Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 23:37   #16
AK_

Re: 2003 Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic Review – The Blue Beauty!

A very in-depth and interesting thread . Brought back memories of my Champagne Gold Metallic H4 automatic pre facelift 2005 beauty. A very reliable car and IMO looked much better than the Altis that replaced it later on. Only issue I recall from my experience is related to the service centre. The car was used a lot and the leather seats got pretty dirty. And the over enthusiastic mechanic scrubbed the seats and panels with god knows what. The car came back with the leather chaffed and peeling from the steering wheel, gear lever and portions of the seat. I don't clearly remember what they had to say about this. But luckily for us it was a company vehicle due to be sold soon
AK_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 08:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Your thread brings back fond memories of our Corolla. My family still finds it perfect for our use. I am actually keen on replacing our Figo with an Altis AT. The Corolla was an all rounder- comfortable, safe, quick and robust. Only if it came with a 2.0L D4D, I would have never sold mine. Heck! Even Pakistan got that Diesel engine.

I am surprised that your car had issues related to the AC. The AC on our Corolla was an absolute chiller. We had 4 more Corollas in our immediate circle and the lowest run was 40k KMs and the highest run was 232k KMs. Going through your summary, I am reassured of the fact that “low run” vehicles don’t mean peace of mind. They are either tampered or if not well kept then you end spending a lot. IIRC you had another Corolla. Waiting for the review of the next one.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 10:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Another great thread @vigsom. And your dark blue car looks fantastic.

My 2006 9G H5 trim was a pearl white and the current low run Altis GL is a champagne mica gold. Low running aside what I really appreciate about these cars other than the reliability is the quality of the components. My car turned 12 this month and the plastics have retained their look. Yes, it is parked in a stilt garage but the passage of time spares no component and sunlight only accelerates deterioration. There is no brittleness in the plastics, the car has no leaks, no squeaks, no rattles and best of all it started at the first twist of the key after a 7+ month period of no running after I charged the battery. The engine settled down to a steady idle. And there were no warning lights on the dash. The AC works as it always did efficiently and quietly. No gas top ups yet only gas pressure checks were done in early 2019 at the dealership.

All that I have had to replace other than the oil and filters are the brake pads, tyres and of course wiper blades. The icing on the cake is the support I get from TKM and their dealers. They replaced the airbags/inflators despite the car being long out of warranty. All in all it makes for one heck of an ownership experience. I may buy a lux car some day but heck I'd want a Toyota too as a reliable backup vehicle. 14.5 years of Toyota ownership have left me with no doubt in my mind about the peace of mind a Toyota offers.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 23:45   #19
BHPian

Another wonderful thread, all your threads are highly meticulous and attention to detail. I seriously wonder how you remember so much things to this level even after 15 years. The writing style makes me to complete reading your thread in one sitting.

@vigsom is an inspiration for me to go for a 2011 Altis AT in April 2019. NO regrets till date.
Thanks.

Last edited by vasanthjn : 1st November 2020 at 00:10. Reason: grammatical error
Old 31st October 2020, 23:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Thank You @catchjyoti

Where overseas did you use this variant? And what was the engine size?
I used this in California. The engine size was 1.8 liter.
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 07:42   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_ View Post
The over enthusiastic mechanic scrubbed the seats and panels with god knows what. The car came back with the leather chaffed and peeling from the steering wheel, gear lever and portions of the seat.
Thank You @AK_

Most interior cleaners use some powerful cleaners in water that may be fine for fabric but not for leather.

The gear lever top is the first casualty of leather chaffing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
highest run was 232k KMs.
Thank You @asit.kulkarni93.

I've heard of Innovas that have done staggering kms but this is the fist time I'm seeing mention of a Corolla that has done 232k. These machines are designed to go on and on and on.

Quote:
IIRC you had another Corolla. Waiting for the review of the next one.
Your wish is my command ; review already in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My car turned 12 this month and the plastics have retained their look.

14.5 years of Toyota ownership have left me with no doubt in my mind about the peace of mind a Toyota offers.
Thank You @R2D2.

Nothing can beat a well kept Toyota of 2002-2012 vintage.

I realised that with the blue, there were lapses in upkeep by the earlier owner, but that is ok.

I am not sure if the 2011 and later Super CVT is as reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
2011 Altis AT in April 2019
Thank You @vasanthjn

You have a great car, and has held up well only because of good upkeep.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:37   #22
BHPian

Nice to read your ownership of Corolla.

We can compare this as the Toyota's version of Mercedes's W124, both of which are no nonsense workhorses for their owners.

I too have bought a secondhand 2006 Corolla manual, which would be going in for a Fitness certificate coming February. It is really a good highway performer with utmost comfort in either front or back seat.

Hope to enjoy this car for a long time.
bajica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 01:01   #23
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Vigsom, loved reading your thread / very nice and detailed. Brought back fond memories of our 2000 Toyota Qualis that we owned until 2012. And more so bought back memories of our brief encounter with 2 Toyota Corolla's. One ofthem was a 5th generation E80 which we had bought in the late 90's - but Sold it within a month (or returned) Since it was DL registered and NOC was a pain to obtain.

The second was a 2006 Corolla which we bought used in 2016 and sold in 2017. Although the car was not driner much by us, it already has 150,000 on the odo And the car still felt like brand new. we sold it to by a brand new Kwid ( the worst decision of our lives) Since we were looking for a small car. Would never miss an opportunity to go for the 2003 Corolla (or the 2006 facelift) if I ever Come across a good one. Toyota's are meant to just last.
Attached Thumbnails
2003 Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic Review – The Blue Beauty!-picsart_062504.39.30.jpg  

v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 20:30   #24
BANNED

Hello. Does anyone have owners manual for 2006 model toyota corolla? Need it urgently
Old 10th May 2021, 11:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramhanshapal View Post
Hello. Does anyone have owners manual for 2006 model toyota corolla? Need it urgently
Hi,

Please follow this link. You will get a online manual. It is a US specific one.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...s/corolla/2006
bajica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 00:22   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Goodbye Dear – Jul 2012
The car was finally picked up three days before I was to leave
Update as of Aug-2021 at 18 years of age and approx 1,20,000km

The blue Corolla that I once owned finally left the next owner after serving him faithfully for 9 years. He got approx INR60k for the car, which was fair. In his period of ownership, the person who got the car from me had to do only the following:

1. engine oil changes
2. AC compressor refurbish, and one change of tyres
3. Refitment of a link on the AT lever that came off

Status on the day of departure:

1. no power steering fluid leaks
2. one engine mount worn causing vibrations in the cabin
3. Stock struts and shock absorbers
4. lots of scratches on the bumpers but the paint finish was holding up very well.
5. DEPO headlamps showed no sign of yellowing or cracking
6. Engine was flawless
7. All electricals working
6. Automatic transmission still on the original fluid with some top up of T-IV fluid that I'd given him

When I parted with the car in 2012
Name:  BlueCorolla_Feb2012 .JPG
Views: 1083
Size:  92.1 KB

2003 Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic Review – The Blue Beauty!-bluecorolla_jul2012.jpg

When the next owner parted with the car after nine years of ownership in 2021
2003 Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic Review – The Blue Beauty!-bluecorolla1.jpg

2003 Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic Review – The Blue Beauty!-bluecorolla2.jpg

2003 Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic Review – The Blue Beauty!-bluecorolla3.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 23rd May 2022 at 00:24.
vigsom is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 08:54   #27
BHPian

This iteration of the Corolla is extremely close to my heart since it was the car I learnt driving on. There is a reason why Toyota can charge a bomb on their current cars these days and people yet pay it without batting an eyelid and that is due to the heritage that cars like the Corollas have left in India. Back in the day, the heart wanted a Blue Corolla but head made us go with a white. Looking at these pictures got back so many memories!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 18:40   #28
BHPian

Looks like the last owner was cutting corners on all four ends. Bumpers have taken a beating.
AJITHAAA is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 21:13   #29
BHPian

Just out of academic curiosity- I thought the registration expired after 15 years. Why would anyone buy it? For scrap value?
Old 24th May 2022, 22:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Just out of academic curiosity- I thought the registration expired after 15 years. Why would anyone buy it? For scrap value?
Thankfully, this blackmailing by Automobile companies by "lobbying" with NGT is applicable in NCR only (and maybe Agra too).

For rest of India, one can go for a re-registration which is valid for a period of 5 years. Lately the charges have been hiked in multiples of 5-10x depending upon the state where the owner wish to get the process done.
azm@bpl is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed