Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 20:18   #31
BHPian

Re: 2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting

Around February of 2020, there was a slight increase in road noise of the car which was not noticeable easily. After 2020 rains, there was a loud humming noise from the front RHS of the car between 60-80 kph & used to reduce post 100 kph.

I had a similar issue in one of my other cars but that was due to the age of tyres on that car which had made them really hard. Vento's tyres were changed a year ago so it was not really possible for the tyres to make that noise.

On inspection at a tyre shop in city of Nasik, it was discovered that rear LHS wheel bearing had gone bad. Car was jacked up & all wheels were manually rotated to check for vibrations. The rear LHS fender was having horrific vibration which was getting resonated in the cabin throughout.

Going to the official service centre would've consumed my entire day so a trusted mechanic got the original part & he replaced the old part with a new one.

The hub including the bearing costed 2600/- & fitting was 600/-

Total amount was 3200/-

Now, the car is again very silent & the noise isn't there anymore. Other 3 bearings are doing fine as of now.

Attaching the pic of old wheel hub. All rusty & worn out bearing.

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-img_20210112_162233__01.jpg
300 KMPH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 10:00   #32
BHPian

Hi 300 KMPH,

The bearings have given a great life. These many kilometers show that you have really babied the car.

One piece of advice I would say that please stock up the rest of the bearings, as they would be giving up soon.

During the lockdown, my rear 2 bearings had given up at around 138000 kms. Had to keep it like that all the while. Changed the front 2 as well just for safety purpose as I was heading for a 3000 km drive. And on opening I found out that, the front 2 were also about to give up any moment.

The price of boodmo is quite reasonable. 2100/- for the rear and 1600 for the front.

Good luck and many more happy and safe riding Kilometers.
Old 8th April 2021, 13:26   #33
BHPian

8 years complete!

My Vento turned 8 years old this 28th March, 2021. Luckily, it was a Sunday morning so I could spare some time to be spent with the car.

Fired up the engine & went on an early morning spin. I thought of clicking a photograph at the dealership to revive the memories. As it was an early morning, there were no cars parked at the delivery space so I had the opportunity to recreate the old photograph.

So with the permission of the guard, I parked the car at the same angle and with my all possible photography skills, clicked the car at the very same angle.

Now, there might be various other members here with much more heroic stories with larger odometer readings.

But, we never expected that our car will ever cross 50-60k kms. In fact, just had a long run of 400 kms yesterday. This lockdown would have not happened, I guess it would have seen much larger numbers.

Its still so easy on the pocket. The driver door does squeak a bit. But I prefer to keep it untouched then giving rise to new issues by trying to fix something unnecessarily.

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-vento-before-after.jpg

Fun Fact: The air-conditioner units in the background appear to be changed but my car's AC is still untouched
300 KMPH is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 22:03   #34
BHPian

It's an amazing thing to keep finding out new hidden features in this car even after owning it for 8 years. In fact, I guess some of the features may not be mentioned in the owner's manual as well.

At this point, I thought of compiling all such features and making a video on it which I finally did. I hope I've not missed anything this time or might as well find new ones in the coming years

Old 13th March 2022, 22:09   #35
BHPian

Living the retirement life.

My car retired its from daily duties in October 2021 at 1,71,000 kms. I changed the battery as I saw a battery warning light and the battery was already 3.5 years old. My first ABS sensor died after 8.5 long years (Front RHS) and I changed that as well for Rs. 1800-1900/-

Soon after that, I got a new car.

So the Vento is now for Sunday drives and I sometimes take it to work, like once in a week. In fact in 5 months, I did only around 1000 kms and it is now at 1,72,000 kms.

Reliability was a concern for me since I knew that this car would not be used regularly now. My car was reliable because I was daily driving it on highways and I was not sure it would serve the same.

How was the experience for 5 months?

Well, the Rear LHS ABS sensor gave up and the windshield washer motor had to be changed. Apart from that, its working perfectly well. Original windshield washer was expensive so got an aftermarket motor. The only noticeable difference is that it is not as powerful as the original motor. It was fixed in Rs. 800/-
Attachment 2284464

The only thing which is not working in the entire car is LHS headlamp bulb which needs to be changed.

Initially, my car was washed almost everyday but knowing how these guys wash the car (e.g. throwing left over water on wheels), I thought that it would be better to cover it up. Now I wash it only once a month as cover takes good care of it.

One of the screws of the bottom trim fell down and the same was hanging low. Got it fixed after installing a screw.
2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-bottom-trim.jpeg

Recently got a simple polish done as the paint had become very dull. I did not want to have a hard-core detail which would also remove the swirl marks car cover is again going to bring the swirl marks quickly. The only motive was to recover the gloss to some extent. I even got the broken mud-flaps removed as they were looking ugly.

Might soon go for a small cosmetic restoration. There are battle scars on bumpers, panels and headlamps have faded. I got my car checked from a couple of people from Mumbai who have worked extensively on European cars. They told me that the car is mechanically good and I need not touch any mechanical or electrical components.

Here is how the car looks. It will be 9 years old by the end of March 2022. Hope it remains with me forever.

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-2s.jpg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-1s.jpg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-3s.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th March 2022 at 07:24. Reason: edited
300 KMPH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 15:28   #36
BHPian

Complete Cosmetic Restoration at 1,72,000 kms

Hi all. Hope everyone is doing well. We are finally winning the battle against COVID and things are almost close to normal now.

Anyway, my Vento has been lately sitting idle at my residence as it is not a daily driver anymore. We all know how quickly German cars depreciate especially.

Since the car was always busy doing highway duties, we never really got the time to pay attention towards the cosmetics as mechanical condition was always our priority.

It was in early 2022, I had decided to restore this car but was not really sure. I always felt that if I again start daily driving the car, it will get filled with scratches and dings.

But my brother asked me to go ahead and pushed me to make the car cosmetically perfect and presentable in such a way that it should resemble the year 2013 again.

My car never visited anywhere outside apart from Volkswagen Service Centre but my friend Aakash was very confident about a neighbourhood garage as he was already doing bodywork on his W204 C-Class Kompressor there.

I visited the garage, and the garage owner seemed very confident on what he was doing and did not take me for a ride which unofficial service centres usually love to do. I also some lovely imports being restored cosmetically and mechanically upto my level of expectation and decided to go ahead.

As 28th March was the car's 9th birthday, I thought it would be a good initiative for the car and for me.

I took a quote and went for the following repairs:
  • Front and Rear Bumper repainting and realigment
  • Front RHS fender repaint
  • LHS and RHS Running board repair and repaint
  • RHS bottom part of doors to be repaired and only bottom part to be repainted
  • Boot sill inner lining to be repainted
  • Rims to be repainted
  • RHS quarter panel trim to be replaced
  • Both headlights and LHS taillight to be replaced
  • Fresh set of number plates

My main goal was to make the car presentable. Now bodywork isn't rocket science, so let the pics do the talking

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-1.jpg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-2.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-3.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-4.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-5.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-6.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-7.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-8.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-9.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-10.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-11.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-12.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-13.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-14.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-15.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-16.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-17.jpeg

The final look after polishing

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-18.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-19.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-20.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-21.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-22.jpeg

A minor leak was also found due to rat bite giving a hissing sound for the last 72,000 kms approximately, which was fixed. Again, not the car's fault. Those lines were in connection with the turbo. So the turbo was spooling at around 2100 rpm, now it properly spools at 2000 rpm.

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-23.jpeg

Some final pics with a DSLR Camera

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-25.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-26.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-27.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-28.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-29.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-30.jpeg

2013 Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline - 1,62,000 km & counting-31.jpeg

The car was was mechanically always fine, now the cosmetics also match the mechanical condition.

Also, it also reminds of the time when diesel motors were the top priority unlike the petrol motors. Now, the beautiful TSIs have taken over the TDIs.

I am sure you would also be having much more amazing stories to share. I am waiting for them to read!

Thank you for going through this post.
300 KMPH is offline   (101) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 09:11   #37
BHPian

Wow.. Job well done. She looks gorgeous :-). I am inspired by your action and will plan for my Laura. She has aged gracefully but needs a fresh coat. Will have to find a good mechanic in Blore who can do this for me.
Old 2nd April 2022, 09:16   #38
BHPian

What a beautiful coincidence it was to read this post! As a fellow Vento owner in the same situation this thread got me excited! I own a late 2015 Vento which is also daily drive in Mumbai.

2022 was the year I had decided to either upgrade from the Vento or rehaul the car. To be very honest, I have not found any major value addition in the Slavia/Virtus over the Vento if we look at the situation in terms of money spent v/s value added. Therefore, I have decided to take the route of rehauling the car as it enters its 7th year and keeping it for at least 3 more years.

I agree with your thoughts on keeping the car mechanically sound over cosmetically sound. Covid budget constraints also meant that I picked mechanical expenditures over cosmetic.

I would be sending in my car for a full respray sometime in June and your thread beautifully showcased how the car can come out looking brand-new after a respray.

Did you also get the exterior plastic/rubber trims changed? Also wanted to know if you have any other upgrades planned for the car to battle the long term ownership inertia?

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by AKSarkar1 : 2nd April 2022 at 09:19.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 09:25   #39
BHPian

Beautiful restoration there, i always love it when people take good care of their machines as they age instead of selling them or letting them rot as the new car love dies down, my car is also 9 years old shy of turning 10 this Dec 3rd, since I have taken care of her so well, I am in two minds about any new car purchase, I still turn back to look at her every time i waly after parking her in malls/work/home.

Also, i am curious about one thing, is the paint work done from service, if not, since the work is done open place how do they account for dust free environment and paint quality issues that arise due to this. and if comparison was there how much of a cost difference is it with official body shop and third party service provider

A small point though is the shots from DSLR are overexposed, if you have used lightroom or other tools, please correct the exposure or highlights, to reduce the jarring contrast difference between light and dark zones.
sandeepmukunda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:22   #40
BHPian

Great photos there! I'm also considering getting my Carbon Steel Vento repainted - has a few scratches as a result of driving and parking in some tighter city roads. Maybe an upgrade to good tyres (getting rid of the JK Vectras) and a repaint for the bumpers.

If you don't mind sharing, how much did it cost to repaint the bumpers and front fender?
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 10:33   #41
BHPian

There was no paint booth in your pics. How did mechanic ensure a dust free environment?
Old 2nd April 2022, 11:24   #42
BHPian

Hello @300 KMPH. Thanks for sharing. The car looks fab after the makeover. It’s always a pleasure to tc of your beloved vehicle; no other feeling can beat the satisfaction.

I have a question- it looks like the car was painted in open air. Was the process discussed earlier?

Did you search for paint booth option

How the dust was managed cause many times there are good chances of dust accumulation on painted surfaces.

Loved the look after polishing. I am also feeling the itch to repaint my 2014 Honda city after seeing this update and final pictures.

Can you please share expenses included if possible.

Enjoy this one beautiful car for many more miles.

Cheers.
Old 2nd April 2022, 12:51   #43
BHPian

So glad to see your possession.

Looks really great after the paint job.

We have the 2011 Model, I was thinking of getting the Bumper(s) changed to the current variant (They look aggressive, IMHO), Have you thought of same?

Might do/Might not since our Sleeping beauty(1.6 MPI :P) is close to the 15 Years timeline... Let's see

Cheers and wishes to some more stress free rides to you!!!

Last edited by pgoyal1996 : 2nd April 2022 at 12:52. Reason: Punctuation
pgoyal1996 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 16:26   #44
BHPian

Good to see you taking care of your vehicle. Although factory paint is the best and the preferred option to keep but if in this situation, a restoration is always better than doing nothing. Good job done!
Old 3rd April 2022, 05:32   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
There was no paint booth in your pics. How did mechanic ensure a dust free environment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
Hello @300 KMPH.

I have a question- it looks like the car was painted in open air. Was the process discussed earlier?

Did you search for paint booth option

How the dust was managed cause many times there are good chances of dust accumulation on painted surfaces.
Cheers.
I firmly believe that outdoor paint jobs can never match dealership paint booth work. At the end of the day the cost plays a role in such circumstances. Paint booth work costs much more than outdoor repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
Good to see you taking care of your vehicle. Although factory paint is the best and the preferred option to keep but if in this situation, a restoration is always better than doing nothing. Good job done!
One good thing about VW is the galvanized steel. Haven’t had the need to repaint a few dings which have removed paint, but have no rust. Factory paint is overrated in my opinion, the dealership gets close enough and no car lasts without scratches and dings. So either live with dings or get it repainted.

Also your coolant looks bad, something to get checked perhaps.
How did VW not catch the leak in 70k kms?

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 3rd April 2022 at 05:34.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed