 8th year) the driver side door keyhole had popped out of the slot.

4) Also please check the area under the wiper, under its plastic housing for rusts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
Nice to see this. I've an A-Star AT from 2012 Jan. . Only preventive maintenance done so far
Hi vsbabu, true, the A-Star requires only preventive maintenance. And infact is robust enough to carry on smoothly even with some negligience such as bald tyres, though its reliable nature should not be taken for granted.
Glad to see a lot of automatic A-Star owners. Can you please share how does its drivability and response compare to the manual A-Star?

Yes my car was recently repainted, polishing is still left. So I would advise that for you as well. I agree, in dense urban areas like Bangalore and Mumbai, it is impossible to avoid the nicks and dents left by rickshaws, bikers, pedestrians or children playing in the building.

Last edited by ciddharth : 5th April 2019 at 17:28.
ciddharth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 19:35   #20
BHPian

Indeed great to read you review Ciddarth.

I just paid my advance for a 2011 A-start Vxi now, and should probably be getting this for delivery by this friday. The car is for my wife, and I really loved the way the AT works.

Indeed its inspiring to see that you had a hassle free ownership.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 18:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
I just paid my advance for a 2011 A-start Vxi now, and should probably be getting this for delivery by this friday. The car is for my wife, and I really loved the way the AT works.
Just got my 2012 Vxi delivered last Saturday. The car has 59K on the ODO.
Looks well maintained, while my wife will be the third owner of the car.

10 years with a Maruti A-Star-astar.jpg

Though I couldnt find any visible faults, maintenance concerns except for the thud noise from the front left suspension - all looks good so far.

The paint has visible deterioration at some areas, I am not looking at doing anything on it as my wife is still needs to build a lot of driving. Just wanted some quick opinion about the below points.

- Can you suggest how I can ensure that the car is in top shape, should that be through the MASS or some well known Maruti mechs
- I have never used a petrol car before - so would need you help in maintenance suggestions as well.
- It looks like there is a leak in the suspension fluid on Front LH, the whole assembly might need a replacement approx 2.5K

Thanks
-
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 01:52   #22
BHPian

I am slightly confused about the gear oil change interval of my A star, the Martui App doesn't show a gear oil change before 1,60,000Kms which i think is wrong. Apart from this what grade of gear oil is suggested.
Old 2nd July 2019, 07:18   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
I am slightly confused about the gear oil change interval of my A star, the Martui App doesn't show a gear oil change before 1,60,000Kms which i think is wrong.
If you have the AT, then this is correct. Transmission oil change is at 1.6L km or 10 years. Since you have not run 1.6L, you can change the transmission oil may be after 10 years of use.
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

//The most recent one I recount is a faulty fuel pump failure. Apparently, frequently filling the tank to the brim caused this to happen.//

I never heard this to cause a fuel pump failure. I have always filled my cars and bikes to the brim, as soon as they reach the half tank mark. If it failed after ten years, this certainly can't be the reason.

That's a nicely written review. I checked the A Star out in 2009, liked it very much but still bought the Alto, as it exceeded my budget. I was making a strictly cash purchase and was averse to taking a loan. There are a couple of A Stars in my neighborhood, bought approximately at the same time as my Alto and still going strong.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I am slightly confused about the gear oil change interval of my A star, the Martui App doesn't show a gear oil change before 1,60,000Kms which i think is wrong. Apart from this what grade of gear oil is suggested.
It is not "gear oil". It is ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid. On another thread there was a discussion on when to change the fluid. I did it around 45k kms. Details are on that thread. Sorry, I am on my phone, so I could not put a link to that thread here.
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
//The most recent one I recount is a faulty fuel pump failure. Apparently, frequently filling the tank to the brim caused this to happen.//

I never heard this to cause a fuel pump failure. I have always filled my cars and bikes to the brim,...
me neither. Been doing that for all my cars. And even when we fill to the brim, it takes less than 30 seconds to see the petrol sucked in from the neck into the tank. And cabbies are a step ahead: shake shake and get in as much as possible. I havent seen them compain
Old 3rd July 2019, 01:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you have the AT, then this is correct. Transmission oil change is at 1.6L km or 10 years. Since you have not run 1.6L, you can change the transmission oil may be after 10 years of use.
Mine is manual. Can you let me know what should be the duration for change? I checked my service bill for 40K service as well as 50K service but it wasn't changed in any of them. The car has done 60K now.
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is manual. Can you let me know what should be the duration for change? I checked my service bill for 40K service as well as 50K service but it wasn't changed in any of them. The car has done 60K now.
According to the owner's manual, manual transmission gear oil needs to be changed EVERY 20,000 KM. See the line above the automatic transmission fluid change recommendation line in the owners manual.
Old 16th July 2019, 12:55   #29
BHPian

Just as my uncle was looking into used market and found an A-star; I searched for A-star review and found this thread. Thanks for putting up the details. I was not sure about the spare parts availability and glad to know from this thread its available.
@ciddharth - Are the spares available from Maruti Service Center or are you procuring from outside? Is there any delay in availability?
Old 16th July 2019, 18:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

I never heard this to cause a fuel pump failure. I have always filled my cars and bikes to the brim, as soon as they reach the half tank mark. If it failed after ten years, this certainly can't be the reason.
Slightly off topic, I was watching Scotty Kilmer's YouTube Channel and he does not recommend overfilling. Apparently, it floods the charcoal canister that traps fuel fumes. I am not aware of such a emission control device in Indian vehicles, should we be worried? (Of course, the fuel pump damage seems unconnected with overfilling.)

Attached Thumbnails
10 years with a Maruti A-Star-tbhpscotty.jpg  

Last edited by mvadg : 16th July 2019 at 18:54. Reason: added URL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks