Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2021, 16:01   #76
BHPian

re: Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Hello AntPaul,
Hope your Duster is not giving you a tough time after all these years of use. Would love to hear about it.
To be honest I am not entirely happy with the car(could be due to bad A$$ experience). Car got me and my brother stranded a couple of times from the 5th year of ownership, each time within a week after completing regular service at A$$. The A$$ never seem to diagnose real issues. They just recommend part replacements. I have tried out all 3 authorized service centers in my home town near Kochi(Kerala), not happy with any of them.

The car and I are in different states now for more than a year due to Covid related travel scares, and arrival of my second child.

During the last breakdown, the A$$ advised us to change the high pressure fuel pump. But the actual issue was a blocked fuel filter(7 days after its replacement by A$$). I don't know what to make of it. Bad fuel?

My brother found a small garage recently that is trustworthy and interested in working with the car. The garage owner is a car enthusiast and has an AWD 110ps.

The issues I faced so far are:
1) Water ingress in front passenger side firewall. A$$ could not fix it. Got it fixed from an independent garage.
2) EGR replacement.
3) high pressure fuel pump + all 4 injectors overhaul. Done at the recommendation of the above mentioned small garage.
4) AC direction knob twice.
5) Intercooler hose minor leak.
AntPaul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 20:54   #77
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
During the last breakdown, the A$$ advised us to change the high pressure fuel pump. But the actual issue was a blocked fuel filter(7 days after its replacement by A$$). I don't know what to make of it. Bad fuel?

My brother found a small garage recently that is trustworthy and interested in working with the car. The garage owner is a car enthusiast and has an AWD 110ps.
That about sums up the point of discord among Renault owners. It's common sense to check and replace the less expensive part first.

Hope you have a better experience with the FNG.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 14:42   #78
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Two Renault Dusters sharing a garage | Milestone Updates on Both Cars

Update on the Green One

Over the last weekend the car completed 6 years of ownership and it has achieved an average yearly run of 20,800 km/year.

It has been running quite well since the front end was changed. Back to back long drives to Delhi and Bharatpur over last two weekends were good times spent behind the wheel after a long time.
  • There are no more engine codes and the pick-up in 5th and 6th gears also feels more sprightly. It could be a result of the replaced intercooler setup.
  • The steering feels vague n a left turn at around 60 degrees (kind of jumps about the point where you have it held, only while the wheels are rolling).
  • Big budget service spends are inevitable now. Keeping aside a fund to take care of Wheel bearings, Brakes and the Clutch.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img_9416.jpg
125,000 clicks while cruising on the Agra Lucknow Expressway.

7th year Insurance renewal
Can you imagine getting a qoute of INR 50K for this car? Well that was offered by Renault Secure. Finally went ahead with Royal Sundaram for INR 27,000/- as they were the only traditional insurance provider which were offering a zero depriciation add-on.

Really wanted to try Acko, but their replies and explanations on tie-up with Renault ASCs remained ambiguous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update on the White One

The car has crossed the 200,000 km mark!

It has lost 3 wheel bolts and that is the only complaint to be reported to the ASC for the 200 K service. Service update to follow soon.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img_e9411.jpg
Parked alongside the sibling, during a quick meet-up with the parents at Bharatpur.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combined Odo reading: ~ 3,25,750 km
Tgo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:25   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post

My brother found a small garage recently that is trustworthy and interested in working with the car. The garage owner is a car enthusiast and has an AWD
I am a Duster AWD owner from Bangalore. Could you please share the details of this garage.
I also do not have any trust left in the Authorised service centers in Bangalore.
Memnon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 13:25   #80
BHPian

What a beautiful thread mate. I have been wondering about service issues etc. that one might face in the long run. This is my first buy in India, Feb 2017 AWD.
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img_20190127_103258.jpg

The car has had absolutely no issues except for when the ASS got me to change the rear shock absorbers - maybe because of those off-roading trips Although I read somewhere on your thread that replacing them is not really required!
Quote:

Green One - 120K Service

As per them the shockers are serviceable parts and they never go bad.
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img20180316wa0011.jpg
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img20180316wa0012.jpg

I am otherwise very careful with my cars, and haven't had a single scratch on this one - and this is about to reach 50000 (waiting for that odo pic to upload here soon).

With all those troubles that you guys have pointed out, I wonder if it's even worthwhile keeping the car for longer. I have had an absolute niggle free experience so far but have a big expense on hand with the tyre change - have been running stock MRFs - I am thinking Conti Cross Contact AT. How were your Michelins - was it Primacy or Latitude? I guess we will have to reckon with what is available now in the market.
pratyaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 14:02   #81
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyaksh View Post
What a beautiful thread mate.

This is my first buy in India, Feb 2017 AWD. I am otherwise very careful with my cars, and haven't had a single scratch on this one - and this is about to reach 50000 (waiting for that odo pic to upload here soon).

Although I read somewhere on your thread that replacing them is not really required!

How were your Michelins - was it Primacy or Latitude?
Thank you. You must be knowing a doc from your town who owns a V-cross now and had the lifted Duster AWD before that. Came across him through a whatsapp group. A very passionate guy, I must say.

You car looks clean. Seeing a UP registration now brings about the same feelings to me now as much as seeing plates of my home state (RJ). I stay in Auraiya for work.

I have tried two variants of the Michelins. Primacy on the 2WD and LTX Force on the AWD. Both have exceeded my expectations. Will always buy this brand unless there is a shortage. I heard the dealers have started re-stocking, but you will have to see if the sizes are available. Continental and Goodyear are on my list for the next tyre change if I cannot find Michelins.

I would like to know where you got the door protection panels installed from. The cost and how its colour matches with the wheel arch cladding.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 14:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. You must be knowing a doc from your town who owns a V-cross now and had the lifted Duster AWD before that. Came across him through a whatsapp group. A very passionate guy, I must say.

I would like to know where you got the door protection panels installed from. The cost and how its colour matches with the wheel arch cladding.
Yes I've seen him around but have never really got around to talking to him.
All the cladding is stock. I guess it's just what was in the Adventure edition. I have only tuned the engine and have a Borla Exhaust.
pratyaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 17:20   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With all those troubles that you guys have pointed out, I wonder if it's even worthwhile keeping the car for longer. I have had an absolute niggle free experience so far but have a big expense on hand with the tyre change - have been running stock MRFs - I am thinking Conti Cross Contact AT. How were your Michelins - was it Primacy or Latitude? I guess we will have to reckon with what is available now in the market.
You can try Good Year Wrangler AT Silentrac. We are using on both our Duster AWDs and also Bolero 4WD, pretty satisfied with them. Unconditional Warranty of 2 years and pro-rata for 5 years is an added bonus.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 22:00   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
You can try Good Year Wrangler AT Silentrac. We are using on both our Duster AWDs and also Bolero 4WD, pretty satisfied with them. Unconditional Warranty of 2 years and pro-rata for 5 years is an added bonus.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Yes,I had those on my radar too but my town doesn't seem to have too many options. Conti dealership is a friend's so I've peace of mind.

Last edited by pratyaksh : 16th June 2021 at 22:07. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:33   #85
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Two Renault Dusters sharing a garage | Milestone Updates on Both Cars

Quote:
Update on the Green One
Over the last weekend the car completed 6 years of ownership and it has achieved an average yearly run of 20,800 km/year.
Though I should post the stacked-up expense chart here in order to let everyone know of what it took to keep this car running over the last 6 years for the Duster AWD.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-exp.jpg
Old 3rd July 2021, 13:17   #86
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: White One (2WD) - 200K Service

Quote:
Service update to follow soon.

White One - 200K Service

Motrio saves the day.

Name:  Motrio_Groupe_Renault.png
Views: 771
Size:  17.6 KB

For those who do not know, Renault has begun offering Motrio branded parts as an alternative product line to keep service costs of high mileage vehicles relatively lower in the long run. Many might know that My Renault app provides you the option of getting service estimates using Motrio parts for quite some time now.
I had enquired about availability of these parts for my AWD in the 120K service in Feb 2021. My service advisor told me that they have these parts available for Ph-1 models only. So this time when the White One went for the service, he automatically installed Motrio branded parts that were available in stock. INR 12,000/- for a 2,00,000 km service sounds alright to me.

M Fuel Filter | P/N: 8660095011 | INR 990/-
Usual Cost ~ INR 2,500/-
M Brake Pads | P/N: 8660095001 | INR 2,374/-
Usual Cost ~ INR 4,000/-
Apart from this, they replaced the missing wheel lug bolts, engine oil, filters and did an alignment.

The AC air distribution unit had failed again for which they needed to remove and refit the dashboard and charge AC gas.
They did a comprehensive check of the vehicle this time and found that the front left control arm needs replacement. Asked them to keep it on hold as my dad said he wants to cross-check the symptoms that the ASC guys were stating which led them to diagnose the problem.

Control arms would cost 6K for each side, will get it checked whether the whole arm needs replacement or just the bushes can be replaced. Also, the lower ball joint is riveted to the control arms so they need to be checked too.

Trying to source the original faux-leather seat base or cover for the torn driver seat from the scrappers.

Last edited by Tgo : 3rd July 2021 at 13:20.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 19:39   #87
BHPian

Wow! 200k! Amazing thread, man.
Just out of curiosity, how long do you plan to keep the white one now that its done such a colossal mileage? Any plans to upgrade on the horizon?
Old 4th July 2021, 00:16   #88
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Just out of curiosity, how long do you plan to keep the white one now that its done such a colossal mileage? Any plans to upgrade on the horizon?
Thanks.

1-2 years is the max we think we’ll keep it.
The plan goes like this.

The Green one stays and is handed over to dad to be retained till its 10 years old. Assigned long distance touring duty only.

The white one and the other beater car (Figo 1.2P) get sold off. Replaced with an EV (Nexon for now, till something better comes up in and around that price range). We have solar PV based electricity at both the houses and the running is quite high even within the city.

That’s the plan according to me. Dad might think otherwise. He’s currently mentally and physically busy with a construction project so will initiate the topic again when boredom sets in after a year.

As on date, if I had to, I would replace the Duster with a used Jeep Compass with 45-60k on the odo.
Old 9th August 2021, 14:14   #89
BHPian

Hi Tgo/fellow BHPians, Wanted to pick your brain here. I have a major trip planned with family soon, and have a new problem. Carrying the excessive luggage. I have always likes the roof boxes on Dusters, and have finally found a reason to get one
I have found only Farad which seems to be an Italian make, and has some good reviews. Having never forayed into this, I would like to ask fellow BHPians for their advice on the same. Adding links from Amazon.in for the the only option available.
1. Roof Box - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0089ZPX32/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HFYMF2MNSK39MFJP00T7?_encodin g=UTF8&psc=1
2. Roof Bars - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B098BGL7G8/?coliid=I3O3PTSYWGP767&colid=3E7DHR278NZPX&psc=1&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Roof Bars, and Box need to be bought separately costing INR 12,988/- and INR 34,202/- respectively

Do we know of any other options available in India?
Also would like to know if my Adventure edition roof bars would be able to support the weight of the luggage or are they supposed to be non-load bearing!
Any assistance would be helpful as the trip is coming up soon. Cheers.
Old 9th August 2021, 23:46   #90
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Tgo/fellow BHPians, Wanted to pick your brain here. I have a major trip planned with family soon, and have a new problem. Carrying the excessive luggage.
Also would like to know if my Adventure edition roof bars would be able to support the weight of the luggage or are they supposed to be non-load bearing!
The rails on the roof (factory fitted) are rated till 50 kg. Subtract the weight of the box and the cross bars and you can place 35kg in the box. Also remember that the lighter the stuff you put up high the better and safer it will be. Leaves you with the option of placing just duffle bags with light contents in the roof box.

Another annoyance will be the wind noise (whistling) no matter how aerodynamic the cross bar design is. At certain speed (above 80kmph in my case) it will definitely be present.

I have managed to do 99.99% of my trips which mean trips where luggage of 5 for 8-10 days could be managed inside the boot after removing the parcel tray.

Farad is a new entrant and is sensibly priced too. Maybe you can work out a return if the setup whistles a lot. My advice would be to let it be unless you travel a lot. The rules are silent on installing a roof top storage on private vehicles and at best it is deemed illegal.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks