Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2019, 21:45   #1
BHPian

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion

A car to an enthusiast is similar as a pen to an author, it defines who he is, it bears his identity

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20190107_161617modified.jpg

This is my take on a car that is one of the best sellers in the country, a car that is seen and known by almost every one, irrespective of whether they are into cars or not.

The story started back in 2017 April, prior to the purchase of the Grand i10, we were having a Maruti 800 AC (2007), I was still an amateur driver during those days and most of the driving was done by my brother. The other car that shared the garage with the 800 was the Duster 110 (2015). Now, us the brothers had the 800 and dad used the Duster for office commute and his personal runs. The year was 2017, the roads were flocking with modern and safer cars that beat the Maruti 800 in every means except maybe compactness. Still, even though there was a plan in the back of my head for an upgrade but I wasn't giving proper thought to it as I was still very much new to the driving scene at that time and wanted to perfect and polish my driving skills in the 800. I always had the belief that old school cars made the best drivers because those machines make you do everything with your own hands and muscles. No fancy gizmos, no power steering, no power brakes etc. If you want something done, put your muscle on it.

Came April, I was casually browsing the internet one evening when suddenly I saw a news article on the CarWale app that read ''Huge discounts on Hyundai cars''. At the dinner table, I broke the news to my father proposing for an upgrade to which he instantly agreed. And no, no other cars or brands were considered, no other choices were being made. It was always the Grand i10 since the beginning. And so, the decision for an upgrade was made just like that over a casual dinner table conversation.

There were no specific criteria the car had to meet, and honestly speaking, the decision was made in such a little time that I couldn't even get the time to give my thoughts into it. I only remember saying to my father that the car has the necessary safety features, the latest bling bling gizmos and alloys, something that our Maruti 800 lacked, except maybe the aftermarket stereo.

Went to the Hyundai dealer the very next day and looked at the car inside out, my dad was mighty impressed by the car, more so because it was more loaded with modern tech than even his Duster. The SA was pushing the i20 diesel since he knew that the car would be doing a lot of highway trips, and there was actually sense in his words. But there was a problem, our garage was too small to house a i20 and a Duster together along with 3 motorcycles and a scooter.

The buying process went smoothly, the officials of Krishna Hyundai were very much professional and they made sure that everything was in place and in order. We took the delivery on 21 April 2017, exactly two years after we took delivery of our Duster, 21 April 2015.

Dad can be seen checking the car in all the three photos as it was ready for the delivery post a wash and polish job that was done prior to us reaching the dealer.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20170421_153711.jpg

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20170421_153744.jpg

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20170421_153757.jpg

After taking delivery and on the way to a fuel bunk before making the 51 kilometer journey back home. We also received a free fuel coupon from the dealer. Kudos Krishna Hyundai.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20170421_165625.jpg

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th January 2020 at 11:32.
Tanveer02 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 12:28   #2
BHPian

re: 2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion

INITIAL DAYS AFTER BUYING

This is where the fun had started. I was now the newest cool kid in college. Going to the college with your own new car without any adult supervision is a dream for many, the dream that I was actually living. Still, I controlled my temptation as I very well knew that this is the only car that I got and would have to give her all the love and care in the world as I won't be getting an upgrade for the next 5 years or so.

Grand i10 flaunting her body lines accompanied by the scenic rice fields of Assam
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20190107_163011.jpg

The driving scene that I was accustomed to prior to the purchase of the Grand i10 has now fully changed. As stated earlier, I was still very novice when it came to driving and the 800 was the only vehicle that I'd driven till then. The Grand i10 differed from the 800 in every possible means. I now even had one extra gear

I got used to this new car very quickly and was pretty much comfortable to each and every feature or aspect. But there was one thing that was bugging me inside out, and that were the BRAKES. See, the Grand i10 has decent brakes and does a good job in stopping the car that weighs 935 kilograms. But the initial bite of the brakes are humongous. It was something that I'd never experienced before. It has been 4 years since I learnt driving and I am yet to find a car that has this much of initial bite in the brakes. When I drove the vehicle on the very first day, dad made a special mention about the brakes. He asked me to personally check them out and as expected, I pressed them Maruti 800 style and dad straight went flying from his seat. Good thing I was doing 15 and not 50.
Apart from the brakes, the other visible change was the engine. This Kappa02 engine has a different level of refinement. The NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) was almost non-existent. The engine was so silent that I remember pressing the start/stop button to turn it on when it was actually on. The 83 horses that this engine put to the wheels was also quite amazing and was childishly utilized in front of my friends to show how quickly the car accelerated to 60KMPH.

During our first long trip to Guwahati after the purchase.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-inkedimg_20170601_105046_li.jpg

A tip to my fellow readers who are new to driving and drive an old car now like I was driving the 800 then and are possibly considering an upgrade, these new petrol cars don't require you to upshift after every 10 to 15KMPH increase in speed in each gear. I used to upshift to 4th on 40KMPH in the Grand i10 in the initial days of driving and was always wondering where all the horsepower had gone. These cars are very capable of accelerating upto 30KMPH in each gear under normal driving conditions.

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th January 2020 at 12:36.
Tanveer02 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 13:12   #3
BHPian

A Report On The Car From My Experience Over The Years

The engine

The 1197cc Kappa02 engine is a gem on its own standard. It is one of those engines that demands very little attention from the owner. Just give it the routine maintenance and attend to the very minute things it demands and you are good to go. The refinement of this engine is something that amazes me to this day. The engine being a 4 cylinder does a fantastic job in the NVH department, and coupled with Hyundai's fantastic engineering, you have one hell of an engine. It sends out 83 BHP to the front wheels and is tuned for city driving. Driving in the city is effortless with this engine aided by the car's small size. Frequent downshifts are not required and the engine has an excellent tractable nature. The tractable nature of the engine is visible on how well it chugs along on 35 KMPH on 4th gear without any juddering and clutch input. Out in the highways, 100KPMH comes at around 2850 RPM on 5th and this is the real sweet spot of the engine. I've done thousand of kilometers of highway cruising in this state and the engine provides the best response and mileage in this part of the power band.
However, if you are someone who needs power and outright acceleration then I will say that this car is not for you, yes it can do very well to keep up with cars having engines twice the size but not without its own limitations. This is not an Abarth Punto by any means of imagination and if performance is the requirement then look elsewhere. It is more evident with the AC on and at least 4 passengers on board including the driver. The engine will take it's own sweet time to accelerate and build speeds. This is not a sprinter, this is a cruiser. The engine was designed keeping a few things in mind, things it does very well. But outright performance not being one of them. This is not a slow car. But this is not a car you call scary fast either. It is a mixture of both the worlds.
Down in the RPM band, there is barely any noise coming through the engine. It is as silent as it can be for a car that is priced under 10 lakhs. Hyundai didn't even care providing insulation material in the firewall or under the bonnet. Such is their confidence in this engine's NVH department. However, once you start to climb the powerband, noise starts filtering in to the cabin. And I must say that engine note is a sweet one. Redlining the car in 2nd and 1st gear is a sweet experience combined with the fact that the Kappa02 is a very rev happy engine. The engine idles at around 850 RPM and redline comes at 6500.
A slight drop in power with the AC on is evident, and I'd say it drops anywhere between 10-15%. It's a 1.2 litre engine afterall.
As I compile this review, the car has done 53,000 kilometres and a brief list of the works done on the engine and on the car will be presented at a later post.

The heart. The clean engine was attained after devoting 3 hours on a fine day as a DIY.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20190609_115006engine-.jpg

Transmission

Hyundai Grand i10 comes equipped with a 5 speed gearbox and the petrol engine transmission gets a conventional layout like most cars. The shifts are butter smooth and require no effort. Though shifting in the gearbox is easy but the gear throws are a bit too long for my liking. Engaging reverse can be quite a task in this car as it tends to get stuck at times. I still have no idea about why it happens so and would like to be educated at this aspect. Hyundai has provided a little booklet that gives various driving tips and the reverse getting stuck and it's solution is mentioned in it. In case reverse gets stuck, you have to shift to neutral, clutch and de-clutch than engage in reverse again. This can be a bad experience specially in situations when one has to take a u-turn quickly in a busy road and the traffic is continuously honking from behind.

The tiny little booklet addressing the issue of the reverse
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20190713_202055.jpg

Mileage

Mileage was never one of the main aspects that we considered while buying a car and the Grand i10 is no different. We owned a petrol Indigo 1.4 at one time if that puts things into perspective. More so because I prefer upshifting between 3500-4000 RPM to stay in the power zone of the RPM band. However, if one asks me to make a guess I'd say in city driving conditions she returns as much as 12-14 KMPL and on highway a healthy 15-18 KMPL keeping in mind various factors like number of passengers, usage of AC, speeds maintained etc.

Interiors front

Interiors of the Grand i10 are a benchmark in its segment when it comes to quality fit and finish. When we bought the car in April 2017, its primary competition Swift was still in it's last generation. Even it's elder sibling i20 received a facelift after the Grand i10. Step into the cabin and one is welcomed by a nicely laid out dash with everything within the driver's reach. The switches feel premium and require no effort to operate. However, I've found out that maintaining a beige interior is quite a task mostly due to our dirty environments and require regular rubbing and polishing as a part of their maintenance. Everything in the interior is well screwed and bolted together since there are no rattles as of today. There are plenty of storage spaces and cubby holds making the car more practical in day to day usage. The leather wrapped steering wheel is soft and nice to hold. Also, the driver door mirror is equipped with the auto-down feature but then again the auto-up feature is missing. If they are going to provide auto-down they should provide auto-up too, and not a half feature. The gear lever is also finished in leather and is very nice to hold and looks premium with the chrome ring surrounding it. In a single glance, one cannot find the places where Hyundai has engaged in cost cutting and even if they do, they are in places that are hidden well from the view of those on-board. The cabin speaks of premiumness and gives the driver the feeling that it was designed keeping in mind that it doesn't feel outdated in the near possible future. The cabin is loaded with features. Small yet significant things such as the one litre bottle holders on both the front as well as the rear doors, the cooled glove box, inclusion of a 12 volt charging socket, automatic climate control etc. increases the practicality of being in this cabin by leaps and bounds. And during those long journeys the driver never feels tiresome due to the hosts of creature comforts at his disposal.
For reference, my height is 5 feet 9 inches and I have a laid back driving position, and the ergonomics are well suited for my driving posture. There's ample amount of space available for someone of my size and my left leg doesn't brush against the center console. However, my brother who has a bigger physical frame than me has trouble accessing the seat height adjuster lever due to the sheer size of the driver door arm rest restricting access to the lever.
The touch screen infotainment system is the only thing in the entire interior that looks a bit out of place. The rectangular screen that looks like an after thought reminds me of computer monitor designs from the 80s. However, the interface is of top notch quality and provides a very smooth and seamless experience to the user. I am yet to notice a single lag in the interface. It also comes equipped with a internal hard drive to store our media files with a size limit of 1 gigabytes. Android auto and apple carplay are present and in 2017 it was a huge deal in a budget car to have this feature. Other features include the standard Bluetooth functions that includes media streaming as well as the telephony functions, USB etc. Visibility under sun light is exceptional though sometimes while reversing you do wish the display was a bit more bright. The infotainment system coupled with the 4 speakers which I find to be one of the most satisfactory OEM speakers are quite a combo. The 4 speaker setup would satisfy the most among us except for those that are audiophile in nature.
The air conditioning unit is not the strongest around, it does the job for me but my mother feels it's a bit weak. I've recently got the AC pipes cleaned up and got the gas topped up and things are better now. In 1-2-3 volume the AC is just audible enough, but as the volume increases, so does the sound.
The instrument console houses the speedometer, fuel and temperature gauge as well as the tachometer. The MID shows various information such as two trip meters, engine running time, average speed. The instrument console is finished in black and blue background with white texts that are quite easy on the eye at night.

The nicely laid out dash that is simple yet elegant to look at
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_145701.jpg

The instrument console can be seen in action in this pic
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_150807.jpg

Interior back

However, space management in the back is not as good as it is in the front. Three well built passengers will be a squeeze in the rear. And in long highway journeys it will be a tiresome experience. However, Hyundai has compensated for it by providing a rear AC blower. Also provided are one litre bottle holders in both the rear doors along with a 12 volt charging socket. In those long journeys, the rear passengers are also given the comfort of having a peaceful nap due to the rear headrests being adjustable, which I feel is a must have for any 5 seater car. The windows roll all the way down. And prior to the installation of the aftermarket seat covers, there was also a seat back pocket behind the passengers seat to keep magazines and other flat items. Well, now there's one behind the driver's seat too.

Maximum and minimum legroom available
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_163239.jpg

Available legroom at the rear with the seat adjusted according to my posture
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_163322.jpg

A random shot of the rear
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_154506.jpg

Exterior

Out in the exterior, with a simple glance one can make out that Hyundai has played it very safe with the design. Since this is a mass market car it has to appeal to everyone. The two features that easily differentiate it from the pre facelift (2013) model is the inclusion of a bigger grille at the front coupled with a DRL in the top end trims and the black cladding at the rear bumper. The 14 inch diamond cut alloys enhance the look of the vehicle to a huge extent and I find them to be one of the best looking stock alloys in the segment. The car has kind of a tallboy design (though not as tall as the old Santro) and the inclusion of a roof rail is justifiable since it greatly helps in proportioning the looks of the roof with the rest of the body. However, a shark fin antenna would've greatly enhanced the look of the exterior and it is in my opinion is the only sore looking point of an otherwise very good looking exterior. The exterior also gets black door strip on all four doors and a rear spoiler with an integrated HMSL that also houses the rear wash. The fluidic language (more so evident in the pre facelift first generation model) has been toned down to a great extent in the Grand i10 due to the sole reason of this car being a mass market production vehicle since I personally believe Hyundai didn't want to engage in any experimentation as we all know how it turned out for competent products like the Ritz and Ignis. The headlamps of the Grand i10 are swept back, like any other cars of today's day and age. The light throw for the OEM Halogen bulbs are satisfactory and even though I personally feel an upgrade isn't necessary, but then again, my night drives are very limited too.
The exterior gains useful features such as key less entry, auto folding mirrors which opens and closes with the locking and unlocking of the doors, and most importantly, the rear wash wipe. For me, a car's rear feels incomplete if I don't see the rear wiper and the demister lines in the rear windshield.
The doors open wide for easy ingress/egress and the door sill is also low which means the elderly or ones with weak knees don't have any problem getting in and out of the car. I like the addition of the chrome door handle on the door that the Asta variant gets. The driver side door also gets keyless entry but I don't understand why it is not present in the passengers front door. It was there in the pre facelift 2013 model. Cost cutting?

The side view
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_153754.jpg

The rear profile, the black bumper cladding that differentiates the 2017 facelift from the 2013 model. Also visible is the antenna that sticks out like a sore thumb
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_153836.jpg

The Phoenix 12V Halogen bulbs.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200123_002442.jpg

The updated grille coupled with the DRLs (an worthy inclusion)
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_154008.jpg

A shot of the conventional roof. A vintage RX100 along with a FZ25 can be seen accompanying the Grand i10 in the pic.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20171125_140832upload.jpg

The variant and the engine badge
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_154120.jpg

Ride and handling

A good ride quality is something that the Grand i10s suspension is tuned to deliver. The softly sprung suspension setup makes sure that little bumps and potholes are dismissed with little to no judder filtering in to the cabin. In my state of Assam, we have lots of roads that are under construction or there are some places where roads are totally non existent to speak of. In these areas the Grand i10 shines. Keep the car in a decent pace and the bad roads will be dismissed without much of an issue. However, one negative of having a softly sprung suspension setup is that the car bottoms out with just two medium sized adults in the back seat, thus resulting in under belly scrapes. And believe me when I say this, it does get scraped a lot
Coming to the handling aspect, it can be said to be neutral. It won't make you grin like you are in a Fiesta 1.6S neither it will make you worry if you are going to make it around the next corner or not. It's totally predictable and handles as such too. In a straight line, the car keeps planted to the ground and there are no sudden surprises there. It doesn't wobble around like a boat and will stay in it's intended path even while doing triple digit speeds. Around the corners, the soft suspension setup combined with the no feel and feedback steering does take the fun a bit away. However, bigger and better tyres does improve things a lot (more on it in the next post).
Out in the city, this is one of the better cars to handle and drive. Aided by the light as a feather steering and the butter smooth gearshifts combined with the small size of the car, the driver feels right at home. This is a car aimed for the city folks that drive daily and it shines in that department thorough and thorough. Sure it's a compatible car with the highway too, but the soft suspension, light steering and tiny length and breadth of the car makes it much of a city daily car as well.
One certain aspect that Grand i10 owners talk very much about is the brakes. As mentioned above, they are quite eager to bite and the feel and feedback is very satisfactory once you get used to it. I've avoided quite a few sticky situations all thanks to the presence of ABS and the confidence inspiring brakes. When there is someone new behind the wheel, I give them a warning about the brakes and their sharp action like my father did to me when I first drove this car.

During a trip to Nagaland. It is in these places that the car shines and will make you feel blessed about it's suspension setup.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20191225_094322.jpg

However, the soft suspension setup bottoms out with just two medium sized adults in the rear seat
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20190822_153545.jpg

Safety

The Grand i10 comes equipped with safety features such as front driver and passenger airbags, anti-lock braking system, impact sensing auto door unlock, rear parking sensors (4 total sensors) with display and audio, central locking, immobilizer etc. The car gets the basic safety features and doesn't feel feather light when taken out in the highway. The doors don't close with a thud but then they aren't tin can light either. This car's build when it comes to safety is somewhere in between I'd say.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20191219_1327361.jpg

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th January 2020 at 13:02.
Tanveer02 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:43   #4
BHPian

Additions made to the car

1) Frameless wipers- The 110 Duster was sold on 26th of June 2019 and the next upgrade was already planned by then. Right after we saw the spy images of the H5X we very well knew this was going to be the upgrade of the primary vehicle in the house. The Harrier came with frameless wipers from factory. And I must say, how smitten I was by their wipe quality and looks. The wipers of the Grand i10 had started to show signs of wear and tear by then, so I took the chance and upgraded them to frameless Hella Curvo ones for some 900 rupees odd.

The Hella Curvo frameless wipers. Does an excellent job of wiping and looks better than conventional wipers
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200121_144806.jpg

2) Seat covers- As seen in the photos above, the seat covers are aftermarket ones. Though I am quite unsure how much I like their colour, but their comfort is top notch and the upgrade proved to be a worthy one specially while doing long distance journeys. These seat covers will stay for the next 2-3 years and the next upgrade will be to black seat covers with red stitching like the ones that comes factory fitted with the Grand i10 dual tone.

3) Horns- The stock horns of Grand i10 can possibly be one of the weakest horns any OEM can offer. The single unit made a very meek sound and even two wheelers didn't care to look into their RVMs if honked from behind. And upgrade to MyTVS dual horns were made and no, they aren't trumpet horns since I feel they don't go well with the Grand i10's character.

The MyTVS dual horn, also comes with one year warranty.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20191202_140505.jpg

4) Rain guards- This upgrade proves to be a worthy one in rainy seasons. I can slide the window a few inches down to let the cool breeze on my hair without worrying about the interiors getting soaked.

In the scenic road that leads to Kaziranga.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20191207_145321xxx.jpg

5) Upsizied tyres- The Grand i10 comes equipped with 165/65 size GoodYear tyres in the factory 14 inch alloys. Even the lower variants have the same size tyres, a thing that is not usually seen in new cars in our country. However, the quality of these tyres are below average. I've used them for about 40k odd kilometres and even though I never faced any sticky situations with them but then they didn't inspire any confidence to push the car either in the first place. The upgrade to bigger and better tyres were planned right after I got my hands on the car and was just waiting for the stock tyres to wear off. Though at first, I was unsure about which brand I would upgrade to, let alone upsizing, a very good friend of mine and BHPian Chiranjitp told me about the Michellin Energy XM2 tyres since he had used them in his Punto 75 and was all praises about the tyres. So, an upgrade to upsized 175/65 R14 Michellin Energy XM2 was made. See, the Grand i10 was never a first generation Figo when it comes to handling, but still I knew the car could do much better with better tyres. I've done around 15k kilometres in the new XM2s and I must say it is a good upgrade. The car holds it's lines well in the hills and doesn't overshoot lanes like it used to do with the earlier GoodYear tyres. The ride comfort has also increased noticeably and the car dismisses bumps and small potholes in a more mature manner.

The upsized Energy XM2 tyres. They also increase the aesthetic appeal of the cars since they occupy more area in the wheel well compared to the earlier 165s.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20190907_162448.jpg

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th January 2020 at 11:42.
Tanveer02 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 00:48   #5
BHPian

The cars the Grand i10 shares garage with

Tata Harrier XZ

As mentioned above, after selling the Duster, the Harrier is now the big vehicle of the house. It's mostly used by my dad and he makes highway trips very frequently, thus a vehicle that is safe and has the presence needed for a highway drive.

The sheer size difference, the brute and the lady, eh?
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20190812_0625491.jpg

Ford Figo Titanium Blu TDCi

With me getting my bachelor's degree in English, it was time for me to pursue further studies. So after I got admission in Gauhati University and packed my bags there along with the Grand i10, a need for another small car back at home rose. Considered various options including Baleno, Ignis, Freestyle and even a few used ones. Finalised on the Figo D cos why not buy something that is fun as well as practical.

The Korean and the American. Notice, the front number plate missing in the i10 in this photo. It was during the summer when I had to drive through a flooded street the number plate came off.
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20191028_1323511.jpg

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th January 2020 at 11:43.
Tanveer02 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:26   #6
BHPian

Upgrades planned

1) Alloys

I've always been a sucker for black coloured alloys with red inserts. Yes, the stock alloys are pleasant to look at and very much complete the looks of the car as a whole. But then still, dil maange more right?

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-tuff_t01_flat-black_machined-faceflange_redinserts_standard223.png

2) Audio setup

The stock audio setup that the Grand i10 gets puts out a satisfactory output with the correct equalizer settings. However, as an audiophile myself, my ears itch for more bass in the songs and maybe a tad bit more clarity. In the future an audio setup consisting of 4 door speakers and 2 tweeters are planned.

3) Lights

The lights at the back of the Grand i10 gets conventional bulbs in the reverse, brake, turn indicators etc. Though they work just fine, what I don't like about them is the delay in the action of the bulbs (specially the brake lights) in sync with the LED HMSL. So planning to upgrade the rear lights to LED. Also, white interior dome lights would make the cabin a much better and cool place to be in from the feel perspective.

4) Front left passenger door keyless entry

The first generation Grand i10 had it. The 2017 facelift doesn't have it. I am sure it won't be a direct plug and play. I might need to fiddle around the wiring and electronics. This is an upgrade that will need careful planning and looking into.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-hyundaigrandi1011.jpg

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th January 2020 at 13:11.
Old 23rd January 2020, 21:45   #7
BHPian

Wishlist

1) A better designed front bumper:

One major gripe I have with this car is the design of the front bumper. In my state of Assam, where bad roads are a common sight, the front bumper gets scrapped a lot while passing through giant potholes thus resulting in a umpteen number of bumper repaints. The approach angle of the car has taken a huge blow due to the design of the bumper, and the soft suspension doesn't help things either.

2) Auto IRVM

The Figo has it, I saw it, now I feel like wanting it. This is more of a comfort want rather than a absolute necessity. Though the manual dimming IRVM works fine, but then automation is better right. We humans are really becoming lazy.

3) DTE and average FE

The MID shows useful information like average speed, total time the engine is on, A and B trip meters but the functions of showing DTE and average fuel economy is not present. One is bound to miss these two features specially while heading out in the highway.

4) More GC

Like the first point where I mentioned about the bumper getting scraped due to it's design, the underbody gets scrapped due to the low GC, more so with 4-5 passengers onboard. I've taken quite a few nasty hits but maybe it's my sheer luck that the underbody hasn't taken any damage,not even a scratch as of today.

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th January 2020 at 01:04.
Tanveer02 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 23:18   #8
BHPian

Maintenance and issues faced

Routine maintenance has been carried out religiously every 9500 kilometres (instead of the company recommended 10000 kilometres). I've done around 53,000 kilometers and until now the cost of maintenance has been around 3200 to 4500 rupees including things that I personally ask them to carry out. Air and oil filter is changed every 9,500 kilometres and AC filter every 20,000 kilometres along with alignment which is also done every 9,500 kilometres. Throttle body is cleaned every 20,000 kilometres much to the dismay of the Hyundai SAs who try to push it to the job sheet as if their life is dependent on it. Washing and specially polishing doesn't have any specified time gap and is done whenever the need arises. At around 47,000 kilometres, door hinges were tightened and greased as I had started to get a feeling that something was loose every time I closed the doors. The car has been entirely rattle free till now, except the parcel tray that has a mind of it's own. All the routine servicing of the car until now has been completed without any surprises which is a good thing.

Now coming to the topic of parts replaced and issues faced,

1) At around 28,000 kilometres, there was an issue due to adulterated fuel. One day while returning home from college, I refueled at an Essar fuel station. A few kilometres later, the car started to misfire while accelerating. I took the car to HASS who as always, pointed the issue towards a chocked throttle body. But even after cleaning the issue was not solved. I was even advised to change the throttle body which I straight declined. I consulted a few HASS but all were unable to diagnose the problem until I took the car to Krishna Hyundai, Jorhat who pinpointed the problem to faulty spark plug cables. Out of the 4 spark plug cables, only cable number 2 was in a full working state. All four cables were replaced and the total cost of the entire work came out to be rupees Rs. 3258.

2) At around 50,000 kilometres, I started to notice that the gear shifts weren't as smooth shifting as they were before. They aren't what one would say hard but they started to have a notchy feel. By then I was still on the gear oil that came with the car from factory. I've read in a particular thread in TeamBHP itself that gear oil needs to be changed every 40,000 kilometres. I decided to carry out the process of changing the gear oil since the Servo 75W-85 gear oil that Hyundai uses for it's petrol engines was cheap at Rs 890 for 2.5 litres. Carried out the job at an FNG. Even though the shift quality has improved noticeably, it still isn't like what it was 15-20 thousand kilometres back and I guess replacing the clutch assembly is the only solution to this problem which would also be carried out in the next 10,000-12,000 kilometres.

3) The infamous soft suspension/ground clearance combo and badly designed front bumper had finally caught up with the car. At around 52,000 kilometres a crack appeared at the carrier assembly and the bumper had also taken a few hits by then. Both were replaced along with the plastic cover that covers the AC compressor and fan belt pulley. The entire job along with the repainting of the new bumper came at rupess 16,400. The issue faced due to the cracked and dislocated carrier assembly is explained at this post (Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review)

4) Brake pads were also replaced at 52,000 kilometres as I started to hear pin noise while braking.

5) One fine morning, as I was getting ready to leave for a long journey, the rear RHS door handle came off without any warning. Got new ones for 700 rupees. They are costly for what they are since they are made in Korea.

Apart from these parts that were replaced, all the other parts are still the ones that came with car from factory. Within the next 10,000 to 20,000 gap clutch and suspension work will be carried out. Even though the stock suspension setup is as good as it can be for a car that has run 50,000 plus kilometres, I don't want to use them for more than 70,000 kilometres either.

The brake pads that were replaced
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20200113_122344.jpg

The Servo gear oil that Hyundai uses for its petrol engines
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20191231_135802.jpg

The door handle part
2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img20200123wa0098.jpg

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th January 2020 at 13:22.
Old 24th January 2020, 00:11   #9
BHPian

My personal take on this car

This is one such post in which I will totally speak my heart out Out of all the cars that we've owned, this is the one that is closest to my heart. Being the first car that I've ever got for myself, the memories attached with this particular piece of machine is endless. She has seen me through happy days as well as sad days. Through the days when she ferried me to college as I pursued my bachelors degree to present day when I've shifted my home and pursuing a professional course through which I'd support myself as well as my family in the future days to come, we both have bonded in a manner most of us here can relate to. I remember bunking classes just for the extra drive to enjoy a cup of tea with friends during which we all would sing at the top of our lungs to songs one would dare to play in the public. I've driven cars far superior and have owned/own cars that have twice the fun and features compared to a Korean i10. But this is the only car that I'd turn back to when the day ends as this is the one closest and dearest to me. Will I upgrade to a better car in the future? Of course I would. But will I sell the Grand i10 as I upgrade? Honestly speaking, even I don't have the answer for that. My heart still cannot think of parting ways with this beautiful piece of machinery and I know for a fact that this is not changing soon.

With this, I conclude the ownership report of my 2017 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta. Thanks for reading.

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-img_20191029_16162501.jpeg
Let's drive off into the sunset

Acknowledgement

My friend and BHPian Chiranjitp for providing with his guidance and tips as I wrote this review. The long term ownership report of his Punto 75 can be found here (Living with a Fiat Punto for 4.5 years & 1 lakh km)

My childhood buddy Aniket for providing with the photos in the interior as well as the exterior columns as me and the camera were never the best of combination.

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 24th January 2020 at 11:45.
Tanveer02 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 17:25   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Long-Term Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Your car will be going to our homepage
Old 25th January 2020, 13:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review!

Grand i10 has proved itself to be a very capable commuter. My friend has one and he is happy with it.

My personal opinion- a darker(black or grey) or beige colour seat cover would have matched the elegant interior of the car better.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 15:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Nice review!

Grand i10 has proved itself to be a very capable commuter. My friend has one and he is happy with it.

My personal opinion- a darker(black or grey) or beige colour seat cover would have matched the elegant interior of the car better.
Thanks a lot

Coming to the topic of seat covers, yes. The next seat covers would probably be of darker shade. I like the ones that come with Grand i10 dual tone and might get something similar to that if exactly not the same
Tanveer02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 00:37   #13
BHPian

First of all congratulations on compiling such a detailed long term review, along with beautiful photos . The main thing that struck me after going through all the photos in the review, is that the car even now looks like it did on the PDI day, which is awesome for a car that has done over 50k km. Kudos to you for maintaining her properly.

I have driven this Grand i10 (along with one other Grand i10) exclusively. Contrary to what you feel, I have always felt the engine is powerful enough for me. Of course refinement has always been a strong point of this engine. As for the negatives, I would have preferred a slightly more powerful AC. As a package, this is a perfect car for city use. The compact dimensions, light controls, good low end torque make her a breeze to drive on congested roads.

The Grand i10 in foggy Meghalaya:

2017 Hyundai Grand i10: My journey with a faithful companion-gi10-final.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 26th January 2020 at 00:47.
chiranjitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 02:43   #14
BANNED

I used to drive a 2014 Gi10 1.1 CRDI Asta (o) until very recently and I have no hesitation in saying that this car is a Gem. It single handedly changed me from a Maruti guy (since 1987), to a Hyundai guy. It is leagues better (build, quality, refinement, suspension) than any car Maruti has offered till date.
chaudh2s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 10:50   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on your journey so far. This car is indeed wonderful .
I own a 2019 Grand i10 and going through your review has encouraged me to write about mine.
Bhatia.D17 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed