Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2007, 10:47   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Whoa. Are those figures for real? I have to beat that now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
yup typO, its the same car that does not deliver more than 8-9 kmpl in mumbai.I was pretty shocked myself and kept checking and re-checking the figures.I drove at 80-90 kmh on the mum-guj highway and got around 18.Probably you should drive at 55-60 kmh and try beating me
Honestly, guys, I know I could never do that. I must say Romil has tremendous self control, considering he actually drives a Limited edition 1.6!
Old 2nd February 2007, 12:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Honestly, guys, I know I could never do that. I must say Romil has tremendous self control, considering he actually drives a Limited edition 1.6!
Call it self control or call it being a chicken . Even at PUG meets,I invariably end up being the last one to reach any destination. Some guys have even told me that the S10 is a waste in my hands.I'm better off with a 1.2 I guess.

But I love my car so much that even if I push my car a bit too much,I start feeling guilty.I rather enjoy the torque available in the 3rd and 4th gears due to the short ratios and the Italion symphony,rather than going all out for top speed.I try limiting myself to 100-120 kmh max,but I love cruising at 80.Bah,I dont want to be an outcast here.So I'll stop.
Old 2nd February 2007, 12:48   #18
BHPian

S10 with speeds of 80-90..?? Your engine must be shouting..."please please, press the pedal !! "
Old 2nd February 2007, 16:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Call it self control or call it being a chicken . Even at PUG meets,I invariably end up being the last one to reach any destination. Some guys have even told me that the S10 is a waste in my hands.I'm better off with a 1.2 I guess.

But I love my car so much that even if I push my car a bit too much,I start feeling guilty.I rather enjoy the torque available in the 3rd and 4th gears due to the short ratios and the Italion symphony,rather than going all out for top speed.I try limiting myself to 100-120 kmh max,but I love cruising at 80.Bah,I dont want to be an outcast here.So I'll stop.
I have a friend quite like you. He drives a Baleno, and irrespective of where he is driving, for instance even on the WE Highway, if he sees something as insignificant as a one inch ridge formed due to an extra layer of tar on the road that he thinks will jerk his car, this guy will slow down to 15kmph. Earlier I used to think he did that because his car was new. But now, its already 9-10 months old, and there is no change in his behaviour. Do you think you are like that? Wonder if there are other Team bhpians who care that much about their cars..
Another thing he did once was, make his wife step off the pavement into shoe deep water before she could get into the car. He refused to get his car close to the pavement to avoid getting the tyres wet. In fact last monsoon, his car remained wrapped up like a Christmas gift and he travelled by auto/ taxi.
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a friend quite like you. He drives a Baleno, and irrespective of where he is driving, for instance even on the WE Highway, if he sees something as insignificant as a one inch ridge formed due to an extra layer of tar on the road that he thinks will jerk his car, this guy will slow down to 15kmph. Earlier I used to think he did that because his car was new. But now, its already 9-10 months old, and there is no change in his behaviour. Do you think you are like that? Wonder if there are other Team bhpians who care that much about their cars..
Another thing he did once was, make his wife step off the pavement into shoe deep water before she could get into the car. He refused to get his car close to the pavement to avoid getting the tyres wet. In fact last monsoon, his car remained wrapped up like a Christmas gift and he travelled by auto/ taxi.

LOL That sounds a lot li me!
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I remember our last meet at Danapani beach.
Hey, that RDH Rally Fiat is up for sale, just got to know from the champion driver.
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:10   #22
BHPian

Well talk about choices

Quote:
Is it not about choices, I think your friends choice seems very clear . I can't imagine doing the same to my wife, either I'd be dead or the car is thrown out.
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
LOL That sounds a lot li me!
And by any chance do you drive a Palio? Tell me its not a 1.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Is it not about choices, I think your friends choice seems very clear . I can't imagine doing the same to my wife, either I'd be dead or the car is thrown out.
Same with me Sree, but then, if you spend some time with this guy, you will know he just won't take his car to some places, and that's that. Period. I have laughed at him, taunted him, but to no avail.
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And by any chance do you drive a Palio? Tell me its not a 1.6.
I do drive a Palio, but a 1.2 ELX. And I have recently bought a Baleno- which has a scorching 1.6 engine
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I do drive a Palio, but a 1.2 ELX. And I have recently bought a Baleno- which has a scorching 1.6 engine
That is a major laugh. I shall have to ask my friend if he has ever heard talk of a missing twin at home. This is developing into quite a Hindi movie plot. BTW, I have driven his Baleno for about 100 metres, and even that little time he sat next to me clutching the edge of his seat. Why? Because you could actually hear the engine reasonably clearly as I drove.
If he had been with me on my Sunday drive, he would have stopped calling me his friend. He would have formed a Society for prevention of cruelty to cars.
Old 7th February 2007, 22:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Very interesting drive blog Prabuddha!
...What a pity, such Excellent cars are ignored by people, who are hell bent on Service Centers in every Street!
a very valid point you have made finneyp!
Old 7th February 2007, 23:17   #27
BHPian

Nicely written, prabuddhadg! You have pretty much captured the essence of that torquey 1.6 engine and the things it can do to a put a smile on anyone's face.

Point to note though - most people who've replied to this thread (me included) are Petra/Palio owners. Seems to reflect the general feelings about the non-Fiat owners about Fiat.
Old 8th February 2007, 00:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Point to note though - most people who've replied to this thread (me included) are Petra/Palio owners. Seems to reflect the general feelings about the non-Fiat owners about Fiat.
May be it does, but how does it matter to us, if we enjoy our cars so much?
Old 4th October 2007, 13:55   #29
BHPian

Another nice trip

Hi all, I'm pretty pepped up again. Did a pretty long drive in my Petra this week end. A Bombay- Dandeli- Bombay trip. 627 km each way, most of it on the Bombay Bangalore highway. The road was great, traffic was sparse and it was a great drive. I shall post a detailed travelogue in the relevant section.
Old 4th October 2007, 14:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

excellent review prabudda! i loved the car too and was adamant on purchasing it for myself before my swift D, and fiat just decides to turn it off the market. damn them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks