Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2022, 12:39   #106
BHPian

re: Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramkumar7 View Post
The tread left in the tyres after a 101,000 km run is still sufficient for another 10,000 km, as per the Renault service guy.
tyres
Hi Ramkumar,

I am afraid, it looks your tyres have less than minimum prescribed thread depth, and it will have significantly reduced grip in wet roads if not on dry road. The rubber 'bridge' that is joining the thread is called thread wear indicator(TWI). When TWI comes to contact with the road, it indicates it time to change your tyres(as per the tyre manufacturer). Its amazing that they lasted so long. I have seen Bridgestone Duellers lasting for 80L in Scorpios. My OEM MRF wanderer sport lasted little less that 60K kilometers.

Quoting from apollo tyres website.
https://www.apollotyres.com/en-in/ca...nd-bike-tyres/

Inspecting the Tread Wear Indicator
New car tyres come with a tread wear indicator for the convenience of general users. The tread wear indicator is a bar built in the tyre tread patterns. When the tyre is new, these bars are barely visible. But as the rubber wears, the bars become visible as small bridges between the tread lines. If you can see more than one or two of these bars, then your car needs tyre replacement.
AntPaul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 03:55   #107
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramkumar7 View Post
Hi Tgo, I do not follow the 5 wheel rotation. I only follow the running 4 wheels rotation. I also have the standard 4 alloy and one steel wheel, as supplied by the OEM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
In the second pic, you can clearly see the tyre has worn upto the level of the tread wear indicator. Another 10K KM's at the risk of passenger safety is not worth IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
I am afraid, it looks your tyres have less than minimum prescribed thread depth, and it will have significantly reduced grip in wet roads if not on dry road. The rubber 'bridge' that is joining the thread is called thread wear indicator(TWI). When TWI comes to contact with the road, it indicates it time to change your tyres(as per the tyre manufacturer). Its amazing that they lasted so long.
Apart from the safety aspect, just change the tyres and enjoy the improvement in the ride quality and comfort. It also helps save the suspension components and wheel bearings. They tyres you are running on have lost most of the cushioning effect that the tread gives. They are running like rock hard air balloons at the moment.

The depth in the tread (which is all gone in your tyres) helps displace water when driving on a wet surface. You have high chances of hydroplaning, increased stopping distances and losses due to wheel spin during turns and acceleration.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 23:27   #108

My colleague's Duster is well on its way to hit the 500k kms mark - currently running at 486k kms - simply amazing, will get pictures next time I meet him in the office
baradus1210 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 11:16   #109
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Green One - 7 Years-Up! | 140K Service

Name:  Duster.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  147.6 KB

With most of the fluids changed last time, this service was a quick one. The cost of the Diesel fuel filter is touching 3,500 bucks now. Other than that The car has been fuss free. It became difficult for my parents to travel during the heat wave. With the White one nearing 10 years, trips requiring travelling through NCR is done in this one only.

Insurance was renewed by Royal Sundaram and we managed to get Zero-Dep coverage for the 8th year of ownership. Expensive, but its probably the last time it is offered.

Tyres are going to be the next big expense along with a suspension overhaul. Will wait for it till I get back in February and assess the situation.

Used just by my Dad these days who cycles between this and the white one. Still it averages out at 20,000 km in the 7 years of ownership.

Here are some stats for the nerdy kin.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 791
Size:  60.2 KB

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-.jpg

Combined Odo reading: ~ 3,55,600 km
Tgo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 13:09   #110

My colleague has a 2 litre engine on his Duster, mileage as of last week was 490,490 kms and is well on the way to exceed 500k kms, image of the odometer attached
Attached Thumbnails
Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img_1811.jpg  

baradus1210 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 01:23   #111
BHPian

Upgraded to new Momo rims today from Chakra Wheels, Delhi @13,500/- a piece. Got carried away and had the calipers painted golden to match the roof rails courtesy of Chakra (included in the price of the rims)

Old OEM rims had given up on the balancing front, and the steering vibration just wouldn't go above 120 kmph. This change was more of a need than a want.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-img_20220815_000845.jpg
pratyaksh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 09:34   #112
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: SOLD! the White One.

SOLD! the White One.

This had been a long time coming. With me moving to Canada last year and my brother going to the field next year my Dad was going to juggle between 4 Cars and 2 bikes, in a household where he is the only driver.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-screenshot-20220926-9.22.29-pm.png
So that's the 3rd vehicle we ever sold, and all three were through Team-BHP classifieds.

With an optimistic figure in mind we posted the ad on Team-BHP classifieds. There was only one response, and that was it. The person who approached had known and read about the car on this thread and didn't have any unreasonable requests. He negotiated only after seeing the car in person, sent two offers while still waiting for us to respond to his offers. So in a course of 2 months, this gentleman, true to his words, sent the final offer and we finalised at a price less than listed, but not too bad for a Renault with >200K km on the odd.

A few parting shots on the day it left us, with 3 months short of 10 years and 215,556 km of delightful service. That mileage has sort of become a theme with the Qualis as well, earlier.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-whatsapp-image-20220926-9.34.58-pm-1.jpeg

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-whatsapp-image-20220926-9.34.58-pm.jpeg

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-whatsapp-image-20220926-9.34.57-pm.jpeg

What's gone is gone, and we believe in moving on. I wish the new owner well with the ownership and am sure he would have no issues crossing 350K km with this well kept example. If he chooses to update us on that's well and good, but we have no plans of following up on its journey now. It would be nice to get a glimpse of it once in a while.
Tgo is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 07:27   #113
BHPian

Re: SOLD! the White One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
What's gone is gone, and we believe in moving on.
Not directly related to the context, but this line is a beautiful thing to remind ourselves of the shortness of life and learn to let go of things and people. The sooner we do so, the sooner we find peace in our hearts.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 11:52   #114
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Life goes on with the Green One

The Green one continues to be used as the primary mile muncher outside the city. It was in MP with my brother for 3 months. It needs a bit of a suspension overhaul on all four corners and a new set of tyres in another 5/7 k km. But here it is off the road and doing interesting things.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-e4fe6291c8984035a5732af04e13cc01.jpeg

How do you get a good picture of migratory raptors on a salt bed where there is no vegetation to camouflage yourself?

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-25e2524e11ba4a4ba6506bb2762e5e98.jpeg

Hours of crouching and crawling to get the perfect shot.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 22:53   #115

Hi Tgo
What a wonderful review you...and such a great car. I needed some help from the community.
I have a Duster(2017 model)
It soon needs a tyre change
Our car is primarily used on highways and for long distances. So need tyres accordingly. I was considering Michelin based on the good reviews, but they aren't mentioned on the official website.
Are they still available? If not what are my other options?
Thanks in advance
Duster85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 12:18   #116
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster85 View Post
Hi Tgo
What a wonderful review you...and such a great car. I needed some help from the community.
I have a Duster(2017 model)
It soon needs a tyre change
Our car is primarily used on highways and for long distances. So need tyres accordingly. I was considering Michelin based on the good reviews, but they aren't mentioned on the official website.
Are they still available? If not what are my other options?
Thanks in advance
Thank you for appreciating this thread. Its a bit laid back in the updates now since I am not using the car primarily.

I see Michelin’s website for india has Primacy SUV and now there’s a Primacy SUV+ range as well. You can never go wrong with these.
Old 14th February 2023, 13:23   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Thank you for appreciating this thread. Its a bit laid back in the updates now since I am not using the car primarily.

I see Michelin’s website for india has Primacy SUV and now there’s a Primacy SUV+ range as well. You can never go wrong with these.
Thank you for your advice... I was actually told by the tyre shops that they aren't available. I had to get Apollo tyres on my car as they were the only ones available ( I had a road trip coming up so couldn't wait for Michelins.
Old 3rd September 2023, 11:23   #118
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Green One - 160,000 km Up

Short Update - 8th year and 1,60,000 km Up!

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-1a.jpeg
Still gets to have some off-road action | Deogarh, RJ

In June 2023, the Green one entered into its 8th year. Since the last update,
  • It went for 2 routine services at 150k and 160k km
  • Had the suspension overhaul (Front and Rear) at Renault ASC
  • A new Set of Yokohama Golandar AT G015 tires
  • A new rear bumper which was ripped out by a tractor in a narrow village lane
  • Royal Sundaram thankfully still offered Zero Depreciation cover in the 8th year

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-2.jpeg
Discovered a colony of Streak-throated Swallows | Kahrwa, RJ

Dad is the primary user of all the three cars in the garage now. He's mostly taking the Santro AMT out for the city runs. Keeps the Nexon running occasionally. And uses this as the primary tourer for anything outside the city.

My brother coaxed him into trying out the Scorpio and the Jimny. He still didn't like the scorpio's ride. And for the Jimny he had nostalgic sentiments but the excitement died down after a few days of taking the test drive. He's keen on stretching this one out for another two years. And hopefully there will be more updates on this thread before the final one.

Two Renault Dusters that once shared a Garage @ 3,75,000 km-3.jpeg
Routine highway duties | Behror, RJ

Combined Odo reading: ~ 3,75,800 km
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks