Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2007, 10:15   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Tho mileage for now is 14.4 km/Liter under following condition.
I guess thats a lot of gain after moving from ikon...

Quote:
add another 40 minutes of idle for stereo installation.
Why was that for???Why you need to idle during installation???
Old 18th April 2007, 10:22   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
can anyone share the link to confirm this, if it has been discussed.
Navdeep, This is simple physics: Most fluids will become denser with a decrease in temperature. There are anomalies like water which becomes less dense between 0-4 Degrees C, but it is an anomaly and not the norm.
Old 18th April 2007, 10:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Navdeep, This is simple physics: Most fluids will become denser with a decrease in temperature. There are anomalies like water which becomes less dense between 0-4 Degrees C, but it is an anomaly and not the norm.
Ya I understand. My response was on bit inquisitive side. What I mean is the loss may not be that significant. Let say I filled up 30 litres in afternoon, how much loss ( approx) will be there? Density of Petrol/D at 25C and 40C ?
Old 18th April 2007, 10:44   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Ya I understand. My response was on bit inquisitive side. What I mean is the loss may not be that significant. Let say I filled up 30 litres in afternoon, how much loss ( approx) will be there? Density of Petrol/D at 25C and 40C ?
Thanks for motivating me to do a search on this. Here is what I found:

Gasoline volume changes approximately 0.125% for every 1ºC change in temperature (0.058%/ºF).

If we consider this data to be right, for 50 L of fuel the difference between 25C and 40C would be 50*(40-25) *0.125/100 = 0.9375L, which is close to 1L of fuel, pretty substantial!!

You can check out the source link for lots of more information (like temp compensated fuel-guages and volume correction factors):
http://www.users.qwest.net/~taaaz/AZgas.html
Old 18th April 2007, 13:59   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Thanks for motivating me to do a search on this. Here is what I found:

Gasoline volume changes approximately 0.125% for every 1ºC change in temperature (0.058%/ºF).

If we consider this data to be right, for 50 L of fuel the difference between 25C and 40C would be 50*(40-25) *0.125/100 = 0.9375L, which is close to 1L of fuel, pretty substantial!!

You can check out the source link for lots of more information (like temp compensated fuel-guages and volume correction factors):
http://www.users.qwest.net/~taaaz/AZgas.html
Bang ! thats what I was trying to ask.. thats quite a gain in the morning. FE would be way up if the fuel tank is filled in the morning.
Thanks...
Old 19th April 2007, 10:23   #96
Team-BHP Support

gkrish: yes this is a huge jump from 10 kpl on petrol and idle coz i was sitting in the sun trying to fine tune my stereo.

Su: great info, i always used to wonder how much difference it will make. Since mine is diesel it will be lil less i guess.
Old 20th April 2007, 11:04   #97
Team-BHP Support

it had to happen in bangalore and i finally managed to do a river wading on roads yday night actually thrice, Koramangala and then in IRR domlur end

not to worry though i felt the car loose the grip for a few secs nothing went wrong, highest water level was at half mark at running boards..

Turbo really helps with lugging if you keep RPM above 2 k and in first gear, felt like a wannabe SUV lol..

lot of muck got stuck all over including the intercooler and the radiator grills, rims suspension, which i hosed down after reaching home.. impressed with the fog lights which got submerged but stayed leak proof

AGAIN: NOT ADVISED!!!

mine was an emergency, and i have to be lil more careful with lower ground clearance of swift.. compared to my ol iKON
Old 20th April 2007, 11:36   #98
Team-BHP Support

Jaggu, take your car to a service station at next opportunity.
I also had some serious water wading, and found bearings etc., losing their lube.
Where is the AC compressor? Usually its quite low in most cars and a bearing damage may cost you 8000 bucks.
Old 20th April 2007, 11:43   #99
Team-BHP Support

OFF TOPIC :

Quote:
it had to happen in bangalore and i finally managed to do a river wading on roads yday night actually thrice, Koramangala and then in IRR domlur end
Exactly the reason why I didnt go to pick up wifey yesterday, and instead asked her to get back by the company bus. Did some wading on my Pulsar though... was real fun.
Old 20th April 2007, 11:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

not to worry though i felt the car loose the grip for a few secs nothing went wrong, highest water level was at half mark at running boards..

Turbo really helps with lugging if you keep RPM above 2 k and in first gear, felt like a wannabe SUV lol..

lot of muck got stuck all over including the intercooler and the radiator grills, rims suspension, which i hosed down after reaching home.. impressed with the fog lights which got submerged but stayed leak proof

AGAIN: NOT ADVISED!!!

mine was an emergency, and i have to be lil more careful with lower ground clearance of swift.. compared to my ol iKON
so much for monsoon preparations in koramangala and hsr layout. i think car owners have to sue the government for this water logging. and yeah the rains have been quite bad too. check ur car man. lest you find something irritating later on.
Old 20th April 2007, 12:00   #101
Team-BHP Support

i checked thoroughly and luckily for me it was not that bad and i made sure my wading skills was used in a proper way as not to upset the car engine bay gentle but swift actions

wheel bearings right now am counting on the alloy wheels protection and will get them checked in my first service again this is a very small thing compared to other parts i was more worried about
Old 20th April 2007, 23:26   #102
Team-BHP Support

an inconvenience or a design flaw?

while driving at night, the side rear view mirrors with their really good view causes blind spots thanks to considerate tale gaters shining high beams. Didnt notice much in the other swift with darker sun film but this is a pain especially when driving in the rain.

Anybody else noticed this issue?
Old 21st April 2007, 00:07   #103
Team-BHP Support

I always wonder why do side mirrors not have the night mode. The RVM inside has, but none of the cars I have driven, from hatches to sedans have ORVMs with night mode.
Due to this I never extend mirrors at night in the indica. Its a little dangerous, but then driving blind is even more dangerous.
Old 21st April 2007, 00:22   #104
Team-BHP Support

Night mode for me is to move them lil off the actual mark so as to minimise the glare, thats what am resorting to now.

hey i missed out the question of ac compressor earlier, its sitting low but not very low either, and nope it didnt get wet.

Its well above the wheel axle center mark and again axle nut corresponds to slightly higher than the running board middle mark.

Again the whole engine is so compact and the shape is such that it sits slightly higher from the chasis, good thing for misadventures that iam used to
Old 22nd April 2007, 21:28   #105
Team-BHP Support

small ICE update

Got myself a el cheapo cassette adapter (250 bucks) to hook up the iPOD, 17 days of non stop music already in 80 GB thingie cannot be discounted afterall

Why the cheapo trick, i already have the CD changer and the Pio multiple AUX connector is not made for my ol Pio HU, so will have to wait till i decide to upgrade my HU

Had to keep the setting of iPOD EQ to treble boost for best results, works like a charm for now, 24 GB in now and another 5-7 GB to be transfered from office comp

Otherwise a boring week with work and canceled plans. I seem to be always ready with my car keys these days, Diesel diet really increases your running and please keep this in mind when you decide Petrol vs Diesel. It indeed is a fact.

Odo reaching 500 km mark 100% city runs, fuel gauge managed to move off F mark and as i suspected this fill took substantially more gas than last time, maybe also due to gas lock in the first fill.

White color is a small pain if you believe in details and park underneath trees, the tree sap if not attended will leave subtle stains which are high lightened in white.

cheers
Jaggu
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks