Team-BHP - Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/216439-back-basics-5-years-mahindra-scorpio-edit-now-sold.html)

So this August our Polar Bear turned 5, it felt fitting to write a bit about it now that we`ve gotten to know this vehicle quite a bit by now. This vehicle is my Wife`s daily drive.

Polar Bear as our daughter has named her is a 2014 Scorpio Sle, the last of the lot which rolled out before 3rd Generation Scorpio released in September of 2014.

So why Scorpio?
I always liked Jeeps, I wanted to have a Safari as well for a long time so its a bit weird that I ended up getting Scorpio instead. It took some thought , but the final push came from my better half and there I had to give in.

Back in the day, our good old '97 Esteem was due for a replacement, it was reliable cheap to maintain , nice to drive, its just that our travel timelines were getting squeezed due to 6 day work week, something that more comfortable was needed, so the hunt began.

The Esteem did its share of non-stop travel, Bangalore to Kochi & Back on the same day, Bangalore to Ooty & Back on the same day etc. Can be done, but tiring.

My Wife`s daily drive at this point was an M800, 4 speed, the last release of M800.

I was using Bangalore`s BMTC Airport Volvo bus for most part of my travel everyday, I was not planning to drive to work anyways, the primary user has to be my Wife. So began the search for a new vehicle.

1. Ford Fiesta 1.6 classic - I loved it, Wife loved it and then we saw the Ecosport. Our relative had recently bought the Ecosport, it was a nice vehicle.

2. Ford Ecosport - It was nice to drive, a bit firm ride but the version that looked good with alloys and the works was ~12L on road, felt super expensive there. Now that the budget expanded and there was a Mahindra outlet right next to it (St Marks road), my eyes were on Thar CRDe, decided to come back the next day and check it out, oh the Jeep lover in me was super excited indeed.

3. Thar CRDe - I`m being silly now, Wife was alarmed at the lack of anything inside, nor can you keep even a pack of chips safe inside it but she said, we can look at the Bolero instead. We did not drive the Thar at all, I however was promised a Jeep some years later.

4. Bolero VLX - It was a bit slow to pull away, but holds the speed well afterwards, ride was more comfortable than I though it would. Horn was a joke. But as a package, it felt incredible value for money. Salesman asked if we`d like to try the Scorpio LX, I said No, I never liked it, I was more of a Safari guy. Wife nudged me to try it, she liked the way it looks, somehow it appeals to women.

5. Scorpio VLX - The test drive vehicle was the Refresh model, new suspension set up , new seats etc. Eased off the clutch and it leaped ahead, Salesman had a worried look, I was also wondering who is giving it the accelerator. As soon as I climbed the silk board flyover, Engine was the only thing in my mind, oh boy! And then you reach the other side into a mass of traffic, the vehicles part way for you - this is crazy. So it had a good engine, excellent gear ratios, nice visibility and rather direct steering feel & feedback. Basics covered.
That month there was a discount of 40K + free insurance etc. I was well aware at this point that a new generation is coming in, the sales people mentioned that as well. He also mentioned that XUV W4 is just 90K INR away from Scorpio VLX.

6. XUV5OO - This is where I said Stop!

7. Scorpio Sle - Booked this one by paying INR 5K, It felt like the right mix of whats needed and what can give me issues later on and therefore to be skipped. Wife`s preference was Rocky Beige, I wanted white - I negotiated saying that since we are buying the vehicle you chose, I`m getting to choose the color - Diamond white was my pick. In my mind it was all about cost, its far easier to fix single stage white paint that metallic multi stage paint. The single stage diamond white paint used in Scorpio is INR 11K per litre, made by BASF, so much for cheap paint!!

We were asked to wait for about 3 weeks for the shipment to arrive, went to the yard and picked up the vehicle we wanted , there were several vehicles of the same variant , same color, picked up the cleanest one with the help of an experienced driver. Tires for Sle at that time was JK Elanzo, good tire, grippy on dry and wet roads, off road its not that good.

All the paper work was done by the dealer, it was coordinated very well, and after buying many many Mahindra`s later, this experience remains the same.

The delivery experience was nice, took the vehicle and carefully drove it home from Silkboard to Jayanagar through BTM, for the first time, the traffic did not bother me much.

Back home - Wife had her first drive around the neighborhood and she felt right at home, the tall seating , visibility everything felt right. Some felt that she wont be able to handle it, but just like the vehicle, its primary user happens to be a tough one. Its her daily drive ever since, she travels across the city for 2-3 times a week, otherwise its parked outside her office just 900 Mtrs away from our home.

What I do not like about it.
1. Place to keep stuff, it needs more storage space for small items.
2. Spare wheel in the back door rather than under , I know the current set up ensures a rattle free tailgate, its a rant anyways.
3. Better slots to place speakers inside, current setup involves hacking through the door panel of the boot door, not convenient or good for stereo imaging.
4. Beige interiors though feel airy, is a pain to keep clean (not as bad as the almost white interior of Ertiga for reference) and I have OCD about keeping the interiors clean.
5. There is only one door seal, my esteem had two, while the interiors kept most of the road noise away even at speeds, two door seals keep the door sill clean :)
6. The antenna ticks off all hanging exit signs in Malls & office parking lots.
7. Water splashes over the windshield if you hit a big puddle at speed, this is an issue in vehicles with short overhangs no doubt, but I keep the wiper on at such instances to take care of it.
8. A 70\80 Litre fuel tank would have been nice, right now its 60, that gives it a good range but bigger is better in here.
Missing rear fog lamp.
9. No AC vents in the last set of seats.

So now for some mode details.

Day 1.
Our car plan was top secret, noone knew this at home except me and my Wife, needless to say not everyone was pleasantly surprised. "Scorpio is very rough, used in the hills", "too big for you", "Its bigger than your dad`s vehicle", "No mileage", "Expensive to maintain", "is it a Sumo?", "Nice Van".

Here is a picture I took with my then Blackberry Z10, some filter was applied for no joy.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-pb-day-1-black.jpg

People checking out the vehicle in our apartment parking, Mahindra is not a brand that city folks are familiar with, XUV has changed that a bit now. The third row was 'Cute' and the younglings loved it to bits.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-pb-day-1-white.jpg

So how is it? Lets see.

Mhawk Engine!.

Here it is after 5 years and 70,000 Kms. Its dry-cleaned once in a month, makes it easy for service personnel to spot any leaks \ issues.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-mhawk-engine.jpg

The yellow caps are stuff you should probably keep an eye on regularly.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-mhawk-yellow-caps.jpg

This is where all your money is spent, body on frame construction is there from the time of an OX cart, the only modern bit here is this engine and that is money well spent. Its happy when you are at 20Kmph, its happy when its at 150kmph as well, it plays along nicely no matter what you want to do. The pace at which it gathers speed from a standstill, as well as within the same gear is remarkable. Highway overtaking - a bit more A- pedal and its done. I think it can use a 6th gear , perhaps.

If you are comparing power and torque figures online to zero in on your vehicle, too bad, this one will not have the big numbers there. Out on the road, its relentless, the variable geometry turbo is happy to oblige. Hills? It can climb up plenty of slopes on idle in first gear, hair pins need gear 1 in very few instances, but I would rather shift down than burn my clutch. In extreme traffic, it becomes difficult to balance it on the throttle in 1st gear, bit jumpy there in comparison to say the CRDe in Thar, my guess is its the VGT that is doing that.

How about engine maintenance? During the first service, 1 Vacuum modulator was replaced FOC and later at 62K Kms another one was replaced at a cost of ~2K as the old one was vibrating a bit. This is not something that will leave you stranded on the road, however the modulator controls EGR, if it fails, the engine will start to smoke a bit, pickup will reduce and oil gets contaminated faster.

So we have the engine bits covered.

Drinking habits are ~ 10 in the city and ~11-12 highways. Certainly not the vehicle you buy for lowest cost of travel.

The battery was working as good as new even after 5 years, however I never had any battery that worked beyond 3-4 years, so I replaced it with another Amaron before it had a chance to go bad.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20191116_140446.jpg

The clutch was replaced after 62K Kms, it did not slip, however it was giving me the first signs of wear with an occasional shudder, I did not want to wait for it to fail and it was replaced this year. It costed 19K INR, including, master, slave cylinder, clutch kit - Flywheel was good, but in hindsight I should have replaced the flywheel as well, would have made it just that one bit more smooth.

The air intake snakes it way ahead of the radiator and draws air from the front grill, shielded by a metal sheet against water splashes , cold air intake kits anyone? No need. Water wading depth is decent, Just above the bumper height is fine. All aftermarket relays are therefore mounted above this height with necessary inline fuse.

The Exterior Bits!

The paint quality is pretty good it remains fresh if you do not wash it every time with water, it had scratches here and there and we did paint the front bumper corners twice, one front quarter panel, one rear quarter panel, rear bumper is new as there was a hole in it after some idiot crashed into it with his pickup truck, before this the rear bumper was painted twice to remove the scratches. I can safely say that painting costs were more than its mechanical maintenance costs.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-paint-side.jpg

The car was cleaned with water (bucket) during its first year only, afterwards its all Proklear! It works and how. I do use a cream polish once in 6 months or a year to keep things fresh. It has been to a car wash maybe 5-6 times overall in these years, this includes whatever free wash that service centers used to provide.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-pb-basement-corner.jpg

The body panels are strong enough, no waviness, even on the plastic cladding, everything fits where it should be. No visible dents except the bonnet and the roof, the vehicle is parked sometimes under a really tall tree that likes to bomb the vehicle with branches and those seeds, some bigger than others.

You can sit on the bonnet Indeed, you can climb on the roof, you can stand on the side steps, you can stand on the front bumper and the back bumper.

The Mahindra monogram above the door handle on the left is a new addition, earlier it was tucked away behind the rear footstep on the old style bumper.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-pb-basement-rear.jpg

The front bumper has metal behind the plastic (just like rear) cover and has just 4 bolts for easy removal, much like Jeeps. The side bits of the front bumper where it usually takes scratches are replaceable at less than ~ 200 INR + painting.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-side-steps-black.jpg

The side steps are aluminium, however in the refresh version they come black powder coated. It has stayed in good shape, all be it with a few dents on the bottom due to some rough terrain, it protects and keeps the running board clean and free from tar spots.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-door-seal-ground-clearance.jpg

The door seals, as you can see in the picture are old, I have replaced them this week for all doors, costs 5K INR.

Ground clearance is good, the important bits are located far away from where the terrain can do much damage, wherever a 2WD would venture to go. It sure has been to plenty of rough terrain, wherever momentum and power would suffice has been explored.

[b]Wheels & Tyres - 235 width is sufficient, This is the third set of tire and third set of wheel as well. The first was the steel wheel & plastic caps from the factory, then it received Neo Wheels claw along with the stock JK Elanzo.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-valparai-alloys.jpg

This setup was later replaced with JK Ranger ATs of the same size on the same wheels. The stock JKs had a few surface cracks, though JK technicians inspected it and said its safe to use, they also offered a warranty replacement at very attractive cost, so went for it. Currently the JK Ranger ATs along with the NeoWheels Claw are used in a different vehicle and I have taken the new Bridgestone Dueler D689 along with a new set of Onyx alloys for Polar Bear. Seems to like this new looks, white body and black wheels offer a good contrast according to the artist cousin of mine.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-tyre-wheels.jpg

The NeoWheels claw is 6.5 J, same as OEM but the offset is negative and brings the tyres flush with the fenders, looks cool, the steering kickback on bad roads will increase.

The current Onyx is 8J, slightly wider, however the steering is relative more stable and the Bridgestone is what VLX comes with, its really the best tyre for the vehicle among them all, It has been there since more than a year now and has seen plenty of bad terrain. With alloys you do have to check for the occasional loose lug nuts if you have NOT used a torque wrench, the specs are different for steel as well as aluminium wheels, 95nm & 105nm IIRC.

The looks :

I hated it when it launched, I did not like it even when I booked it - My dad used to like the way it looks as did many other elders and even my wife too. Something is working there, over the years I have realized that its styled to look good in your rear view mirror rather than on your face. I drive all kinds of vehicles everyday, thanks to a dozen car guys among my friend circle, when it comes to road presence, a clean white Scorpio has not much competition.

The brakes :

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-img_20191116_152411.jpg

Slotted rotors and ABS, works well , If you do not have the habit of using the gears to slow down under normal circumstances, expect the brake pads to wear out within 20K Kms. I`m on my second set, I have to replace this in the next 10K Kms as per the technician. Maybe if the slots are flattened by that time, i`ll replace both rotors as well. Brake fluids were replaced at 35K and also the last service at 70K, a bit ahead of the schedule, but brakes feel brand new.

A Vacuum modulator for brake was replaced FOC during a recall in its first year, later at 62K I got it replaced as the modulator for EGR was on its way out, I figured well this one too will start to vibrate soon, its like a warning that its on its way out soon. There are some tubes for the modulators too that needs to be replaced , costs INR 800 IIRC.

It has ABS, it kicked in several times over slippery terrain, I drive fast however not like a maniac to engage ABS over normal roads. Speaking of ABS, one ABS sensor was replaced in the second year while the vehicle was in warranty - cost INR 1600, I was not charged anything though, comforting to know that these bits will fail eventually and wont cost a bomb when they do!

Suspension :

With a tall body (its taller than most passenger vehicles on the road) and short wheelbase, its hardly a recipe for comfort \ handling, but all is not lost. Some serious work has gone into the suspension bits. Snapshot handling on highways during lane changes - Check. Run over speed breakers and rumblers at speeds? Check.

Ride is soft, you always know what you are rolling over but the low frequency boom that you feel in cars is not there, its nicely rounded off and you always feel that you are separated from the road , makes it great for traveling long distances in comfort.

It is a water tanker for those who graduated from a low slung sedan like Esteem, I felt WagonR was a truck when I first drove it, because I grew up driving the '95 Esteem, everything else was like a truck!

I have figured out how to drive Polar bear, You shed speed before the curve, accelerate out of it , need to always watch the weight transfer and it rewards you by rolling over everything at whatever speed you choose.This does not mean you can drive like a maniac, if you do, then your second row passengers will throw up all over. It makes you a better driver over time.

Suspension dampers have not leaked anywhere yet, I do however think that oils filled in dampers will break down overtime and maybe once the odo reaches 80K ,I may replace them. For now, its holding the road well.

There was a crack in one of the front roll bar bushes around 50K Kms, so replaced them both at INR 300, also while we were at it, there was a crack on the rubber boot of one of the upper ball joints, so replaced that as well INR 800 IIRC.

Every service , they check all the bits underneath, torque them as well.

Headlights & others-

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-headlights.jpg

They are stock, made by Lumax they use the stock wattage of 60/55, I never had an issue with the light output, they are the best among all vehicles I have had as well as driven so far(Stock). I did once use a set of Extreme Vision plus whatever, it lasted all of 4 months and boom, no low beam on one side. Then I was using essential vision for sometime, I change them once in 4-6 months or so, whenever I think it has done 200 hours. Nowadays its running Philips premium vision 60/55 which I think is the same Essential vision in a different box, anyhow it costs INR ~ 110 and is perfect. There is no yellowing \ fading of the headlights at all, and I had got it aligned at the dealership twice over these years with their OEM chart. Costs about ~ 340 INR for that IIRC. I do not use the high beam on others, even if someone else is coming with high beams blazing, the tall seating of Scorpio sort of keeps you out of the hot spot of their high beam most of the time. The low beam has good spread and reach, it can manage most situations except high speed cruising at night.

Follow me home function is present, I cancel it every time by switching the parking lights on and then off. This function though useful in dark places, i`m worried about its effect on battery`s long term health.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-getting-lights.jpg

So what about all those Aux lights? Just for Kicks. My Wife wanted to have all that stuff and therefore. Earlier it used to have LEDs even on the roof, although it was never used even in highways, our cops asked us to remove it , so its gone and now replaced with a set of Hella 700FF with covers.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-hella-700ff.jpg

I do not use it (Hella) at all on any night drives, its purpose is to fill the empty clamps that were on the bumper. When properly focused along the high beam`s hot spot, Hella 700FF works a treat.

Fog lamps : It uses a 35W H8 Osram bulb, I use this very rarely and its super expensive to replace. I got one replaced during the second year free of cost, but its retail price was ~ INR 800. This fog lamp is really good for its intended purpose, it has saved us from having to park the vehicle on the side of the mountain roads and wait for the rain & fog to go away plenty of times. There are times, where I had to drive with only this one switched on during think fog.

The seats :

The are of course plenty tall from the ground. 7 of them in all. This is a vehicle where you sit on it, rather than in it. Visibility is superb for everyone.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-seats-ground.jpg

The seat base is deep, it covers all the way to your knee joint supporting the weight properly. Its the deepest of such seats available, everyone is trimming the seat base to give more visual legroom.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-seat-base.jpg

Seat base in the refresh model has excellent under-thigh support, it takes the weight off your buttocks if you sit properly.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-seat-full.jpg

The armrest is useful, overall its a comfortable place to sit. The seat fabric has survived 5 years without any complaints, I prefer this to plastic \ leather seat covers as your back wont sweat.

The rear seat situation, the stuff of nightmares as per many.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-rear-seat-full.jpg

Its not what you call a bucket seat, its more of a comfy bench seat, like you would get in a comfy bus. You see this is not an 8 Seater and therefore there is plenty of room in the second row. The seats are wide enough for three adults to sit even if they do not know each other at all. The seat base much like the front seats are very deep, provides full under-thigh support, sure its comfortable as long as the driver is not a maniac. We go out of town every few weeks and easily the most preferred vehicle for everyone on long trips. We also use all the seats at least twice a month, joint family apartment setup means everyone is around all the time, its fun.

Rear bench seats folds over to provide more cargo room, however it does not fold flat into the floor. We have used its cargo capacity to the fullest during certain weddings as well as transporting relief materials during the Kerala Floods. It can carry a full size bicycle as well.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-rear-seat-base.jpg

The Guard seat \ Jump seats

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-jump-seats.jpg

I had initially thought of getting rid of them reading the reviews about how cramped the second row is, but to my surprise the second row has plenty of leg room, certainly not as much as XUV but enough for people of our size 5-8 to 5-10. So the small seats stayed there, our daughter was super excited that she would get her own seat, and she can get her favorite family members to sit opposite to her.

Luggage Space

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-luggage-spaces.jpg

Plentiful if there is only 5 \ 6. We do use all the 7 seats few times a month. On longer distance travel soft bags are packed around and under the jump seats. Since they are usually one night stay over, the luggage is taken care of easily. However if there is 7 adults and we need to carry multiple days worth luggage, a roof bag is a must. I have not ordered one yet. Usually there is a convoy, so we`ll put the bags in some other car.

Carpets

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-carpets.jpg

I like the feeling of stepping into a soft plush carpet, so fabric mats from Elegant is what the car came with from the showroom, On its 5th year I replaced it with an identical set , costs INR 3490, its worth it. Elegant guys are very responsive on Whatsapp \ online, you can transfer the money over and place the order. I clean them every week with a brush, maybe once in 6 months with shampoo, it dries over night on a clothes line, the boot mat is rather huge, its still the original one, I do have a replacement one sitting in the shelf, someday I shall replace it.

Door Cards

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-door-cars.jpg

The looks silly with the tiny cellphone holder, the bottle holder is useful. Overall there are provision for around 8 bottles all around. There is soft fabric where your elbow hits the door card, its alright, wears well.

Notable mention is the Power windows, they are temperamental if not used once in a while. During the first service they had replaced both of them, funny we did not even know that they had some problem. The fix for this problem is simple, pull them up and down once in a few days. Else give it a hard knock from the inside and it works just as well.

Cabin Lights

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-cabin-light-front.jpg

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-cabin-light-rear.jpg

The one in the front is fancy (relatively) the swiveling map lights are useful, they dim slowly and stays on for a while during locking and unlocking. The one in the rear is a normal one, there is adequate lighting. I have not changed it to LED, the warmth of these bulbs along with beige interiors is nice.

Switch Gear & Meter console

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-meter-console.jpg

The meter console is very ordinary, the VLX gets a whole host of stuff, automatic lights, automatic wipers, TPMS, Cruise control - the works. This one gets - Nothing. It looks alright, I may need to replace the bulb that illuminates the console, its becoming a bit dim.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-power-window-controls.jpg

They are where you expect it to be, the wiper stalk is the opposite of Tata. You pull up for single wipe and so on. The Switches are back-lit, even on the rear. The headlight leveler too is back-lit.

End of Part 1. @GTO , BlackPearl and ChiragM , thanks for the encouragement.

The AC

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-ac-vents-front..jpg

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-ac-controls-rear.jpg

While the Bolero takes the cake for the best AC in the Utilitarian segment, this one is adequate for the job. In Bangalore its almost always running on AC Low and fan position 1. Hotter cities like Kochi \ Vijayawada needs Fan 2 and AC High. All vents can be closed, the vents in the rear is useful to second row but it takes a few minutes for the rear jump seats to cool down. They should have provided AC vents there, my plan of fitting an aftermarket blower there has not materialized yet.

There is a cabin filter, its made by Purolator and is changed every 10K Kms.

The Stereo or the lack of it.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-stereo.jpg

The vehicle did not come with a stereo, it did have one speaker on the driver door to announce all kinds of stuff. I wanted something that has a big knob in the middle for volume for easy reach and bluetooth. Pioneer was preferred because, I`ve always had pioneers in all the previous vehicles. This one along with a set of JVC components came in at ~ 11K in 2014. It sounds good for rock and roll, country music etc, whatever I listen to.

The HU seems a bit misaligned of late, I guess I should source an OEM unit and fit it some day. Interestingly Pioneer allows you to dial in the similar color of the other back-lit buttons on the dash. Leave that setting to auto and it will start to look like a circus tent with all kinds of colors flashing randomly.

Attachment 1943815

The rear speaker grills are above the rear windshield, the sound effect is alright, non offensive.

It takes calls, the big call button and volume knob is convenient to use. The bluetooth works with Google assistant & Android auto App without any delay.

Thanks for reading so far. Lets get into some more details.

How about Maintenance? Is it expensive?

Well, that depends - If you are going to stick to regular mechanical maintenance, it isn't expensive. Parts are fairly cheap and readily available.
I haven't really had any use of that 4 year extended warranty, nothing broke out of the ordinary. There are parts that I have replaced a bit ahead of its life time as I want the vehicle to feel like its new and considering we travel on a short notice, I maintain it as good as it can be - that involves some painting once in a while which can add to the expense. It is on its third right side rear view mirror (Bangalore Traffic) for instance, it costs about INR 2800 as it has a motor inside.

Is it reliable?

Maybe too early to say, what I can say is that we have driven it for long periods of time with tachometer at the top of its range when we were in a hurry. It stays cool and does not drink oil, there is no noticeable difference in performance or fuel efficiency after 70K kms.

Engine Oil

The Maximile made by Valvoline-Cummins, OEM for Mahindra, its cheap, has a service life of 20K Kms, however I change it around between 10 & 12 K or whenever it goes for scheduled service.

Cleaning Supplies

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-proklear.jpg

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-cif.jpg

This is it, nothing fancy! I do not vacuum clean the car that often, maybe once a year. I do however brush the floor, the seats etc. I take all the carpets out and clean them as well every week. The exterior is rinseless washed once a week, may be a light dusting with a microfiber towel if its too dusty after a few days.

I do use probably twice a year, a cream polish of some kind, Waxpol \ Formula 1 etc to clear all those bug splatter etc.

Thanks for reading, now onto why this car`s worth the time & effort.

Me and our family was going through a rough time, we managed to get ahead of our troubles and wanted to use out new found happiness and enthusiasm to explore the surroundings, travel and have fun. The vehicle purchase was a sign of our confidence, it carried it well, respectfully and therefore we keep it clean and well maintained all the time. It took us to all kinds of rough places, floods, rains and brought us back home safely, a gentle pat at the dash just before you pull the key out after a long drive , yes I do that too. As a family, we have not taken a single bus \ train \ flight anywhere after this arrived, it has been road trips all the way!

We like to see some new places and its often the bad roads that lead to good places, this for example is a jeep track but doable in 2WD Scorp with some momentum to help. I came down the slope in reverse to ensure that I can go back up there.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-rough-track.jpg

We go to such places to explore and enjoy places like this.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-landscape..jpg

and this

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-valparai.jpg

Getting chased by elephants in Jungle 3 times, despite our best measures to avoid such conflicts.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-top-slip-elephant-1.jpg
Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-top-slip-elephant-2.jpg

Now the big question, Is it an SUV?

Nope! Its just a Scorpio. Its a basic vehicle for those who are looking for something that keeps going when the going gets tough and then get back on the road , fly through highways and reach home as if nothing happened.

Nothing else will do! Here is Polar Bear signing off with a picture from Bandipur - Gopalaswamy Betta road.

Back to basics! 5 years with a Mahindra Scorpio EDIT: Now sold!-gopalswami-betta.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Long-term Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 4708431)
Me and our family was going through a rough time, we managed to get ahead of our troubles and wanted to use out new found happiness and enthusiasm to explore the surroundings, travel and have fun. The vehicle purchase was a sign of our confidence, it carried it well, respectfully and therefore we keep it clean and well maintained all the time. It took us to all kinds of rough places, floods, rains and brought us back home safely, a gentle pat at the dash just before you pull the key out after a long drive , yes I do that too. As a family, we have not taken a single bus \ train \ flight anywhere after this arrived, it has been road trips all the way!

Now the big question, Is it an SUV?

Nope! Its just a Scorpio. Its a basic vehicle for those who are looking for something that keeps going when the going gets tough and then get back on the road , fly through highways and reach home as if nothing happened.

Nothing else will do! Here is Polar Bear signing off with a picture from Bandipur - Gopalaswamy Betta road.

A well written review, that I completely agree with. Quoted the parts that appealed the most to me, and one we experienced as well during our ownership journey with the Scorpio. Link to review : Scorpio ownership review

Looking forward to more on the ownership experience.

Quote:

The AC

This shows the spirit of both yourself and the vehicle, kudos.

Me and my mom are huge fans of Scorpio right from the day of launch and this review reinforced my decision to pick this as my next car

Wish you many more miles to go !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 4708805)
This shows the spirit of both yourself and the vehicle, kudos.

Me and my mom are huge fans of Scorpio right from the day of launch and this review reinforced my decision to pick this as my next car

Wish you many more miles to go !

Many thanks Sk8r.

We picked up one more Scorpio in 2016 (S6+)!! This time for my Dad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 4708789)
A well written review, that I completely agree with. Quoted the parts that appealed the most to me, and one we experienced as well during our ownership journey with the Scorpio. Link to review : Scorpio ownership review

Looking forward to more on the ownership experience.

If my wife and salesman had not had their way, I would have had an Lx as well!!

I hope you have found another Bocchio, as you said, it's a character. Mahindra's coffee table book calls it the bully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4708739)
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Long-term Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Many thanks again GTO.

Quote:

Well said! In a nutshell, those are my thoughts about my Scorpio too.

While reading your review, it felt like I was writing mine all over again - the only difference being you have expressed yourself far better than I could :D

Wish you a million miles of safe & happy ownership!

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 4708968)
Well said! In a nutshell, those are my thoughts about my Scorpio too.

While reading your review, it felt like I was writing mine all over again - the only difference being you have expressed yourself far better than I could :D

Wish you a million miles of safe & happy ownership!

Cheers,
Vikram

Dear Vikram, I somehow missed reading about Scout, I know a few of them by name like Hariya for instance. Its comforting to know that you`ve got 9 years under the belt, Awesome! The places that Scout has taken you is a testament that few things man made appeals to us humans as automobiles.

How is the scout running with Yokohama`s? I may need a tire change sometime next year for my other vehicle with the same tire size. I have this phobia about rubber turning into magic dust and vanishing into thin air after 4 years!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 4709066)
How is the scout running with Yokohama`s? I may need a tire change sometime next year for my other vehicle with the same tire size. I have this phobia about rubber turning into magic dust and vanishing into thin air after 4 years!!

So far, so good! It's been just a bit over 4 years (but only 26k kms) since I changed to Yokos, and am pretty happy with them. No punctures, no uneven wear, good grip in dry and wet conditions - touch wood! Now that you've mentioned it, I guess I'll need to check how hard the rubber has become, even though the tread depth is still okay.

Lovely review, crisp and to the point! Shows how much love your Scorpio has got over the last 5 years. I wanted to buy a Scorpio LX 4x4 in 2012 when I got the Bolero, but the price difference between the two was quite a lot. Though I don't regret the decision, I think we would not have bought the Thar in 2014 if we had got a Scorpio instead of the Bolero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 4707998)
4. Bolero VLX - ....... somehow it appeals to women

This is not true :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 4709412)
I wanted to buy a Scorpio LX 4x4 in 2012 when I got the Bolero, but the price difference between the two was quite a lot. Though I don't regret the decision, I think we would not have bought the Thar in 2014 if we had got a Scorpio instead of the Bolero.

I too was interested in Lx, my reason included the fact that LX looked less fat with stock wheels (no plastic cladding on the sides) and of course 4X4! Like you I would not have probably got a Thar if I already have a 4X4, Phew!

2014 Thar got me into the Showroom, it took 4 more years before I could get one home, now that is some waiting.

Jeep is yet to earn its place though, it for now gets everything handed down from Scorpio - Tyres, Wheels, Carpets, Phone chargers, holders etc.

Scheduled Maintenance & Others.

I have realized that its cheap to maintain a vehicle just by changing consumables, oil, filters etc. However, our usage demands that the vehicle feels like it has just left the showroom, it has earned it.

While Hyundai maybe the pioneer of value added services during scheduled maintenance, others have now caught up. I have noted some names within the dealerships who gives everything a good once over whenever it enters their place.

Some things that I follow.

0. Be respectful, Be open - Let them know what you expect. They are professionals, we just need to treat them that way.

1. Tuesday through Friday are the least crowded days and you get the best of their time. Weekends are meant for IT guys who give the vehicle for servicing as a ritual (not my words). Week days usually have business folks, farmers etc, people who will give them an earful and more if something is not done properly.

2. Reach the dealership as it opens, at 9:00 AM. First come, first serve, technicians are fresh. They have all the time.

3. Make sure the car is clean when it arrives in the dealership, inside out and even the engine bay.You give it clean, chances are that they take more care to keep it that way and tell them not to wash as well. Let then know that all glass needs to be up and interior needs to remain dust free. There will be grease marks somewhere or the other, its just the way it is.

4. Make sure there is enough fuel in the car, Not on reserve please. They idle the car with all electrical stuff on for 15 minutes after the service to check for leaks, alternator, battery etc.

5. A test drive is supposed to happen before and after the service, insist on it.

6. Insist on being able to see the car when its being serviced, insist on making sure every single 'I' , 'R', 'A' (Adjust) is taken care of as per schedule. Avoid all value added stuff.

7. Insist on senior technicians to work on your vehicle, an available choice if you arrive early. Insist on a senior test drive \ quality check supervisor to verify if everything is alright.

8. Tell the adviser \ technician to let you know if anything needs to be changed \ replaced out of the maintenance schedule, rubber bits \ clamps etc can deteriorate over time, especially if they have come in contact with something corrosive.

9. Spare no expense! The vehicle costed us INR 11L & some in 2014, expecting it to be cheap as an INR 5L vehicle is probably not a good idea.

10. If something is broken, fix it today \ tomorrow, do not wait for next service. Take the SA`s phone number, send him a picture of the broken bit, ask him to order it ahead of your arrival there.

11. Unless there is some extensive body work that needs wait times, do not leave your vehicle out of your sight. A clutch replacement is done under two hours, a bumper is replaced and painted within 3 hours including the drying time, sanding , all of that.

12. Do not take the old parts home, its better recycled or disposed off at the dealer than making your vehicle dirty and then your home.

Credits - Guys who take care of Polar Bear like their own.

1. Satish - Former Service Manager at Sireesh auto & then in SVR Mahindra. Now in Ford.

2. Sheshaprasad (Prasad) - Most senior manager / Director of service at Sireesh Auto, now located in Singasandra.

3. Sudhakar - Service manager who replaced Satish, used to be in JP nagar Sireesh, everything can be done under two hours there when this guy is around. Now in HSR as body shop manager, still helps me with certain things, say I needed an electrician to fit some aux lights etc.

4. Reddy - He was the master painter in Sireesh Auto, he is from Hosur and was working as a hobby, now retired. He told me never to wash the car - I followed him.

5. Santosh - Technician who now moved onto XUV series of vehicles, still as an exception services my Scorpio. Now in Sireesh Auto Singasandra, earlier in JP nagar. Very experienced guy, goes the extra mile to ensure things stay in top shape.

6. Dhananjay - Technician as well as test drive evaluator, now in Sireesh Auto Singasandra. Has an ear for noises, a seat bolt here, a misaligned door there, all fixed.

7. Suresh - Ananth Cars Bannergatta road, this guy is the current master painter, the finish is like factory!

8. Prasanna - SA - earlier in Sireesh, now in Anant Cars , knows my expectations and ensures everything is in top shape.

9. Murali - SA - Formerly in SKS, now in Sireesh Singasandra, met him for the first time during the service last week, courteous , attentive and values your time. Gets me the right folks to get everything done.

10. Nethaji - This guy needs special mention, He is a Gulf veteran, speaks all languages, used to be in Silkboard Sireesh and now in Singasandra Sireesh, he took me for a test drive during the first service - I remember it well, came back and asked for a bunch of things to be inspected and adjusted.

Last week during its service, we went out for a test drive, at some silly speeds there is a wind noise. I dismissed this as bling covers that are on the side mirrors, however Nethaji told me that front quarter panel is misaligned. Came back to the garage, realigned the quarter panel and problem solved.

11. Mr. Poviah - Area sales manager for JK tyres. (From Coorg, Yes I asked him if he is aware of our Roshun in the forum). Sent me a technician to Inspect the tires in 2 hours of sending an email!! Now that`s some customer service there, his recommendation of replacement tire has held on very well, Ranger ATs.

12. Vinod - Vijay Wheel alignment JP Nagar. Back in the days, they used to drive it first, check the alignment on the machine, make adjustments and then drive again, repeat etc. These days the 3d machine operators can only adjust Toe-in \ out angles, the rest they leave it wherever it is.

Vinod is old school and very thorough, they use an old style gauge, no machines here. Multiple test drives later, you now have a vehicle that will hold its line no matter what speed, makes travel that much effortless.

I have missed many names, I do not remember all of them but I recognize them when I meet them.

There are plenty of small things like this that can make a car feel old, it needs some care to ensure that an old car feels brand new. These are some of the people who keeps it tight.

Thanks for reading, and if you think Its time for T-BHP stickers on the vehicle now that I have contributed something meaningful to read, let me know please.

@Kosfactor-: Awesome Long term report of one of my fav SUVs. I ended up with a XUV5OO though. Thanks for the list of people who has worked with you on your Polar Bear.

I too take my vehicle to Sireesh, Singasandra. Will try to get the same folks to attend to mine. And hopefully, we catch up during one of the services. I too take mine mid-week and stay there the whole day. I work in IT and take a day off for service and I really enjoy the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish3 (Post 4709730)
@Kosfactor-: Awesome Long term report of one of my fav SUVs. I ended up with a XUV5OO though. Thanks for the list of people who has worked with you on your Polar Bear.

I too take my vehicle to Sireesh, Singasandra. Will try to get the same folks to attend to mine. And hopefully, we catch up during one of the services. I too take mine mid-week and stay there the whole day. I work in IT and take a day off for service and I really enjoy the day.

Thanks bud! Santosh is trained by Mahindra to work on XUV 5OO & 3OO, he can pull the entire top half of an XUV engine in no time :)

Me too work in IT, I take a day off or go a bit late to work on that day, Its alright to spend a day or two in a year for a car. I do end up going several times a year since.. Well a scratch here, a broken mirror there etc.

Sireesh in JP nagar was my go to place earlier , now that one is shut down, the silk board one made way for Metro rail. Singasandra is not a convenient place to go from Jayanagar, but now all the right people are there and that is an incentive for me to go there.

Hey, wonderful write up mate. I really enjoyed reading through and I felt like a part of your ownership. TBH I'm more of a sedan guy but I will have to admit that Scorpio in white used to be my teenage dream, specially with that checkered flag stickers it used to come with.