Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 13:15   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!

Polar bear has been confined to the city for the most part for a few months apart from the ~ 150 Km run through crowded Mysore road 2 weeks back she has not been 'livin life' as much. Yesterday we took a ~ 300 Km trip, some supplies were needed for my sister who studies in the medical college. Due to their location that is very far from any nearest city. The Bangalore - Mangalore road was a breeze to drive through apart from the traffic on way the way back in the evening. Coffee day cafe`s were open, highway restaurants were open as well. The Bellur cross coffee day remains to be the best place to stop, the other one in Kunigal is not at all well maintained and a broken restroom that is closed as well.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20200607_144716.jpg

Taking a break at a village road deviation, We used this place to have some pre-packed lunch from home.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20200607_160126.jpg

On the way back home - face full of bugs, tummy full of diesel - what more can a bear ask for? A shower, as the rains came down in full force after a while.

Maintenance update - 2 headlight bulbs and 2 number plate light bulbs replaced last week. All in pairs because one look at the non faulty bulb`s filament and it looks like it will fail in the next three days.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 23:28   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Some products that I use occassionally apart from Proklear and Colin / glass cleaner.
-------

An inexpensive polish that keep the paint as well as headlights and windshield clean.

Wavex low cut rubbing compound.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-screenshot_20200610225409418_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07255TMMX/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Axq4EbQYM4JYR

Ease of use? Medium. The wipe off after rubbing it in will give your arms a workout.

Is it effective? Oh yes. It is more aggressive than the previous product I used to use , Formula 1.

How to use it?

Step 1 - clean the panel, I use Proklear or Colin / all purpose cleaner for this step.
Step 2 - rub the polish in, make sure to remove any spots or stains by giving it a few more passes.
Step 3 - Wipe off before it dries, else it's a pain to remove.
Step 4 - Apply wax (Optional)

Preferably do this a few panel at a time, it's not only time consuming but a lot of effort without a machine polisher. I refuse to use a polisher because I don't think I can handle it, besides apart from spot cleaning, rubbing down an entire vehicle is not necessary more than 1 or 2 times a year. I do this just before rains arrive in full force. A pack like this will easily last a year or more.

Next one is an inexpensive spray on wax that works well if used properly.

Nippon spray wax.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20200610_230442.jpg

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07DFL639H/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_kMr4Eb9822NJC

Ease of use? Super easy.

Step 1 - Two sprays on the center of a clean panel.
Step 2 - Place a folded MF towel where it's sprayed and just wipe all over the panel.

You can use this along with waterless wash as well during the final wipe, results are good. One spray bottle lasts a long time.

Next one is for tires and rubber / plastic bits - used rarely.

Wavex silicone emulsion.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20200610_231516.jpg

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01DHJ4146/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_yWr4EbMG56ZHJ

This can be used anywhere, it's effective on rubber and black plastic bits. Apply and wipe off the excess just that easy. I am sure there are cheaper alternatives for these products just as there are more expensive ones, for me these have worked and they are accessible.

Warning : Do not attempt to polish the roof of a vehicle on the same day as other parts, just keep it for another day
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:56   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The unintended consequence of lockdown is that I tried Boodmo app rather than going to the dealer, which is my preferred way to get anything replaced.

Unlike the first time i tried this app, it has come a long way in terms of the OE catalog, the detail is pretty impressive.

1. Gear Lever - Unscrew the old one and install the new one in.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-gear-lever-replaced.jpg

2. Upper door dampener - use a screw driver to pry it off, push the new one in with sub silicone emulsion to lubricate it. (new one on the right side)

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-door-upper.jpg

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-door-dampener-upper.jpg

3. Lower door dampener - Unscrew it and install new one, a lot like bonnet dampener.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-door-lower.jpg

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-door-dampener-lower.jpg

So how is the Boodmo experience?

Speed - Delivery for most items took about 3-4 days, one is in backorder for past two weeks now.

Quality - This is not OE, it maybe made by the same guys but what you get from dealer vs what you get from aftermarket seems to be lower in terms of quality for now, lets see some other parts that i`m planning to order. My left side mirror seems to be vibrating a bit, almost 6 years and plenty of knocks later I guess its time, lets see about ordering this once the backorder gets fulfilled.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:48   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The Solar Eclipse last Sunday presented a unique opportunity - empty roads and while I was trying to find a certain place, I chanced upon some freshly laid roads that go from nowhere to pretty much nowhere at all. This one is in Kanakapura Taluk, off the highway.

You can land a small aircraft in here , no problem.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-scorpio-kanakapura-2.jpg
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 12:53   #35
BHPian

That's lovely roads. The traffic till this part if a big pain.

Do update on the Bodomo parts. I might look at that route for my XUV5OO
Old 24th June 2020, 13:24   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
That's lovely roads. The traffic till this part if a big pain.

Do update on the Bodomo parts. I might look at that route for my XUV5OO
I remember those days when it used to take an hour to get to nice road junction from Jayanagar, these days its a breeze (apart from the uneven road), sparse traffic for the most part. The roads are widened in many places, the bad side is that for the most part the roads have lost their charm as well as the trees on either side.

Boodmo seems to be hassle free so far, they have a return process as well as discounts for Mahindra parts @15% between 27 and 28th June as per the notification I received.

The advantage I see with Boodmo is that, the service centers are focused on mechanical and cosmetic parts , you can get a bumper, an entire roof or an entire engine in two days for most vehicles but a small rubber dampener will take weeks to order up , this is where Boodmo can help at least in my case.

The rest I can pick it up when I visit JC road, I like going there and talking to Joseph Chettan from Prestige Automobiles
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 13:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Polar bear turns 7 this year. Odo currently at ~ 85000. (90K servicing done).

Maintenance Updates over time.

1. Brake discs replaced, it lasted for 85K, while there is still life left in it, it was near the recommended thickness for replacement , also this being a slotted disc rotor.
2. Brake Pads replaced.
3. Brake Booster replaced - a leak was observed during inspection although there was no apparent change in braking performance. But it will come to that eventually.
4. Vacuum modulator vibrates once in a while - replaced.
5. Suspension upper arm ball joints replaced as the rubber boots were showing signs of wear, eventually mud and dirt will get into it and make noise. For this many miles and our offroad outings included, thats pretty good.
6. All doors aligned, tightened, any squeaks or rattles taken care.

Runs on OE supplied oil, its cheap and runs a full year for my use.

The guys (Murali & Nethaji) at Sireesh Auto takes good care, they know the drill and everyone in there knows the vehicle. Anything that shows even the slightest sign of wear gets repaired or replaced.

She does get dirty. Cyclone Nivar`s Gift. At this point I realized Proklear wont do, This is no bug splatter beard she usually gets. A proper wash is needed after having to get through pretty much no visible road for a while. The car wash guy sprayed the car with water and it looked the same, he ran his finger through the stuck on red mud and then asked me - how did you reach here? The highway was blocked yesterday due to flooding and this mud is not seen in your route and then I told him where we came through and he laughed.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20201127_161440.jpg

It takes some effort to maintain the fresh from Gym looks, but its totally worth spending that 1 - 1.5 hours every weekend with a bottle of Proklear.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20200809_132558.jpg

In her neck of the woods, finding new routes during those weekends she does not need to go for official duties of her master - the Wife of course. I`m the handler for outstation trips only.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20200809_13491401.jpeg

We have spent a long time with it and in it, there seems to be no need for an upgrade at this point, the vehicle feels new to drive, everything feels 'tight', looks fresh as well. This year appears to be busy for Polar bear, lots of official trips with little to no notice whatsoever, since its time in 2014 with us there has not been any unplanned downtimes , I hope that continues.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 11:01   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

While cleaning interiors I noticed a small tear on the gear shift gaiter. Boodmo to the rescue - INR 600 later and I replaced it on my own. I`m sure my Wife has not noticed it. Next on the list is an upgrade of the audio system that is about 7 years over due, just lacks the motivation to get it over with. slim subwoofer, some coaxials, a new Pioneer HU etc, hmm, some day.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20210704_125436.jpg

As her owner takes a deep breath before diving into her new Job, Polar Bear too is taking a sigh of relief, it will be sometime before the whirlwind trips resume, for now relaxed recreational trips only. 90K on the odometer, she will finally get a covered parking in the new office.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20210228_175139.jpg
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 12:06   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Polar Bear has been quite busy this year, so were we and as for the last time when we were this busy with work - It was the same year Scorpio came home.

Featured as 'the' wedding car along with our '16 Scorpio. Our relative who has been through more road trips in the back seat of the Scorpio than any other vehicle - it was fitting that Scorpio was around for her special day.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20220424_13071801.jpeg

Scorpio has been everything and more than we asked for, we came across it by chance but it has surely changed how we travel, what we did and in many ways our lifestyle and what we are going to do in future.

Sometime last month Polar Bear was taken back by the dealer in exchange for Polar Bear 3 who has now taken its place in the garage, in true BHPian fashion it was the best well preserved Scorpio of this vintage they had ever seen.

Was it reliable? Having its Odometer past 1L kms, I can say very well - Yes please.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed