Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:10   #61
BHPian

Re: 2 decades of ownership : A review of my Ford Ikon

This is interesting! How they could find you! Through service records? Btw, what does this mean really for Ford? Looks like they are very committed to the Indian market but they are not. Why this confusing signal to the customers as well as to the prospective customers. Endeavour was going to my next car and lucky I did not buy it. Many like me might have cancelled their plans with Ford's ever changing 'strategy' on India.
sgmuser is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:39   #62
BHPian

Thats one well maintained car you have there. It’s apparent that you have put in a lot of love and effort keeping it in such a great condition. Seeing your Ikon brings back a lot of old memories and also a twine of regret that I had to let mine go when I did. I had no choice as it was flood damaged within 3 weeks of buying it.

The Ikon Flair was my first Ford in India. I loved it, the handling and ride punched far above its class. As far as servicing and product support by Ford is concerned; recently my current Ford Fiesta broke down in the middle of nowhere on a National Highway, it was a PCM failure. Ford attended to the problem promptly and efficiently. Currently there is no car in the market which inspires me to upgrade from the Fiesta, I plan to keep it at least towards the end of this decade and I am reasonably confident that Ford will provide the necessary support.
PratikPatel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 12:32   #63
BANNED

That is one hell of an emotional ad. My first car was first generation ikon 1.6 and current one is an Ecosport. I can relate this very well.

Last edited by johnjojo08 : 2nd January 2022 at 12:42.
johnjojo08 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 19:15   #64
BHPian

What does this ad mean? With Ford closing shop in India, does this mean that they will continue to service the vehicles for the next 'x' years? Like Maruti does for models no longer in production? Does anyone have any insights into this?
vasanthn21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 19:44   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Very pleased to see my Ikon getting featured on Ford India’s official YouTube channel!

https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=hiDtmXl-NeM
Your Ikon became Iconic. The ad just made it immortal. Lucky you
headbanger is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
This is interesting! How they could find you! Through service records? Btw, what does this mean really for Ford? Looks like they are very committed to the Indian market but they are not. Why this confusing signal to the customers as well as to the prospective customers. Endeavour was going to my next car and lucky I did not buy it. Many like me might have cancelled their plans with Ford's ever changing 'strategy' on India.
Even I was in the same boat, was about to purchase an Ecosport Trend Diesel, but they announced the end of local production the same week in which I wanted to book.
Although, went with GTO’s and D-BHPian Lamborghini’s recommendation and purchased Ertiga and am very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
What does this ad mean? With Ford closing shop in India, does this mean that they will continue to service the vehicles for the next 'x' years? Like Maruti does for models no longer in production? Does anyone have any insights into this?
From what I could gather, the idea is to instil confidence in the minds of Ford owners to let them know that Ford will continue to provide service and support for existing cars, despite the fact that they don’t manufacture here any longer. I guess they wanted to drive home the point that even their earliest cars are still being supported. Hope this remains true.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:23   #67
BHPian

Well that must be very satisfying to you Sanidhya, as you have put in lot of hard work, love, for the upkeep of the car and obviously have real emotions attached with it. Your car is a Model now.
Apparently Ford is trying to allay any obvious fears with current Ford owners regarding the company's support for their upkeep and maintenance. On the other hand, not so obvious but possible reason could be that they don't want to loose the Ford's presence from public's memory. May be for their next plan, be it the CBU route or something else.
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 15:32   #68
BHPian

The car looks amazing for her age. Touch wood. Kudos to you for maintaining her so very well. The emotions can be well understood since it's your car.

As suggested by others, the headlamp change will make her even more beautiful.
vijuk21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

Truly a family wala feeling. Ford knows how to make ads that lights a spark or two. I always say, once a Ford guy, always a Ford guy. Keep her as long as you can, ROCAM is truly a gem.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:04   #70
BHPian

Quote:
So I recently got a call from Ford India asking me if they could borrow my Ikon for an ad shoot.
Great to read about this man, opened flood of memories for me, over the period used two Ford Ikon, have very fond memories of them, 1.6 sxi was in my buying list during those days but ended up with 1.3 flair both the times.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 19:24   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuk21 View Post
The car looks amazing for her age. Touch wood. Kudos to you for maintaining her so very well. The emotions can be well understood since it's your car.

As suggested by others, the headlamp change will make her even more beautiful.
Thank you for the kind words! Yes, even I have been looking to change the headlamps, but have not been able to find the ones with the orange side indicators. The clear lenses of the NXT model are available, but using those would take away from the originality. Will go for a headlight restoration soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Truly a family wala feeling. Ford knows how to make ads that lights a spark or two. I always say, once a Ford guy, always a Ford guy. Keep her as long as you can, ROCAM is truly a gem.

Cheers!
VJ
Family wala feeling indeed! Unfortunately, the Ford tradition could not continue because Ecosport left the market, but hey, there’s always next time. Hopefully they come up with some nice CBU products by the middle of this decade. Even I’ve heard a great deal about the ROCAM motors, but never got to drive one. Mine is the least desirable pushrod engine, but hey, an Ikon is an icon!
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 16:14   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So I recently got a call from Ford India asking me if they could borrow my Ikon for an ad shoot.
Wow, that's a great gesture from the company who requisitioned your car for a very touchy and emotional advertisment. The car has found its place in Ford India's history. Hopefully, their men are teambhp fans it appears as they could have spotted your valued car here.

The fossil remains of the company once called Ford India Ltd is also publishing full page advertisements in national newspapers to show its commitment to customers.

The modus operandi for their very sudden India exit was too shocking and even heart rending for its customers and dealers and workers. Now such advertisements purported to soothe the nerves of those left in the lurch by Ford India Ltd need to be best taken with a pinch of salt.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 17:30   #73
BHPian

I am really confused about this ad. Didn't Ford shut shop in India? What is the point of creating such beautiful ads if you are exiting the market?
Lazy Driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 23:05   #74

Ford Ikon was a symbol of youth and power when it had launched. Glad to see the well maintained car.
Congratulations on the car featuring on Ford's ad
Aj_Pod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 11:02   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

After ensuring that the car is running fine, it struck me that the car cannot be driven down to their location. When I told them this, they were more than happy to send a flatbed truck to pick it up from my residence:
This is wonderful and what a lovely permanent memory to have of your car.

I didn’t follow this bit - if its running fine why could it not be driven down? Unless the distance was too long an inter city journey.

Did they return the car exactly as is? If the car needed any specific TLC (from the way you keep it it sounds like it doesn’t), then it would be have been a nice gesture for them to give it a nice touch of something extra. Not sure what that could have been depending on the condition.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks