Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th October 2020, 20:32   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting

Hey 300 KMPH.

Posts like yours make people have trust in these vehicles.

I myself bought a pre-worshipped Vento at 108000 kms

A senior of mine had one and I just drooled over it every single time I drove it. It was also driven for more than a lakh kilometres which ensured my trust in this car.

I am at 140000 kms and wish to keep her for long.

Btw, I texted you on instagram too for a query regarding coolant and brake pad.

Happy mile munching!
Old 18th October 2020, 22:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
1. Reliability & long service-interval (15,000 kms / 365 days)
2. Fantastic balance of Performance & Fuel Economy (Min: 14.5 kpl, Max: 20 kpl)
4. Ride quality (especially high speed rough patches)
It might have been lucky for you not to have injector issues and not to spend 80000+ bucks for injector replacement. BTW I have read that some garage(s?) in Mumbai do the injector cleaning to make them reusable at a very affordable price. The clutch and gearbox durability is not the best in class. Vento is not particularly known for reliability. I don't think it would be as reliable as the Honda City which is in the same segment. (I am not saying City is the best car. I don't like it's bouncy ride at high speeds.)

I owned a Vento DSG Diesel for a couple of years. Never got a fuel efficiency of more than 10-11 Kmpl in city. (I did the calculations more than 50 odd times by tank to tank method by filling at BaratGas, HP, Indian Oil and Shell pumps across a ownership period of 2 years and 30000 Km). On highways I had to be extra cautious to extract 18-19 Kmpl. Bit of mountains and some traffic would instantly reduce the highway fuel efficiency to 15Kmpl. I don't think Vento's engine is tuned for fuel efficiency. The highway figures are good but even a bit of variation in traffic, road condition etc. brings a significant drop in fuel efficiency.

Ride quality is subjective but I felt Vento was exceptionally good on highways and extreme opposite on broken roads. I have driven it on some really bad patches and it gets frustrating to drive about 100Km on completely broken roads due to the jerks the suspension gives and harshness of gravels and potholes that creeps into the cabin. Cars with softer suspension setup will perform better there. In my opinion Vento is not designed for extremely bad broken roads which can be found in almost every state in India.

And also, I personally hate window noises. Makes me feel like sitting in a state transport bus. Though people have posted about hacks around the window noise problem it's still a common issue with VW cars like Polo and Vento.

VW has been trying to make sporty (in comparison to other cars in segment) cars affordable. I think they are best suited for spirited runs on smooth highways. I don't think anybody looking only for fuel efficiency and reliability would turn to VW.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 23:17   #18
BHPian

Wonderful ownership thread 300 KMPH. Great to know about no mechanical drama in your 160000 kms. You have taken good care of car and it shows. Getting it painted regularly along with technical overhaul has given great results.

We also had an April 2003 Indica LSI in (floral?) green. I too, briefly pondered over Vento MPI in 2013 before taking the plunge for Linea Tjet . We sold Indica after running it around for 56K km in 15 years due to parking issues.

Cheers for many more kms for your Vento!
Old 19th October 2020, 00:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParsiStig View Post
This is a very well written article. Congratulations and fingers crossed you don't get the infamous injector failure which I had in 2016 in my 2012 Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI.

2011-2012 cars are plagued with injector issues compared to the later models. But the first models had a much more premium sounding horn, motion sensor, etc. And I love the wheels on the type 1 Vento more than that of my car. They used to look very mature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.kokra View Post
Hey 300 KMPH.

I myself bought a pre-worshipped Vento at 108000 kms

I am at 140000 kms and wish to keep her for long.

Btw, I texted you on instagram too for a query regarding coolant and brake pad.
Just now went through my Instagram to find the message. Didn't know you bought the car pre-owned. Buying a pre-owned Vento is a daring act buddy. Just use it to it's full potential and you'll be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
It might have been lucky for you not to have injector issues and not to spend 80000+ bucks for injector replacement. BTW I have read that some garage(s?) in Mumbai do the injector cleaning to make them reusable at a very affordable price. The clutch and gearbox durability is not the best in class. Vento is not particularly known for reliability. I don't think it would be as reliable as the Honda City which is in the same segment. (I am not saying City is the best car. I don't like it's bouncy ride at high speeds.)

I owned a Vento DSG Diesel for a couple of years. Never got a fuel efficiency of more than 10-11 Kmpl in city. (I did the calculations more than 50 odd times by tank to tank method by filling at BaratGas, HP, Indian Oil and Shell pumps across a ownership period of 2 years and 30000 Km). On highways I had to be extra cautious to extract 18-19 Kmpl. Bit of mountains and some traffic would instantly reduce the highway fuel efficiency to 15Kmpl. I don't think Vento's engine is tuned for fuel efficiency. The highway figures are good but even a bit of variation in traffic, road condition etc. brings a significant drop in fuel efficiency.

Ride quality is subjective but I felt Vento was exceptionally good on highways and extreme opposite on broken roads. I have driven it on some really bad patches and it gets frustrating to drive about 100Km on completely broken roads due to the jerks the suspension gives and harshness of gravels and potholes that creeps into the cabin. Cars with softer suspension setup will perform better there. In my opinion Vento is not designed for extremely bad broken roads which can be found in almost every state in India.

And also, I personally hate window noises. Makes me feel like sitting in a state transport bus. Though people have posted about hacks around the window noise problem it's still a common issue with VW cars like Polo and Vento.

VW has been trying to make sporty (in comparison to other cars in segment) cars affordable. I think they are best suited for spirited runs on smooth highways. I don't think anybody looking only for fuel efficiency and reliability would turn to VW.
There are multiple workshops who work on these complicated euro cars on half the price. What you must've heard about EGR & not injectors.

Talking about clutch & gearbox, it all depends upon how one uses them. Highway usage will boost its life. Heavy city usage will just accelerate the wear.

About reliability, the Vento is surely not known for reliability. The reason I've mentioned reliability in 'likes' because its my experience with my Vento. Not necessarily it applies to all Ventos. There might be better cars in the segment but when we bought this car, there was only Verna available in diesel & Linea diesel was very underpowered on paper with very bad service backup in Mumbai as well as Nasik. But since the Vento's decision was already made, it was better to concentrate on what we had bought & how to make it run good.

Vento TDI DSG with 10-11 kpl in city are very good figures for 1.5L 103 bhp engine with so much body weight. Again, on highways, 18-19 kpl for TDI DSG is exceptional I would say. I've max achieved 20 kpl. Extra carefulness is needed to achieve good figures. Not all cars can do 0-100 in 11 seconds & deliver 20+ kpl. There might be a few examples.

Your views on ride quality are sort of right. On extremely bad broken roads, it won't be the most comfortable because it is low-slung (relatively) & designed for high-speed cruising like most of the European cars. But driving on completely broken roads constantly for 100 kms, even a Rolls Royce would be annoying for me

Window noises is the least thing to worry about in a VW for me. Getting from Point A to Point B in comfort without consuming lot of fuel is the utmost priority for me which the car has been delivering me.

You're absolutely correct that VW is best suited for spirited runs on smooth highways. That's what the car is designed for. And anyway, anybody looking only for fuel efficiency & reliability will go for a smaller entry level diesel hatchback as sedan buyers surely have many other priorities. Sub 4m sedans is the solution for the people who want a mix of both. I hope you agree.

Anyway, this is just my experience with my Vento. A person looking for any other car may not even read this thread & that is one of the reasons I never compared my car with any other in this thread. Thankfully we have variety of options in the segment including mini-SUVs. What suits us has to be chosen by us ultimately. Cheers bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
You have taken good care of car and it shows. Getting it painted regularly along with technical overhaul has given great results.

We also had an April 2003 Indica LSI in (floral?) green. I too, briefly pondered over Vento MPI in 2013 before taking the plunge for Linea Tjet . We sold Indica after running it around for 56K km in 15 years due to parking issues.
Trust me, there has been no special care taken of my car. Just regular servicing has been followed in it's life. It's been regularly painted. Something I'm not happy about to be honest because the paint doesn't fade at all & would have been great to see it's gloss after so much of use.

Your 2003 Indica LSi must be Mint Blue or Aqua Green. Mint Blue was discontinued & Aqua Green was introduced. Later, Aqua Green was discontinued & Coral Green was introduced on 1st October, 2003 if my memory serves me right.
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 01:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
What you must've heard about EGR & not injectors.

Talking about clutch & gearbox, it all depends upon how one uses them.

Vento TDI DSG with 10-11 kpl in city are very good figures for 1.5L 103 bhp engine with so much body weight.

But driving on completely broken roads constantly for 100 kms, even a Rolls Royce would be annoying for me

And anyway, anybody looking only for fuel efficiency & reliability will go for a smaller entry level diesel hatchback as sedan buyers surely have many other priorities. Sub 4m sedans is the solution for the people who want a mix of both. I hope you agree.
Had seen some youtoube videos about injector repairs for rapid/vento.

Sure, clutch/gearbox life is usage dependent but probably for same kind of usages Hondas tend to last longer. This is bases on multiple feedbacks from Honda owners.

Was just stating my experience with Vento's Fuel efficiency. It was much lower than 14 kmpl in city for me.

Na... Rolls Royce is too far away. Had a chance to drive jeep compass on broken roads. Totally impressed. In Vento's price range you get Duster which is leagues ahead vento in ride quality on bad roads and also comes with highway stability.... But like you said what we get is up to us... Everything has pros and cons.

As much as I came across peoples opinions, even luxury car buyers prefer fuel efficient cars and hence BMW 320d is more preferred in India than 330i. Even though 330i is designed for sportier performance people think it has higher maintenance and less reliability than diesel because it has such an impression . (petrol vs diesel). People have ditched Skoda Octavia for a Corolla for sake of reliability even though not much is missing in the octavia and it offers much more than a corolla and it is probably the segment best or at least the second in segment.
People tend to save pennies in every segment..

Glad to see your vento last so long. I hope you have many more miles with a greatly built car.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 20:12   #21

Here is our 2011 Vento TDI which completed 9 years today and has clocked over 1.25lakh kms and still going strong without any issues *touchwood*.

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-img_20201019_20211601-1.jpeg

Before this we had a 1998 Zen. Back in 2010 we started looking for a new car around 10 lakhs and my dad had made up his mind to buy the Polo but was not impressed with the 3 cylinder engine. So we decided to wait for the Vento. One thing was for sure that the car was going to be a diesel because of the high price difference between petrol and diesel else we would have gone for the Jazz. My dad was very much impressed with the jazz because of the space which it provided despite being a hatch.

So when the Vento was launched we decided to check it out and my dad loved it. Just to check out other cars we went to Ford as the VW and Ford dealerships were on the same road (Thane). We found the Fiesta to be cramped at the back and the experience with the dealer was not good as well (The SA said that the test-drive vehicle would come in 5 mins but it never came). Other car we checked out was the fluidic Verna but found the rear seats to be too low.

Then we booked the Vento on 14th April and got it on 20th October 2011. So far everything has been great. The service experience has been OK. The SA will try to sell a lot of extras. Average service costs around 10-17k from the Service center.

The car has had only one breakdown, my dad was going to Pune and while going the check engine light came on. He gave the car to service in Pune itself and the issue was that there was a small crack in the turbo hose pipe which costed 3k.

As everyone knows the positives I would like to tell what I didn't like about the car-
1. Headlight - The worst headlight beam award of the decade should go to the vento/polo.
2. AC- The AC takes its own sweet time to cool the cabin (almost 20-25 mins)
3. Seats- The front seats aren't that supportive,Honda city has much better seats.

I will not say anything about the driving feel because I have just learned to drive. Only once I have experienced the turbo feel when I was driving,the car was in third gear and the speed was around 10-15kmph. There was no car in front of us for atleast 100 meters I floored the accelerator and for a second the car made very slow progress and then the turbo came in and the car went past 60 within a few seconds I left the accelerator and said to myself be within your limits you are still a newbie.

Would share an extremely detailed review including all the service costs once the car becomes 10 years old.
Atharva4545 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 00:35   #22
BHPian

Hello,

While reading your story, somehow I was feeling that somewhere I have listen to the same story in one of the Youtube channels. Now I found that YouTube Video, hence sharing the same here. I think you (300 KMPH) were explaining the same story in this video. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 24th October 2020, 14:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
Hello,

I think you (300 KMPH) were explaining the same story in this video. Please correct me if I am wrong.

[/url]
Hey! You found the video! Yes, it is an ownership review of my very own car. I didn't post it here because it is not very well narrated & a bit too long IMO. I am planning to make a separate video on the interiors post detailing. Let's see how it goes.
Old 10th December 2020, 17:35   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

What a beaut of a thread...and here I was thinking mine is the Vento with most miles under her belt on the forum! Of course, mine is a petrol and an automatic to boot, so the 132,000 it's notched up are remarkable for sure

Your thread only underlines the point I make often to friends with respect to my car- the VW Vento is a workhorse and will never let you down, provided you stick to the basics of Car Maintenance 101. My own car has never missed a routine service (1 year/15,000 km). It's on its 5th set of tyres, 3rd set of brake discs, and had a major suspension overhaul and steering fluid change at 120K. That translates to an annual cost of ~10K to ~20K which sounds like a lot but is the price you pay for peace of mind and never breaking down on the highway.

My experience mirrors yours except that, being a petrol, it doesn't suffer from the progressive noisiness of engine that you have reported. We have a new beast in the garage now, so the Vento is relegated to second car status, but the missus and I love to take her out for a spin now and then!

Congrats on your car and wishing you many more miles!
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
steering fluid change
VW Vento has EPS and no fluid at all. What did the workshop change?

Quote:
Your thread only underlines the point I make often to friends with respect to my car- the VW Vento is a workhorse and will never let you down, provided you stick to the basics of Car Maintenance 101.
Absolutely true. Holding onto mine 1.6 TDi MT which will be a decade old in 2 months. Serviced at VW Workshop only.

Quote:
We have a new beast in the garage now
Which car did you upgrade to? VW Vento spoils you a lot.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 22:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
VW Vento has EPS and no fluid at all. What did the workshop change?
I meant transmission fluid, sorry. It was changed at 120k.

Quote:
Absolutely true. Holding onto mine 1.6 TDi MT which will be a decade old in 2 months. Serviced at VW Workshop only.
That's great to hear. We were the original Team BHP Vento Owners club weren't we? Mine also turns 10 next month.

Quote:
Which car did you upgrade to? VW Vento spoils you a lot.
Kia Seltos top-end diesel AT. It's a worthy replacement, though sometimes I miss being able to roll my windows up and down with the remote, among other things!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 22:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We were the original Team BHP Vento Owners club weren't we? Mine also turns 10 next month.
Yeah man; those were the days. SouravC, Ninjatalli, miharbe.

Best part being discovering new features in each others Vento and then going to VW Workshop to ask them to enable it via VAS. Workshop guys be like, this is also there

Still remember Auto-Lock at 15 Kmph was 1st discovered in your car.

VW India later learn't we can advertise these as features in brochure.

Quote:
Kia Seltos top-end diesel AT. It's a worthy replacement, though sometimes I miss being able to roll my windows up and down with the remote, among other things!
Congrats man. May you have many miles of trouble free ownership.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:22   #28
BHPian

My uncle's 2013 vento TDI HL has completed 1.96L kms. He faced the injectors issue once. A suspension overhaul is pending as of now.

Even after such a high usage, it's acceleration brings a wicked grin on your face. Although high on maintenance, it's tank like build is enough to convince you for a longer ownership.

Regards
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
What a beaut of a thread...and here I was thinking mine is the Vento with most miles under her belt on the forum! Of course, mine is a petrol and an automatic to boot, so the 132,000 it's notched up are remarkable for sure

steering fluid change at 120K. That translates to an annual cost of ~10K to ~20K which sounds like a lot but is the price you pay for peace of mind and never breaking down on the highway.

We have a new beast in the garage now, so the Vento is relegated to second car status, but the missus and I love to take her out for a spin now and then!

Congrats on your car and wishing you many more miles!
Thanks a lot Noopster! With age, the controls of my car have become heavy. I have been observing that the steering does feel heavy than what it should be & I've been observing this since the last 1000-2000 kms. Maybe I should consider changing power steering fluid. Will that help?

The brakes, throttle, clutch pedals have also become heavy. It feels a bit tiresome sometimes to drive in the city. But on the highway, its just rewarding because I do not like to drive cars with sensitive controls on the highway as most of my commute is on highway.

I wish to keep this car forever. Let's see how things workout. The car has delivered a lot to my family. The incidents which the car has shared with us in 7 years of ownership experience is equivalent to 10+ years of incidents in a regular family owned car.

Last but not the least. People tailgating on highways suddenly lose all the interest in overtaking after seeing the way the car dethrones many newer cars. Not bragging, but always a surprise when such a simple looking car delivers such kind of performance. I have a feeling it produces a lot more than the claimed 105 horsepower & 250 nm torque.
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
My uncle's 2013 vento TDI HL has completed 1.96L kms. He faced the injectors issue once. A suspension overhaul is pending as of now.

Even after such a high usage, it's acceleration brings a wicked grin on your face. Although high on maintenance, it's tank like build is enough to convince you for a longer ownership.

Regards
I would really appreciate some pics (interior + exterior). High runner Euro cars are very reliable & rewarding.

Dear mods, kindly merge this reply with my previous reply. I missed reading this post so didn't multi-quote & ended up replying separately. Thank you.

Most Viewed