Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 20:45   #121
BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!

Very beautifull pictures and very informative data shared . Wonder how you manage to note each and every detail of even fuel filled. From the above data as well as my own experience I can say that Compass is probably among very few cars that show very accurate fuel efficiency numbers on m.i.d. Otherwise I have seen most cars show inflated numbers on m.i.d as compared to actual efficiency calculated by tankful method.

Wishing you more blissfull miles Arun.

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 4th April 2020 at 20:47.
Sandeep500 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 08:40   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Wow! More than 42,000km in 1 year is just amazing. Congratulations and keep it up!

And what an amazing thread too. This thread is one of my all-time favorite threads, and your Scarlett is one of my favorite cars. And you have done great justice to this beautiful car through your highway drives and your brilliant photography. This thread is full of beautiful pictures, and the pictures here make me want to own a Red Compass just so that I could also go to such beautiful locales and hope to take such photos! Thank you for such a wonderful thread and keeping it updated throughout the year.
Thanks a lot for your very kind words.

I should thank my wife and friends too for clicking some of the good ones.

Quote:

By the way, in the year of ownership, how often did you use 4x4? Was it ever really required? What would you be your "long term" experience about 4x4 on Compass?
I have taken it on few beaches on the Kanyakumari coastline twice where I tested the sand mode. Apart from this, I have not taken my car to any 4x4 terrain.

I have plans for a drive to North East, Sandakphu, Spiti, Leh Ladakh etc. So, I am sure 4x4 will be handy during these drives. I opted for 4x4 because, after spending so much, I didn't want to miss out on the 4x4 fun

Quote:
Wish you many more thousands of happy miles on Scarlett, and looking forward to more such amazing pictures in this thread!
Thanks again for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Very beautifull pictures and very informative data shared . Wonder how you manage to note each and every detail of even fuel filled. From the above data as well as my own experience I can say that Compass is probably among very few cars that show very accurate fuel efficiency numbers on m.i.d. Otherwise I have seen most cars show inflated numbers on m.i.d as compared to actual efficiency calculated by tankful method.

Wishing you more blissfull miles Arun.
Thanks a lot, Sandeep500.

I am used to noting down such details. I am a data junkie.

Yes, the MID figures are very accurate.
arun_josie is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 10:39   #123
BHPian

42k KMs in one year and that too with 64percent on highways..!!

You are living the dream that I want to live with my Jeep.

If you don't mind it sharing here, what do you do for a living man? How do you spend so much time on road? Kids, wife all ok with it?

I just keep on dreaming about super long drives but then the leaves from work is 1 constraint, my 3 year old getting bored in car on long drives is another.
ank.nsit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 11:44   #124
Senior - BHPian

42K in 1 year that too for some one in software industry is awesome! How are tires holding? Post lockdown would love to tag along with you and satya for roadtrip!
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 14:21   #125
sgm
BHPian

This is just brilliant stuff Arun and Scarlett still looks smashing just like in your buying thread.
42k KM in 1 year is just crazy, I guess you are doing lots and lots of highway drives. Your eye for details is amazing, just look at the data that you have generated. I remember reading your posts when Scarlett was brought home, today I went through them once again. Lots of details, crisp reviews and beautiful pictures to complement them. I feel ashamed when I see my usage patterns of the cars at home but I think you are real driving enthusiast and one of the extreme cases I met a friend in my office who owns a Compass and he covers like 30K in an year and I was quite surprised with such high usage pattern for a private car. Now I see that you have raised that bar to another level. Looking forward to more updates
sgm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 15:42   #126
BHPian

Hello Arun,

Congratulations, 42,000 KM in 1 year is just insane! But I must say that you are making use of Jeep Compass in a great way. Some beautiful pictures as well. I remember your last ride ( Fiat Linea ) doing somewhere close to 2 Lakh KM in 5 years? Keep munching miles

NOTE: I still remember meeting you in a car washing outlet in Arekere, Bannerghatta Road ( Crystal Detailers ) and we had a chat about your usage pattern with Linea. This was the time when you were planning for an upgrade. Do you still live in the same area? If yes, we might cross our paths again

Cheers,
Raghav
RAHS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 21:02   #127
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arun,

Over 40K kilometers in a single year is a huge feat!

Great pictures and a informative ownership review. Wish you many more happy miles with the Scarlet!
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 22:28   #128
Team-BHP Support

I'm disappointed Arun! Was expecting 50k kms as I mentioned earlier! And I'm pretty sure you would have closed in, if not for the lockdown due to Corona.

Reading your report - I so do wish I had picked up a red Compass Sport (only variant in my budget) back when it was launched - but then, I wouldn't have been able to stretch my budget so much and do it justice!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th April 2020 at 01:13. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:43   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
You are living the dream that I want to live with my Jeep.

If you don't mind it sharing here, what do you do for a living man? How do you spend so much time on road? Kids, wife all ok with it?
Thanks, ank.nsit.

I am only a regular IT guy. . Most of my drives are with family and thankfully they don't have any complaints. Infact, as a family, we have driven two 2-weeks long North India trips(Uttrakhand and Himachal) in my previous car Linea. My younger one was just 2+ years old then. so, we are used to being on the road as a family. And, many breakfast and dinner drives with equally car-crazy friends. Touch wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
42K in 1 year that too for some one in software industry is awesome! How are tires holding? Post lockdown would love to tag along with you and satya for roadtrip!
Thanks, PrideRed.

Tires are hard and noisy now, needs a change soon. I don't see more than 5K Kms of life in it, lets see. I would like to get the Michelin but it is just too expensive.

Sure, we can go on a drive together. I'm always up for a drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
This is just brilliant stuff Arun and Scarlett still looks smashing just like in your buying thread.
Thanks a lot, sgm. I love driving and Scarlett is a perfect companion for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
NOTE: I still remember meeting you in a car washing outlet in Arekere, Bannerghatta Road ( Crystal Detailers ) and we had a chat about your usage pattern with Linea. This was the time when you were planning for an upgrade. Do you still live in the same area? If yes, we might cross our paths again

Cheers,
Raghav
Thanks a lot, Raghav

Yes, I remember talking to you. Sure, we can meetup some time. I am still around this area only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Hi Arun,

Over 40K kilometers in a single year is a huge feat!

Great pictures and a informative ownership review. Wish you many more happy miles with the Scarlet!
Thanks a lot, 07CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm disappointed Arun! Was expecting 50k kms as I mentioned earlier! And I'm pretty sure you would have closed in, if not for the lockdown due to Corona.
Yes, the lockdown has slowed down the momentum. But 50K was never on cards though.

Quote:
Reading your report - I so do wish I had picked up a red Compass Sport (only variant in my budget) back when it was launched - but then, I wouldn't have been able to stretch my budget so much and do it justice!
It was a stretch for me too, at the end of it the heart won over the head
arun_josie is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 21:08   #130
BHPian

Re: Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 1 year & 42,186 kms up!

Thank you for this incredibly detailed report. Scarlet should now officially be in the long term section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
As per them, 4.2L is sufficient, but there were multiple complaints from customers that the oil level is shown less despite filling with 4.2L. This made some dealers to fill with 4.5L.
It is a common misunderstanding that having more oil helps. I also had the same notion. Now I understand it is safer to have oil levels closer to the min level than trying to keep it match the max. If, by mistake, it gets overfilled, there would be more damage.
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 20:34   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 1 year & 42,186 kms up!

Quote:
I got the top-up done at PPS motors with the same grade oil. Also, FCA confirmed that 4.2L is not going to harm any components. As per them, 4.2L is sufficient, but there were multiple complaints from customers that the oil level is shown less despite filling with 4.2L. This made some dealers to fill with 4.5L.

Whatever the reason maybe, there should be some standard number instead of dealers taking their own call. Hope they update all the service centers this time around.
I got some time to go through the owners manual and came across the below information regarding the Engine oil capacity, it says 4.2L during replacement of Engine Oil + Oil Filter.

Strangely this information is not mentioned in the Service manual which I checked earlier. So, looks like PPS Motors are correct in what they are doing.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-engine-oil-level.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 16:01   #132
BHPian

Quote:
I got some time to go through the owners manual and came across the below information regarding the Engine oil capacity, it says 4.2L during replacement of Engine Oil + Oil Filter.

Strangely this information is not mentioned in the Service manual which I checked earlier. So, looks like PPS Motors are correct in what they are doing.

Attachment 1994476
I think only PPS motors are wrong, other dealers are right as they are going by practical approach instead of blindly following the book.

As you stated that FCA people told you that they have issued a circular to all its dealers about filling 4.5 to4.8 liters of oil, they have indirectly admitted there mistake . It is clear now that it is a case of misprinting or error on their part about 4.2 liters in manual. If that is correct then what is the use for providing dipstick. How can It be that 4.2 lit. is also correct and 4.5 to4.8 liters is also correct.

In the earlier discussions and posts I had stated that it must be 4.2 liters for petrol engine and 4.5 for Diesel engine compass as Tata Harrier and MG HECTOR having same engine are filling 4.8 or 5 liter oil.Take any other 2 liter Diesel engine and see the amount of engine oil it needs and we can get to know that 4.2 liter of oil is too less a quantity.
Old 24th May 2020, 21:02   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

An update after long time.

An update after long time.

The lock-down period was going on smoothly with just idling the car for few minutes every 2-3 days and occasional visits to near by grocery shops. This hardly added some 10 Kms on the ODO.

Emergency Drive to Chennai:

During the end of April, I had to travel to Chennai as my dad underwent a surgery. It took 3-4 visits to the ADGP office to get the KA pass(no online option available then) and then waited at Hosur check-post for 3 hours as I didn't have the TN pass. Later they allowed me to go after reviewing the documents. Also, I had applied the E-pass while waiting here and got approved that day evening.

While waiting at the checkpost, Hosur

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-p7.jpg

I was in Chennai for two weeks and during this period my dad was discharged. By then, KA had blocked the incoming traffic from TN. I had some work in hometown that needed to be done. Since I can't enter KA and inter-district travel was easier to make, I decided to travel to Nagercoil and then travel back to Bangalore, if and when KA relaxes the KA-TN borders. Also, I thought it would be easy to travel from Kanyakumari(less Covid-19 counts here) to Bangalore than Chennai (Red zone) to Bangalore.

Drive to Nagercoil:

It was a smooth drive till Madurai. Post that, there were multiple checks and at Kanyakumari district entry point(Aralvaimozhi), they asked me to undergo COVID-19 test + institutional quarantine till the results arrived. This is mandatory for people coming from Chennai which is a red zone and other states.

Sample for COVID-19 test was collected at a college in Aralvaimozhi and later a team of police took us to a lodge in Kanyakumari. It was a convoy of 15 cars. Some of the hotels that police have taken over for this purpose are Vivekananda kendra hotel(For people coming from MH), Hotel Bharani, Hotel Sridevi etc. Accommodation is free and food is available on payment.

They released me as soon as the test result came as negative. I was there for about 24 hours.

While waiting at the sample collection center

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-p2.jpg

A Convoy led by police :-).

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-p4.jpg

Quarantine Center at Kanyakumari, its a lodge taken over by police

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-p1.jpg

This facility was good,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-p8.jpg

Since then 10 days has passed and I finished the work I came here for. I am still waiting for some relaxation from the KA govt to allow entry from TN. Current option is 7 days institutional quarantine + 7 days home quarantine. I am trying to avoid this institutional quarantine.

ODO Crosses 43K

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-p5.jpg

45K Service pending (I was supposed to do this around 43,500 Kms):

I have crossed the 15K Kms service duration. However since the service centers were closed, they had given a extension of 1500 Kms(Valid till May 31st). Now the service centers are open but I am stuck in Nagercoil. By the time I reach Bangalore, the odo will be little below this 1500Kms limit. I am trying to see if this service can be availed in June without any damages to the Standard/Extended warranty.

Along with this, a complete interior cleaning + WA WB is pending as well.

Mean while during this drive in TN, multiple times the car was sprayed with some anti-virus liquid. Especially at least 5-6 times at the quarantine center. Not sure if these are helpful in disinfecting but after reaching home, I gave Scarlett a much-needed water wash.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-p3.jpg

Current ODO is at 43,743 Kms

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-p6.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 22:13   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

That is some experience of traveling during the lockdown. I don't think the 1500 km mark extension should hurt the standard and the extended warranty. Do keep an eye on the engine oil level and check the viscosity. The return trip should not be a problem.

These are extra-ordinary conditions for FCA to be impacting the standard and extended warranty.

Stay safe and drive back safe.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 17:52   #135
Team-BHP Support

Re: An update after long time.

Quote:
Post that, there were multiple checks and at Kanyakumari district entry point(Aralvaimozhi), they asked me to undergo COVID-19 test + institutional quarantine till the results arrived.
Was this on the highway itself?

Any idea if they are allowing cars to pass through to Trivandrum border with the KL pass and TN transit pass?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks