Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2022, 14:41   #286
BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!

I have also booked a Diesel Manual and your fantastic ownership thread has been a great help.

I am finalizing the accessories. Can you tell me a bit more about the tyre inflator you use? Is it the Jeep one?
Also what mats are you using? Are they the Jeep 7D? I have been using the 3M mesh mats in my cars till now.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 11:24   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I have also booked a Diesel Manual and your fantastic ownership thread has been a great help.
Congratulations!Wishing you many many happy and safe miles ahead!

Quote:
I am finalizing the accessories. Can you tell me a bit more about the tyre inflator you use? Is it the Jeep one?
I am using a Coido tyre inflator since last 10 years. It has worked flawlessly so far.

Quote:

Also what mats are you using? Are they the Jeep 7D? I have been using the 3M mesh mats in my cars till now.
I am using the normal Jeep mats only. However I have heard good feedbacks about their slush mats. I am planning to get the current one replaced with the slush mats.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 21:35   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

80K Kms Update

80K Kms Update:

ODO crossed the 80K mark during a drive to home town and back.

During this drive, I noticed a very mild vibration while crossing the 120Kmph mark and so decided to get the Wheel Alignment and Balancing done. Its around 7K Kms since I got it done last.

As usual I went to Madhus for Wheel Alignment/Balancing. There was a slight change in the alignment reading and this was corrected. Some weights were added to the wheels as well. Along with this, the tyre rotation was done too. The bill came to 2K.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-m.jpg

Tyres after 30K Kms (Yokohama Earth1). I think I can stretch this for another 15-20K Kms

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-tyre.jpg

Front Brake Pads (This is the second set and 30K Kms done now).

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-bp1.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-bp2.jpg

I got the Emission test done. I got it for 1 year validity this time.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-emission.jpg

While we stopped for lunch somewhere near Madurai

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20220114_143735.jpg

This was at A2B Thoppur.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20220114_180345.jpg

Fastag with Negative balance:

During this drive, the Fastag balance dipped to negative for the first time. I was planning to recharge after reaching Salem but forgot. When I crossed the Krishnagiri toll, the balance was 25/- but it still allowed me to cross (toll at Krishnagiri is 75/-). I realized this while I was waiting at the Attibele toll. I immediately recharged it via Google Pay and received the message instantly. But the display board showed my tag as blacklisted. However when I said that I have enough balance, they let me go. Probably there was a slight delay in their system getting updated with my recharge amount. I didn’t face any issues at NICE toll though.

Current ODO @ 80,880 Kms

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-odo.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (44) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 08:51   #289
BHPian

Re: 80K Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
80K Kms Update:

ODO crossed the 80K mark during a drive to home town and back.

During this drive, I noticed a very mild vibration while crossing the 120Kmph mark and so decided to get the Wheel Alignment and Balancing done. Its around 7K Kms since I got it done last.

As usual I went to Madhus for Wheel Alignment/Balancing. There was a slight change in the alignment reading and this was corrected. Some weights were added to the wheels as well. Along with this, the tyre rotation was done too. The bill came to 2K.

Attachment 2272254

Tyres after 30K Kms (Yokohama Earth1). I think I can stretch this for another 15-20K Kms

Attachment 2272256

Front Brake Pads (This is the second set and 30K Kms done now).

Current ODO @ 80,880 Kms

Attachment 2272255
Your car seems to be in a very good condition considering the KMS it has run. Awesome job in maintaining it the way it is.

What are the expenses you have occurred in terms of maintenance/services/oil changes ? Anything you extra you have had to spend on ? Any unexpected expenses ?

Does jeep come with a maintenance package that covers all this ?
drjaygoyal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 19:03   #290
BHPian

Congratulations @arunjosie on reaching the 80k milestone. The way you have been updating the ownership thread super is helpful for fellow Compass owners like me and continues to be an amazing read as well.
Wishing you many more happy and safe miles.

Last edited by Baddychat : 15th February 2022 at 19:05. Reason: Typo
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 19:19   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
Your car seems to be in a very good condition considering the KMS it has run. Awesome job in maintaining it the way it is.

What are the expenses you have occurred in terms of maintenance/services/oil changes ? Anything you extra you have had to spend on ? Any unexpected expenses ?

Does jeep come with a maintenance package that covers all this ?
There is no maintenance package.

Here are the parts replacement so far,

1. Tyres were replaced at 51,180 Kms
2. Front brake pads were replaced @ 51205 Kms
3. Front wipers were replaced @ 68853 Kms

And the complete service details,

Name:  SH.JPG
Views: 1489
Size:  123.2 KB
arun_josie is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 20:31   #292
BHPian

Quote:
There is no maintenance package.

Here are the parts replacement so far,

1. Tyres were replaced at 51,180 Kms
2. Front brake pads were replaced @ 51205 Kms
3. Front wipers were replaced @ 68853 Kms

And the complete service details,

Attachment 2273025
Maintenance cost seems to be reasonable all things considered, those tyres in your alignment post don't even look 50% consumed to me, they should easily last much more than what you are expecting.

Coming to the maintainance 2 things in particular are bugging me why such frequent brake fluid change? I'am sure it won't be mentioned in the manual, are the service guys forcing this on you?
Also timing chain replacement at 75k kms? This is a lifetime part as far as I know unless you get any warning signs suggesting otherwise, what's the reason you changed that?

Last edited by Rocketscience : 15th February 2022 at 20:33.
Rocketscience is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 21:44   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Maintenance cost seems to be reasonable all things considered, those tyres in your alignment post don't even look 50% consumed to me, they should easily last much more than what you are expecting.
Yes, but I don't want to keep the expectations high.

Quote:
Coming to the maintainance 2 things in particular are bugging me why such frequent brake fluid change? I'am sure it won't be mentioned in the manual, are the service guys forcing this on you?
Also timing chain replacement at 75k kms? This is a lifetime part as far as I know unless you get any warning signs suggesting otherwise, what's the reason you changed that?
Brake fluid replacement schedule is every 30K Kms (this was replaced during the brake pad replacement as well). Timing belt replacement is every 75K Kms. But yes some manufacturers have not included the timing belt/chain replacement in the regular service schedule, its more of replacing based on any symptoms.

Here is the complete service schedule for Jeep Compass,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-ms1.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 11:13   #294
BHPian

Thank you for the clarification and this comprehensive list of items, I see it is indeed a timing belt according to this list and not a chain like you had mentioned in your post which confused me, timing belt replacement interval seems to be about right, my Cruze had an interval of 60k KMs for the same.
Still can't get over many items which seem excessive to me which include regular brake fluid replacements which is a first time I'am seeing it this frequent.
These seem to be at par with my motorcycle for 2 year replacement interval for this component. Anyways shouldn't be much of an concern since they are not that expensive anyways.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 17th February 2022 at 11:14.
Rocketscience is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 11:52   #295
Senior - BHPian

Wow! You've raced to 80K already.

Guess you do Nagercoil commutes on a regular basis, that I can't keep up with I brought the S-Cross 3 months before your Compass and currently at 69K.

Quote:
During this drive, the Fastag balance dipped to negative for the first time.
It does take about an hour to reflect. If you are recharging on the drive, it doesn't reflect by the following booth, but is ok by the second one. On an average the distance is 50 km which we tend to dismiss in 30-45 minutes.

Isn't 1600 odd for WA/WB a bit steep. I get it done for 900, and 1100 including rotation.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 20:57   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification and this comprehensive list of items, I see it is indeed a timing belt according to this list and not a chain like you had mentioned in your post which confused me, timing belt replacement interval seems to be about right, my Cruze had an interval of 60k KMs for the same.
Oh yes, I didn't realize that. I will correct it in my excel sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Wow! You've raced to 80K already.

Guess you do Nagercoil commutes on a regular basis, that I can't keep up with I brought the S-Cross 3 months before your Compass and currently at 69K.
Yes, during the last 3 months, I had done multiple trips to home town. But there was a gap of 4-5 months before that.

69K is good too considering the lockdown restrictions.

Quote:
It does take about an hour to reflect. If you are recharging on the drive, it doesn't reflect by the following booth, but is ok by the second one. On an average the distance is 50 km which we tend to dismiss in 30-45 minutes.
Ok. This is the first time I recharged while in the queue.

Quote:
Isn't 1600 odd for WA/WB a bit steep. I get it done for 900, and 1100 including rotation.
I have never done WA/WB in any other outlets. At Jeep service center they charge around 2K though.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:25   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Issue with AC; Fixed at PPS Motors

Issue with AC; Fixed at PPS Motors

During a recent drive from Hyderabad to Bangalore, I faced an issue with the AC. I stopped for lunch at Ananthapur for around 30 minutes. After lunch, when I started the car the ODO (just the KM reading) started blinking and when I turned on the AC, it wouldn't start. There was a message on the display saying "Climate Off". I tried restarting the engine once but it made no difference.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20220216_141507.jpg

So, I started to move on with the windows rolled down a bit. I observed that everything else was working fine, and no issues with the Jeep’s performance either. After some distance, I called the service center and reported the issue. They speculated that it could be a sensor issue. They asked me to stop for 10 minutes at a safe location and try to restart the engine again. So, I stopped, turned off the ignition and then restarted the engine after 15 minutes but the issue persisted. So, I continued my journey without the AC.

This is probably for the first time I was driving without AC on the highway and it is a horrible experience. The wind noise is very loud and the hot air blasting through burns your eyes. After I reached home, I tried turning the AC on the next day but it still didn’t turn on.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20220217_174435.jpg

I visited the service center (PPS Motors) to get this issue fixed. They first connected the diagnostic tool and scanned for errors. The error captured was "Lost communication with HVAC control module". Due to some power supply issue, the system had disabled the HVAC control module.

When they checked for power supply in the fuse box located in engine compartment, all was good. Then they checked the fuse box located below the glove box that looked fine too. At this point the doubt was on the control unit. So, they tried testing with another control unit, but the issue was still the same and this confirmed that issue was not with the control unit. They went back to the fuse box and started checking each pin. While testing the pins, at one point the AC started working and the ODO stopped blinking as well. They concluded that the issue could’ve been caused by a loose connection in the fuse box. They made sure all the pins were fixed properly in both the fuse box. Its 3 days now and the issue has not recurred. I hope it stays that way.

I would like to appreciate the service engineers in PPS for attending to the issue even though I went late in the day. They showed commitment to resolve the issue by staying beyond their working hours.

A short drive to a rocky terrain, thanks to bhpian abirnale who had shared some pics from this place. Its around 20Kms from my place and a remote location with no people around.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20220220_164748.jpg

This was during my return from Hyderabad

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20220216_150105.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 21st February 2022 at 18:42.
arun_josie is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 09:00   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Still can't get over many items which seem excessive to me which include regular brake fluid replacements which is a first time I'am seeing it this frequent.
These seem to be at par with my motorcycle for 2 year replacement interval for this component. Anyways shouldn't be much of an concern since they are not that expensive anyways.
Jeep being a US brand would have recommendations based on research done in US weather which has much higher fluctuations in temperatures that require more frequent brake fluid changes. I think they may have kept the same recommendations in India which would explain the long list of maintenance and replacements.
PowerSpike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 19:01   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Drive to Kasaragod

Recently I had to visit Kasaragod and return the same day. I took the Hassan route till Uppinangady. We faced issues due to Fog on the Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch. At times, it was a crawl as stopping on the side also seemed dangerous. Also, the road condition on the Hassan - Sakleshpur is very mixed, it varies from excellent condition to worst. While on these good stretches, one needs to be cautious because it ends and the bad section starts abruptly .

The ghat section before the cement road section is in very bad shape as well. We also got stuck in a 30-min jam due to few trucks breaking down on the bad stretches.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-t1.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-t2.jpg

Another challenge was these people on pilgrimage who were walking on the left side with no reflectors on themselves. The fog made it very tricky to spot them. I made sure I wasn't on the left most part of the road.

Return drive was via Sullia, Madikeri, Kushalnagar, Channarayapattana. This route was better but lot of speed breakers especially on the Kushalnagar - Channarayapattana stretch.

Here is the trip details, the FE was 15.7Kmpl despite lot of idling.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20220225_235156.jpg

A breakfast drive after ages. This drive was with friends from Jeep group to Sai Sangeet near thoppur. They were on the way to Kolli hills and I joined them till the breakfast point.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-img20220305wa0052.jpg

This was during a short drive on the roads around bannerghatta park.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20220227_164205.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 13:04   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

3 years ownership update, ODO @ 84,711 Kms

3 years ownership update, ODO @ 84,711 Kms

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-7.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-odo.png

It’s been three years of ownership now and has been a fantastic journey so far. The eagerness to go on a drive is still the same as it was on day 1 of ownership and it never wanes. It has been an excellent highway cruiser and a great handler of bad roads as well. I covered 42K Km during the first year of the ownership however pandemic put the brakes on the mile-munching later. So, it took two years to cover the next 42K Kms.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-annual-usage.png

Maintenance Cost and Service History:

The maintenance cost has been decent so far. For servicing, it has costed me little over 1Rs per Km. Apart from this, I have replaced the tyres and battery. Here is the service history,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-service.png

Parts Replacements:
  1. Tyres were replaced @ 51K Kms (Replaced it with Yokohama Earth1)
  2. Front brake pads were replaced @ 51K Kms
  3. Wipers were replaced at 69K Kms (the OEMs are very expensive (closed to 5K), so replaced with Bosch wipers which costed around 900/-). These Bosch wipers are flimsy but does its job.
  4. Battery @ 63K Kms (it came with Exide and I replaced it with Amaron). Many owners had to replace the battery around 18months-24 month time frame.
  5. Timing belt was a periodic replacement at 75K Kms
Issues so far:

1. The only issue that concerned be a bit was with the AC. As mentioned in post #297, the AC stopped working during a highway drive. When I took to service center, they first connected the diagnostic tool and scanned for errors. The error captured was "Lost communication with HVAC control module". Due to some power supply issue, the system had disabled the HVAC control module. This issue was fixed and concluded that this could’ve been caused by a loose connection in the fuse. Refer to the below post for more details, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post5263060

2. Apart from this, I faced issues with the jammed wheel lug nuts. Its a known issue with these cap type lug nuts that if the cap gets misaligned, then it becomes difficult to remove it. I recently had to replace 3 of them which had this issue. I think for the facelift Compass, they have moved to the normal ones.

3. Intermittent rattling issue on the driver side door and a noise from the dashboard keeps coming once in a while.

Servicing Experience:

So far, all servicing has been done at PPS Motors and the experience has been good so far. They went above and beyond to rectify the AC issue. I went there towards the end of the day; but they made sure to fix it even though they had to stay after their working hours. Overall, I am happy with their servicing.

Liqui moly diesel additive:

I started using this additive since 76,000 Kms on the ODO, using one bottle every 2K Kms. I am in the 5th bottle now and done around 9K Kms. Initially I couldn’t notice any difference but after the 4th bottle, I started seeing some differences. The engine clatter that comes at lower RPMs in 3rd – 4th gear has softened and the engine too feels smoother. Also, I see an increase in FE but not sure if its this additive or something else. When I started using this the average FE till then (76,000 Kms) was 13.96 Kmpl. Now at 84,500 Kms the average FE is at 14.06 Kmpl. Apart from this, it also acts as an injector cleaner as well. Hoping this help with the maintenance of Scarlett.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-liqui.png

ODO Share

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-odo-share.png

Number of days taken to reach every 5000 Kms.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-e5kmd.png

Here is the FE graph, numbers are from Full tank – Full tank refills.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-fe_ftmid.png

Below graph is based on the overall average FE number calculated after every refill. Currently this average stands at 14.06 Kmpl

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-overall-fe-avg.png

Some numbers on Max/Min FE, fuel refills etc

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-fuel-details.png

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-1a.png

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-2a.png

During a recent drive

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-4a.png

That’s it for now. I’m looking forward to many more happy miles with this wonderful machine.

Last edited by arun_josie : 4th April 2022 at 13:14.
arun_josie is online now   (80) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks