Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2007, 21:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

One last drive, those iKONic moments.

She came to my life 7 years back in the month of May, yup one of the first iKON’s ever sold in India. Had a test drive and fell in love and after a lot of debate decided for her, took delivery from Cochin and drove down with a friend to trivandrum 220 kms south. First stop was the local accessory showroom to get that mandatory set of mats, 2 sets (one fabric and the transparent plastic ones for protection).

Coming back to the first drive, run in was in my head, started with 80’s on speedo and after breaking the journey for 2-3 times over 100 kms, but then she is one beast who loves speed so landed up doing 120’s by the end of first 150 kms, never knowing the speedo climbed so much lol. and it continued till the last few kms last Friday when she crossed 42,500 kms on odo.

What do I say she is one quirky gal, loves those winding roads, highways with broken patches and those tight overtake scenarios which I explored over the years, let it be hills of Moonar or namma bangaloru, rough patches are even more fun the way she glides over with a rumble (yes mrf vts are loud, suspension hmm not louder but still wants to be heard) and entertaining when you correct the rear during one of those tricky turns, back steps out, do not brake just ease the throttle a lil and counter steer and yup she will snatch back to normal.. oh what fun..

Infamous brakes!! Not really gave few scares initially but was sorted out somehow (still a mystery) after some 20k kms during a routine service, and really was no worry after I changed the front brake pads at 38k kms, don’t know if its just me mastering those brakes, I didn’t screech ones in my last weekend trip ???

Suspension again bloody robust, initially ford recalled my car for a small rubber damper/stopper correction, used to give a thud when humps were taken lil over enthusiastically, that’s it, apart from that a regular tightening over the services not even a paisa spent till date and yup she feels a lil soft these days but you give her a rough patch (krishnagiri-dharmapuri stretch for instance or bandipur with rubble humps) at around 110 kms/hour oh boy she just brought back those old memories again last weekend.

To all old-city and baleno owners, no offence but having driven all 3 cars over the same/similar stretch, trust me none gives you the confidence that this lil iKON gives at abusing the suspension, yup I had bent one rim (edge) on one of such excursion in mysore road but nothing a local tire walla couldn’t correct over 10 mts, that’s it she is built like a tank, I still believe in this and any day I would put my money on iKON for lil abusive driving.

Tank! that remind me, she ones jumped a wall 5 foot high landed on soft sand nose first onto a beach, no I was not the culprit rather my pops lol, and some good Samaritans took over and dropped the rear also, in the process managed to get the spare tire pop inside the boot, took the car to a dealer, did a thorough suspension and alignment check, all aok and drove off. Oh yeah one guy standing and jumping inside the wheel well brought it back to shape, not tough after all.

Engine, yup lots have been told, one thing I want to say is she aint that thirsty!! She gives a decent 10-11 kms in bangalore city with AC and last highway trip gave 16 kmpl consistently, am pretty wild with accelerator mode, master the torque delivery that’s all the secret, listen to the engine growl and shift, yeah ones in a while you will be fooled and she will hit the brick wall of rev limiter also, my fav stretch was signal from EG pura on ring road where I have to state very boyishly that nobody dared beat me in the traffic signal drag, which was not the case when I did the autocar drag 2 years back, with a tank full of gas, ac switched on and saw a golden Honda city take a 50 or was it 100 mtr lead at finish line, then again my launches are awesome lol.

She gave me some sleepless nights also, first the injector conking off at 12k kms, don’t blame the car, it was left idle for a year, had to happen, then again the erratic idle and cough which was diagnosed as engine job but thank my lucky stars was just a fuel evaporator problem.. phew.. then bloody silencer eroded away and broke into two one evening, couldn’t find a decent off the shelf replacement and went with custom job, simple job remove the last 2 cans, instead put a pipe and good muffler with loads of glass wool, will give you a beautiful growl, beautiful response from throttle and absolutely negligible mileage drop.

Ok I can go on forever and bore, but at least this much I OWE HER!! Do I regret, not really I had my fun and who knows some day I can have my iKONIC dreams back.

Pros: FUN FUN FUN, TANK ur driving, FUN FUN FUN! (NOT A 140-150 straight line expert, rather a 100-120 kms i care a S**T person)

Cons: Dealer workshop can be beautiful as well as horrifying experience, so brush up your automotive mechanical knowledge.

She is not Ur neghbhorhood chick but hey she cares a damn too.. that’s why I will be in love with her..

cheers
Jaggu
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2007, 21:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Oooh my god!! Look at this guy! Great note bro. Straight from soul.

Sad, can't see this gal any more waiting on next lane to TGIF. Brother, it takes courage to part with your love after so many years. I'm yet to master this.

Tell me how. I'll be glad to hear that.

Come home bro. Bar is open.
Old 19th March 2007, 21:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Felt very sad when dad sold our 96 esteem vx and got a ikon.didn't feel like eating for days but at the end the car ended with my brother and i see it regularly he is taking good car of her
Old 19th March 2007, 21:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

sir ji, have a bad headache from all the travel, will take it as rain cheque and i anyways need to drop something at your place this week, so will catch up soon
Old 19th March 2007, 22:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

:sigh: This brings to me the memory of that sunday 6 months ago, when I took our '92 M800 for one last spin along with my mom. I ran my hand over the wellworn gearshift one last time before saying goodbye. Its was darned hard, watching her being driven away from my gate for the last time.
What is it about cars .......?
Old 19th March 2007, 23:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ikon was a legend and it will always be. Ford should bring back 1.6 coz fiesta 1.6 is unable to meet the sales chart of Ikon 1.6. I still remember it was one of the highest selling car in its segment at a time.

Also a very good review. Loved the below lines
Quote:
She is not Ur neghbhorhood chick but hey she cares a damn too.. that’s why I will be in love with her..
Old 19th March 2007, 23:16   #7
BHPian

does it happen with only cars...! I felt sad when I left my home in dubai, When My Gear Cycle- My second ride..after Tobo Tricycle was donated to the Kaam wali's son..When my Sony TV went Black n White from colour- Has to be exchanged...!
Old 20th March 2007, 06:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Brother, it takes courage to part with your love after so many years. I'm yet to master this.

Come home bro. Bar is open.
Couldn't have said it better.

Jaggu, hope you find another love, just as unique and Ikonic.
Old 20th March 2007, 09:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

Yet another IKONic story comin to an end.
Lets hope she has a good life ahead of her, and a good owner to keep her happy.
Old 20th March 2007, 09:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

The ikon is a beautiful vehicle and loads of fun . I have been having an awesome time myself .Great write up Jaggu .
Old 20th March 2007, 09:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey Jaggu, that was a great write-up, straight from the heart lol! Can understand how you are feeling, the memories will make you smile for many a day though........
Old 20th March 2007, 09:58   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You really love the Ikon, dont you? Nice review...the emotions are pouring over.

What did you decide finally with the new purchase?
Old 20th March 2007, 14:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

lol yeah am a die hard fan you can say.

Getting a Swift Vdi soon (i hope).
Old 3rd July 2008, 23:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow,
Sorry for digging this thread up but I just cant get enough of the Ikon.
We had owned 2 Ikon's personally in the family. A 2000 and a 2001 1.6 ZXi.
The 2001 was sold a long time ago but the 2000 was recently sold off and I just loved that car and I can relate to everything you said about the Ikon.
Ours was a green 1.6 which had run some 1L+ km and was badly abused as well in parts. But when I drove it for the last time, the engine still felt factory fresh and the car drove like a dream.
That is one of the most fun to drive cars ever to be sold in India. Heck, the last drive in the Ikon felt much better than any drives in the Lancer and the Lancer was a newer car whereas the Ikon was 5 years and 1L+ km older! Even with all the abuse, the Ikon was egging me to push it, something that is evident from the minute you sit in the driver's seat. The minute you sit in the car, it's like the car is challenging you.
People crib a lot about the Ikon's maintainance and FE, but only those who have driven one or have experienced it will know how special this car is. It is one car that can be really abused. I have seen my friends badly crashed and abused as hell Ikon 1.6 still touching 160 on the W.E. Highway with ease.
Hopefully, in the near future, Ford might release something that is as capable as the Ikon. The fiesta is a good driver's car but the Ikon is an excellent driver's car and that is the difference.
Sorry for digging this thread up once again.
Old 4th July 2008, 08:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu nice writeup. Missed it somehow.
So you guys met for a drink at rudra's?

For those who missed this thread "This thread is one year old !"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks