Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 13:02   #166
BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!

Hi Arun just a quick confirmation is the Bi-Xenon Head base a 9005/HB3?

Friends Compass had one of its Xenon burn out due to water/moister "Both headlights used to fog up and dealership said its normal."
Old 28th August 2020, 10:32   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Hi Arun just a quick confirmation is the Bi-Xenon Head base a 9005/HB3?

Friends Compass had one of its Xenon burn out due to water/moister "Both headlights used to fog up and dealership said its normal."
When I had checked on this some time back, I was told that it comes with Philips D5S 12V 25W.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:58   #168
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arun,
Great update. Your car looks fabulous.

Just a couple of questions for a friend:
1. Isn't 15k too long to change the oil, especially for Indian conditions? My friend has just completed 10k in 12 months. Did your Linea have no trouble with the 15k oil change interval?
2. What are the recommended oil change intervals for the differentials?

Thanks
Wish you many trouble free miles to come.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:07   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Did your Linea have no trouble with the 15k
Ideally this should not cause any "trouble" at all. Soon after the advent of Fully Synthetic Oils and their much advertised longer than normal change intervals, most of the car manufacturers started leveraging this and came up with taglines associated with "15K Km long interval" service and nothing else.

I am responding because for my Ertiga, I have changed oil at adhoc intervals ranging between 10-14K many times after the warranty got expired. Incidentally, the current oil in my car has run 13K Km since the last change and I will change that on the weekend. Also, it will matter a lot on how and where the car is driven in these 15,000 Km. If you hit the highway regularly, the oil would continue to perform for really long intervals after that last change. However, if you are only driving in B2B traffic, you can be proactive and replace the oil every 10K.

They say after 1,50,000 Km, you replace oil at 7500 Km too but in my other car (WagonR), I still follow change interval of 10,000 Km only and during the last oil change, we inspected the spark plugs, the internals of the engine by opening the tappet cover and also the oil strainer and everything looked perfectly healthy.

The real "trouble" begins when you have totally forgotten to change oil beyond 20,000 Km and one day when you drain or check the oil pan (sump) and strainer, you realise how much sticky the oil is and the muck developed therein.

I am also a non-believer in "oil flush" as long as the driving is regular and your replacement intervals are not unusually longer because detergent based oils act as flush themselves.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd September 2020 at 10:09.
paragsachania is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 22:07   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi Arun,
Great update. Your car looks fabulous.

Just a couple of questions for a friend:
1. Isn't 15k too long to change the oil, especially for Indian conditions? My friend has just completed 10k in 12 months. Did your Linea have no trouble with the 15k oil change interval?
2. What are the recommended oil change intervals for the differentials?

Thanks
Wish you many trouble free miles to come.

Parag has detailed it clearly.

For Linea, it was Semi-Synthetic oil. So, I was changing it at around 8-10K Kms. For Compass I am sticking to 15K Kms as its fully Synthetic oil. In fact, for the 45K service I replaced the oil after 16K Kms due to the lock down situation. FCA had given a buffer of 1500 Kms beyond the actual service interval.

For other replacement intervals, you can refer to the below chart,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-ms1.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 23:14   #171
BHPian

Apologies for highjacking your thread. I was looking at all your fun little getaways and zeroed in on mandagiri hills to blow off some steam.

Left at about 2 PM and took the NICE road. Drive was pleasant but the traffic at Nelamangala was irritating. Drove around the foothill and found a nice peaceful spot by the lake. The drive back was uneventful with heavy rains and traffic snarls.

Overall, a nicely isolated picnic spot for relaxation. Nobody around but cattle herders. I tried my best to venture closer to the lake but the lack of 4wd and boggy ground held me back. I know where to look now for some cool future drives

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-p_20200902_165719.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-p_20200902_165004.jpg
createrkid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 13:58   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore - Chennai - Nagercoil - Bangalore Update And 50,000 Kms Update

Bangalore - Chennai - Nagercoil - Bangalore:

Another drive with my parents, this time to drop them back in my home town.

After being stuck in Chennai for 6 months, firstly due to a medical treatment and then due to the Covid situation, they got real tired of being in Chennai and were longing to get back to home base. So, once the inter-district movement was relaxed in TN, I decided to drop back home.

Initially we thought about flight travel, but didn't want to take any risk as both are senior citizens in high risk category.

Bangalore - Chennai:

I drove down from Bangalore to Chennai with a registered E-Pass and as expected,the E-Pass was verified at the TN border. For people who didn't take E-Pass, they were asked to register online before proceeding further.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-img_20200907_154309678.jpg

When I reached Krishnagiri, it rained for a few minutes just heavily enough to flood the roads in no time. I had to be very cautious while over taking any vehicles because of water getting splashed on the windscreen.

It was a non-stop drive and traffic was bad after Sriperumbudur till I reached my destination near Adyar.

Overall, it took 5 hours.

Chennai - Nagercoil:

Considering the current situation and with both my parents aged 70+, plan was to not stop anywhere. So, we started after breakfast (9:00 am). Initial 60Kms was slow as the traffic was on the heavier side till Chengalpattu. It was a breeze beyond that.

Our first stop was closer to Trichy (around 300Kms) for refueling (@ BPCL COCO, its along with a A2B). And the next stop was after crossing Trichy for lunch. We stopped on the road side to have the packed food.

This was during the lunch stop.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tls.jpg

After lunch, it was non-stop all the way to our home sweet home :-). Overall, it took 9 hours.

It rained heavily in Nagercoil and I got a free wash

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tls1.jpg

Nagercoil - Bangalore:

Started after breakfast @ 8am. The roads inside nagercoil town are in real bad shape with lot of digging going around. Nagercoil - Kavalkinaru stretch has been re-laid and is in very good condition. After Kavalkinaru, it is the routine 4L road. Stopped after Madurai for refueling (@ BPCL COCO, its along with a A2B). The next stop was after Namakkal for lunch. And again it rained heavily when I reached Krishnagiri.

It was a easy pass at all the tolls. And no checking while entering KA or anywhere during the return.

Stopped on a service road near Namakkal for lunch.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-t50k.jpg

Overall trip details. This includes lot of idling as well, as I didn't turn the engine off during the lunch stops.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tripdetails.jpg

50,000 Kms Update:

Crossed 50,000 Kms during the return.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-50000.jpg

Posting few numbers related to fuel efficiency as this a frequent question that I get from many. So, here is my observation,
  • The average fuel efficiency is almost same from day 1 to till date. Its ranging closer to 14Kmpl. So, I didn't see any increase in FE post 5K Kms or 10K Kms. Even if it was there, its very negligible.
  • 4x4 model is around 100Kg heavier than the 4x2 model, so 4x2 model may give slightly better FE.
  • On the highway, with sedate driving, I have got upto 18-20Kmpl as well. But its tough to drive for FE :-). So, normally I get around 15-16 Kmpl on the highway.
  • Within city, its around 10-12Kmpl based on the traffic.
Here is the fuel efficiency graph, the Full Tank method calculation is almost same as the MID number.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-fe1.jpg

Here is the graph based on the average fuel efficiency which is calculated at every refills. From days 1 it is consistently closer to 14Kmpl .

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-fe2.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-fe.jpg

The ODO share, the highway drives dominate here

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-odo-share.jpg

It's the number of days taken for every 5K Kms. Thanks to COVID-19 for the last two tall buildings :-).

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-e5kkms.jpg

And overall service expense so far. This was shared in the previous page as well after the 45K service. No changes since then.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-service-history.jpg

Issues:

I have two rattling issues, one on the driver side door and the other one from dashboard. Both are intermittent and I haven't been able to replicate the rattle during the past services. Planning to get this fixed some time soon.

Tyres:

Tyres needs to be replaced, I was looking for Michelin 235/60 R17, but unfortunately there is no stock in many places or they are 3 year old stock. Apart from Firestone, other option is Yokohama but I am yet to decide.

It has been a hassle-free ownership so far and looking forward to munch many more miles with Scarlett!
arun_josie is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 14:54   #173
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Nagercoil - Bangalore Update And 50,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Crossed 50,000 Kms during the return.:
It has been a hassle-free ownership so far and looking forward to munch many more miles with Scarlett
Wonderful log you have maintained there Arun with charts and all. Congratulations for a super quick trouble free 50K.

I remember you from 'teamfiat' days. Your Linea was a bit newer than mine(I am still at 52XXX). Man, you munch kms like nobody's business!

Here's to further 100K just like erstwhile Linea.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 20:59   #174
BHPian

Congrats ,Arun on completing 50k trouble free Kms. One thing to note is that cars are meant to be driven. We should use them to maximum even if they are premium cars and they will run trouble free .And your car is the best example.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 13:01   #175
Senior - BHPian

Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 48,000 km up

Quote:
[b]
Tyres:

Tyres needs to be replaced, I was looking for Michelin 235/60 R17, but unfortunately there is no stock in many places or they are 3 year old stock. Apart from Firestone, other option is Yokohama but I am yet to decide.

It has been a hassle-free ownership so far and looking forward to munch many more miles with Scarlett!

Arun, would the Falkens on the Trailhawk fit your wheels? Though 17 inch not sure if they are a perfect fit on your rims ?

Extremely pleased with this tyre. I have really taken them out on trails with no road and I am extreme happy with the performance.

Good grip on tarmac and confidence inspiring in the rain,prominent bulge on the tyre wall also prevents wheel damage and scratches.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1599982210.452981.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1599982235.492625.jpg

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 13th September 2020 at 13:04.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 08:14   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Wonderful log you have maintained there Arun with charts and all. Congratulations for a super quick trouble free 50K.

I remember you from 'teamfiat' days. Your Linea was a bit newer than mine(I am still at 52XXX). Man, you munch kms like nobody's business!

Here's to further 100K just like erstwhile Linea.

Thanks for your kind words and wishes, abhi_tjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Congrats ,Arun on completing 50k trouble free Kms. One thing to note is that cars are meant to be driven. We should use them to maximum even if they are premium cars and they will run trouble free .And your car is the best example.
Thanks Sandeep500!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Arun, would the Falkens on the Trailhawk fit your wheels? Though 17 inch not sure if they are a perfect fit on your rims ?

Extremely pleased with this tyre. I have really taken them out on trails with no road and I am extreme happy with the performance.

Good grip on tarmac and confidence inspiring in the rain,prominent bulge on the tyre wall also prevents wheel damage and scratches.
Thanks for your feedback. The stock size in mine is 225/60/17 as well. I didn't know that the Trailhawk also came with the same size. I will check this for sure.
Old 15th September 2020, 15:45   #177
BHPian

Could this be the fastest a car has become eligible to move from the Initial Ownership section to the Long-Term Ownership section?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 22:44   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

New Tyres (Yokohama Earth-1), New Brake Pads and ODO@ 51800

New Tyres (Yokohama Earth-1), New Brake Pads and ODO@ 51800

Tyre replacement was pending for a long time. I was looking out for Michelin 235/60/R17 (Stock size is 225/60/R17), but due to the recent import regulations, most of the dealers didn't have stock or were having 2-3 years old stock. Same with Pirelli too. I checked for Falcon and Yokohama BluEarth - RV02 as well but finally I decided on Yokohama Earth1 which is Made in India and easily available compared to others. It costed me 9K per tyre.

I got this replaced at Madhus.

I also got the TPMS - SensAiry fitted along with these new tyres.

Here are the old tyres, it was too hard and very noisy towards the end of life.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tyre_old.jpg

And the new ones. Initial impression is, these tyres are way better than the Firestones. Eventhough Earth1 is said to be harder than BluEarth - RV02, its on the softer side and silent when compared to the stock Firestones.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tyre_new.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tyre_new2.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tyre_wa.jpg

Madhus has an automated sensor that detects the tread depth when we drive over it. Here is report of the same,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tyre_d.jpg

Brake Pads replaced at MPS/PPS Motors:

I started getting some metal rubbing sound randomly while driving in city traffic. This sound stays for few seconds and disappears on its own. Or it will go away when I tap on the brake pedal. So, I took it to service center, but couldn't replicate the issue during the test drive. However they suspected on the brake pads and when checked it was worn-out.

Brake Pads and Brake fluid cost me around 7600/-.

They did a quick general check-up as well.

Old break pads, done and dusted

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-oldbp.jpg

New break pads

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-newbp.jpg

And few pics from nearby drives during the last 3-4 weeks.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-1.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-2.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-3.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-4.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-5.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-6.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 19th October 2020 at 23:04.
arun_josie is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 08:24   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Tyres (Yokohama Earth-1), New Brake Pads and ODO@ 51800

Great to see your updates and photos. Thank you for the detailed updates. Your car looks beautiful as always.

Quote:
Brake Pads and Brake fluid cost me around 7600/-.
Wow, this is really good. Does this include labour charges and the taxes too? If so, this is a great deal. This specifically caught my attention because just recently I changed the brake pads on my 320d and the total bill for four pads, labour charges and taxes came to Rs. 42k!

And the BMW brake pads barely last half of the 51k km life you got!

The Jeep Compass is indeed a fantastic vehicle. Looks great, drives well, can go places, and from what you shared, looks quite affordable to maintain too. What more can one ask?

Enjoy your car and looking forward to many more photos of your lovely red Jeep.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 20th October 2020 at 08:27.
Dr.AD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 22:03   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Tyres (Yokohama Earth-1), New Brake Pads and ODO@ 51800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Great to see your updates and photos. Thank you for the detailed updates. Your car looks beautiful as always.

Wow, this is really good. Does this include labour charges and the taxes too? If so, this is a great deal. This specifically caught my attention because just recently I changed the brake pads on my 320d and the total bill for four pads, labour charges and taxes came to Rs. 42k!

And the BMW brake pads barely last half of the 51k km life you got!
This is for front brake pads. Rear is still good.

Here is the breakup which includes tax as well

Brake Pad cost: 6349/-
Labour charges: 849/-
Brake Fluid: 377/-

Total: 7575/-

Yes, so far the maintenance has been reasonable. Hope this continues

Quote:
The Jeep Compass is indeed a fantastic vehicle. Looks great, drives well, can go places, and from what you shared, looks quite affordable to maintain too. What more can one ask?

Enjoy your car and looking forward to many more photos of your lovely red Jeep.
No complaints so far and I am happy with the overall ownership. Thanks for your wishes and kind words
arun_josie is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed