Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 13:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vasudeva,

> O/D means overdrive.

Corolla has a 4 speed automatic, I believe. Is there a separate O/D position.
Old 27th March 2008, 14:05   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Vasudeva,

> O/D means overdrive.

Corolla has a 4 speed automatic, I believe. Is there a separate O/D position.
There is a O/D button on the automatic stick. Pressing the button makes O/D on and off. For FE driving, O/D should not be used, since using it increases rpm, and does not shift to the best gear.

See my garage on team-bhp and you should be able to locate that button on the shift.

Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic EDIT: Now at 8+ years/78,000 kms-i3637.jpg
Old 30th March 2008, 19:26   #93
Senior - BHPian

Good review great FE figures!

I am loooking forward to buy new corrolla AT next year! Its really wonderfull product.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 30th March 2008, 19:33   #94
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
There is a O/D button on the automatic stick. Pressing the button makes O/D on and off. For FE driving, O/D should not be used, since using it increases rpm, and does not shift to the best gear.

See my garage on team-bhp and you should be able to locate that button on the shift.

Attachment 4089
Don't know about the O/D button on the Corolla or what it does, but why would driving in the overdrive reduce Fuel Effeciency. The Overdrive is where you have the minimum power, so you should have maximum FE.

It should be the other way around. Don't use the Overdrive, if you want power.
Old 31st March 2008, 09:34   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Don't know about the O/D button on the Corolla or what it does, but why would driving in the overdrive reduce Fuel Effeciency. The Overdrive is where you have the minimum power, so you should have maximum FE.

It should be the other way around. Don't use the Overdrive, if you want power.
Yes, sorry for my post and the mistake. Actually, the button on the stick should not be pressed (Toyota advice in manual). To check: the O/D indicator should not appear on the front indicator (near the speedo).
Old 1st April 2008, 12:22   #96
BHPian

A quick question for corolla users - the corolla manual recommends 91 octane rating fuel - while the dealer said that I should use regular unleaded
Is 91 octane now the default octane rating for all petrol sold in India - because earlier it used to be 87
- What is the typical brand of fuel you use- for your car - Vasudeva mentioned he uses regular unleaded - does that translate to like a Speed in BPCL or Xtra in IOCL pumps etc
Would be good to know
Thanks
Old 1st April 2008, 12:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
A quick question for corolla users - the corolla manual recommends 91 octane rating fuel - while the dealer said that I should use regular unleaded
Is 91 octane now the default octane rating for all petrol sold in India - because earlier it used to be 87
- What is the typical brand of fuel you use- for your car - Vasudeva mentioned he uses regular unleaded - does that translate to like a Speed in BPCL or Xtra in IOCL pumps etc
Would be good to know
Thanks
BS III fuel has a RON of 91. This is the fuel (normal regular unleaded) sold in Delhi. Thus normal fuel sold in Delhi (and other cities with BS III) is recommended as per Toyota manual. I also had this confusion but I checked it with Toyota and IOC. Some owners use premium fuel (which also has RON of 91)-IOC ExtraPremium-but this has some additives.

http://www.iocl.com/Products/GasolineSpecifications.pdf
Old 1st April 2008, 19:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vasudeva,

> There is a O/D button on the automatic stick. See my garage on team-bhp > and you should be able to locate that button on the shift.

Thanks for pointing it out. I did check out the photo and could identify the O/D button.

> Pressing the button makes O/D on and off. For FE driving, O/D should not be > used, since using it increases rpm, and does not shift to the best gear.

Please confirm the on / off position in relation to the indicator.

Also when you get the time, check the RPM with O/D off and on at a speady speed. The RPM with O/D on should be lower at a constant speed. And O/D should be on for better mileage. To the best of my knowledge this can be left on always as the electronics decide when it should go into the O/D ratio.

>Actually, the button on the stick should not be pressed (Toyota advice in
> manual). To check: the O/D indicator should not appear on the front
> indicator (near the speedo).

Can I take it that the scenario above indicates that the O/D is off?

Corolla has a 4 speed automatic. So essentially this means that the fourth ratio is actuall the O/D and can be switched on - off. This is similar to the Santro's auto box.
Old 1st April 2008, 20:19   #99
BHPian

Vasudeva,

Great posts and a very informative diary. I really liked your fuel efficiency excel sheet and your total cost of ownership details. BTW, what is the cost of this car and what freebies/extras did you get at the time of buying? I am in US now and planning to return to India and seriously looking for an automatic before this year end and just want to get some ballpark figures.

Thanks again for this great thread.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:30   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Vasudeva,

> Also when you get the time, check the RPM with O/D off and on at a speady speed. The RPM with O/D on should be lower at a constant speed. And O/D should be on for better mileage. To the best of my knowledge this can be left on always as the electronics decide when it should go into the O/D ratio.

>Actually, the button on the stick should not be pressed (Toyota advice in
> manual). To check: the O/D indicator should not appear on the front
> indicator (near the speedo).

Can I take it that the scenario above indicates that the O/D is off?
I used to check RPM initially, but I guess the auto adjusts the RPM automatically. So I do not bother to see the RPM now. I do know that it generally shifts up at around 1.8-2,000 RPM, and RPM at 85 kmph is 2000 (nearly). I do not know about O/D except to know that it should not be used (Toyota's manual) for better FE. Easy to know: if you press it, the `O/D off' light comes on near the speedo (I read this initially in the owner's manual and over a period of time, memory loss may have set in). Not using the knob means `O/D on' is there, but there is no indicator light to tell you that (only when you press the knob, does the indicator `O/D off' comes on). Since you are keen, I shall check the manual again and let you know in a day or two.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:37   #101
BHPian

OD button is there in Santro AT also and has the same indicator i.e, when it is off , it shows.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:37   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmurali View Post
Vasudeva,

Great posts and a very informative diary. I really liked your fuel efficiency excel sheet and your total cost of ownership details. BTW, what is the cost of this car and what freebies/extras did you get at the time of buying? I am in US now and planning to return to India and seriously looking for an automatic before this year end and just want to get some ballpark figures.

Thanks again for this great thread.
I got a discount of 1.09 lakhs on H4 auto. These figures change by the month, and it may not be useful to you. Somebody on this post got a discount of around 1 lakh on H4 in March 2008.

Regarding FE, it depends a lot on traffic and what is city FE in US is close to peak FE in India. For example, if you read US posts on Corolla, you may find people complaining about 30-35 mpg in Corolla, and some people getting more than 40. If I get even 30 mpg (12.8 kmpl), I would be extremely satisfied. However, in 55 weeks of ownership, there have been only 2 weeks when my FE exceeded that. If you wish to, I can email you the excel chart of my weekly FE.

There has been an upward trend since Dec, with a further upward trend from late Jan. I was getting around 10.4 before Dec, went up to around 11 in Dec-Jan, and to 11.6-13 over the last 8-9 weeks. Reason: winters, and opening of Delhi-Gurgaon expressway which has cut my travel minutes by around 20 mins. on a daily drive of 70 kms.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:53   #103
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Somebody on this post got a discount of around 1 lakh on H4 in March 2008.
Just in case you are refering to me then I'd like to make a small correction:

It was Feb 2008. And the total cash discount was 1.25 Lacs to be exact plus a few freebies like Toyota body cover, Toyota Sun shade, Toyota Foot mats, and under body rust treatment. Add on top of that my 65% NCB and the total on road price for the H4 comes to 11.80 Lacs OTR!

P.S. - I checked the O/D switch. I was on the Nizammuddin bridge (enroute to Noida) doing 70kmph at 1700rpm when I pressed the O/D switch on the gear lever and the orange "O/D Off" light came on in the console, and the RPM jumped by around 800-900 approx. Then I clicked the O/D switch again and the "O/D Off" light went out and the RPM came down back to 1700 odd. Did this couple of times and the same thing kept happening.

Moral: The car normally drives in O/D mode. You can press the O/D switch to get higher RPM whenever you want. This may be especially useful on highways during overtaking (not that it is needed quite frankly as the car has requisite amount of power to drive on Indian roads).

Also I've noticed that when I start the car the rpm goes high to around 1200 odd, then it auto adjusts in a few seconds to 700 odd. During short stops at the lights if I remain in D position with the brake lever pressed the rpm is around 700 odd. When I put it in N the rpm first goes to around 1200 then it settles down to 700 in a few seconds.

Last edited by HSV : 2nd April 2008 at 12:05.
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:07   #104
BHPian

Quote:
BS III fuel has a RON of 91. This is the fuel (normal regular unleaded) sold in Delhi. Thus normal fuel sold in Delhi (and other cities with BS III) is recommended as per Toyota manual. I also had this confusion but I checked it with Toyota and IOC. Some owners use premium fuel (which also has RON of 91)-IOC ExtraPremium-but this has some additives.

http://www.iocl.com/Products/GasolineSpecifications.pdf
Vasu
Thanks for the help - will stick with regular unleaded then - since Chennai is a BS III city as well
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:12   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Just in case you are refering to me then I'd like to make a small correction:

It was Feb 2008. And the total cash discount was 1.25 Lacs to be exact plus a few freebies like Toyota body cover, Toyota Sun shade, Toyota Foot mats, and under body rust treatment. Add on top of that my 65% NCB and the total on road price for the H4 comes to 11.80 Lacs OTR!

P.S. - I checked the O/D switch. I was on the Nizammuddin bridge (enroute to Noida) doing 70kmph at 1700rpm when I pressed the O/D switch on the gear lever and the orange "O/D Off" light came on in the console, and the RPM jumped by around 800-900 approx. Then I clicked the O/D switch again and the "O/D Off" light went out and the RPM came down back to 1700 odd. Did this couple of times and the same thing kept happening.

Moral: The car normally drives in O/D mode. You can press the O/D switch to get higher RPM whenever you want. This may be especially useful on highways during overtaking (not that it is needed quite frankly as the car has requisite amount of power to drive on Indian roads).

Also I've noticed that when I start the car the rpm goes high to around 1200 odd, then it auto adjusts in a few seconds to 700 odd. During short stops at the lights if I remain in D position with the brake lever pressed the rpm is around 700 odd. When I put it in N the rpm first goes to around 1200 then it settles down to 700 in a few seconds.
O/D mode lets the car go into the fourth gear as well - so as you drive on the highway at a high constant speed - it goes into the fourth gear - if the O/D shift was off - it would only remain in the 3rd gear- so your acceleration would be harder but your mileage would drop
If you really want to overtake you can always shift to the lower gears on the stick shift and rev it up !

Most Viewed