Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2020, 22:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.35.34-am.jpeg

A big shoutout to bhpian blackwasp for this pic

JULY 2019

We had a 2007 Toyota Corolla Petrol which we had picked up in 2015. The car had just crossed the 100k KMs mark. It was comfortable, reliable and fast. The only issue was that it was a petrol car and we couldn’t take the Figo everywhere as its ground clearance was very less. Corolla had been to a lot of off-beaten places. It was going good but our usage was increasing and I am not too fond of CNG/LPG especially when I can not refill it beyond 250 KMs in any direction from Pune. Carrying dead weight made no sense. We were considering replacing it with a new Crysta AT. There were 3 major issues- The 8 seater AT was only available in the G variant, It was too big and spending 20 lakhs right away was a Lil dicey as my dad was in two minds if he wanted to continue working in India or go back to Bahrain. So I had then decided to look for an Old Innova or a Škoda Superb TDi AT. In the meantime, I was barely using the Corolla. I had to go to Ahmednagar to pick my grandmother which is when I drove it after a long time. I realized its super practical and till I come across something decent let’s keep using it.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-12.18.50-pm.jpeg
The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-12.18.51-pm.jpeg

Our Toyota Corolla

SEPTEMBER 2019

Fellow bhpian Swanand Inamdar had moved to the US sometime back but I used to spot his Škoda Laura being driven by his dad at times. I came to know through a fellow bhpian that he was planning to get a small AT hatch and sell off the Laura. I decided to check it out and found it decent for family use. Decided to show it to my dad and he liked it too. Fellow Bhpian Monaro CV8 helped me with the negotiations with Swanand’s dad. Sushant from The Mechanix Automotive had already worked on the car so I knew what had to be done.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.32.55-am-1.jpeg

The Škoda Laura along with the Corolla

Some basic details about the car- 2010 Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Ambient MT done around 122k KMs. Right now the car has done around 133k KMs.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.32.56-am.jpeg

The first pic after the car was picked up and was being sent to The Mechanix Automotive

I had also driven a Jetta just a few weeks before checking the Laura out. The Jetta was amazing but the biggest issue I had was with the ground clearance. We as a family love long trips and we carry loads of luggage. With 4 people on board and 3 bags in the boot, The Jetta managed to scrape on the speed breakers. We already have a Figo with GC issues at home and having one more car with low GC made no sense.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.07-am-1.jpeg

No roads? No problem. That is our family farm near Amalner in North Maharashtra

The Laura felt like a perfect stop-gap arrangement till the uncertainties with respect to my dad’s workplace and retirement would settle down. Our Corolla was put up for sale but I had to deal with a lot of idiots through OLX. The Laura in the meantime was picked up before Navratri and handed over to the team at The Mechanix Automotive. It was once again thoroughly checked. The suspension and clutch were done not a long time ago. The timing belt and water pump were stock and AC was acting up at times. Laura’s are known for a problematic AC so I spoke to Sushant and got the timing kit, water pump and full AC overhaul done. Denting and Painting were done 5 panels and the work done was very good. Finally, we took delivery on Dussehra.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.32.55-am.jpeg
The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.32.56-am-1.jpeg

On the D-day

Exterior

I like the design. The front looks elegant and much much better than the pre-facelift quirky Laura. The rear and side profile has the right amount of curves and straight lines. It has some cues from the mk1 Octavia which I have always loved.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.09-am.jpeg
The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-3.24.25-pm.jpeg

The design is proportionate and doesn't feel outdated

Interior

Talking about the space, The front two seats are amazing and the lumbar support makes long drives really good. The rear seat has good cushioning but my mom always complains that the legroom was much better in the Corolla. The in/egress to the rear seat is a bit uncomfortable for the elderly as the rear door design is a but extended at the centre. The dashboard quality is good and the armrest in the Laura is usable, unlike the horrible armrest in the Corolla which was good for nothing. Bottle holders are spot on and the centre console has enough space to keep mobiles and keys. I had got the seat covers replaced and floor lamination is done. The only reason why my mom likes the laura is because of its boot space. Recently during a family trip, we were able to put in close to 11 bags in the Laura. The boot is simply amazing.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-1.46.50-pm.jpeg

The interior layout and quality are impressive. Badly needs a stereo upgrade.

Engine and Gearbox

I drove the stock car for barely 1k KMs before getting it remapped. The gearbox is smooth. Now coming to the engine, The stock car was average. I mean it was linear, didn’t feel underpowered but it had to be pushed to get the power out. Love the gearbox, Ratios are pretty good for a 5-MT. 100kmph comes just under 2000 RPM. It's actually perfect for our driving conditions as I have to only downshift on the highways if the speeds drop below 55kmph. The gates are well defined and its fun to use when driving aggressively.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.32.58-am-1.jpeg

Remap

I had informed the Wolf team well in advance that I needed to get this car remapped asap. When they were in town, I got the car Remapped. After the first map, we didn’t find any significant difference. Sushant spoke to Srikanth and Rajiv had sent in another map. Now for the first time, I saw the traction control light flashing. The map was updated again and is awaiting one more update with respect to the low end. The mid-range is brutal. Even on the move in 2nd and 3rd gear, it is easy to get the wheels spinning and the TC light flashing. The car can reach unmentionable speeds in no time. Basically I don’t have to push the car now, it picks up the pace with ease. The torque surge is simply amazing. The low end feels a Lil weak, I have spoken to Srikanth and they will be working on it whenever they are in town.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200425-8.19.29-pm.jpeg
The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.05-am.jpeg

Got the car debadged after I installed the Wolf monogram. Just the Škoda logo, LTD sticker and the Wolf monogram.

Fuel Efficiency

This car’s FE puts our Figo to shame. Where the Figo struggles to reach 20kmpl, I can easily get 20-22kmpl from the Laura during highway drives. The highest FE I have seen is 27.2 km and lowest has to be 12.5kmpl. In general, we get 13-15kmpl in the city and when the car is pushed during highways drives, we get anywhere between 16-18kmpl. If driven sedately the MID is always above 20kmpl.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-3.24.26-pm.jpeg
The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-3.24.25-pm-1.jpeg

Incredible FE and tank range

Suspension

One word- Fantastic. The ride quality, especially at speeds excess of 60kmph, is simply brilliant. The balanced suspension and the rear multi-link setup make long journeys very smooth. The car came with 195/65 R15 Yokohama Earth1s. After the remap the car needed 205s. The 205/60 were actually reducing the GC which is why I decided to get the 205/65 R15. I wanted the Conti MC5s but they weren’t available which is why I went ahead with Hankook Kinergy. Now I know the GC has increased and this size makes it SUVish but honestly it has been pure bliss when the car is fully loaded out on the highways. The primary purpose of the car is to keep accommodate our luggage and keep my family comfortable. The added GC makes things easy. When I replace the tyres next time, I will be upgrading the rims to 16 inchers. The stiff suspension makes sure that the car never scrapes on speed breakers even under load.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.05-am-1.jpeg

Close to 11 bags stuffed in the boot

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.06-am.jpeg

No rear sagging in spite of 11 bags in the boot

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.35.32-am.jpeg

Airport luggage? No problem.

Upgrades & Running repairs

1. Seat covers and floor lamination done at Car Cupid, Pune.
2. Wolfmoto remap.
3. Tyres upgraded to 205/65 R15
4. Enabling DRLs, Cornering lamp function, changing the lane change blinker flashes from 3 to 5 & low wiper fluid indicator.
5. Timing kit and water pump replacement.
6. Complete AC overhaul

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.02-am.jpeg

At the tiger point with Bhpian johannskaria & blackwasp when he was reviewing the ugly Spresso

Pending things

1. Headlight bulbs upgrade.
2. Stereo upgrade.
3. There is a whistling noise when the car is anywhere between 100-125kmph. It disappears when the driver side window is rolled down or when the car is driven above 125kmph for some time and speed is reduced. I have eliminated all possibilities and it boils down to the window beading. Will check it after the lockdown.
4. The speedo needle’s light has some issue. It flickers at times. I know it’s a common issue with the instrument cluster of the Laura. The mid displays the speed so I will get it done when the car is sent for some major work. Till then it isn’t something alarming and can be ignored.
5. I frequently do Nasik and Mumbai trips. Having a cruise control set at 80-90kmph would make the drive relaxed. Adding CC is on cards too.

Comparison
Where does the Corolla trump the Laura-

1. The rear seat- It can seat 3 comfortably, the legroom is massive and in/egress is much easier than the Laura and no transmission hump.
2. The low-end torque is very impressive. Corolla made me lazy, I rarely had to downshift. I am waiting for the new tweak by the Wolfmoto team, maybe that can enhance the low end in the Laura.
3. Reliability- I never had to worry about the water pump, AC.etc. in the Corolla. It was one reliable workhorse which never got me worried.
4. Wide service network and better dealers.
5. Even during summers, we could manage with the AC speed at 1 or 2. The AC in the Laura like every other European vehicle isn’t as effective as an equivalent Japanese vehicle.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.32.58-am.jpeg

Where the Laura trumps the Corolla-

1. The front two seats are amazing in the Laura. The lumbar support and the overall seat cushioning is much better than the Corolla.
2. Being a turbo-diesel, The overall performance is amazing and even when pushed the Fuel efficiency doesn’t drop like a petrol car. Better gear ratios than the Corolla makes cruising at 3-digit speeds easy.
3. Humongous boot. It can literally fit 2-3 human beings.
4. The ride quality thanks to the bigger tyres and the rear multi-link suspension is very impressive.
5. The Laura is fun to drive and feels sure-footed. The build quality is amazing.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200425-8.16.46-pm.jpeg
The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200425-8.16.49-pm-2.jpeg
The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200425-8.16.49-pm.jpeg

At Chalkewadi wind farms, Satara

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.07-am.jpeg

At our ancestral home

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.04-am-1.jpeg

On one of the regular Pune Nashik runs

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.32.59-am.jpeg
The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.02-am-1.jpeg
The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.03-am.jpeg

With the other workhorse in the house

This is our first VAG car. Now I know the Laura 1.9 TDi isn’t a very modern engine but it sure is one hell of a workhorse and the driving experience has transformed after the remap. I like how practical the Laura is- Huge boot, comfortable ride, fuel efficient and fun. Honestly had it not been a known car, I wouldn’t have picked up a Laura. This car has helped me understand why VAG lovers stick to VAG products in spite of certain known issues. It’s the solid build quality, amazing engines and a balanced suspension setup that makes them desirable. These cars make you feel special, They are built beyond a purpose. The VCDS mods have mighty impressed me. Laura has already done close to 11k KMs in less than 6 months and is looking forward to an annual service after the lockdown only to be ready for upcoming road trips.

The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20200426-9.33.04-am.jpeg

Awaiting many more road trips

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th June 2020 at 10:01. Reason: Corrected member ID. Thanks. :)
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (62) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The story of a Škoda Laura 1.9 TDi Update: Sold!

A proper workhorse of an engine. If I have to pick a modern German, it would be from this generation.

While the high aspect ratio of the tyres makes it look a bit odd, I like the look. It’s a good solution to get a high GC without going in for an SUV. On the inside, there is nothing to complain, good seats, massive boot and sorted ergonomics. However, I felt the need for a reverse cam.

Also, next time we go on a road trip, I will insist on this over the Figo!
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 23:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
A proper workhorse of an engine. If I have to pick a modern German, it would be from this generation.

While the high aspect ratio of the tyres makes it look a bit odd, I like the look. It’s a good solution to get a high GC without going in for an SUV. On the inside, there is nothing to complain, good seats, massive boot and sorted ergonomics. However, I felt the need for a reverse cam.

Also, next time we go on a road trip, I will insist on this over the Figo!
Haha! Yes next time it will be the Laura for sure. I guess with 16 inchers the high aspect ratio should be taken care of. I will be adding the reverse cam when I upgrade the stereo.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 12:28   #4
BHPian

Congratulations !! Laura is my first VAG car too. As EVO mag called out this case, this one car you ever need.

Btw, mine is running on 15 inch too. After much thought I'm keeping the same rim size. It does provide an additional protection on rough roads, especially when you encounter them unexpectedly, on highways, at high speeds. Wider, yes, if I could lay my hands on.

Keep munching miles
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 00:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Congratulations !! Laura is my first VAG car too. As EVO mag called out this case, this one car you ever need.

Btw, mine is running on 15 inch too. After much thought I'm keeping the same rim size. It does provide an additional protection on rough roads, especially when you encounter them unexpectedly, on highways, at high speeds. Wider, yes, if I could lay my hands on.

Keep munching miles
Thank you WhiteKnight. I totally agree with the all rounder characteristics of the Laura. The 15 inch rims have been a blessing for me too. On a part of NH4 near Pune. There was huge pothole in the first lane towards the divider. It was pretty deep. It was raining heavily and I was coming back with my family after dinner. I didn’t see the pothole and the FR tyre went in it. We didn’t realise how deep it was thanks to the higher aspect ratio of tyres and the suspension setup on the Laura. I had to rush back to my office on the same night and I was careful on my way back when I spotted a Crysta, Vento and i20 parked with hazard light on the side and found them changing tyres. Stopped to help them and they told me it happened because of that pothole. The next day I saw it in daylight and realised why it’s important to have a higher aspect ratio especially in India.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 14:14   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Many thanks for sharing this review! Will add it to our homepage in the mid-week.

My brother-in-law owned a black Laura, so I have driven it extensively in the city & highway. Was also my first experience with the DSG & absolutely loved it. My BIL kept the car for almost 7 - 8 years, then sold it to someone he knew who used it for another couple of years. Had a fairly reliable run. The after-sales was another matter. Once, his driver sent the car to the Skoda workshop for a service on new Michelins, and it came back with MRFs or something .

Appreciate what it was providing even then for the price. The Octavia family is truly one that punches above its weight, giving 90% of the C-Class / 3-Series category at 70% of the price.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 20:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Many thanks for sharing this review! Will add it to our homepage in the mid-week.

My brother-in-law owned a black Laura, so I have driven it extensively in the city & highway. Was also my first experience with the DSG & absolutely loved it. My BIL kept the car for almost 7 - 8 years, then sold it to someone he knew who used it for another couple of years. Had a fairly reliable run. The after-sales was another matter. Once, his driver sent the car to the Skoda workshop for a service on new Michelins, and it came back with MRFs or something .

Appreciate what it was providing even then for the price. The Octavia family is truly one that punches above its weight, giving 90% of the C-Class / 3-Series category at 70% of the price.
Thanks GTO
Apart from the water pump issue the 1.9/2.0 TDi Laura/Jetta were fairly reliable. New tyres gone . In Pune, we have a new Škoda dealer with every climate change. I had ordered the hub caps from the authorised service centre and they came on time but I won’t be surprised if they are as notorious as other Škoda dealers. Thankfully for me, The Mechanix Automtive is a competent FNG specialising in European vehicles & owned by a fellow bhpian.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th April 2020 at 21:46. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 10:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post

Now for the first time, I saw the traction control light flashing. The map was updated again and is awaiting one more update with respect to the low end. The mid-range is brutal. Even on the move in 2nd and 3rd gear, it is easy to get the wheels spinning and the TC light flashing. The car can reach unmentionable speeds in no time. Basically I don’t have to push the car now, it picks up the pace with ease. The torque surge is simply amazing. The low end feels a Lil weak, I have spoken to Srikanth and they will be working on it whenever they are in town.
Hi Asit!

Congratulations on the Laura! It was surely one of the most VFM cars in the market at that time. The 1.9L TDI was a joy to drive and it's quite sad that VAG stopped using it.

Could you please answer a few questions about the remap for me?

1) How much did the Remap from Wolf cost?
2) Considering the car had 105 BHP off the line, how much power does it make after the tune and how much difference does it make when driving?
3) Any idea about a Wolf Remap for the VW Vento 1.2TSI?

Thank you in advance!
Akash
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 11:06   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. I've always admired the Laura. It looks elegant and very pleasing to the eyes.

There is a black Laura at office with smoked headlamps and lots of oomph appeal. Prior to the lockdown, I always used to stop by the car and admire it for a few moments.

Missing that beauty and after seeing your car, I get that same feeling that I had for the black beauty. Enjoy your ride.

I'm also a Skoda owner - a Rapid TDI 2013. This is where I'm a bit jealous of you - you have already found a reliable FNG like Mechanix Automotive to take care of your beauty.

A trusted FNG will definitely add value to the Skoda ownership experience. In my case, I have always serviced at Skoda. And while they are competent and trustworthy, I always get the feeling that the services and parts are overpriced. Again this is my personal opinion and experiences will vary from owner to owner.

I've been looking for a trusted FNG in Tvm for quite sometime and if I do find one, I will be forging a long-term relationship with them.
Old 30th April 2020, 11:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fellow bhpian Swanand Inamdar had moved to the US sometime back but I used to spot his Škoda Laura being driven by his dad at times. I came to know through a fellow bhpian that he was planning to get a small AT hatch and sell off the Laura. I decided to check it out and found it decent for family use. Decided to show it to my dad and he liked it too. Fellow Bhpian Monaro CV8 helped me with the negotiations with Swanand’s dad. Sushant from The Mechanix Automotive had already worked on the car so I knew what had to be done.
The primary reason why I clicked on the thread's HOT THREAD image on home page was the car's registration number. Knew it in 1 glance that this was Swanand's car. I have been in this car & Swanand had really looked after it like a baby I must say. This was the first car also - that stopped and came for help when I had a pretty nasty accident back in 2013 on the Nande-Chande road. Swanand was the first one to stop & help disperse the unnecessarily hostile crowd (when the real culprit of the accident had sped away).

Nice write up & pictures! Loved the mods that you have picked up on priority.
A wonderful acquisition I must say. Wish you unlimited safe miles with the car! Give my regards to Swanand when you catch up with him. He has been in the US since quite a while now!

Last edited by Reinhard : 30th April 2020 at 11:28.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 13:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi Asit!

Congratulations on the Laura! It was surely one of the most VFM cars in the market at that time. The 1.9L TDI was a joy to drive and it's quite sad that VAG stopped using it.

Could you please answer a few questions about the remap for me?

1) How much did the Remap from Wolf cost?
2) Considering the car had 105 BHP off the line, how much power does it make after the tune and how much difference does it make when driving?
3) Any idea about a Wolf Remap for the VW Vento 1.2TSI?

Thank you in advance!
Akash
Thanks, Akash. The PD engine is indeed fun but common rail engines were cost-effective for the manufacturers. Answering your questions-

1. I haven't checked the specific amount as The Mechanix Automotive has business dealings with me hence the amount gets added/adjusted there only. You can check with +91 98229 99383 Sushant Walki. He is one of the partners at The Mechanix Automotive and Wolf team operates out of their workshop in Pune.
2. Honestly, It's difficult to give numbers but the difference is significant. As mentioned in the review, I had to push the car earlier to get it moving but now it picks up speed with ease. The mid-range is amazing, I love it how the wheels start spinning and the TC light flashing when I dab the throttle on the move in the second gear.
3. There are many 1.2 TSi's remapped by the Wolf team. In fact, I had driven a GT TSi remapped by them & it felt wonderful. I suggest have a word with Sushant, he will help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojyKerala View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I've always admired the Laura. It looks elegant and very pleasing to the eyes.

There is a black Laura at office with smoked headlamps and lots of oomph appeal. Prior to the lockdown, I always used to stop by the car and admire it for a few moments.

Missing that beauty and after seeing your car, I get that same feeling that I had for the black beauty. Enjoy your ride.

I'm also a Skoda owner - a Rapid TDI 2013. This is where I'm a bit jealous of you - you have already found a reliable FNG like Mechanix Automotive to take care of your beauty.

A trusted FNG will definitely add value to the Skoda ownership experience. In my case, I have always serviced at Skoda. And while they are competent and trustworthy, I always get the feeling that the services and parts are overpriced. Again this is my personal opinion and experiences will vary from owner to owner.

I've been looking for a trusted FNG in Tvm for quite sometime and if I do find one, I will be forging a long-term relationship with them.
Thanks JojyKerala. I love the Rapid 1.6 TDi. I was actually planning to replace my Figo with one but my family was not comfortable having 2 sedans at home. I totally agree with the FNG part. If you have a VAG product, its best to have a competent FNG. Most of their service centres are notorious. Look up the team-bhp directory, you will definitely come across a competent FNG in tvm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The primary reason why I clicked on the thread's HOT THREAD image on home page was the car's registration number. Knew it in 1 glance that this was Swanand's car. I have been in this car & Swanand had really looked after it like a baby I must say. This was the first car also - that stopped and came for help when I had a pretty nasty accident back in 2013 on the Nande-Chande road. Swanand was the first one to stop & help disperse the unnecessarily hostile crowd (when the real culprit of the accident had sped away).

Nice write up & pictures! Loved the mods that you have picked up on priority.
A wonderful acquisition I must say. Wish you unlimited safe miles with the car! Give my regards to Swanand when you catch up with him. He has been in the US since quite a while now!
Thanks, Reinhard. Sorry to hear about your accident. I had seen this car for the first time during a team-bhp meet back in 2013. It had been visiting The Mechanix Automotive for some time so always knew it was well kept. Thanks for reminding, I couldn't get in touch with Swanand in a long time. I'll share the ownership thread's link with him too.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 19:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
[center]

This is our first VAG car. Now I know the Laura 1.9 TDi isn’t a very modern engine but it sure is one hell of a workhorse...
Hey Asit!
Great thread. I like the Laura a heck of a lot and hopefully will get my hands on a vRS sometime this year (hope, because Covid-19 has upset a lot of plans!)

The 1.9 TDi may not be modern, but it is a GEM. I had it on my 2006 Skoda Octavia with a 4 speed AT. It was absolutely lovely. I did 70,000 km in 4 years.

Pay attention to the fan belt adjuster, the timing belt kit will need attention if it hasn't already been attended to, and the water pump should be changed if it hasn't already been.

Wish you many happy and safe miles!
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 21:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Hey Asit!
Great thread. I like the Laura a heck of a lot and hopefully will get my hands on a vRS sometime this year (hope, because Covid-19 has upset a lot of plans!)

The 1.9 TDi may not be modern, but it is a GEM. I had it on my 2006 Skoda Octavia with a 4 speed AT. It was absolutely lovely. I did 70,000 km in 4 years.

Pay attention to the fan belt adjuster, the timing belt kit will need attention if it hasn't already been attended to, and the water pump should be changed if it hasn't already been.

Wish you many happy and safe miles!
Thanks Viraat.
Good luck with the vRS search. There was a DL registered VRS near my office in Pune. Let me stop him someday and ask him if he plans to sell it.

I totally loved the Octy 1.9 TDi. I would still love to get one home. I had got the timing kit and water pump replaced as soon as I got the car home. The fan belt was replaced too when I got the AC work done. So I am good to go for now.
Old 1st May 2020, 11:53   #14
BANNED

Congratulations Asit on your new acquisition. Laura 1.9 TDI is a gem of a car. I liked the mods you did in your car..specially the wolfteam remap. This car already comes with 105 bhp in stock. So I can imagine what it would have become after remap. I will also check with wolfteam for remapping my Tiago. It would be interesting to see what they have for this three cylinder engine.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots...like...this. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st May 2020 at 11:59. Reason: Mod Note Inline
Old 1st May 2020, 21:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkuldeep1998 View Post
Congratulations Asit on your new acquisition. Laura 1.9 TDI is a gem of a car. I liked the mods you did in your car..specially the wolfteam remap. This car already comes with 105 bhp in stock. So I can imagine what it would have become after remap. I will also check with wolfteam for remapping my Tiago. It would be interesting to see what they have for this three cylinder engine.
Thanks drkuldeep1998. Wolfmoto has really transformed my car. You should definitely get in touch with them regarding your Tiago. I guess they will have something considering it’s a turbo Diesel engine.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st May 2020 at 21:36. Reason: Removing away the mod note from quoted post :).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks