Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 12:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic

Season's greetings to all TBhpians !!!

Introduction

This thread shares some of my experiences with an SX4 Automatic from an odo reading of 30,000km in 2012 to an odo reading of 83,000km in 2017,when the car was sold.

2007 : My first meeting with an SX4

My first meeting with an SX4 was in 2007 when a colleague in my first company in Surat had to toss between a Honda City ZX GXi and an SX4 ZXi. The SX4 had ABS, dual airbags, climate control, alloy wheels and steering controls over the Honda City ZX GXi for some 45,000 bucks less. I advised him to go with the SX4 and he eventually used that car for 1,70,000kms, and with the engine untouched.

2012 : How I met an SX4 Automatic

In the first few months into my new role in Chennai, I had developed a good camaraderie with some fellow executives in my new company. I helped one of them buy a used 2006 Simpson Red Corolla H6, while another had a 2010 SX4 ZXi Automatic in a nice French Éclair shade. This SX4 was owned by him since new, had done close to 30,000km, and he was not satisfied with the service he was getting from the MASS. I was more than happy to help my colleague in his journey with his SX4.

First Impressions

My first drive in this SX4 automatic made me immediately relate this car to my 2003 Corolla H4 automatic. While the Corolla’s engine had the characteristic growl of an engine with a K&N filter, this SX4 on its stock air filter sounded more like a guitar.

• The French Éclair isn’t a colour that one would instantly love, but the colour would grow on you
• Excellent brakes, better than my Corollas that had all wheel discs
• High seating with great visibility all around
• Shorter bonnet and high seating made it an ergonomically easier car to drive
• Comfortable seats
• Zero rattles except for a minor metallic noise from the silencer tail pipe at idle
• The 4 speed torque converter transmission is a very reliable and robust unit; transmission fluid change is at 11 years/ 1,65,000km

What could have been better:

• Judgement of rear clearances was a huge issue because of the tall boot; almost all SX4s I have seen have had bumped rear bumper corners. This car definitely needed reverse parking sensors (compulsory) and a reverse camera (optional)
• Steering feedback was average; not bad but not as great as a hydraulic
• Fuel efficiency reported by my colleague was approx. 10kmpl; poor because of the 1.6L engine and the 4 speed torque converter transmission
• Very poor stock audio system
• Rear seat, although comfortable, is fit for 2 rather than three because the car isn’t as wide as it seems
• Pathetic JK Vectra tyres; they were making a racket at 30,000 kms
• The gear lever base could have been given a better finish like in the Grand Vitara

Inside the SX4 Automatic
Name:  sx4_inside.png
Views: 9562
Size:  262.4 KB

Inspection

My first inspection of the engine bay revealed two issues:

• Brown coating just below the coolant expansion tank cap. The level in the tank was just a little under the Max mark. confirming that the coolant wasn’t boiling over
• Headlamp wiring kit had two fuses of which one fuse had fused. The quality of wiring was pathetic. I asked my colleague where he got this fitted and he said it was done at the MASS

I got a Philips headlamp wiring kit with two Philips 90/100W bulbs and wired it right there in his parking and asked him to monitor the wiring for signs of overheating. On the coolant issue, I cleaned the expansion tank top and asked him to continue to monitor, especially after a long drive with the engine on. He reported no issues. This colleague, in the meanwhile continued to get the car serviced at MASS till 45,000km post which he had become quite pally with me. Then I advised him to go the FNG route and told him I would help him get all maintenance done under my supervision. He was also with me on most occasions.

The French Eclair SX4
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_aerialview.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 12th November 2020 at 20:14.
vigsom is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Experiences with a 2010 SX4 Automatic

Tyres replaced at 46,000kms

The JK Vectras were meanwhile getting extremely noisy and my colleague (now friend) wanted a change of tyres. Those days, the 205/60R16 was available only in JK Vectra, Apollo Accelere and Falken Azenis PT722. The Falkens were being offered competitively at INR 5,000 a tyre but we realized that their wet weather performance wasn’t satisfactory. We could have gone with Apollo Acceleres but could find none. IIRC, SX4 was the only car those days sporting the 205/16R16 tyres.

Finally, we chose Yokohama ASPEC A348 215/60R16, the OE tyre for the then Toyota Camry. The tyres offer great comfort per se but don’t offer good life, which we realized over the next 2 years. A set of four tyres cost INR 32,000.

The Yokohama ASPEC A348 in 215/60R16
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-yokohamaa348_1.jpg
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-yokohamaa348_3.jpg
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-yokohamaa348_2.jpg

Routine service at 55,000km

I was planning to introduce my friend to my favourite oil, Castrol Magnatec. However, my friend already had with him Shell Helix HX7 10W40 API SN, and wanted to use this in the car. We got an MGP Oil filter (part no. 16510M55K00) for some 144 bucks and an MGP Air Filter for 400 bucks. The plugs had been replaced at 45,000km at MASS and therefore weren’t touched.

Shell Helix HX7
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-hx7.jpg

The SX4 Oil Filter
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_oilfilter.jpg

Dec 2015 – Escape from the devastating rains and floods in Chennai

I wasn’t in Chennai the time the mad rains and subsequent floods caused damage of unimaginable proportions. The SX4 escaped the flood as the car was parked in a stilt parking at a good height (approx. 4 feet above the level of the road); however, the tyres did see some 3 inches of water.

The road outside the parking (note the low level of the road)
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_road_reference.jpg

Road flooded and water entering the parking
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4parking_flooded_dec2015.jpg

The parking after water had receded
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4parking__afterwaterreceded_dec2015.jpg

Brakes making a metallic grinding noise : 65,000km

In mid-2016, my friend called one day to tell me that he was able to hear a metallic continuous noise from the front right side when the car was in motion. I immediately suspected that the wear indicator on the brake pads had started acting, and this was confirmed when I went a day later to inspect the car.

The car also had a bumped corner on the rear bumper. We decided to get the following jobs done as part of the 65,000km service :

1. Brake pads replacement
2. Brake rotors skimming
3. Rear brake drums cleaning
4. Rear bumper right side bump removal
5. Tappet cover gasket replacement
6. Oil and Oil filter (again, my friend had purchased Shell Helix HX7 on line so that was used)

The bump on the rear bumper was removed by softening the plastic from inside the bumper using a hot air blower, and then pushing the bump out.

At the car wash
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_beforewash.jpg
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_wash.jpg

Rotors before skimming
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_discsbefore.jpg

Rotors after skimming
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_discsafter.jpg

Brake pads at 65,000km
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_brakepads65k_2.jpg

New brake pads
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_newbrakepads.jpg

Brake pads comparison - new vs old
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_brakepads65k.jpg

Clean engine after 65,000km
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_engine_rocker_65000kms.jpg

Rear brakes being cleaned
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_rearbrakes.jpg

Bumper bumped
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_bumperrr_before1.jpg
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_bumperrr_before2.jpg

Bump removed
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_bumperrr_after.jpg

A shiny engine bay
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_enginebayafterwash.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 12th November 2020 at 20:15.
vigsom is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

2016 (Contd.)

Brush #1

The car was sideswiped by a Tata 407 that could not stop in time, and that resulted in denting the rear right quarter panel big time. My friend got this done up at an FNG close to his place but paid a whopping INR 6,500 for the tinkering and painting.

The damage to the rear right quarter panel
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_rrdamage_407_1.jpg

2017 – The year of shocks

Brush #2

Approx. 4 months after Brush #1 , there was another incident in Jan 2017. This time, it was near the Porur junction (for those familiar with that part of Chennai). A Tata Ace brushed against the left front fender, moved forward and ripped the bumper off its mountings. The good thing is that the bumper came off in one piece, and save some abrasion on the left front corner, the bumper was generally intact.

The fender was brought back to shape and repainted; my painter just ensured a fade out on the front bumper left corner. My friend was fortunate that despite the bumper getting ripped off, the bumper could be re-fitted. This repair cost him a mere INR 2,500, which included proper treatment and polish of the right rear quarter panel that had been repaired by another workshop 4 months ago.

Damage caused by the Tata Ace
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_frontleftdamageace.jpg
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_frontleftdamageace2.jpg
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_frontleftdamageace3.jpg
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_frontleftdamageace4.jpg

After repair and polish
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_frontleftdamageacerepaired1.jpg
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_frontleftdamageacerepaired2.jpg
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_rrdamage_after.jpg

Major service at 77,000km

Jobs that were performed were as follows:

1. Oil and filter replacement (HX7 ordered by him on-line again before I could tell him to change)
2. Spark plugs replacement
3. Lower arms replacement
4. Coolant replacement

The suspension had been making noise since end-2016 and therefore we decided to do the suspension job one item at a time. The lower arms’ main bushes were found torn – I have seen this casualty on other SX4s and my own Grand Vitara too.

Stock SGP lower arms were priced at INR 5,200 each but we were able to source Talbros lower arms for INR 2,600 each. Later, after this replacement, we realized that even the Swift Dzire lower arms are a perfect fit for this car at INR 1,500 each.

Since it was cold weather, with rats on the prowl, we also treated the engine to some tobacco.

The old lower arms at 77,000km
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_oldlowerarms.jpg

Spark plugs used were the stock NGK BKR6E (can also use Denso K20PRU, Bosch FR6DC4, Champion RC8YC)

Engine bay with Tobacco
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_tobaccotreatment.jpg

Oil leak at 80,000km

I got a call from my friend from Office that his wife had informed him of oil dripping drop-wise from the car when he set off from home that morning. My assumption was that this was an oil leak but what I was going to experience was something I had never seen before. I asked my friend to send me a picture of the oil dipstick 30 minutes after the car had settled down. The picture he sent showed oil only till below the minimum mark, and I then told my friend he had just been through a near miss with the engine.

Since I was free that day, I immediately went to his Office, armed with 2 liters of engine oil, filled oil in the car, and took the car to see what the issue was. The O-ring on the oil filter adapter was leaking. This L-shaped adapter is unique to the SX4 – one end is flanged to the cylinder block while the other end is where the Oil filter is fitted.

Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4_oilfilteradapter2.jpg

There is a store on Anna Salai that specializes only in O-rings. We got the perfect o-ring for just 30 bucks and got a new oil filter too. So, for a 30 rupee o-ring failing, we ended up spending close to INR 1,000 for oil top up, a new oil filter, fuel and, last but not the least, a lot of tension.

The Yokohama ASPEC tyres, in the meanwhile, were inspected and observed to have tread for only another 8,000km. This was only expected given that these are soft tyres.

Last edited by vigsom : 12th November 2020 at 15:54.
vigsom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Farewell SX4 at 83,000km

In Jun 2017, my friend wanted to move to a new car. He had probably developed cold feet seeing the issues and expenses on the SX4 and also realizing that more would need to be spent on new tyres and on suspension parts other than the lower arms. I pleaded with him to go the pre-owned route but his family was against it.

He evaluated the Tata Hexa XMA, but declared the car too big for his needs, and then evaluated a Ciaz Alpha AT. One of the Nexa dealerships in Chennai offered him a good deal on a Feb-2017 manufactured metallic beige Ciaz ZXi+ AT (this was equivalent to the new Alpha) with the dealer offering an INR 40,000 discount on the car plus a whole lot of useful accessories. Post movement to the Nexa stable, the Ciaz did not come in beige. I personally liked that colour.

What was offered
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-booking-confirmation_ciazzxiat.jpg

While my friend was processing the quote via a leasing company, the move to the GST regime happened and there was confusion around benefits through the lease plan and a revision in the price of the Ciaz . A revised quote was then sent by the dealership to my friend where they bumped the discount down.

The new quote
Name:  Offer_Ciaz_ZXiAT_Jul2017.png
Views: 6887
Size:  597.6 KB

The leasing company was just working towards closure of this purchase when my friend was told by the dealership to hurry up as someone else was also keen on the beige Ciaz AT. By then my friend had got beleaguered with the delays in processing his quote. He finally gave Nexa the clearance to process that car for someone else and refund his booking amount. In hindsight, it was good that he did not go with the Ciaz 1.4 AT.

Later in Jul 2017, he saw the Honda BR-V CVT which was being offered at INR 40,000 off. He also got a good trade in value for his SX4 and eventually decided to go with the BR-V. The BR-V was finally his in Aug 2017. He drove the SX4 in and the BR-V out on the day of delivery. Finally, the SX4 left him at approx. 83,000km on the odo.

Expenses (from 46,000km to 83,000km)

Break up of expenses on the SX4 were as follows:

1. 46,000km : Tyres Yokohama ASPEC A348 INR 32,000
2. 55,000km : Service (Wash, Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Labour) INR 3,150
3. 65,000km : Service (Wash, Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Brake pads, Discs Skimming, rear brakes cleaning, Tappet cover gasket, Labour) INR 5,700
4. Body repair (rear right Quarter Panel + left fender and front bumper) INR 9,000
5. 77,000km : Service (Wash, Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Spark Plugs, Lower arms, Coolant, Labour) INR 10,350
6. 80,000km : Oil leak rectification (Oil top up, Oil Filter, O -ring, labour) INR 880
7. Headlamp wiring kit and bulbs INR 1,300

Total cost INR 62,400 approx. (Tyres INR 32,000 + Maintenance INR 21,400 + Body repair INR 9,000)

Comparison of the SX4 Automatic with a Corolla Automatic

Having owned two Corollas (one AT and one MT) and having closely monitored this SX4 AT, here is my unbiased comparison. I am not accounting for the AC issues I faced in my car because that was the result of poor workmanship by a bad AC technician.

SX4 Automatic vs Corolla Automatic
Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic-sx4atvscorollaat.jpg

On just one parameter viz. driver comfort, the SX4 is a clear winner. I realized this the day I had to take the car for the oil leak rectification. How easy it was to drive the SX4 in traffic, thanks to its high seating and the low length bonnet. While this can be the subject of a debate, I personally loved the multi-spoke design on the 2009 and later SX4s.

I wish such cars come back for the connoisseurs to enjoy them !

Season's greetings once again !!

Last edited by vigsom : 12th November 2020 at 20:58.
vigsom is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 04:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

re: Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 06:10   #6
BHPian

Wonderful and crisp review.
I own a 2008 ZXi manual and a cousin owns a 2013 Automatic which I drove a couple of weeks back. Both were purchased pre-owned in October-November 2017 and we have been mostly happy with it, barring the poor headlights and lack of modern amenities (reverse assist with a head unit supporting smartphone connectivity) as we have both decided to keep it stock. Your review resonates my experience with the car. It is not easy to find a replacement of this car nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
My first drive in this SX4 automatic made me immediately relate this car to my 2003 Corolla H4 automatic.
Judging by pictures, I think both cars share the steering column stalks for both headlights and wipers as well.
Quote:
Fuel efficiency reported by my colleague was approx. 10kmpl; poor because of the 1.6L engine and the 4 speed torque converter transmission
Both my cousin and I get better fuel efficiency, but we do use the recommended 5W-30 which would be thinner than the 10W-40 aiding in fuel efficiency. Also we have stuck to fully synthetic since the beginning, if that maybe a factor.
Quote:
Tyres replaced at 46,000kms
IIRC, SX4 was the only car those days sporting the 205/16R16 tyres.
Chevrolet Cruze also had the same size that time. I know this as my neighbour owned a pre-owned 2011 LT (just sold it last week) and was contemplating to replace his ageing Yokohamas with something cheaper just before deciding to sell.
Quote:
Stock SGP lower arms were priced at INR 5,200 each but we were able to source Talbros lower arms for INR 2,600 each. Later, after this replacement, we realized that even the Swift Dzire lower arms are a perfect fit for this car at INR 1,500 each.
The high cost of a few unique SGP parts is the only bummer in the otherwise low cost of ownership. I had to replace both lower arms last year and there were 3 SGP part numbers with price of each side ranging from ₹ 4,400 to ₹ 7,600 back then. I had to settle for a brand I am unable to recall as it was available off the shelf for ₹ 3,200 each and I needed it urgently replaced. It has not failed for the last 10,000 approximate kms so far.
Quote:
On just one parameter viz. driver comfort, the SX4 is a clear winner. I realized this the day I had to take the car for the oil leak rectification. How easy it was to drive the SX4 in traffic, thanks to its high seating and the low length bonnet.
As I mentioned earlier, it is difficult to find a replacement. The huge glass area with invisible bonnet even from the seat adjusted to its highest position along with well-sized mirrors makes it easy to navigate through tight spaces and traffic. The only fly in the ointment is the thick A-pillars which can hide a small car behind them. I almost did not see an Alto hidden behind the A-pillar when I newly started driving it. I have made my peace with the high bootlid as the ORVMs have good field of view once I got accustomed (a relative had a 1st gen DZire with similar view and guided me). The high bootlid does have good space (500 litres if I recall correctly).

Last edited by Researcher : 13th November 2020 at 06:23.
Researcher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 07:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This thread shares some of my experiences with an SX4 Automatic from an odo reading of 30,000km in 2012 to an odo reading of 83,000km in 2017,when the car was sold.
I seem to have missed it :( I was shopping for a new used car then and would cheerfully have picked this one up.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 08:22   #8
BHPian

Re: Experiences with a 2010 Maruti SX4 Automatic

SX4 was a very unique sedan. It combined the good GC of a crossover with the comfort of a sedan. I wonder why it did not do so well in this market. The hatchback version was quite popular globally. It was also one of the few cars that had a rally pedigree.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 08:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
SX4 was a very unique sedan. It combined the good GC of a crossover with the comfort of a sedan. I wonder why it did not do so well in this market. The hatchback version was quite popular globally. It was also one of the few cars that had a rally pedigree.
I actually tried the SX4 at a dealer once and it was selling with tempting discounts. The dash had a longish overhang under it so that my foot was hitting that overhang everytime I released the clutch.

Not sure if just adjusting the seats forward and back would have cured that.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 12:19   #10
BHPian

Nice mini-review of one of the best cars from MSIL stable. I really like your way to re-kindling the past ownership. Good to see you have owned/maintained lot of different vehicles.

We still have the SX4 ZDi 2009 modle with us with the odo touching 2.3L kms.

I have driven this SX4 for close to 15k kms and can related to a lot of points.

The engine is still having the same grunt and I loved every bits of driving in it. Except the thick A-Pillar hindering the visibility during u-turns this car is real easy to drive. Even after 2L+ kms on odo, the engine still has the grunt and surprisingly no rattles. Changed suspension & clutch assembly once and gearbox twice! Also one time, a lorry just ripped off the entire left side doors but the total cost was very less we paid around 15k from our pockets after insurance.

But other than that it was pretty abuse friendly and has go anywhere trait written on it.

Still remember my discussion with my uncle who is using the SX4 as his daily driver for past few years.

Me: "Why don't you change the car? We can buy a new car for you"

Uncle: "Why? This is running just fine and has no major problems. I will keep it as long as it is running."

BTW, he is a 60 years old gentlemen who takes care of his vehicle with utmost care and if he is not parting his way with SX4, then you cannot make him to.
xcentrk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 16:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Very good review of the SX4. You have captured all the pros and cons of the car quite well. As an owner of the 2010 SX ZXi (but with manual transmission), I can totally relate to all of the points you mentioned.

Quote:
• Excellent brakes, better than my Corollas that had all wheel discs
• High seating with great visibility all around
• Shorter bonnet and high seating made it an ergonomically easier car to drive
• Comfortable seats
• Zero rattles except for a minor metallic noise from the silencer tail pipe at idle
Totally agree with these points. The brakes are indeed very good. In fact, from my own driving experience, they are almost at par with some of the German sedans I drove.

And this without the excessive cost and ridiculously short brake pads and rotor life in the German sedans. In My SX4, even after 1,24,000km of driving in 10+ years, the original rotors are still working fine.

Totally agree on the seats too. The seats are very comfortable and spacious. You get a nice feeling of space in the front seat - something that some even longer sedans don't give.

Also agree on no rattles. This was one of the rare rattle free Maruti products!

Quote:
What could have been better:

• Judgement of rear clearances was a huge issue because of the tall boot; almost all SX4s I have seen have had bumped rear bumper corners. This car definitely needed reverse parking sensors (compulsory) and a reverse camera (optional)
• Steering feedback was average; not bad but not as great as a hydraulic
• Fuel efficiency reported by my colleague was approx. 10kmpl; poor because of the 1.6L engine and the 4 speed torque converter transmission
• Very poor stock audio system
• Rear seat, although comfortable, is fit for 2 rather than three because the car isn’t as wide as it seems
• Pathetic JK Vectra tyres; they were making a racket at 30,000 kms
Again agree on these points. However, both the audio system and the reversing problems are solvable in one shot. I got an Android head-unit installed back in 2016 (ordered from Aliexpress). Since SX4 is a global product (Suzuki SX4 was quite popular in many countries), lot of accessories are available on Aliexpress. One can get the exact fitting headunit specifically made for the Suzuki SX4. And to that I connected a dashcam, a reverse camera, my OBD adapter with Torque Pro app running etc. So you get a complete solution that takes care of many of the lacking features in the SX4 in one shot!

Regarding tyres, yes, the JK Vectras were very bad. I am currently running on Michelin Primacy 3 STs in the stock size (205/60/R16). Although I am surprised you mentioned you found the stock size to be odd. When I last changed the tyres about 3 years ago, there were plenty of options available in 205/60/R16 without any issues.

Anyways, your review rekindled my own feelings for this highly practical, reliable, go anywhere car that is also highly underrated. Thank you for this review.

However, one thing I must say. The SX4 was always a odd looking car and continues to look weird in some way or the other. The looks never grew on me. As much as I love my SX4, I will never say it looks beautiful. It will remain my favorite ugly duckling!
Dr.AD is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 16:26   #12
BHPian

@Vigsom I don't know who you are, I don't know where you live but I'll find you and I'll befriend you! Sir you're logs have been really crisp and loaded with practical info on how to check n buy preloved cars, diagnose issues that may crop up and maintain one's ride with it's age and you've really gone the extra mile in helping your friend with his Sx4, wish we all had a friend like you. Kudos to your efforts!
Shanky_1002 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 19:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
I wonder why it did not do so well in this market
Thank You @Cessna182. This car would have done well if she had a 1.5L engine with some stately looks; look at how good a success the Ciaz is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
We still have the SX4 ZDi 2009 model with us with the odo touching 2.3L kms.

Still remember my discussion with my uncle who is using the SX4 as his daily driver for past few years. He is a 60 year old gentleman and is not parting with SX4
Thank You @xcentrk.

Wow !!! That is a lot of kms on the 1.3 diesel.

The SX4, the Corolla and the Aveo are my modern day Ambassadors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
As much as I love my SX4, I will never say it looks beautiful. It will remain my favorite ugly duckling
Doc, Come on. Your black SX4 can't be an ugly duckling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky_1002 View Post
wish we all had a friend like you
Thank You @Shanky_1002.

Whatever I have done for my friends is purely because a) I genuinely want to help out with whatever skills I have picked up all these years, and b) my passion for machines.

I never let go of any learning opportunity, and am actually thankful to my friends for the variety of cars that I could learn from.
vigsom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 02:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
Nice mini-review of one of the best cars from MSIL stable. I really like your way to re-kindling the past ownership. Good to see you have owned/maintained lot of different vehicles.

We still have the SX4 ZDi 2009 modle with us with the odo touching 2.3L kms.

I have driven this SX4 for close to 15k kms and can related to a lot of points.

The engine is still having the same grunt and I loved every bits of driving in it. Except the thick A-Pillar hindering the visibility during u-turns this car is real easy to drive. Even after 2L+ kms on odo, the engine still has the grunt and surprisingly no rattles. Changed suspension & clutch assembly once and gearbox twice! Also one time, a lorry just ripped off the entire left side doors but the total cost was very less we paid around 15k from our pockets after insurance.

But other than that it was pretty abuse friendly and has go anywhere trait written on it.

Still remember my discussion with my uncle who is using the SX4 as his daily driver for past few years.

Me: "Why don't you change the car? We can buy a new car for you"

Uncle: "Why? This is running just fine and has no major problems. I will keep it as long as it is running."

BTW, he is a 60 years old gentlemen who takes care of his vehicle with utmost care and if he is not parting his way with SX4, then you cannot make him to.
Just a question here, as far as I remember, SX4 got a diesel unit in 2011 January February. The 90bhp VGT version of the MJD, if your car is 2009 it must be a petrol and if it is diesel, it would be newer.
Kindly correct the same.

Cheers!
dhruvritzed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 07:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ You are right. The SX4 diesel was introduced in 2011. Thanks for pointing this out.

Just to add, there was another 2008 SX4 that I monitored - this was the Sunlight Copper metallic which was a great shade in the showroom but a very bad shade otherwise. This car was 8 years old when purchased pre-owned and the boot, roof and quarter panels had faded away.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks