Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 14:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

On 28-9-07, I was driving home from Gurgaon at 615 pm in the evening. It was raining and traffic was much more heavier than usual. While standing in the traffic near Radisson, suddenly I heard a crunch noise from my left. That went on for 5 secs. I realised in shock that it is my Corolla that is making the noise. What had happened was that a LCV tempo owned by Delhi Metro had rubbed the entire left side. The damage: bumper dent, quarter panel dent, both left doors dented, left side mirror broken, left fender dented. The tempo started with the bumper, and apparently was deaf and blind enough to keep on going till he had damaged the entire left side. Fortunately for me, the dents were not superficial but there, and no internal car damage was caused.

Could not do anything except to drive home. Took the car to Galaxy, Motinagar next morning on 29-9-07 for repair/insurance. Got the car back on Friday 5-10-07. Total cost: 80K, payable: 10.5 K. Total cost included both doors replaced at 18K each, side view mirror replaced at 6.5 K, side mouldings replaced at 2.3K each, and denting/painting cost. Since the bill was very high, and I had bought the car from Galaxy, Motinagar; I persuaded them to provide free dry cleaning and teflon, which they did. Sorry for the insurance company (Reliance) but apparently they are amongst the richest in the world!.

Question: Knowing Delhi/Gurgaon traffic, it is just a matter of time, before some more dents happen. Can I claim insurance again in a single year, if the damage is costly enough. Corolla denting/painting repair (not replace) costs around 4.5-5 K (incl. all costs) per panel (excl. bonnet which should cost more).
Old 18th October 2007, 17:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

These were the top-selling small cars in the US for January-September 2007. Surprise is Hyundai Elantra at No. 9

Source: Ward's AutoInfoBank
1. Toyota Corolla 291,981
2. Honda Civic 254,955
3. Chevrolet Cobalt 152,895
4. Ford Focus 133,043
5. Mazda 3 95,336
6. Nissan Sentra 83,724
7. Dodge Caliber 80,352
8. Volkswagen Jetta 74,459
9. Hyundai Elantra 73,890
10. Toyota Yaris 68,465
Old 18th October 2007, 17:30   #63
BANNED

Elantra sold in US: Its 2L with 138BHP
Hyundai Motor America - 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Surprise is Hyundai Elantra at No. 9
Old 18th October 2007, 17:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

It is uncertain whether this Elantra is coming to India over the next 12 months. I saw this on Hyundai US websites sometime in early 2007. When they came to India, Hyundai delayed the Accent so as to launch Santro. Now they are tagged as a small car maker in an intensely competitive, lower margin small car market.
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

This info. based on 11500 kms of driving of Corolla automatic may be helpful to fellow owners. According to my calculations, Corolla's fuel empty warning comes on when the car has used up between 38-39 litres of petrol. Since the Corolla is supposed to have a fuel tank of 50 litres, that would mean around 11-12 litres of petrol or around 100-120 kms of margin.
Old 24th December 2007, 02:21   #66

Quote:
Question: Knowing Delhi/Gurgaon traffic, it is just a matter of time, before some more dents happen. Can I claim insurance again in a single year, if the damage is costly enough. Corolla denting/painting repair (not replace) costs around 4.5-5 K (incl. all costs) per panel (excl. bonnet which should cost more).
So far, the thread was an interesting and pleasant reading. Feels bad to read about the entire left side damage. Too much trouble in and around Delhi on the roads.

Regarding your question; Yes, you should be able to claim multiple damages in the same year irrespective of the value of the first / second / third claim. Though, I hope you don't come to need it.

I've already booked a Corolla H5 myself, although not AT!

Cheers
Old 25th December 2007, 19:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

Booked means delivery in 2-3 days?. H5 is the same as H4 but with manual transmission which should give you around 10-13 kmpl (Gurgaon traffic is extremely unpredictable). Use only normal fuel.
Old 25th December 2007, 21:41   #68

Yes, should be delivered in 2-3 days or in worst case before the year ends.

Finance is still being progressed.

I'm picking a Pearl White, after also considering the Champagne Mica.
Old 26th December 2007, 13:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Some piece of advice for the first 2-3 days till you get the feel of the car:
Drive not too fast (not exceeding 70-80 kmph) not because of run-in but you may not feel that it is going at that speed and may have to brake too hard in case of emergency (I also had this problem but thank god no rear end hump). This happened while going home after taking delivery from Moti Nagar to East Delhi. Brakes work well even when tapped and not pressed hard. Keep at max of 60-80 kmph for first 50-100 kmph and a little tap on the brake should do the job. Even afterwards, there is no need to brake hard even at speeds of 100 kmph.
For the first 1-2 days, maintain speed so that you can keep enough margin for braking.
When you take your foot off the accelerator, Corolla decelerates slowly and do not expect speed to drop drastically in a very short time.
Old 27th December 2007, 20:21   #70

Great thanks for the cautionary note. I’ll be careful.

I have no intentions of racing around in this car, anyway.

Delivery may now happen on Sunday.
Old 25th February 2008, 09:56   #71
Senior - BHPian

For the few Corolla owners on this forum, I thought of sharing my service experience at 20K (actually 19465 kms)/1 year.

I did not have a great experience at Galaxy, Okhla at 10K, for which I had written to Toyota. By comparison, my 1K and dent/paint at Galaxy, Motinagar had been wonderful. So this time, I dropped the car on Friday evening at Galaxy, Moti nagar

I have a Smile Package that expires in Mar08/1 yr. so this was the right time. The actual cost for service was free for me (because of Smile Package). But consummables was around 800, and service was 3.5 hrs so another 900-1000 saved there. However, AT Corolla's brake pad wear out much sooner. The service manager did tell me that I could use them for another 3-4 K kms (he said they need to replaced at around 15-20K mark). However, I got them replaced because of safety and convenience. So my total cost was 5.6K for both front and rear brake pads. Labour at around 250 was free. Also free was dry cleaning at 1400. Going by the quality, I think I can get it done again from Galaxy. Total cost this time: 5640 for brake pads, 40 for PUC, and 150 paid to driver for dropping my car at my residence.

I have found Galaxy, Moti Nagar to be perhaps the best Toyota service in NCR. MGF in Gurgaon asks to be intimated 5-6 days in advance, though they are quite customer friendly (they once kept a painted rear view door mirror painted for me at their cost, because a 2wheeler had knocked off the cover, cost of Rs. 700). No experience with Uttam Toyota in NOIDA and Ghaziabad, or with Lakozy in Okhla.
Old 25th February 2008, 10:26   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Use only normal fuel.
I have always used Indian Oil Extra Premium for my Corolla. The additives seem to make my car run quite smooth and I get a reasonably good mileage as well (~11 kmpl in the city with AC on at all times). The manual itself recommends 91-octane fuel or above.

Any particular reason why you stressed upon the fact to use normal fuel only ?? Am I missing something here ??
Old 25th February 2008, 10:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

I did use extra premium for 1st 2-3 refills. But at 1K service, Toyota service manager told me that normal will do just fine, and extra premium is not required. I am getting good mileage on Normal (average of 10.8 on AT so far over 19.7K). But since you are pleased with extra premium, I shall get it filled perhaps 2-3 times consecutively to see if it makes a difference on mileage/smoothness/etc. The extra cost would be around 60-70 per weekly fill (cost diff. of Rs. 2/litre and weekly filling of 30-33 litres).
Old 25th February 2008, 10:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Toyota service manager told me that normal will do just fine, and extra
> premium is not required.

As I was handed over the keys to my CVT, I was told to use 'only' normal fuel. And I have done so, so far.

> I am getting good mileage on Normal (average of 10.8 on AT so far over
> 19.7K)

That's good mileage! In my 8083kms so far, the overall average is 13.28kpl, but then the road conditions and vehicular congestion vary!
Old 25th February 2008, 10:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

OT, but 13+ on Honda CVT would be at a higher range of actual user FE. I have heard of 15 also. Corolla AT: 9-10 is what most people achieve, with min of around 8 and max of 12-13 (in cities). Highway (like outside Delhi for 3-4 hrs): could achieve 14 also.

My FE has gone up by around 0.5 kmpl after the Delhi-Gurgaon toll bridge has opened. Saves me on average 15 mins every day on a run of 70 kms both sides.

Most Viewed