Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2019, 19:44   #61
Senior - BHPian

Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 25,000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
[center][b]Happy Diwali to Everyone!

Nice ownership log Arun, rated 5*, the manual diesel is sure a hoot to drive. Also 18 km/l is fantastic mileage for a spirited drive.

The Compass does look great in red and you hit a sweet spot on the price.

I have also been getting a mild rattle on the front passenger door( rough road). Need to have it checked.

Happy Deepawali to you and all the BHPians.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1572185164.546107.jpg

And a happy Deepawali from my Compass to yours.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1572185285.618739.jpg

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 27th October 2019 at 19:48.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 21:28   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 1 year & 42,186 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Great review Arun. Your attention to detail is comparable to an official review.
Thanks for your appreciation, Hayek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Get amazed at how much folks like you drive. Your car is over 2 years younger than mine, and has munched more miles. Also get amazed at the fuel efficiency levels you achieve - have never come close to 18 kmpl on any car in India. Presume the petrol automatic was not in your consideration set given how much you drive.
I love driving so I never miss an opportunity to drive.

Yes, I didn't look at petrol. With an average use of 3K per month in Linea, it didn't make much sense to look at petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Nice ownership log Arun, rated 5*, the manual diesel is sure a hoot to drive. Also 18 km/l is fantastic mileage for a spirited drive.
Thank you mate. Yes, for a 2L/173bhp monster, 18+ Kmpl was a surprise. But it can dive down in no time too :-)

Quote:
I have also been getting a mild rattle on the front passenger door( rough road). Need to have it checked.
This seems to be a known issue.

Quote:
Happy Deepawali to you and all the BHPians.

And a happy Deepawali from my Compass to yours.
Thank you.

Scarlett says Hi to the Hawk. Looking forward to your ownership review.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 17:51   #63
Team-BHP Support

Re: ODO @ 25,000 Kms

Quote:
ODO @ 25,000 Kms.

Attachment 1922691
You covered 25K kilometers in 3 months?
Old 30th October 2019, 08:06   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ODO @ 25,000 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
You covered 25K kilometers in 3 months?
Not at all . It took 6 months plus .
arun_josie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 13:11   #65
KPR
BANNED

re: Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 1 year & 42,186 kms up!

Many congratulations on your exotica red compass. Excellent review and keep pouring in your experience for us to relish. I've been an ardent fan of your review and travelogues with your unexpected ex-love. I will continue to enjoy pan India travels through your red Scarlett now.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 13:33   #66
BHPian

Congratulations Arun on your stunning red ride.
Extremely well written review and wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this journey. Duly rated the thread 5*s.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 20:43   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

A drive to Mysore and Mangalore

A drive to Mysore and Mangalore:

Initial plan was a drive to Mysore to visit our family there. But since it was a 3 day weekend, we decided to make a trip to Mangalore as well. This trip was all about drive and food
  1. Some nice Andhra style biriyani from hotel RRR, Mysore
  2. Pathal and Ayala curry @ Madikeri
  3. Ice Cream @ Pabbas, Mangalore
  4. Fish curry meals @ Machali, Mangalore
  5. Neer dosa, Chicken ghee roast and Seer fish fry@ Shetty lunch home, Mangalore
Onward journey was via Mysore, Madikeri. It had some nice twisty sections. Mysore to Mangalore took 5 hours with a breakfast stop at Madikeri. Traffic was minimal.

Return route was via Charmadi. There were few bad patches and speed breakers along this route. The ghat section has some steep harpin bends and at places it was very narrow. Thankfully no bus and truck traffic in the ghat section as they are not allowed in this route. The roads on either side of Belur and till Hassan were super good.

Since the return was on Sunday and end of a 3 day weekend, I was expecting huge crowds at tolls. But thankfully there wasn’t much crowd at the tolls. However there was a mad rush at Neelamangala toll which was extending till the Junction where the Hassan road joins. So, I continued in the service lane till NICE road entry.

Overall, it took 7 hours and 15 minutes till NICE road entry. This includes a 45 minutes stop for lunch.

Route Map

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-map.jpg

Trip details, Overall FE of 15.1

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-trip-details.jpg

On the beach side

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Many congratulations on your exotica red compass. Excellent review and keep pouring in your experience for us to relish. I've been an ardent fan of your review and travelogues with your unexpected ex-love. I will continue to enjoy pan India travels through your red Scarlett now.
Thanks a lot, KPR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Congratulations Arun on your stunning red ride.
Extremely well written review and wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this journey. Duly rated the thread 5*s.
Thank you, Baddychat.

Last edited by arun_josie : 5th November 2019 at 20:53.
arun_josie is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:18   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

30,000 Kms Service update and a drive to Mumbai - Bhandardara

30,000 Kms Service update (Done at PPS Motors, Electronic City):

Service schedule indicator, service due in either 222 Kms or 222 days, whichever comes first

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-1.jpg

Took the car to PPS motors for this service. No major complaints except the reverse gear being little hard at times and a rattling noise from the right side door. Both these issues are intermittent and didn’t happen during the test drive. For the rattling noise, we tried going on some rough roads but in vain. In fact this issue didn’t come up for the next 2-3 days and then started showing up again.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-2.jpg

Here are the scheduled replacements for this service,
  1. Air filter
  2. AC filter
  3. Oil filter
  4. Engine Oil – 4.2L
  5. Fuel filter
  6. Brake/Clutch fluid
Other Works:
  1. Wheel alignment / Wheel Balancing
  2. Clutch bleeding (For the reverse gear complaint)
  3. Battery health check
Some pics,

Brake pads looks good for another 15K-20K Kms

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-3.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-4.jpg

Air Filter

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-5.jpg

Clutch / Brake fluid were replaced too (this is every 30K Kms)

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-6.jpg

Battery health is good

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-7.jpg

Billing:

Something that I didn’t budget here was the 30K Kms service charges. I was always thinking that the first 3 services are free. But for the vehicles sold post 1st August 2018, there are only two free services. (@ 5K Kms and 15K Kms). So, the 30K service is not free and this amount is 3760 /- (Including tax it comes to 4436 /-).

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-7a.jpg

Here is the overall amount,

All part replacements + Misc: 9275/-
Wheel Alignment/Balancing: 1992 /-
30K Service charge: 4436 /-

Total Bill: 15703 /-

Wheel Alignment:

Based on the complaints regarding Wheel Alignment by multiple customers, they have replaced the equipment now and also the flooring has been redone. This time, I didn't see any steering tilt issues.

Overall the service was done in less the 3 hours and I didn’t have any complaints post service. They have improved a lot compared to my experience during the second service.

Service History:
  1. 5K Service: 0.00 /-
  2. 15K Service: 9307 /-
  3. 30K Service: 15703 /-
Total Service cost so far : 25010 /-

Next scheduled service is at 45000 Kms. Since I have done the previous services little earlier, I will have to get this done around 43500 Km/-

Minor incident while parking:

I was little careless while parking and rubbed the car against a pillar. Luckily most of the impact was over the PPF. I got this removed @Krithi Car Care. Here is a before and after pic

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-8.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-9.jpg

Mumbai - Bhandardara drive:

Post service, I drove to Mumbai to participate in an event conducted by the HVK forum. From Mumbai it was a drive towards Bhandardara dam and remote locations around this area. We drove through some scenic locations, nice twisty sections, bad roads and no roads etc. Overall, it was a nice drive.

Few clicks during this drive, thanks to speedsatya

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-11a.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-12.jpg

Along with the mighty Endeavour

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-13.jpg

During a stop near Dharwad for lunch

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-14.jpg

Overall trip details:

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-10.jpg

Crack on the Windscreen:

After the return from Mumbai, next day morning I noticed this crack on the Windscreen. I didn’t see this at least till Davanagere. And I didn’t feel any major impact as well. I will get this checked now in PPS.

The crack starts here and goes above the wiper area

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-16.jpeg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-15.jpg

A random click during a morning drive

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-img_20191123_065351179_hdr.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:27   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 30,000 Kms Service update and a drive to Mumbai - Bhandardara

Quote:
30,000 Kms Service update (Done at PPS Motors, Electronic City):

Service schedule indicator, service due in either 222 Kms or 222 days, whichever comes first
Just ridiculous . Now wait for 222 days for servicing it.

Quote:
Crack on the Windscreen:

After the return from Mumbai, next day morning I noticed this crack on the Windscreen. I didn’t see this at least till Davanagere. And I didn’t feel any major impact as well. I will get this checked now in PPS.

The crack starts here and goes above the wiper area
This is near the glue area where the windshield sits. Observe it for a few days if the crack increases in length. If it doesn't, don't bother meddling around with it.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:33   #70
BHPian

Hi Arun, nice to see you enjoying your ride to the fullest by munching miles at great pace. Now as we discussed earlier did you check oil level on dipstick after filling 4.2 liters. Also it is strange that jeep has discontinued third free service .
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 08:55   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
This is near the glue area where the windshield sits. Observe it for a few days if the crack increases in length. If it doesn't, don't bother meddling around with it.
Sure .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Hi Arun, nice to see you enjoying your ride to the fullest by munching miles at great pace. Now as we discussed earlier did you check oil level on dipstick after filling 4.2 liters. Also it is strange that jeep has discontinued third free service .
Thanks Sandeep.

Regarding the oil level, PPS Motors is very clear that it has to be 4.2L and they have not received any communication from FCA to make it 4.5L or 4.8L. After the service, I did check the level once and it looked fine to me. I will check the level again and post a pic here.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:16   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sandeep.

Regarding the oil level, PPS Motors is very clear that it has to be 4.2L and they have not received any communication from FCA to make it 4.5L or 4.8L. After the service, I did check the level once and it looked fine to me. I will check the level again and post a pic here.
Check the oil level after the engine is cooled down. Best way is to check it first thing in the morning. Ensure the car is parked on a level surface.

By the way, why is there such a big difference in quantity of the oil, 4.2 to 4.8 is quite a big variance.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 17:05   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check the oil level after the engine is cooled down. Best way is to check it first thing in the morning. Ensure the car is parked on a level surface.
Actually it doesn't show the right oil level under cold condition. It should be 5 minutes after a fully warmed up engine is shut off. Here is the instruction,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-oil-level2.jpg

Quote:
By the way, why is there such a big difference in quantity of the oil, 4.2 to 4.8 is quite a big variance.
No idea. Some service centers are sticking to 4.5L and some 4.8L.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 17:10   #74
BHPian

Thanks Arun, for your reply. From your reply I can make out may be some dealers are overcharging or may be they are ignorant .By the conversation I had with the service advisor I am sure he didn't knew the correct method to check oil level as per manual. To be honest I also checked with them about oil to filled only after I read your post and after that read the manual. We all mostly assume that authorized service centers strictly go as per manual.

Quote:

That is exactly the point to be discussed . As I have written earlier there may be printing error in manual as for petrol engine J.C it specifies 5 liters , that is for 1400 cc cubic capacity and for diesel it recommends 4.2 which is a much bigger in cubic capacity.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here. (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2019 at 17:25. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 8th December 2019, 22:35   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Here is a pic of the oil level. This was 5 minutes after turning off the engine.(warmed up engine)

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-img_20191203_225731759.jpg

Meanwhile the crack on the front windshield has started expanding. This was after parking the car under sunlight, probably I should have lowered the windows a little. Now I have no other option but to get this replaced.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-img_20191207_114858426.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed