Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2020, 21:37   #1
BHPian

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel

Hello people,

This thread is about our Honda City iDTEC,which we bought in 2017 when it had run just 35000 Kms from a doctor,who had bought a Polo GT TSI as a replacement for the City as his hospital was near to his house.

Part-I

Prologue:

We usually prefer having 2 cars at home.But,in 2013,we used to have a Maruti 800,which was used by my mom for running errands and shopping visits.But,due to its age,we had to sell off the 800 for merely Rs.35000 to a known guy.Till 2014,we used to have a 1st gen 2005 Innova,which we bought it from our company in 2012 and used to have a 2012 VW Vento TDI 1.6,which we bought it used in 2013 when it was just 13000 Kms on the odo.We loved the Vento due to its build quality,torquey 1.6 TDI,timeless looks and what not.The only grouse with Vento was its heavy maintenance,yes,we had paid a hefty bill of Rs.60k just for replacing the clutch when the odo was just 45000 Kms.Then,in 2014-15,we started looking for a second car like new Innova,Polo GT TSI and others as Vento was the only car for us.Then in 2015,our Vento had met with a major accident,which my mom had hit the car to the Tata Sumo,which resulted in frontal damage.Again,we got the car repaired and got a bill of Rs.1.3L,which was reasonable than the Innova,which we got a bill of Rs.2L when it met with similar fate in 2016.After the accident of Vento,we had almost decided to exchange the Vento and buy another Vento but dropped the plan due to personal reasons.But,destiny had other plans.In 2015-end,we had shifted to the new location and due to this,we had dropped the second car plan for another 6 months.Life was running well with Vento until we bought a pre-worshipped Innova in 2016 from a close acquaintance,who purchased one of the last manufactured old gen Fortuner.We initially considered buying the Crysta as the primary car at the time of launch,but dropped the plan as it was overpriced and felt less comfortable than the Innova at that time.In the same year,after almost 2 months of purchasing Innova,the Innova had met with a major accident resulting in frontal damage,which costed Rs.2L.Till then,we had left with Vento only.Then,in end-2016,we had decided to sell off the Vento as it was expensive to maintain and had crossed 1,00,000 Kms on the odo,which results in lower resale value.Hence,in early 2017,we had approached a buyer and sold off the Vento for peanuts(the biggest regret we ever did) after doing 1,12,000 Kms on the odo and in that,we did exactly 1,00,000 Kms in almost 4 years of its ownership.After selling the Vento,we then started for looking for its replacement.

Why second car:

The need for second car is more important because the second car will be used by mom and myself and Innova became too big for our needs and hence,decided to keep Innova for highways and City for city runs and sometimes,whenever our driver is not available and mostly on Sundays whenever our driver doesn't come,my dad also drives the second car.Hence,the second car was needed at home.

Our requirements were:

-It had to be a Diesel as our running is 1500-2000 Kms a month though we were open to Petrol as well
-It should give good FE,which is important,according to my dad
-Safety features are important
-It should be new but we are open to used as well
-It should be within Rs.14-15L of budget

Here are the pics of our previous Vento,which we used it from 2013 till early-2017

More in part-II
Attached Thumbnails
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_7468.jpg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_7976.jpg  

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 16th November 2020 at 15:33.
car_guy1998 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 09:21   #2
BHPian

re: 3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel

Coming to part-II,

Cars we had considered were:

1.Hyundai Creta
2.Maruti Nexa Ciaz
3.VW Vento
4.Skoda Rapid
5.Maruti Nexa S-Cross

Hyundai Creta:

This is the car I have huge crush since it's launch.Had considered 1.6 SX,1.4S+ and 1.6 SX+ AT in Creta.Had decided to book this but had to drop since it was overpriced and 7 people in my dad's circle owns this car.

+ves of Creta:

+Looks-I've huge crush on this version since its launch
+Diesel AT
+Hyundai's proven A.S.S
+Rear seat comfort

-ves of Creta:

-Became too common on Hyderabad roads and in our localities-Whenever I go out,I find atleast 10 Cretas,that too in white on roads and in my locality too
-The variants which we were considering,were overpriced
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-1591697975_hyundai_creta_2017.jpg

Nexa Ciaz:

This car was strongly considered by my dad due to its higher FE and cheaper price tag.Had almost decided to book this one in June end before GST but after seeing the price tag of Alpha Smart Hybrid,which was ₹12.7L before GST now became ₹14L after GST.I felt ₹14L is not a worth for this car anymore after GST.All this later on.

+ves of Ciaz:

+Rear seat space
+VFM when compared to other cars,which we considered

-ves of Ciaz:

-It's a Maruti,the brand which I hate due to our relatives or close acquaintances having the cars from same brand
-Diesel engine was not as powerful as other Diesel-engined cars
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-ciaz2.png
VW Vento:

After getting used to Vento for almost 4 years,this was one of the strongest contender.Had considered Highline DSG and MT but I felt Vento is not a worth anymore and was not interested in buying another VW due to heavy maintenance costs and bad resale value.BTW,had TD of Vento TDI DSG in May 2017 and almost decided to buy one but dropped it due to the reasons mentioned above.

+ves of Vento:

+It's a VW
+Build quality is at its best
+Torquey and punchy Diesel engine
+Timeless looks
+Our service experience with VW was good

-ves of Vento:

-Already had a Vento before,so according to my dad,buying another VW wasn't worth anymore
-VW maintenance was expensive
-Poor resale value
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-vent1.jpg
Skoda Rapid:

Another strongest contender.In Jan 2017,we almost decided to book Rapid after selling Vento and went to Skoda showroom to book the Rapid but had taken some time for deciding whether to go for Rapid or not.But in the end,Rapid is out of list due to bad resale,Skoda A$$ and heavy maintenance costs.

+ves of Skoda Rapid:

+Build quality is at its best
+Torquey and punchy Diesel engine
+Timeless looks

-ves of Skoda Rapid:

-Expensive maintenance
-Poor resale value
-Reputation of Skoda A.S.S in Hyderabad as per my dad's friends,who own Superbs and Rapids
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-skoda_1_20190522_630_630.jpg
And finally,

Honda City :

My dream car since my childhood.I always wanted to have this car in my garage but bought Vento at that time due to lack of Diesel option in City.Had considered VMT new one which costs ₹14L on road Hyd.

+ves of City:

+Afterall its a Honda and king of C2 sedan segment
+Honda reliability
+Rear seat is too excellent and its a poor man's Superb and E-Class in terms of comfort
+Looks-Especially the rear one.It looks like BMW from rear and she looks hot in Golden Brown colour(my favourite colour in City)
+Resale Value
+Features like reverse camera,cruise control even in V version
+Pickup is decent

-ves of City:

-Build Quality-Not good as Vento but better than Maruti and others
-Low GC
-Horn sounds like meek meek
-Skinny tyres
-Diesel engine is not as good as Petrol Honda City and not torquey as Hyundais and VAGs but better than Ciaz
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-b2ap3_large_hondacityside.jpg
In the end,dad had almost decided to book the Ciaz until his friend suggested to look at the City as Ciaz was underpowered and at the same time,GST was announced,which resulted in price increase of Ciaz being Hybrid Diesel.I even cried in front of my dad and pestered him a lot by not making him book the Ciaz.

More on Part-III

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 16th November 2020 at 15:07.
car_guy1998 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 09:25   #3
BHPian

Coming to part-III,

After seeing all new cars,we had considered some used cars like Laura,Superb,Jetta and others but removed from the list due to its future.And one fine day,I was searching for used City Diesels but all were high run and abused one.I had seen few City Diesels sold by Honda dealers until I saw my Brown Phantom.On Jul 3rd,when I was searching for used Honda City Diesels,I had found 2 used City Diesels(one was 2015 UT colour City VX Diesel sold by dealer and it has run 14000 Kms and asking price was Rs.11.75L and City VMT Diesel 2014(Brown Phantom) for Rs.8.5L.The 2015 City's last asking price was Rs.11.5L by Honda dealer and decided to check her.Then I came across Brown Phantom afterwards and took the number of the seller and had a phone call of about 5-10 minutes with seller.He said,the reason for selling this car is he bought Polo GT TSI and since then,he stopped driving City so he was willing to sell off the car.And,on Jul 5th evening,went to his hospital along with my dad,to check the car(he works as a Doctor in that hospital).Saw the car and had a chat with that seller and my dad had negotiated it to Rs.7.9L and decided that she will be coming into my garage.So,on Jul 7th,paid a token amount of Rs.1.5L to the seller as we had decided to take loan on City.So,after a week,sent documents for loan and agonizing wait had started.I used to pester my dad,"when will the City comes to us?"On 20th Jul,the loan got approved and next day,mom had signed the agreement of loan and the car was supposed to come on Monday(Jul 24th) but due to payment issues(later we paid through RTGS to the seller).On 25th Jul,after my college got finished,went to dad's place and I got a mail from the loan guy regarding transfer papers and immediately took the printouts of those papers and went to the seller's place with dad in the seller's Polo GT TSI and the seller had given us the necessary documents of car and second key.The seller had signed the papers and gave the keys to us and said bye to him and dad drove less than Km and handed the car to driver to get the wash done and Pooja done and dad went in Innova along with him and myself went in City with driver and after few Kms,got her a well deserved wash and went to get the Pooja done and went home and parked the car.My mom doesn't even know that dad is getting this car until she saw her getting parked inside the house and dad said,I have surprised you by buying this car and she got shocked.Another gesture is the previous owner had given the car along with body cover and magnetic shades.Good gesture na

Now,coming to the advantages and disadvantages of our own 2014 Honda City:

+ves of City:

+Its a Honda
+Rear seat space
+Frugal Diesel engine and great FE-Getting around 21 Kmpl to 23.5 Kmpl on highways while it gives 16.5 Kmpl to 18 Kmpl in city limits
+Reliabilty
+Low maintenance-lesser when compared to our own Innova and previous Vento
+Looks like BMW 3-series from rear and can be called as "Sasti wali BMW"
+Easy to drive nature-we prefer taking this out over our Innova in city just because its easier to drive

-ves of City:

-Build Quality-Not good as Vento but better than Maruti and others
-Features like flip key,remote boot button,leather seats and Push button missing in V variant
-Low GC-my parents complained about this issue and a tyre upsize had solved this issue
-Horn sounds like meek meek-changed to Skoda type horns for 2 times
-Skinny tyres-changed to Yokohama S-Drives 195/60R15,which are the end of its life after doing 45000 Kms on these tyres
-Diesel engine-although its decent to drive in the city traffic,it felt linear on highways and IMO,I still feel Petrol is the best in Honda City and its Diesel is not as punchy as Hyundais and VAGs as it is mostly tuned for FE

This is the first pic of our City after taking delivery and that pic was taken at a local wash center when the car was getting washed to get the Puja done at our favourite Hanuman temple and other set of pics were taken after 3 days of ownership.

More on part-IV
Attached Thumbnails
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_9406.jpg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_9429.jpg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_9433.jpg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_9430.jpg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_9431.jpg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_9432.jpg  

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 12th October 2020 at 18:39.
car_guy1998 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:07   #4
BHPian

Coming to part-IV,

Living with Honda City after 3.5 years:

Life with the Honda City has been good so far.It is mostly driven by my mom to her office,which is just 13 Kms from our house.Hence,her daily drive translates to 25 Kms per day in city traffic.I felt that we could have bought Petrol AT considering her running but my dad was hell bent on a Diesel car due to Kitna Deti Hai? factor.That's the reason we had bought a Diesel car over a Petrol car eventhough our running is just 25 Kms per day in the city limits.But,whenever my dad is not in a mood to take the Innova due to less fuel efficiency,he prefers taking Honda City out along with the driver or he himself drives the car whenever the driver is not available.Even I also prefer driving Honda City over Innova on any types of roads as it is easier to drive and gives good FE.
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-1df785973b46472a97c4f1286991eaae.jpeg

Now coming to the observations of the City after 3 years of its usage:

Exterior:

The Honda City looks smashing from rear and looks beautiful in golden brown colour,which is also my favourite colour and from rear,it can be called as "Sasti Wali BMW"
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-1a589caf16bb4c07a556187a6d7abfb5.jpeg

Rear seat space:

Rear seat space is the another reason why we bought the Honda City.It has oodles of comfort and leg space when compared to our previous Vento.And,BTW,3 people can be seated comfortably without any issues

Driveability:

Driveability in city limits is quite decent but on highways,it feels linear as it is more tuned for FE and not as torquey and punchy as VAGs and Hyundais in terms of performance.And,gearbox and clutch is also smoother than VAGs but not as smooth as Hyundais and Kias

Engine refinement:

The engine noise is audible when you are out but not as audible as VAGs and not as well refined as Hyundais.But,I didn't feel much audible when I'm inside the car and while driving the car

Mileage:

I get the FE of around 16.5-18 Kmpl in the city even after driving in spirit mode.While on the highways,we get around 21-22 Kmpl(haven't checked the FE on highways much) and in mixed conditions,we get around 19 Kmpl.Once we got 24 Kmpl too when our driver did a sedate driving on ORR with cruise control on most of the time.

The least I got is I guess around 15 Kmpl

Features:

It has quite decent features,which is ok for a 2014 version.My V version is equipped with climate control,alloy wheels,music system with reverse camera but lacked leather seats,sunroof and push button start,which later got resolved in 2017 version.But,for now,I don't feel like missing sunroof in my car but my next car should have sunroof

Boot space:

It has good boot space and can manage around 6-7 heavy bags easily and luckily,the underbody didn't get bottomed eventhough it had heavy bags

Ground Clearance:

The only major grouse with the City is its ground clearance.We travel on lots of bad roads which results in scraping the underbody.Hence,we always be careful whenever we drive on bad roads.That's the reason,I got it changed to 195/60R15 tyres and will be changing to same size again

Coming to comparision between our City and previous Vento,which we had:

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-030df2d4426d4cb0972b3fbb6ae15dcc.jpeg
Where City trumps Vento:

+Reliability
+Less maintenance costs
+More fuel efficiency
+Rear seat space
+Features like reverse camera

Where Vento trumps City:

+Build quality
+Torquey 1.6 TDI
+Fun to drive nature

Usage of the car in 3 years of ownership,Upgrades or mods,service costs and replacements,issues,accidents and conclusion on this car will be discussed in final part of this review i.e,Part-V

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 16th November 2020 at 17:05.
car_guy1998 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 11:46   #5
BHPian

Coming to final part along with conclusion,

Usage of car in 3 years of ownership:

In first year of its ownership,we had run 24000 Kms while in second year of ownership,we had run 16000 Kms(running got reduced a bit due to my mom's daily usage) and in third year of ownership,we had run 18000 Kms.In 3 years and 3 months,we had run 61000 Kms with the City till date and now the present odo is at close to 99000 Kms and in few days,we are gonna complete 1,00,000 Kms.In real life,the car is mostly driven within city limits with occassional or emergency highway drives.Whenever my mom doesn't have any work at her office,myself and my dad take the car out while I myself take the car out almost everyday just for timepass
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-c05418bfbf6448c998c9f96d210ed9ae.jpeg
Upgrades or mods done till now:

1.Changed to Yokohama S-Drives 195/60R15 when it was at 51000 Kms on the odo and now needs replacement as it has run 45000 Kms on these.Considering Yokohama Earth-1 in same size as GC is the main priority for us and have quite good experiences with these tyres,which are on our Innova as well

2.Changed the stock horns to Bosch Symphony at the 5th month of ownership and ran well for 2.2 years until it went kaput and later replaced to Hella Chrome trumpets in Feb 2020 and running well

3.Got the stock alloys painted to gloss black as I got bored with its stock looks in August 2020

4.Got 50% visibility tints and door visors installed simultaneously in 2018

5.Got new number plates from Turbo plates,which I found it through instagram,which costed me Rs.3000 in Feb 2020

Service costs and replacement of parts till now:

Till now,the service cost of Honda City iDTEC is quite reasonable if not it's cheaper to maintain than our Innova and previous Vento.In comparision,the service cost of our City is even cheaper than my cousin's 2015 Celerio AMT,where he got Rs.8k just 30K Kms service.

Here is the history of service done till now:

1.Paid Rs.11,800 during 40,000 Kms service,which included the replacement of brake pads as the SA had warned us that it will run less than 1000 Kms.Hence,we got it replaced.If not,the service bill would be just Rs.8000 only.That happened in October 2017

2.Paid Rs.6152 during 50,000 Kms service,which included the replacement of wiper blades.That happened in March 2018

3.Paid Rs.10,864 during 60,000 Kms service as it was a major service.I exactly don't remember the replacements happened during that service.That happened in October 2018

4.Paid Rs.27,200 during 70,000 Kms service,which included the overhauling of clutch and replacement of brake pads and discs.Clutch overhaul costed us just Rs.11.5k,which is way cheaper than our Innova and previous Vento.That happened in June 2019

5.Paid Rs.11,000 during 80,000 Kms service as it was second major service.During that service,we had replaced ignition lock,which went kaput,for Rs.14000 at dealer itself.That happened in November 2019

6.Paid Rs.8243 during 90,000 Kms service,which included replacement of wiper blades again.That happened in the end of August 2020

Issues faced till now:

1.ABS sensor issue-The ABS light has been glowing since last 2 years,which we got used to it for now.When we wanted to replace the ABS sensor,the ASC had quoted a whopping Rs.40k just for ABS sensor and we said thank you and we will replace it later when need arises.

2.In Jan 2018,AC was not cooling properly.The problem was when we gave our City to another driver(not our regular driver),he had scraped it to the speedbreaker and AC gas had been leaking.I felt that AC compressor had gone kaput,but thankfully,it didn't happen and saved Rs.20k on this.Instead,got the AC gas refilled and got the bulk head repaired,which had bent and due to this,AC was not cooling.

3.RHS door(the one beside driver seat) power window got jammed on its own and later,it started working without any Jugaads.

4.Ignition lock went kaput.We changed the whole lockset during 80,000 Kms service and no issues faced till now.

5.3 weeks ago,when my mom was going to her workplace,suddenly the water had entered into the gearbox and clutch due to floods that happened near her workplace.So,immediately sent the car to local FNG and got the water removed for Rs.2000 and running smooth without any issues.

Accidents/Incidents happened till now:

1.A bus driver had hit the driver side ORVM of the car and to get new one,it costed me ₹6k to replace it and it was complete fault of bus driver.Luckily nothing happened to door and fender but lost the ORVM cover.This happened just after a month of ownership

2.When my mom was waiting in the traffic,a lady in the Polo had hit the Phantom from backside and luckily nothing happened to tail light and bumper came out a bit without any dents and after one hour,we had pushed the inside with the help of my driver.Except light scratches and slight paint chipping on bottom of rear bumper light,nothing happened to the bumper.This happened just after 2 days of above incident.

3.When my mom was driving the car,an auto trolley came and hit the front bumper of Phantom and bumper got broken a bit.I don't know why the accidents are happening since past 20 days.This is the 3rd time happened in almost 2 months of ownership.This happened in the same year same month.But,later replaced the bumper along with ORVM.

4.An auto driver had hit the car when the car was on stationery while he was drunk,which resulted the dent on the front bumper.That happened in November 2017.

5.A school bus had hit my car when my mom and my driver was on traffic few days ago and car had suffered with minor dent on left quarter panel.That happened in March 2018.

6.When my dad was coming from our school,a moron,Tata Ace had hit our car,which resulted in small dent on driver side.That happened in April 2018.

7.Just few days after the 6th incident,when my mom was driving the car,a reckless autowalla bruised the car.

8.When my mom was driving to her workplace,a reckless cab wallah Dzire hit the vehicle from left side and fled away from the spot.When my mom tried to stop that fellow,he didn't even see and ran away immediately to avoid hassles from my mother.After this,she called my father and told about this incident.Immediately after the call,I took out my Aprilia SR150 keys and went along with dad to the accident spot and shocked to see that the bumper has come out and a dent on left side fender.Immediately called my driver to bring our Innova and my parents took the Innova and I went home by Aprilia and driver took the City to mom's workplace and we had put the bumper into the trunk.That happened in September 2018.

9.A biker guy had damaged rear tail light when we were going to my college.That happened in June 2018.

10.In Jan 2019,when my mom was parking at a restaurant,she had bruised the running board to an iron rod.

11.In Dec 2019,when our driver was opening the door,a reckless biker,he was on phone when he was riding,had hit the door,which resulted the dent on the driver door.

12.A day after Diwali in this year,while I was reversing the car,an Etios guy had hit the car and resulted in whole scratches on bumper.
Here is a picture of accident,which happened on that day:
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-4767920ad1004247b8151a7eed73a837.jpeg

Apart from these,there are some chota mota,I mean minor accidents happened.For now,planning to get the car repainted soon by removing those dents and scratches.

Highway trips done till now:

To be frank,we've done only Hyderabad-Warangal trips for numerous times in this car along with trips to our hometown,which is just 60 Kms away from our home.Along with this,we had went to newly opened Kondapochamma reservoir,which is 55 Kms away from Hyderabad and few trips to Karimnagar,Nizamabad,Mahboobnagar etc.And,this car hasn't crossed the state yet.It was driven within the limits of Telangana state.If we cross the state or there are people of more than 4 or 5,we prefer taking our Innova.

Future plans/upgrades on this car:

1.Get the car repainted at dealer or local FNG
2.Get the wrap for front grille
3.Change the bulbs to LED's
4.Change the seat covers,which are showing signs of age and those seat covers came with it during its purchase
5.Get the ABS sensor replaced

Few points which I had noted during the car purchase were:

1.The City is our first Honda,second Diesel sedan,third sedan(first was Ford Ikon Petrol and second was VW Vento TDI)
2.This is our first TS registered car.Our previous cars were registered to AP before bifurcation.
3.When my dad felt that AC cooling was less,he by mistakenly switched off the AC(middle button) and I had to switch on that middle button.
4.My friend(City VX Diesel 2014 owner),had warned me to take care of City's GC as its bumper is bit lower.

Conclusion:

Honda City was and is my dream car since my childhood.It has good rear seat space,it is fairly reliable,has easy to drive nature.But,I recommend buying Honda City if it is only Petrol due to its iVTEC engine.When it comes to Diesel,I'll look further like Verna or VAG twins(when it comes to used as new Diesels are not available anymore) along with C-SUVs and Crossovers.

Will I recommend buying Honda City?Yes,if it is a Petrol version.

Will we sell this car?As of now,no due to this covid situation and it is the most loved car among our family due to its fuel efficiency.We might retain this car for atleast 1.5-2 years from now on as we had purchased a new house recently.
Attached Thumbnails
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-4fdac926dca44af4ac2f40150a2bf317.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-a6215cd85bf543cca70b1887af47b449.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-639f758a9cea47d0992945f56a4861ed.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-c628d1baf83d468d80271284bb69db8a.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-a17a9e4edde44df7bd91bfbcb5915082.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-718261ebdea849b48de751a2a9dbbde7.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-08de6e96d7844203bbcf08a14d4b9ef6.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-cd2e4760f5bd438a997464905e8894d6.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-68a1dd0f48524dc6a5c2725644b15177.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-4861712742e44dae9cec0338d86183ae.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-809263dd9caf4143bd722c0d4c742274.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-d27d8cc551784696b25d42f124768c3b.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-5b230719f3db490cb5c18234d9afe32b.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-ed6b9954401841dca7eed31da6710925.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-a64b79812dae45608cfab5c6f03a8da6.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-292829d0937a47028ff28eba07a69844.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-b1704c74c4db452d8f1fb694eab3aded.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-3b3af7ded555441494cfd152c23ecd29.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-f5708a5005164a37a064b2e28416f579.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-b329ffb6fd1c40c8aea26f2807cef1fc.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-f0290281096842a1aef6733521c26bfc.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-64f65214a02c40a3ac5c0329792d230b.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-4b1b9097c86648fdacd84d9046938964.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-0484f2889b514550ae4256563df106c3.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-fb9bf4560bc5440fa3db5c00e16c6e1a.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-d81bec4273d7431c921ac4fa9ce9414f.jpeg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-fe650d9e387a4321863618511e5f91f0.jpeg  

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 16th November 2020 at 15:27.
car_guy1998 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 08:17   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Reviews Section. Thanks for sharing!

Your car is going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 10:04   #7
BHPian

Thanks for moving the thread GTO!

And,I’m happy to see that my ownership review is trending in this forum😀
Attached Thumbnails
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-103b35d818a043b4a666ed7fe801dd3b.jpeg  

car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:55   #8
BHPian

Very good ownership thread. You have covered both buying pre worshipped and maintenance of the same.

Coming to City diesel, I own one and its practical. It does not like to be revved even mildly, worse than other diesel sedans. However, over the time I observed that if we dont go hard on accelerator, it manages very sweetly all day long. So I changed driving style to match the car.

Earlier City ZX petrol does not have manual and only ZX has 6 air bags, so had settled on diesel. As you mentioned, the FE is very good both in city/highway
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirumalavoleti View Post
Very good ownership thread. You have covered both buying pre worshipped and maintenance of the same.

Coming to City diesel, I own one and its practical. It does not like to be revved even mildly, worse than other diesel sedans. However, over the time I observed that if we dont go hard on accelerator, it manages very sweetly all day long. So I changed driving style to match the car.

Earlier City ZX petrol does not have manual and only ZX has 6 air bags, so had settled on diesel. As you mentioned, the FE is very good both in city/highway
Thanks for the compliment brother and glad to see that you are also from Hyderabad.

I agree with you regarding drivability of the Honda City Diesel.I feel the same whenever I drive the car and this engine is tuned for sedate driving along with FE.

BTW,what’s your Honda city model?
Old 17th November 2020, 13:49   #10
BHPian

Very nicely written mate!
Especially interested in this as I am looking to upgrade from tiago to a used Honda city diesel in next one year timeline.
Thanks for your detailed information.
Torq is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 15:59   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post

Issues faced till now:

1.ABS sensor issue-The ABS light has been glowing since last 2 years,which we got used to it for now.When we wanted to replace the ABS sensor,the ASC had quoted a whopping Rs.40k just for ABS sensor and we said thank you and we will replace it later when need arises.
This could be a loose connection between the sensor wiring. I have had this issue in my 3rd Gen City, all it needed was a connection rewiring. The ASS may be trying to earn some extra monies by quoting a replacement. If the design/placement of the sensor has not been changed in the 4th Gen, it should be in the same place, that is, the left side of the front bumper.

Hope this helps.
aghate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Very nicely written mate!
Especially interested in this as I am looking to upgrade from tiago to a used Honda city diesel in next one year timeline.
Thanks for your detailed information.
I'm glad that my review has helped you so much.But,I suggest you to get the Honda City Diesel post 2014-15 as these versions have some issues.But,IMO,I suggest you to get Honda City Petrol over Diesel as the Petrol one will be fun to drive over the Diesel.The primary reason for buying Diesel is due to our high running and Kitna Deti Hai factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Congratulations on the car!

This could be a loose connection between the sensor wiring. I have had this issue in my 3rd Gen City, all it needed was a connection rewiring. The ASS may be trying to earn some extra monies by quoting a replacement. If the design/placement of the sensor has not been changed in the 4th Gen, it should be in the same place, that is, the left side of the front bumper.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the compliment.

Regarding the ABS light issue,my ASC had seen the same and he said that the whole ABS sensor should be replaced and it costs around Rs.40k.That was in the year 2018 when we had given the car for 60,000 Kms service.

Will try this with expert mechanic next time or will try when I give the car for 1,00,000 Kms service,which is due soon.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:51   #13
BHPian

Thank you for sharing. Very very nicely written.
This Diwali, we replaced our Ecosport with a used petrol 2019 Honda City VX MT. Due to lower monthly running petrol made slightly more sense to us.
Attached Thumbnails
3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_20201113_164624.jpg  

3-years with a pre-owned Honda City Diesel-img_20201113_164930.jpg  

vellatechie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 18:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Thank you for sharing. Very very nicely written.
This Diwali, we replaced our Ecosport with a used petrol 2019 Honda City VX MT. Due to lower monthly running petrol made slightly more sense to us.
Thanks for the compliment and welcome to Honda City club.Any reason for replacing the Ecosport with Honda City?

If you don't mind,can you please share the details and price of your newly acquired Honda City?
Old 17th November 2020, 19:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Thanks for the compliment and welcome to Honda City club.Any reason for replacing the Ecosport with Honda City?

If you don't mind,can you please share the details and price of your newly acquired Honda City?
Both our cars were 7-10yr old and due for an upgrade. The plan was to buy Thar (or XUV500, New 4x4 Hexa(?), or Harrier) this year and a second car next year. Big SUV was supposed to be for the big SUV sake and the second is supposed to be an everyday car. We decided to push the big purchase for next year.

For the second car, our budget was 8-11L and we were looking at the new Sonnet or a good used petrol car deal. We got this 2019 VX MT City, 11,000 on the odo for 9.10L.
vellatechie is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed