Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2021, 14:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned VW Polo GT TSI | Long-Term Ownership Review @ 80,000 km

And, I'm surprised that the DSG gearbox is holding well despite the odo is at 90K Kms![/quote]

My Rapid TDI DSG 2015 is touchwood at 95k kms, even after remap (rated at 130 horses and 310nm). There's a thing or two about driving DSG and it does help in longevity.
noufal.ps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 18:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noufal.ps View Post
And, I'm surprised that the DSG gearbox is holding well despite the odo is at 90K Kms!

My Rapid TDI DSG 2015 is touchwood at 95k kms, even after remap (rated at 130 horses and 310nm). There's a thing or two about driving DSG and it does help in longevity.
That's great to hear, just take care of the multiclutch in the long run, maybe you can try a TCU tune once you change it. 130 bhp sounds really good. I agree if you are careful with DSG's, they do last long.

Cheers

Last edited by Sheel : 16th May 2021 at 20:58. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 16th May 2021, 18:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post

That's great to hear, just take care of the multiclutch in the long run, maybe you can try a TCU tune once you change it. 130 bhp sounds really good. I agree if you are careful with DSG's, they do last long.

Cheers
My apologies for not mentioning the TCU tune. Remapped TCU and ECU at 53k kms and all good till now. Checked multi clutch and flywheel in last service and no issues found.

Never ride on the clutch is something I follow. Be it D1 to D2, D2 to D3 (D is gear), never ride on clutch. And never revv before engine heating up (of course things change if a cretin is shows up in parallel )

Last edited by Sheel : 16th May 2021 at 20:58. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 16th May 2021, 21:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
My apologies for not mentioning the TCU tune. Remapped TCU and ECU at 53k kms and all good till now. Checked multi clutch and flywheel in last service and no issues found.

Never ride on the clutch is something I follow. Be it D1 to D2, D2 to D3 (D is gear), never ride on clutch. And never revv before engine heating up (of course things change if a cretin is shows up in parallel )
Honestly speaking, there is no legitimate way of checking a multi clutch, unless you open it up completely which most service guys don't do, it just gives up randomly is what I was told by VW. Also, how do you not ride the clutch when it isn't there? In automatic it cannot be judged as it's just engaging and disengaging in a DSG.
Old 16th May 2021, 22:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly speaking, there is no legitimate way of checking a multi clutch, unless you open it up completely which most service guys don't do, it just gives up randomly is what I was told by VW. Also, how do you not ride the clutch when it isn't there? In automatic it cannot be judged as it's just engaging and disengaging in a DSG.
I'm surprised to hear this. SA at Skoda told me they can take diagnostic readings on multi clutch apart from drive check. Looks like I need to validate this. The drive check obviously is the classic DSG jerking on D1/D2 idle, slippage etc.

Let's take a scenario where you are in D1 and moving up to D2. Accelerate and leave the gas before you shift to D2. Similarly from D2 to D3, accelerate and leave gas before car gets to D3. This is classic clutch riding in DSG (Something similar happens in manual and the car jumps around). This is a driving habit I would say and not very much applicable to gears beyond D4.
Old 16th May 2021, 22:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear this. SA at Skoda told me they can take diagnostic readings on multi clutch apart from drive check. Looks like I need to validate this. The drive check obviously is the classic DSG jerking on D1/D2 idle, slippage etc.

Let's take a scenario where you are in D1 and moving up to D2. Accelerate and leave the gas before you shift to D2. Similarly from D2 to D3, accelerate and leave gas before car gets to D3. This is classic clutch riding in DSG (Something similar happens in manual and the car jumps around). This is a driving habit I would say and not very much applicable to gears beyond D4.
Yeah I got your point around the shift points, but I'd largely attribute it to the pause before shifts happen or say a shift time empathy to not accelerate rapidly.
Yes you are right that they can check the parameters for shift time and slippage etc on their software but the wear of both clutches cannot be checked neither can the teeth condition be known, for my car that I get serviced completely in front of my eyes, all parameters were fine at the 69500km service and 10000km I had to replace the parts, so there's a grey area there.
Old 23rd May 2021, 06:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
a friend's car has had same problem at 58xxx km. It's a consumable in the eyes of VW like a clutch in a normal manual car but I think they're trying to hide the DQ200's deficiencies underneath that.
Hello, friend with clutch failure at 58k reporting!

Regarding your review, I agree with almost everything you've written about the Polo except for two things. The first being the brake life; I've not managed to get more than 15k from the pad/discs, and I've changed both twice in my ownership, will be switching to BBK shortly. Second, the stock HU output is really poor - I noticed this while I was itching for an audio upgrade, and when I switched over to the RCD340 the stock speakers sounded better than before, thereby confirming by doubts.

Overall great review Dhruv, gives me inspiration to finish my long pending thread as well!
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 12:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Hello, friend with clutch failure at 58k reporting!

Regarding your review, I agree with almost everything you've written about the Polo except for two things. The first being the brake life; I've not managed to get more than 15k from the pad/discs, and I've changed both twice in my ownership, will be switching to BBK shortly. Second, the stock HU output is really poor - I noticed this while I was itching for an audio upgrade, and when I switched over to the RCD340 the stock speakers sounded better than before, thereby confirming by doubts.

Overall great review Dhruv, gives me inspiration to finish my long pending thread as well!
Well, the brake pad and disc life is the oldest argument of automotive circles, completely upon driving, plus in your case I feel BBK makes absolute sense as it will also increase pad life with better feel, with me it's like my brakes are hardly used because of very neutral driving and no high speed stops. About audio, all I can say is I was upgrading from the ritz which was an absolute did, so polo sounded sweet, I also contemplated about the RCD340 a long time but with use coming down it looks like a case already lost.
Yes, definitely you should complete your ownership report as I feel every thread has something different and adds new value to the ever favourite car of BHPians.
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 20:23   #24
BHPian

Small update of the good amount of running coming down big time, this has been the only month in this car's tenure with me where its run just 500km, apart from the last year's lockdown, in fact most of those were clocked by my wife, who has taken up the car's duties full time now. Yes, I've gotten a new steed and hence the shift has happened. My wife, working from home anyway won't use it much, I expect the running to be a sad 4-5000km a year. So where I was looking at completing the ton of 100000km by end of year, now it seems very far away.
Was also seriously thinking of selling the car once I got another one, I sold the Laura though and ended up keeping the car that was probably closer to my heart, even though it had done more than twice the kms of the Laura. Though, I would keep seeing the Laura at meets as I've sold it to fellow BHPian and good friend Viraat13. Will keep updating this thread at major junctures and services though.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned VW Polo GT TSI | Long-Term Ownership Review @ 80,000 km-img20210615wa0002.jpeg  

dhruvritzed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 16:03   #25

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a 2018 Polo GT TSI in Hyderabad. This would be my first car. Would like to get some tips on what I need to check and how I can go about checking it. Would also appreciate if you can also get me in touch with a good mechanic for this car who I can take with me to check the car. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th July 2021, 17:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy42 View Post
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a 2018 Polo GT TSI in Hyderabad. This would be my first car. Would like to get some tips on what I need to check and how I can go about checking it. Would also appreciate if you can also get me in touch with a good mechanic for this car who I can take with me to check the car. Thanks in advance.
The best place to get it checked would be the local VW A.S.S. It's a chargeable service, but they give you a very detailed feedback is what i know.
Old 26th January 2022, 21:58   #27
BHPian

With a heavy heart, have finally decided to put up my Polo for sale, the running coming down and the need for a slightly bigger car that probably comes in with warranty coverage as my wife would be using it on a daily basis comes in.
It's done 94600km as of today and was serviced just a month ago at VW Noida for a paltry 4900₹ including everything, owing to the good maintenance through its lifetime and VW really coming in hard with India 2.0 strategy.
If someone is interested, they can DM me for further details, will be putting it up on classifieds simultaneously.

Cheers!
dhruvritzed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 23:15   #28
BHPian

After a long contemplation on which car could potentially replace the big shoes of the polo, as it would be used by my wife for her commuting needs, came across a similar to polo deal on an i20, it was 11 months old and 2900km done with almost 2.2 lacs off the list price, car was on spinny so no negotiation bought it on the 15th of May.
Had put the Polo on sale on OLX and team bhp classifieds subsequently, finalised the deal and waited for a long time with a guy and then he backed out 3 days ago, immediately got in touch with guys on OLX chats and had great responses within a few hours. Finalised a good price on Sunday and yesterday at 96196km, she went away.
It's a great car when I look back at it, both from the head and heart, as the residual value was a cool 53% after 6 years and more than average usage. The only car where I spent more on fuel and maintenance than depreciation and insurance.

Requesting mods to close the thread as the car is sold.
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 18:51   #29

Polo GT TSI - 2nd Hand | Help

Hi All.
Recently joined T-BHP. Hoping to comply with the rules.

I, 26, recently started earning enough to get a car (the first in the family). I will be getting a secondhand car for a couple of years before jumping to get a firsthand.

Stumbled upon Polo GT TSI, and am awestruck with that one. Friends and family are suggesting that Polo is exorbitantly expensive for a second-hand car, thanks to increased demand. But I am keen to get a Polo GT TSI (or HIGHLINE PLUS), however, one thread suggested that GT TSI 2nd hand might not be reliable. And, I wouldn't want to get a car and get stuck with some permanent issues.

Could someone shed light on the issue, and if I should go ahead, and if yes, what things to lookout for? (Have watched some YT videos, so have some basic knowledge).

Thanks a ton.
Old 7th June 2023, 17:18   #30
BHPian

Hi @dhruvritzed & @viraat13, thanks for sharing your ownership experiences here. I am in the pre-loved car market looking for a VW Polo. Could you please share some pointers on what things to look for before finalizing a polo? This is going to be my first car.

Also, please confirm if 2020+ polo GT TSI with TC instead of DSG would be a good option? Are they cheaper to maintain given the DSG issue won't come up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks