Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2021, 16:26   #211

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!

Hey Arun, congratulations on crossing the 60k milestone. This is great stuff. I need your advice on headlamps. Mine is a Limited Plus 4x2 Diesel MT, driven for 7K kms now. My stock headlights are Bi Xenon HIDs. Here's what I have observed:

When driving in the early dawn ~5AM to 6AM and similarly during dusk between 530PM and 630PM (just before full sunset) the brightness seems a bit inadequate.
I don't however have a problem when its pitch dark, the headlights seem to be bright enough then. However I still wish that the brightness and throw could be a bit longer on the low beams.

Do you recommend an HID upgrade over the stock Bi Xenon HIDs in the Limited Plus? If so from where in Bangalore can I get this reliably done or consult with on options for an upgrade? Hoping you can share some details.

Asking you since your last recommendation of Krithi Car Care worked out great for me and my car looks very good thanks to the ceramic coating I got done from them. Hoping for some good advice on the headlights aspect.
vyshak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 09:45   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyshak View Post
Hey Arun, congratulations on crossing the 60k milestone. This is great stuff. I need your advice on headlamps. Mine is a Limited Plus 4x2 Diesel MT, driven for 7K kms now. My stock headlights are Bi Xenon HIDs. Here's what I have observed:

When driving in the early dawn ~5AM to 6AM and similarly during dusk between 530PM and 630PM (just before full sunset) the brightness seems a bit inadequate.
I don't however have a problem when its pitch dark, the headlights seem to be bright enough then. However I still wish that the brightness and throw could be a bit longer on the low beams.

Do you recommend an HID upgrade over the stock Bi Xenon HIDs in the Limited Plus? If so from where in Bangalore can I get this reliably done or consult with on options for an upgrade? Hoping you can share some details.
Hey..Thank you!

Regarding the headlamps, I am still sticking to the stock. Howerver I have seem few people who got the upgrade done at The Automotive Lighting Experts. You can refer to the below thread for more details,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4481899 (Jeep Compass: Morimoto HID Headlights + FE Retrofit Projector Foglamps Upgrade)

Also, here is their facebook page,
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...86268641760832

Quote:
Asking you since your last recommendation of Krithi Car Care worked out great for me and my car looks very good thanks to the ceramic coating I got done from them. Hoping for some good advice on the headlights aspect.
Thanks for the feedback and glad you were happy with their service.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 22:56   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

2 years ownership update, ODO @ 61785 Kms

2 years ownership update, ODO @ 61785 Kms:

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-1.jpg

It’s been two years of ownership now and has been a fantastic journey so far. However with the pandemic stepping in to its second year, the drives have been limited and plans for long drives are nil. The ODO saw a 50% reduction in usage compared to Scarlett’s first year. The notable covid-drives were to Shettihalli, Mandaragiri betta, Chitradurga , Mangalore and a few drives to the home base, Kanyakumari. Hoping that this year, at least the second half of it looks up.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-5.jpg

ODO Share – Highway Vs City Vs Mixed

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-odo.jpg

Maintenance:

The maintenance cost has been decent so far @ 1Rs per Km. This might go up once we start replacing the wear and tear parts. Especially next service @75K Kms includes the timing belt replacement.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-service.jpg

Parts Replacement:
  1. Tyres @ 51180 Kms
  2. Front Brake Pads @ 51205 Kms
Other replacements to be monitored:
  1. Battery, most of the jeep owners have replaced the battery within 2 years. So, I am monitoring this closely.
  2. Clutch, many got it replaced under warranty (especially from the initial batches), for me it’s good so far. Little hard but nothing to be worried about.
  3. Suspension parts, looks fine as of now.
Fuel Efficiency:

If you are sedate, you can easily get around 18-20Kmpl on the highway. But it’s not easy to maintain those boring speeds[FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT][/FONT]. I get around 16-17Kmpl and within city it’s mostly in the range of 10-12Kmpl.
My overall average FE till date is at 13.86 Kmpl.

Here is the FE graph, numbers are from Full tank – Full tank refills.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-fe_mid_ft.jpg

Below graph is based on the overall average FE number calculated after every refill. Currently this average stands at 13.86 Kmpl

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-fe_avg.jpg

Some numbers on fuel refills, fuel price

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-fe-numbers.jpg

Where do I get the tank filled every time?

In Bangalore, I stick to specific IOC/BPCL outlets near my home. It used to be just one specific BPCL outlet initially, but now for convenience sake, I use one other IOC outlet as well.

When on the highway, I prefer COCO. Mostly it’s BPCL COCO. In my home town, I go to a specific HPCL outlet.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-fuel-refill.jpg

Number of days taken to reach every 5000 Kms.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-e5kms.jpg

Some pics captured during a recent short drive.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-2.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-3.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-4.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (49) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 22:54   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

ODO @ 63000 Kms

First full night-drive:

Till date, I hadn’t done a full night drive on the highways. I always prefer to start at any time of the day and extend the drive late in to the night or have a very early morning start say 2am or 3am. But, an emergency at my home forced me to do a full night drive. I was prepared to take power naps along the way and that’s what I did.

We started around 9:30 PM from Bangalore. The traffic was heavy till Hosur. After this, slowly the traffic disappeared and I started maintaining a speed of around 100-110. There were almost no two-wheeler traffic on the road. There were no crowd at tolls either and I didn't have any issues till 3:00AM. At around 3:00AM, I stopped at a toll and took a quick nap for 30 minutes. I was fine for an hour after that but then I stopped again for a 30 minutes nap. We reached Nagercoil by 7:30 AM.

Overall, it was a good drive. Less traffic on road, less crowd at toll, and more fuel efficiency.

This was somewhere after crossing Madurai
Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210406_055236.jpg

And this was after crossing Nanguneri toll
Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210406_065349.jpg

Here is the trip details, this includes 1 hour of idling during my quick naps and also the idling during the tea stops. Since kids were sleeping all through the journey, the engine was never turned off. But still gave a healthy fuel efficiency of 18.1 Kmpl

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-feh.jpg

It’s been a month here in my hometown and it’s just very short drives every day and here is the FE for 400+ Kms within town (Nagercoil) limits. This is the lowest FE till date.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-fec.jpg

Battery Replacement:

Despite driving on daily basis, one fine day Scarlett refused to start and started throwing random errors.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-bat1.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-bat2.jpg

Local mechanic checked and confirmed that the battery had died. Later the battery technician tried to revive it but it just wouldn't charge. I have seen many other Compass owners facing this same issue too, the battery dying without any symptoms. So, I got it replaced with Amaron 74ah battery. This comes with 44 months replacement warranty and 66 months Pro Rata based warranty. I paid 8K for the same.

After replacing the battery, the service engine light/message was coming on the MID but it disappeared on its own next day.

ODO has crossed 63K now.

Here are some random pics from the past month

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-1.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-2.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-3.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (55) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 14:13   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ODO @ 63000 Kms

Lockdown continues however used a small window when the lockdown was relaxed for a day last week. A short drive of 40Kms and an opportunity to slot 5th and 6th gear after around 50 days. I was lucky that it rained to make the drive interesting even though it was a very short one.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210523_103601.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210523_104649.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210523_104429.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 20:18   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

ODO @ 65000 Kms

Nagercoil - Chennai - Nagercoil - Bangalore:

A drive on the highway after a long time after close to 3 months. It started with a drive to Chennai and back to Nagercoil, then the return drive to Bangalore. Overall a distance of 2K Kms.

I drove to Chennai from Nagercoil with my parents. It was an one-stop drive with a quick lunch pitstop for a packed lunch. There wasn’t much traffic and the tolls were an easy pass. we were stopped twice for e-pass checking. It took a little less than 9 hours to reach our destination in Chennai.

Return to Nagercoil was a solo drive. It was again an one-stop drive with a break for lunch and took around 8 hours and 30 minutes. This time there was no checking for e-pass.

I returned to Bangalore with family after two days. The luggage was heavy and more this time. So, we removed the parcel tray to accommodate more luggage. I must say that removing the tray made a big difference and helped a lot. I made sure that rear review is not getting affected for me.

We were stopped for a quick e-pass check and then we made a quick stop for lunch. Traffic was not much on the highway till we crossed Krishnagiri beyond which the traffic looked very normal like pre-covid days. Overall, it was refreshing to be back on the highways.

Regarding Fastag, I think all the devices have been upgraded. I am saying this because I never felt the wait for the tag to be detected. It was smooth sailing in all the we crossed. This is probably one reason on why there wasn’t any clogging in the tolls.

Crossed 65,000 Kms on the ODO.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tempfileforshare_20210623184529.jpg

Overall trip details. The FE came to 14.2 Kmpl. This includes a lot of idling and some short drives in Chennai.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210622_164110.jpg

When stopped on the highway for lunch, this was after crossing Namakkal. Just in case anyone wants some good tree shades on this route, then better to look out after crossing Thoppur A2B. At about 2 Kms from this place towards Krishnagiri, there some really nice places to stop with a lot of trees for shade.

Name:  20210622_130128.png
Views: 10784
Size:  908.8 KB

Some random pics,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tempfileforshare_20210623184943.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-tempfileforshare_20210623185019.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (62) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 11:19   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Ha! Amazing thread, just like the linea thread of yours Arun.

Always a fan of your excellent documentation. By this rate we will be looking at the 2 lakh km mark before 2025.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th June 2021 at 11:21.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 17:42   #218
BHPian

Re: ODO @ 65000 Kms

Nice thread! Wish you many more happy miles with Scarlet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Nagercoil - Chennai - Nagercoil - Bangalore:

The luggage was heavy and more this time. So, we removed the parcel tray to accommodate more luggage. I must say that removing the tray made a big difference and helped a lot.
Did you ever face ground clearance issues with a full load, especially with the front bumper lip?
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 18:50   #219

Incredible attention to detail in your report and thank you for contributing. Do you mind sharing where/how you extracted this data out of Jeep or was it meticulous tracking with an app or something?
imkarthikk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 08:48   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Ha! Amazing thread, just like the linea thread of yours Arun.

Always a fan of your excellent documentation. By this rate we will be looking at the 2 lakh km mark before 2025.
Thank you Prasanna .

Lets hope the current situation improves soon so that we can munch miles without any hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
Nice thread! Wish you many more happy miles with Scarlet.

Did you ever face ground clearance issues with a full load, especially with the front bumper lip?
Yes, it touches on those giant humps which is usually seen on top of water/sewage ducts with a sharp climb. No issues while crossing over the regulation speed breakers. It is an issue on very bad and uneven roads too, but since it flexes, I have not faced any issues so far. There is a shortened bumper lip available too which I have not tried yet. Apart from this, I’ve not faced any issues with the ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkarthikk View Post
Incredible attention to detail in your report and thank you for contributing. Do you mind sharing where/how you extracted this data out of Jeep or was it meticulous tracking with an app or something?
Thank you imkarthikk. Welcome to T-BHP.

I am using the old school mode, an excel sheet to capture the data :-). I tried using few apps but gave up in between. I click pics of the ODO regularly during refueling and capture it in the excel sheet whenever I get time.
arun_josie is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 21:26   #221
BHPian

Munching Miles like anything, Arun!

You have also maintained it very well.

I'm currently in the Market for a used Compass and have come across one 2017 Diesel Longitude version. Car has already 90000 KM in the Odometer in less than 4 years. Can you please provide any insight into what all parts I would need to replace in the next 5 years. My running is not much, I would most probably cover 20-25 KM in the next 5 years.

Thanks in Advance!

VJ
VJ05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:05   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
I'm currently in the Market for a used Compass and have come across one 2017 Diesel Longitude version. Car has already 90000 KM in the Odometer in less than 4 years. Can you please provide any insight into what all parts I would need to replace in the next 5 years. My running is not much, I would most probably cover 20-25 KM in the next 5 years.

Thanks in Advance!

VJ
Better to check the service history of this Compass because 2017 model had issues with Clutch, Fuel pump etc. Apart from that timing belt has to be replaced every 75K Kms. Here is the chart for regular service,

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-ms1.jpg

Personally I will stay away from a 90K Kms run car unless I know the owner and how it was maintained.

Also, check if the owner has taken extended warranty.
arun_josie is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 18:08   #223
BHPian

Thanks @arun_josie for the detailed review and congratulations for crunching >65KMs in your Compass.

I'm scouting for a vehicle upgrade and after reading your review I was encouraged to book a test drive, till this time Jeep Compass was not even in my list due to the price factor, still is way above my budget.

I test drove the Diesel Manual (Limited) Facelift Jeep Compass and mighty impressed with the drive. Unfortunately, they don't offer a 4x4 in manual and AT is not my game. However, on the Sales Advisor's recommendation will take a test drive shortly.

I noticed the Diesel Manual does not come with a Cruise Control, the Sales Advisor mentioned cruise control is more suitable for AT and is risky for MT, I don't buy this point. I'm upgrading from a 10 year old Dzire ZDI , so not in tune with the latest tech. What is your thought on this? I'm sure for all those KMs you have driven a cruise control would have been a boon in my opinion.

Thanks again.

RS
Raghunath Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 22:30   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post

I noticed the Diesel Manual does not come with a Cruise Control, the Sales Advisor mentioned cruise control is more suitable for AT and is risky for MT, I don't buy this point. I'm upgrading from a 10 year old Dzire ZDI , so not in tune with the latest tech. What is your thought on this? I'm sure for all those KMs you have driven a cruise control would have been a boon in my opinion.

Thanks again.

RS
Yes, cruise control will be helpful in some of the highways but definitely not a deal breaker for me. Your service advisor's response on this doesn't make much sense. If you hit the highways very frequently then give a serious thought about cruise control. As mentioned by you in the other thread, this is a miss in Compass manual version.

Performance and build quality-wise Compass diesel is way ahead of Seltos. It all comes down to what exactly you are looking for (performance, features, price point etc). The price difference is huge too.

By the way, even I owned Dzire ZDi 2011 model

Last edited by arun_josie : 11th July 2021 at 22:37.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 22:00   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore - Bisle - Mangalore - Shiradi - Bangalore:

A drive to Mangalore is always fun, be it the drive or the food and ice cream in Mangalore . Bhp-ian speedsatya wanted to get his Zen from Mangalore, so we decided to drive down and pick it up.

As usual we started early by 3:15 am and this time we decided to take the Bisle route. I have never been on this route before but I’ve heard that this is a very scenic stretch. One of our friends joined as well who was going on this route to Sullia. It was a boring drive on the 4L highway till Hassan.

We took left from Hassan and went via Gorur. It started raining from this point. There was mist in most of this stretch. The road condition is good throughout except for occasional minor patches. But more importantly, it is very scenic. We stopped at multiple locations including the Bisle view point which is a 100m walk off the road.

Here are a few pics.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210710_074040.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210710_081033.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210710_082409.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210710_082802.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-162602576313301.jpeg

After multiple stops on ghats, we proceeded towards Managalore and reached around 11:30 AM. Lunch was at Shetty Lunch Home followed by some delicious ice cream at Pabbas.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210710_145559.jpg

We started back at 5:30 PM via Shiradi. It was raining again and kept the drive interesting. The roads were good till the end of the Shiradi ghat after which it is in a bad shape. After Hassan, we were back on the 4L and stopped for dinner and later for some tea. Overall, it was a nice drive.

Here is the pocket rocket

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-20210710_225231.jpg

Trip details

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,40,000 km up!-trip-details.jpg

Quick visit to PPS Motors:

After this drive, I started hearing some sound from suspension while going over speed breakers or bad patches. So, I took Scarlett to PPS today and they found that the bolt that connects the wheel hub and suspension had come loose. After tightening it, this sound disappeared.

HSRP number plate:

I also got the HSRP number plate fitted at PPS. This was ordered some 3 months back but I never got a chance to go and fix the number plate. So, got this fitted today.
arun_josie is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed