Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2007, 03:09   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Verna CRDi. EDIT: 263,000 km up and SOLD!

We bought HYUNDAI VERNA VGT ABS silver about 3 months back.It has done 5000km and still feels as good as new.
Infact engine has smoothen up after first service.The ride too feels smooth as suspension seems to be settling down.
ABS is very helpful especially on NH4 during trips to pune. 4 disc breaks dont even allow you to put your foot on the brake pedal.This I feel is preety unsecured in city traffic as there is always a fear that someone might tailgate me.So i need to be cautious there.But i feel Hyundai has put those 20K to good use for disc brakes and ABS.
Now the most important part-FUEL EFFICIENCY:ITS GREAT.
City-14-15kmpl,ac-on
Highway-19-20kmpl with ac on for speeds in excess of 100 all the way.
Maximum speeds reached 155km/hr but this car is capable of muchmore and I am thinking to get it on express highway to push it to its limits.
Gears are shifted easily, no problem on highways but 2nd and 3rd feels too apart in city traffic.
Steering very helpful in city traffic but needs little time to get use to on highways at corners.
AC is good but thumbs down for HYUNDAI for not providing Climate control.
Also got Pioneer mp3 with 4 Pioneer speakers as HYUNDAI didnt provide any as the music system is great.
I feel front passenger knee room is inadequate. Boot space is decent.
The much hyped campaign against vernas looks seem to be fading, come-on people get over it, everyone has his own tastes.
Tyres feel noisy on rough surfaces and will change over to 185/90 latter on. Will it help?
On highways the car is stable and doesnt drift or bump unneccesarily. Headlights feel inadequate at nights, changed to 100/90 bulbs with relay but doesnt help much. Thinking of removing those covers on bulbs, Is it legal to do so? and will it help?
And are those so called fog lamps are of any help or applied only for enhansing looks?
Well thats it. At present it feels like a 'and they lived happily ever after' kind of story with our verna.
THAKYOU.

Note from mod: Please refrain from using more than 2 smileys per post

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st February 2007 at 11:09.
Old 21st February 2007, 12:58   #2
BHPian

185/90 ? That's some ratio !
Old 21st February 2007, 13:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpindian View Post
We bought HYUNDAI VERNA VGT ABS silver. ABS is very helpful especially on NH4 during trips to pune.
I thought the Verna Crdi doesn't have ABS even as an option?
Old 21st February 2007, 22:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I thought the Verna Crdi doesn't have ABS even as an option?
The Verna crdi has optional ABS and disc brakes.
Old 21st February 2007, 22:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

yes the abs version was not launched initially,that was in nov 2006 when i got mine.its crossed 7800 kms now .smart power and stable .i touched 150kmphr.mileage i get on highways was 16 .and i noticed some smoking too .how does other cars do.any smoke when throttled.
ram
Old 21st February 2007, 23:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpindian View Post

Tyres feel noisy on rough surfaces and will change over to 185/90 latter on. Will it help?
Hi.

I am sure you are mistaken. You can change to either 185/60 (for sport and performance tyres) or 185/65 for comfort and safety oriented tyres.
I myself use Yokohama c.drive 185/65 (review elsewhere on some thread) for my Verna CRDi (no ABS) and am very very pleased with their low noise, comfort and handling.
Old 22nd February 2007, 00:56   #7
BHPian

Regret for error

The tyre size mentioned -185/90 is a typo. It actually meant 185/60.
Thankyou for pointing that out.
I never get smoke even after revving my car upto 3000rpm.
I am pretty careful about fuel quality and use fuel in reputed fuel stations.
What do you people think about high beam of the car?
Old 22nd February 2007, 01:18   #8
BHPian

I guess bhpindian means 185 or 190
Old 22nd February 2007, 01:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
yes the abs version was not launched initially,that was in nov 2006 when i got mine.its crossed 7800 kms now .smart power and stable .i touched 150kmphr.mileage i get on highways was 16 .and i noticed some smoking too .how does other cars do.any smoke when throttled.
ram
Once I saw smoke (in my rvm) when i was 'taking of' at a red light and I admit the smoke was too much!! And one day I was on NH1 behind another verna for about 10 minutes...just for the sake of looking at the smoke...and yes ...the guy infront was continuously driving 130-140 and there was smoke comming out when ever he downshifted to 4th to overtake slow moving trucks
Old 22nd February 2007, 19:33   #10
BHPian

Hey,There is no mention of the suspension of the car. I have travelled in a Verna quite a bit. Though I don't own one, my business partner has a Verna CRDi and my Brother in law has a xxi pertol. Amazing car with very soft suspension. In highway drives, any undulation on the road will send the car bouncing a few times. Not a desirable feeling. Hyundai has to do someting about the shocks.
Old 23rd February 2007, 00:04   #11
BHPian

well as i have changed to 16inc no bounce for me..and tyres r goodyear which r amazing.guys i do get slight smoke sometimes,not as bad as my indigo which is still staying with me.
Old 23rd February 2007, 00:46   #12
BHPian

So far only one problem....may be suspension related....but the car never drives straight!! Eather it tends to move right...or sometimes it tends to move left...I cant drive with both my hands off from steering wheel eveen for 3-4 seconds. ...And yes i fully agree with srirambr..car bounce more than any other car.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
So far only one problem....may be suspension related....but the car never drives straight!! Eather it tends to move right...or sometimes it tends to move left...I cant drive with both my hands off from steering wheel eveen for 3-4 seconds. ...And yes i fully agree with srirambr..car bounce more than any other car.
Rohit, do get the wheel alignment checked. I believe this could be a problem with the same.
Old 23rd February 2007, 13:30   #14
BHPian

Guys if you are still doing 150 KMPH on these babies, you are missing out on a lot. I remember doing 180 when I had gone for the test drive, the only problem was that the sales guy got very fidgety and I had to slow down. But watch out if you dont have ABS at that kind of a speed it gets pretty scary if you to break hard.
Old 23rd February 2007, 20:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Rohit, do get the wheel alignment checked. I believe this could be a problem with the same.
Yea I got it done...but no help...In-fact when I went at Hyundai Motor Plaza for first service there was a guy who's Verna VGT has done 800 KMs only and the wheel alignment was done FIVE TIMES!! And the tires were crossed THRICE. His Car went left as soon as we take our hands off the steering wheel. The engineers at the workshop don’t know what to say as of yet. I invited the owner to drive my Verna and he said that mine too had same problem but it’s balanced as the car goes either way. Well we all know that the roads always have a slope but Verna reacts to slope more than any other car … (may be because of soft suspension)…may be the above mentioned case is an extreme example but I have observed same thing that it does not drive straight most of the times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks