Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2019, 19:18   #31
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

re: Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km

Update on the Green One:

Either I dodged a bullet I was prepared for, or the bullet dodged me.

Went to Renault Etawah to get the malfunctioning hi-beam switch checked. As is customary, the switch wasn't malfunctioning in front of them, luckily I had made a video two day prior to my visit. They did however say, 'we cannot confirm whether we can get it fixed under warranty today itself since TVS is involved and they need to see a video of the diagnosis before approving a warranty claim.'

So during the fiddling, they removed the switch from the steering column. Cleaned it with some compressed air. Sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in the clip and refitted it.

There was a noticeable difference in the operation of the switch. It used to feel sticky earlier and after their cleaning and re-fitting it felt like new. And its original functions were restored. So I left it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post
...so not pushed at all.
Thanks. No need for pushing and shoving, as long as it is serving you dutifully.
Old 28th September 2019, 23:18   #32
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

The Green one to the rescue:

A friend got stuck in a water logged lawn in our township. Arranged for some tow straps and shackles immediately. Positioned my car on firm ground. 4WD locked-in for good measure. The extraction was effortless.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-84f9428fb354477a891e4ef322194867.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture.
Tgo is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 14:05   #33
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Green One (AWD) - 100k Service

For the last few days I was really worried about the extended warranty running out and the malfunctioning headlamp switch. Last week I had to visit Jaipur and thought of getting it checked there. This was going to be a evening drive and since I was doing it solo I didn't worry much about the slow pace I would need to maintain in case the high beam doesn't turn on. It did act up a few times and I decided to let the high beam on altogether after that. 425 km in 7 hrs, was home at around 11:30 in the night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maintenance Log @ 100K

The car went in for the 100,000 km Service at Renault Sitapura. I had with me 3-4 videos of the headlamp switch failing. They installed the new replacement switch assembly without waiting for the warranty surveyor's visit or approval from TVS. That was a nice gesture. Was informed about the worn out shock absorber bush kit in the front (was skeptical but thought of it as preventive maintenance) and the shock cover cum bump-stop which had disintegrated. Gave them the go-ahead for both jobs apart for the scheduled 100K service. They even re-aligned the sagging front doors which I wasn't having any problem with other than botched aesthetics.

Service Cost: INR 15,404/-
RSA (3 Years): INR 2,565/-

Name:  Log2.PNG
Views: 2734
Size:  12.7 KB

Detailed maintenance log can be viewed here. It is updated with the latest part numbers, cost and service charges etc.

NOTE: Renault Sitapura and VKI, Jaipur have a new owner now. The new principals are Pratap Cars Pvt. Ltd. instead of Nirmal Cars (earlier). The staff has not changed but the GM who was handling most of Rajasthan (as Nirmal Cars had presence all over Rajasthan) has left.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The White One was sent for the 170K service with the same person who came to deliver the Green One after the above mentioned service. The previous day, it came into limp mode a couple of times, had lethargic pick-up and the check engine lights would come up randomly. Will update soon.
Tgo is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 01:33   #34
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

The picture with 6 digits on the 4WD’s ODO. 4 years and 4 months.
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-05ed876ee8b541feae7148fc269747d8.jpeg

Meanwhile, the white one needs a new pacemaker. Related post (ECM changed, now what?)
Tgo is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 17:21   #35
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: White One (2WD) - 170k Service

Update on the White One

The white one had to go for the scheduled 170K service. Two days before it was taken in, the engine had erratic acceleration, took longer cranks to start-up along with the check engine light and the injection system light glowing continuously on the cluster. We added it along with the other points in the checklist and conveyed it to the SA.

The brake pads and rotors needed a replacement. We asked them to go ahead.
The shock bump stops had cracked. We okay-ed that too.
The shocks had no resistance to compression. We agreed for replacing that too.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-susp.jpg
Shock replacement being carried out.

Then they got to diagnosing the engine ignition system related fault. After a lot of swapping of sensors, cleaning and re-clipping the wiring connectors, checking the wiring for cracks etc. they said the flywheel seems to be faulty and will have to remove the gearbox to inspect it. We were reluctant but agreed.

They shared a pic of a seeping crank case main oil seal. We agreed for replacement since they were only charging for part cost not for labour as it was part of the diagnosis.

They replaced the flywheel and took a test drive and concluded that the problem was solved. We believed them and asked them to check the clutch plate. They said it doesn't need a replacement but also offered a labour free replacement now, since it was part of the diagnostics process of this engine fault. We went ahead with that too since it was a logically correct preventive maintenance to do. Some consolation for shelling out 43k for a new flywheel, we thought.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-clutch.jpg
Picture of the original clutch and flywheel after 170K km.

While testing the vehicle for final delivery the problem re-occurd and they communicate the same. They remove the new flywheel and re-install the original one since the problem definitely lay elsewhere. They checked the sensors and wiring once again and suggestd ordering a new ECM (engine control module) which is to be specifically ordered against this vehicle's VIN. That part is on order / in transit.

The good part is that the car has had a minor overhaul with the following work done:
  • New Brakes (Pads and Rotors) ~ INR 10,000/-
  • New Transmission Oil ~ INR 1,400/-
  • New crank main seal ~ INR 2,000/-
  • New Clutch (Friction+Pressure plate and Release bearing) ~ INR 14,500/-
  • New clutch cum brake fluid ~ INR 250/-
  • New front suspension ~ INR 8,800/-
  • New mud flaps ~ INR 750/-
  • New Oil and filters
  • 3 Year RSA ~ INR 2500/-

As on date, we took the car back after the 170 k service with two jobs remaining.
a) Radio switching on and off on its own.
b) Engine / Ignition (ECM related) fault.
Once these are attended, the car will be back on the road with a new feel to it. Kind of a mid life revival.

My ECM related knowledge is being enhanced on this thread. Lets see what happens next...
Tgo is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:56   #36
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Update on the White One
a) The ECM was replaced with a new one yesterday and subsequent trials were taken. I had gone through the manual in an attempt to try and understand the issue. The fault codes listed for the engine speed circuit were related to the inconsistency in the circuit which has a specific symptom of reducing engine performance in the every 4th cycle after three successive cycles registering the inconsistency. For three run cycles of the engine the level 1 warning (temp check engine light) was displayed and on the 4th crank the engine used to behave erratically (reduced power), which was associated with a level 2 warning (permanent check engine light and injection system fault light).

With this pattern confirmed, the absence of it after replacing with a new ECM confirmed to us that the fault was there in the old ECM.

ECM Cost ~ INR 48,000/- (installed)

b) Radio connection was re-checked and re-installed and the restarting has stopped for now.
This was a costly service since the ECM issue cropped up coincidentally.

But, the Duster is back on the road now... and as if to rejoice, it has started making the mild crackle (exhaust related) during in gear acceleration between 2200 to 2500 rpm like it used to when it was new.

Last edited by Tgo : 2nd November 2019 at 11:06.
Tgo is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 15:26   #37
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: AWD goes to DDN

Update on the Green One

I had to attend my MBA convocation at the University campus in Dehradun. A quick trip was planned well in advance. The four of us grouped in Delhi and headed for Dehradun for a 2 day trip. This was the AWDs first trip there whereas the white one had been there many times in the past. We started early from Delhi and reached Dehradun by 10:30 AM which left us with the rest of the day to be spent at the FRI museums. The weather was unpredictable but it didn't hamper the journey in any way.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-november-rain.jpg
November Rain encountered on the Yamuna E-way. Some respite from the airborne pollution in Delhi

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-7deg.jpg
7 degrees Celcius, 5:00 AM in Dehradun on the day we returned. PC: condensation on camera lens.

The return journey was a long haul of 650 kms covered in two legs with a lunch break at Delhi. FasTag implementation has been improved on the Agra Lucknow E-way. Overall 1600 kms added to the odo in 4 days.

During this trip I discovered that 4 passengers and their 3 days' luggage is the limit beyond which a change in the weight distribution starts to show in the vehicle's handling, braking and acceleration. And also, the clutch has a peculiar nature where prolonged highway use 3-4 hrs makes it dislike stop and go traffic and it starts juddering if the drive from the engine is not positive (rpm has to be above 1200 while releasing the clutch for no juddering). It is something that other AWD owners have also reported and seems to be normal.
Tgo is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 16:40   #38
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: White One (2WD) - 170k Service - continues

update on the White One

While the Green one clocks miles at a slow pace (due to the bike being re-commissioned) the White one is back in the service center.

We were not quite happy with the engine roughness and weird sounds cropping up under acceleration. It also developed a stickiness in the clutch pedal which was felt while releasing it. Furthermore the driver door latch mechanism had worn out and would stop working if not tickled a bit before closing the door.

It took 3 visits to the service center for the issues above and during each visit we informed the engine roughness since the ECM replacement. Every time it was looked into and something or the other was found to be loose in the engine bay. Still not fully satisfied we sent in the vehicle for a master cylinder replacement since the car needed to go on a 3000 km trip to Gujarat.

Bad News: The Flywheel needs replacement as it has developed excessive play.... Yes, with the Duster you learn something new everyday and there are things which get onto your nerves. Being a DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) it is not serviceable and is more sensitive, more expensive.

Why did the flywheel go bad soon after it was removed and refitted as part of the ECM fault diagnosis?

The car is at the service center awaiting resolution of this conflict.
Renault management has been made aware of the scenario.
Tgo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 11:23   #39
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: White One - Touring Gujarat

... update on the White One

Since the last post, we had a word with the Service Center where the car had been readied. After the conversation and taking due clearance from their management, half the cost of the flywheel was pitched in by them. Renault pitched in the cost of the master cylinder. All due to the grey area regarding flywheel failure after refitting and our long term relation with Renault.

The white one was brought home on the 14th and everything seemed to be fine. On the 16th morning, my dad proceeded on a Birding trip to Gujarat.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-photo20191217224207.jpg
Early morning Chai-break at Bar, RJ

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-photo20191217230148-1.jpg
Destination: Zainabad,GJ | Distance: ~700 km

With a week full of travel, it is expected to have another 2,500 clicks on the odo.
Mile munching continues.
Performing like before.
Functioning well.
Happy owners.
Tgo is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 16:26   #40
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: The White One - Back from Gujarat

The White One has returned from the ~2,500 km week-long trip to Gujarat.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img_5869.jpg
Next to the Arabian Sea at Mundra

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img_5871.jpg
Kutch Safari Resort, Rudramata Dam, Bhuj

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img5875.jpg
Chari Dandh Bird Sanctuary, Kutch

Return was a dash back to Jaipur from somewhere near Bhuj. The odo has crossed 175,000 km. All repairs on the flywheel and clutch have been tried and tested. Everything seems to be doing good.

Next update will be after both the Dusters return from a trip to Chandelao (near Jodhpur) in the first week of January 2020.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.
Tgo is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 12:38   #41
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trip to Jodhpur

Our family gets together every year for the New Year's. This time a two day outing to Chandelao-Jodhpur had been planned. The Dusters were loaded to the gills with luggage on each leg of the journey. All the drives were on well paved roads and were leisurely with a chatty bunch rearranging themselves and catching-up on life since the last meet.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6190.png
Pit-stop for hot snacks and tea at Barr, RJ

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6189.png
Chandelao Garh, built in the mid 1700s was where we put up for two days.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6048.jpg
At Mehrangarh Fort, for a quick sunny-day visit.

Update on the Green one
Got the car washed and cleaned at a 3M center. Satisfactory results.

Got the vinyl missing from the RR door B-pillar re-applied.

Ordered OEM replacement boot lid lifters from Boodmo for 1/5th of the price.

Ordered a rubber bung for the fuel filler flap too.
Update on the White One
The drive-train behaves exceptionally well after the clutch+flywheel job.The clutch bite point has gone down. It engages within an inch of travel from the floor. The effort required to operate the clutch has also reduced considerably.

The harshness is still present from the day the new ECM was installed. Spending more time with the car in person made me realize that it is just a gruff noise from the engine while accelerating. There are no vibrations associated. Makes me believe some sound deadening pads might have come loose.

The clicking sound from the under-body seems to be a suspension component as it occurs when the suspension is loaded unevenly (when the weight shifts either under braking, accelerating or going slowly over big speed barkers at an angle)

The rear suspension needs to be Overhauled as it has started creaking.
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img6176.jpg
The dog at the farm loves the sight of these cars approaching.

Combined Odo reading: ~ 2,80,000 km
Tgo is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 12:37   #42
BHPian

Excellent write up Tgo. I bought a new Nissan kicks this month, which I believe has the same underpinnings of Duster. I have this issue of Vehicle pulling to the left, found that the camber value on RHS front is out of spec and it is not adjustable (after taking it to a tyre alignment shop). I am really confused as it looks like a very sticky issue. My interactions with the ASC is not positive.
Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 21:01   #43
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I am really confused as it looks like a very sticky issue. My interactions with the ASC is not positive.
To be honest, I have not been able to solve this issue on my AWD till date. It used to be fine initially when the car was new. Then as the Wanderers (1st set) got old it became worse. Then with the Yokos (2nd set) it was mostly non-existent till mid life. After a wheel rotation it became really bad and I used to get a sprain in my arm just trying to fight the steering forces to keep the vehicle going straight. With the Michelins (3rd set) the effort required to keep the car straight is negligible, but the car does pull to the left. It keeps changing. Sometimes the alignment guys get it right and sometimes they mess it up badly.

On the 2WD, with the Michelins (current and last set) I doesn't have this issue at all.

My advice:
- You can ask Nissan to provide a full alignment report (with specified and measured values mentioned on it) and accordingly correct the camber, since it cannot be out-of-spec on a brand new car.
- Don't fuss about it unless its affecting you physically or resulting in excessive tyre wear.
Tgo is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 00:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
To be honest, I have not been able to solve this issue on my AWD till date. It used to be fine initially when the car was new. Then as the Wanderers (1st set) got old it became worse. Then with the Yokos (2nd set) it was mostly non-existent till mid life. After a wheel rotation it became really bad and I used to get a sprain in my arm just trying to fight the steering forces to keep the vehicle going straight. With the Michelins (3rd set) the effort required to keep the car straight is negligible, but the car does pull to the left. It keeps changing. Sometimes the alignment guys get it right and sometimes they mess it up badly.

On the 2WD, with the Michelins (current and last set) I doesn't have this issue at all.

My advice:
- You can ask Nissan to provide a full alignment report (with specified and measured values mentioned on it) and accordingly correct the camber, since it cannot be out-of-spec on a brand new car.
- Don't fuss about it unless its affecting you physically or resulting in excessive tyre wear.

Thanks a ton for your comments. I finally got this issue resolved. They replaced the Front RHS Knuckle and this fixed the camber issue. The pulling has become neutral now. The vehicle pulls to the direction based on road camber after 5-7 seconds and I believe this is normal. As you mention I think this platform has sensitive steering compared to other cars due to the design(failure?). The tyres, minor camber create significant pulling issues.

It took me a some effort to solve this, however I am happy that this is fixed.
Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 10:53   #45
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Great to hear about the tracking straight now.

I was going through the Kicks's brochure last night after replying to your post. Found it to be a great package specially due to the freshness it offers compared to the Duster / Captur, though being the same car underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
As you mention I think this platform has sensitive steering compared to other cars due to the design(failure?).
I am not too sure about the design part but the set-up is problematic. Since they go through the parts one by one while diagnosing the problems (be it camber or others), all I can say that the problems crop up due to multiple causes. They themselves have not been able to identify the particular component or the manufacturing process which is leading to such issues, or they aren't being up-front about it.
Tgo is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed