Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 13:17   #46
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trip to Haridwar

On the 22nd of January, 2020, I received news from home which was very sad. My grandfather had passed away early that morning. It called for packing the bags and making it home in time for the cremation. A few days later we had to go to Haridwar to immerse his ashes into the holy river. All these days I have been carrying a very sentimental thought in my head and need to share it here.

On the way to Haridwar, I realized that my grandfather had never sat in my Duster; and after all these years, his mortal remains were on their final journey that day on the back seat.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img_6239.jpg
Reading the family tree's scroll entry from way back in 1964 at Haridwar.

Update on the Green one
Drove 612 km back from Haridwar to Auraiya on less than a tank-full.

Had ordered a set of aftermarket replacement gas springs for the boot lid manufactured by Motherson Auto Parts. Cost me INR 709/- for a set, delivered after some discount. Installed it on my own.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-gas-spring.jpg
It is a bit noisier in operation than the OEM ones but does the job well.

There are two different part numbers on the two cars we have.
2WD OEM P/N: 904520004R (INR 1700/- each)
AWD OEM P/N: 904524666R
Since they have the same function, the suggested aftermarket replacement part below was ordered.
Motherson P/N: GS-RN061RC (INR 379/- each)
Update on the White one
After the Gujarat trip, dad took it for a Birding trip to Udaipur.

He complains of the clicking noise from the under-body has gotten worse. I am suspecting the CV joint, but it could also be some ball joint in the suspension. Will go in for service next month and will get it checked.
Combined Odo reading: ~ 2,86,000 km
Tgo is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 18:00   #47
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Compared to a 2013 Fortuner 2WD Automatic

I had the opportunity of driving a Fortuner 2WD Automatic last weekend. It was a 2013 manufactured body on ladder frame construction SUV and the comparisons started immediately. Highlights below:
  • Ride Quality and Stability : Far below what the Duster has to offer. It only feels nice on well surfaced roads. Anything else will help you build some body core strength. You also have to shed speed on curves. Brakes are pretty spongy too.
  • Size : Its a big SUV but is still manageable for someone used to the Duster. Lack of rear sensors is a bummer specially since the camera display is of very poor quality.
  • Build Quality : So much for the Toyota build quality. This one has clocked close to 1 Lac and there was an incessant rattle from within the dash-board. Why do I remember it from another Toyota I sat in the past? The silver paint from the switches and buttons was wearing off and looked a bit ugly. There were rattles and squeaks from the panels on the B-pillar and or seats which was very annoying. On the other hand - Rest of the car (engine, gearbox, underpinnings etc.) felt to be built like a tank.
  • Drive-train : The engine feels very less stressed. Its a relaxed engine and the gearbox does the work. I felt from driving an automatic that the engine revs climbed slower in comparison to the speed gain. The gear shifts were tangible. kick-down felt abrupt but the subsequent increase in speed didn't feel very substantial. A big contributor was the car masks its speed well which is due to the stress-free and slow revving engine.
I am sort of prospecting since my brother is planning to buy his first car next year. So these experiences with different body style cars are going to help me suggest a good option that suits his needs.

Update on the Green one

-This one has done more than 2500 km since the last update. Had to visit Jaipur and Shri Ganganagar in two separate trips starting from Auraiya. I clean the air filter before every long drive and that along with the cold weather up here makes it a fun to drive car on the highway.

-The DDPai mini dashcam has started acting up. Will need to do a hard-reset of all software and hardware to see if it starts working again.

-It'll go for the 110K service this weekend. Will get the differential oil changed again (following the 20,000 km cycle to be on the safe side).
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6382.jpg
Watching the dawn break and the sun rise on the Agra-Lucknow E-way.

Update on the White one

-This car has been doing short trips.

-The left front door has started drooping and the door needs to be lifted up a little while closing or it doesn't shut properly.

-The rough sound from the engine is still present since the ECM replacement. I feel they have provided us with a slightly different tune in the ECM or the ASC has removed some insulation from the engine bay or the under-body. Can't put my finger on it, even though they have checked it multiple times and reported all injectors and parameters to be healthy.

-Rotating the Air-flow direction change knob doesn't do anything. Suspecting that the cable has come lose or snapped. Should be dealt with in the next visit to the ASC.

-Have ordered a set of Monroe rear shocks for this one. They are the OE supplier for Renault and provide the same part for half the ASC price. Will report after installation.

-The car will go for the 180K service next week.
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6401.jpg
Out for birding at Sambhar Lake, RJ

Combined Odo reading: ~ 2,89,000 km

----------Bonus Picture----------

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6363.jpg
A picture of the country-side from the recent outing. Mahindra still has its stronghold in the rural sector and it is pretty evident too.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2020 at 18:41. Reason: typo
Tgo is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 16:18   #48
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Green One (AWD) - 110k Service

Maintenance Log @ 110K

The car was taken to Renault-Etawah for the 110,000 km service. Booked it in advance since this is the only Renault service center which I have seen taking in cars for a service on a Sunday. I like these small town service centers and you can talk to the guys working on your car. Being a Sunday, they are not as busy as they would be on other days. Also, the showroom is adjacent and I test drove the Triber too while the car was being washed and the bill was being readied. This was the quickest and the cheapest service I have had to pay for in a very long time.

They messed up on two counts. They damaged a high beam bulb, trying to see which type of bulb is installed as I had asked them to give me a spare set to keep in case of emergencies. I was compensated with a free alignment check which was good, since it was slightly out of spec. Secondly, they confirmed on the phone that they had the differential oil but the box had insufficient quantity for a full oil change. I try to stick to the 20,000 km interval for the differential oil change since I am now out of warranty and cannot afford to pay for a new one if it fails like before.

Got some minor adjustments done to the fog-lamp housing and the rear right wheel interior panel which was misaligned since long (maybe when the rear shock was replaced under warranty.

Got the wheels rotated since there was a close to a millimeter difference in the tread depth between the front and the rear tyres. Its been 18,000 km on the Michelin LTX Force tyres and I am quite happy with them.

Was thinking of getting the EGR cleaning done as well but they suggested me to get it done in the next service.

Service Cost: INR 6,741/-

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-snip.jpg

Detailed maintenance log can be viewed here. It is updated with the latest part numbers, cost and service charges etc.
Tgo is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 18:50   #49
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Green One (AWD) - 110k Service - Continued

I was noticing an oil puddle from below the car since the service was carried out. In less than a week and 100 kms from the service, the puddle had assumed the following proportions.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6421.jpg

I went to the local car wash ramp for inspection and found that the leak was directly from the drain plug and not the collected oil left over on top of the engine guard plate.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6420.jpg

Was immensely disappointed with the service carried out on the car. Thinking that they might have re-used the drain plug washer or had forgotten to tighten up the drain plug, I booked another visit with Renault-Etawah. After draining the oil from the engine it was found that the threads in the sump were gone. The drain plug was being held in place on the mercy of just 1 and a half thread.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6423.jpg

Immediately lodged a complaint with Renault Customer Service team via e-mail. They shipped a new sump from another service center after checking its availability and it will be replaced. Had to leave the car there today. Should be back on the road in a few days.

I was adamant that I wanted original parts and no jugaad or "outside-jobs" (as they mention in the service records) to avoid any liability on me if the oil leak occurs in the future and should the other service centers refuse to replace / repair it at their cost.
Tgo is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 18:40   #50
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: White One (2WD) - 180k Service

Update on the White One

The car was picked up form home for the 180K service. A write-up of all the jobs to be attended was sent to the SA looking after the car since last 2 years.

- Being and even 10s service, the car got a new fuel filter. Noticed that the oil billed was Castrol instead of the usual Elf. Accessory-drive-belt-kit and the coolant was replaced too as that comes in the 60k schedule. Got the wheels aligned and balanced too. The final amount invoiced was: INR 17,938/-

- They attended to the direction control knob at no cost, however they didn't tidy up the cables under the dashboard, didn't replace a clip from the front carpet, misplaced the lighter and lost a tyre valve cap. On taking up the issue, a technician was dispatched to set things right at home.
The ETC messages on the phone suggest that dad is out and about again, headed towards Ajmer, as of today.

Have ordered the Rear shocks from Boodmo, as I plan to get them replaced from outside as a first step in starting to trust FNGs. The parts itself cost 50% of what the Renault branded ones do, even thought the manufacturer is the same. The job is very straightforward and there shouldn't be any hiccups. Delivery awaited.

Update on the Green One
- Got the car back from Renault Etawah yesterday. They had replaced the oil sump the day before and had filled in fresh oil. All I did to confirm is to take a look from below and I could see a shiny new sump with a new OEM drain plug. So too their word for it and drove back home.

- Closed the complaint by signing a Satisfaction Note (the first time I came across this). Basically it mentions your complaint number and states that your issue has been addressed to your "entire satisfaction".

Note: I didn't get to fill a satisfaction note when I complained about the ECM going bad or the flywheel damage immediately after clutch replacement in the white car.
Here is what I suspect: They sign the form on your behalf and send it to Renault. They any-way forge the customer satisfaction feedback after every service, so it is not a big surprise. Their method is to change the registered mobile number (confirmed as I have been logged out of the app - which requires your registered mobile number for login, several times after getting a service done). So when Renault calls for feedback, someone from the dealership can give 10/10 for all questions. The second confirmation was that I needed time to print and sign the satisfaction note today. In the mean time, I got a call from the service center saying that they could sign on my behalf, if I permit.
- The LTX force tyres on this car, after the 18,000 kms that they have run, have lent a bit of heaviness to the steering.

- The rear right shock had signs of oil seepage. Will keep an eye on that for now.
Feels good to have the cars serviced back to back, even though in different locations. Gives you the peace of mind to pick up the keys and head out without worries.

Combined Odo reading: ~ 2,90,500 km
Tgo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 17:09   #51
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

re: Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km

Update on the Green One

Went on a short 2-day trip to Khajuraho. Finished writing the travelogue just now. Roads in MP still remain abominable. The Duster felt like the perfect weapon for this trip. The AWD bits would have been happy as the unpaved roads definitely woke them up from slumber. The tyres performed well too with the chunky tread pattern not picking up any gravel. The trails and slushy roads due to light showers were tackled meticulously. Thoroughly enjoyed the adventurous drive and the ruggedness of the vehicle.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-dsc03703.jpg
Nature walk at Raneh Falls, Khajuraho

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6588.jpg
A couple of days after the trip, the ODO registered 6 ones.

Combined Odo reading: ~ 2,92,200 km
Tgo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 17:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Update on the Green One

Went on a short 2-day trip to Khajuraho. Finished writing the travelogue just now.
Now you are making us poor souls feel jealous
Old 26th March 2020, 08:41   #53
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Now you are making us poor souls feel jealous
My bad, but this was on the weekend of 14th-15th. On our way back we received the news of lock down of a few states. The travelogue was compiled in the free time that I was home quarantined after travel.
Old 25th May 2020, 11:13   #54
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Green One

Having rung the car for just 200 kms since 17th March the battery gave up two days ago. Called the RSA and they jump started the car. Went for a short drive but the battery was not holding charge.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-whatsapp-image-20200524-19.52.30.jpeg
Got the battery charger from the local mechanic and tried charging it overnight.

No go... I think the battery is dead. Poor performance from the 50DIN battery in the Duster AWD. The 2WD has had no battery issues till date, though it also has a different 60DIN battery.
Tgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 20:16   #55
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Green One (AWD) - 5 years up!

Update on the Green One

With the few options available in the place where I live currently, getting the car washed on its birthday seemed like the least I could do. It also got a brand new Exide DIN 50 battery as a warranty replacement. The insurance was also renewed a few days ago. However much I tried convincing myself that Acko should be given a shot this time, I ended up with a policy from Bajaj Allianz.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img_6857.jpg
At 5 Years and 1,11,300 km; still brings back fond memories of it's first day in our lives.

Being the first car in my car ownership, it has a special spot in my heart. The Duster platform has proven to be very robust. The four models that it has spawned have all been appreciated for their comfortable ride and handling. Price of spares remains absurdly high. Just imagine that a DMF and clutch job of a Jetta (which is a CBU) costs less than the spares alone for a similar job on the Duster. Going forward one-off drivetrain configurations like the AMT, AWD, Turbo-CVT etc might bring some newness to the model mix but owners remain in the dark when it comes to the commitment of either Renault or Nissan to this platform.

Overall, I do not find any sensible replacement / upgrade options in the market for the Duster unless I go to the depreciation magnet segment, which I don't mind picking up used since I am already spending as much as their maintenance costs with the Duster.

Update on the White One

Doing its farm duty diligently. Have thought of getting it serviced from a FNG from now on. The rear shocks have been lying around for some time now. And The AC leak has to be attended.

Combined Odo reading: ~ 2,93,800
Tgo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 22:51   #56
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Two Renault Dusters sharing a garage

Update on the Green One

Since the car was down for almost 2 weeks to sort the battery issue during lockdown, I was quite worried of a rodent attack. I could see rat poop inside the engine bay in different locations every time I opened the hood in 2 days. All I could do was just tap around a bit in hope that the rat would be disturbed and abandon this hideout of its.
I opened the cowl covers (left and right) to access the fresh air intake for the AC. Showing two pictures of the vent flap close and open. There was a big pile-up of leaves and cotton which I cleared out using a vacuum cleaner. Just imagine the mayhem if I would have opened the fresh air vent without clearing the junk on top of it.
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-vent.jpg

The windshield washers had choked badly during the lockdown. There was no water coming out whatsoever. So I did the usual drill, check water, check the pump, check the water tubes. Finally came to the nozzles. I looked up how to remove the nozzles, which was a little challenging since I they cost 1200 bucks for a single nozzle. Once Out, believing that thei might have some scaling which was causing them to choke up, I dipped them in vinegar for an hour.
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-gunk.jpg
Finally figured out the nifty reversing feature built into the nozzle. After soaking, the screw started moving a bit.I used a simple flat head screw driver and rotated the screw half a turn. And see what reared its ugly face.
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-nozzle.jpg
With both the nozzles cleared out, The nozzles were back in service. Installed them back and tested them which went well. Issue sorted. Thanks to the guy who built this feature into the nozzle. Now I wonder what one does with the nozzles which do not have this feature - bin them?
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-cut.jpg
Finally - This is the extent of damage on the rubber seal under the bonnet due to the battery dying out. Got lucky?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update on the White One

The white one is at the service center, getting a bit of surgery. Might look a little freshened up after it's out. Will report soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combined Odo reading: ~ 2,94,000
Tgo is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 20:24   #57
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Two Renault Dusters sharing a garage

Update on the Green One

I had the opportunity of the first long drive since March as I had to get be in Jaipur for my brother's engagement. The drive which we usually do in 8 hours was cut short due to reduced traffic on the highways. I had always wanted to do this - engine on at departure and engine off at arrival. And I could do it for the first time - With the fuel and air topped up the previous day, 425 km were done in 6.5 hours - non stop. The car ran well. Love it when a well maintained machine rewards you like this.
Some of you might know that the Green car is going to be in the garage for longer. My dad has a wish to tour India and has been going through routes and planning in advance. Being optimistic about the plan even during COVID-19, he has planned to commence in December this year (If things get back to normal). I thought it would be a nice add-on to get a roof box for the car specifically for this trip. It would help in carrying some light camping gear (chairs / mats / umbrella / laundry etc.) and would serve as some extra luggage holding space. It would be nice if the kids or friends could tag along on certain stretches and that's when it is intended to be used to the T.

So here's a short run-through of the Roof-box and its features.

Model: Thule Touring M (/ Touring 200)
Colour: Grey
Material: ABS Plastic

Capacity: ~460 L
Load Capacity: 50 kg
Weight: 14.9 kg
Max Speed:130 kmph

Clamping: Claw type quick clamps accessible from inside
Security: Lockable (both sides) with 3 tie down straps inside
Hinges: Two, can be opened from either side (L or R)
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-new-phototastic-collage-1.jpg
It could be a bit lower with some customized cross bars. The Generic cargoloc ones serve the purpose well for now.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-new-phototastic-collage.jpg
The dual opening hinges in action - Access from both sides of the car.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6950.jpg
The tray with the clamps and tie down straps.

So over the last week we got the chance to try it out on the car. Fitting it onto the cross bars is a 5 minute job. Just place it on the cross bars and center it. Insert the clamps and turn the knob till they start ratcheting. The claws would have had a firm hold on the cross bars by then. Insert the tie down straps and we-re done.

IMPORTANT: As suggested in the supplied literature, it is recommended to measure the overall height of the roof box after installation and write it down on a sticker and paste it inside the car for the driver's reference.

Using it on the duster required standing on the rear wheel or using a stool to gain height. The hinges provide some assistance in opening the box so there isn't much effort required there. The slots where the clamps go through the lower box have a rubber gasket so it is properly weather sealed. We had the engagement at the farm so lots of stuff needed to be shifted there. The roof box came in handy ferrying the outfits to be worn for starters and later some odd items after placing them in suitable duffle bags. After strapping down the luggage,it doesn't bother you anymore. One has to be constantly aware of the increase in height so that you can avoid low lying branches and boom barriers. I left it on the car for the whole week whether it was full or empty. There was no additional wind noise except from the already existing whistle at >=80kmph which is a result of the roof bars. The handling didn't seem to change very much with light loading ~20-25 kg at city speeds neither did I feel much drag. So I guess it is a well designed product which I am happy to have with me for the added utility. Best thing is that the installation is simple, reversible and most importantly, transferable to the other car.
My dad was itching to get behind the wheel since the White One was in the ASC for repair. So on the return Journey, he accompanied me (this is how he came back). The drive back was a relaxed one. We chose a route which is a bit longer and had a near miss near Bharatpur. It might look really gruesome, but miraculously, no one was severely injured, just some cuts and bruises.. we checked.

And don't worry, I did a little DIY to fix the dislocated fog lamp. This has been a botched job by Renault Delhi South since the first year of ownership. The holder is held onto the bumper with the use of hog clips. I opened the fender liner on both sides and figured that it should be left like that (simple fix) rather than sending the car to the ASC. 45 minutes of sweat and tears in the garage and...

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img7037.jpg
...here's one filthy picture for you to sign-off.

Update on the White One

It's almost ready. Getting it back home tomorrow.

Combined Odo reading: ~ 2,98,600 ... almost there.
Tgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 13:20   #58
BANNED

Is there any car that you've driven that comes close to the ride quality of the duster? And have you driven the Captur/kicks ?
Old 7th July 2020, 20:05   #59

I have a colleague in my office who owns a petrol Duster (I am based in Dubai) - pre Covid he used to drive from office in Jebel Ali to Al Ain (200+ kms return) daily and has run up a high mileage (300k kms+) and the Duster is still going strong
baradus1210 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 22:59   #60
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhildrao View Post
Is there any car that you've driven that comes close to the ride quality of the duster? And have you driven the Captur/kicks ?
Not as extensively, but the Hector and Nexon EV were close (little softer) in the short 5-6 km drives at city speeds. Compass was next (little firmer). Cannot comment on the highway ride since that is another aspect altogether.

People say that the Hexa is the closest.

Captur / Kicks / Terrano are exactly the same cars having the same part numbers for the suspension and drive train components. So apart from the steering calibration they should ride and feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baradus1210 View Post
I have a colleague in my office who owns a petrol Duster (I am based in Dubai) - pre Covid he used to drive from office in Jebel Ali to Al Ain (200+ kms return) daily and has run up a high mileage (300k kms+) and the Duster is still going strong
I believe you get the 2.0 Petrol in that market. Probably an engine they used to put in the older model Megane / Fluence. Some pictures and his experience with the car are most welcome here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks