Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2022, 11:32   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2 decades of ownership : A review of my Ford Ikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I didn’t follow this bit - if its running fine why could it not be driven down? Unless the distance was too long an inter city journey.
Not sure if this is right, but I remember reading that it was because of the NGT rules. Nevertheless, Sanidhya_Mukund, you've got a fantastic memory for the rest of your life. I appreciate Ford doing this even if they might not live up to the expectations.
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 11:51   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Driver View Post
I am really confused about this ad. Didn't Ford shut shop in India? What is the point of creating such beautiful ads if you are exiting the market?
They may have stopped making cars here, but I guess they are trying to highlight the fact that repairs and service support will still exist. Also, as BHPian Fawad0222 had said, I think this helps them stay in public memory until they start with selling CBUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_Pod View Post
Ford Ikon was a symbol of youth and power when it had launched. Glad to see the well maintained car.
Congratulations on the car featuring on Ford's ad
Thank you! Yes, the Ikon indeed was a great car in the early 2000s. It simply blew everything else in the segment away. I still remember, people literally used to come to look at it whenever parked in public parkings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This is wonderful and what a lovely permanent memory to have of your car.

I didn’t follow this bit - if its running fine why could it not be driven down? Unless the distance was too long an inter city journey.

Did they return the car exactly as is? If the car needed any specific TLC (from the way you keep it it sounds like it doesn’t), then it would be have been a nice gesture for them to give it a nice touch of something extra. Not sure what that could have been depending on the condition.
Thank you for the kind words!

Unfortunately, the NGT order has made it illegal to drive on Delhi-NCR roads, which is also the reason why I have to keep it resting on bricks with the battery disconnected.
And yes, the car came just as it went, except for the fact that they washed it and polished it. I do need to get some work done (radiator service, oil change and a couple of electrical oddities), but will get all that done later as on that specific day, I had to travel so the car had to be returned really quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Not sure if this is right, but I remember reading that it was because of the NGT rules. Nevertheless, Sanidhya_Mukund, you've got a fantastic memory for the rest of your life. I appreciate Ford doing this even if they might not live up to the expectations.
Yes, that’s right. Thank you for the appreciation!
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 11:53   #78
BHPian

Oh, so that is your car in the new Ford Service Ad, Congratulations !!

Nice of Ford to try to allay fears of the existing user base by trying to show that they are here to serve with their new TV ad & full page print ads in newspapers.
Hope they stay true to their word.

I also think that they are trying to maintain a positive brand image in the country so that when the EV ecosystem is established & stops eating into their funds for R&D, they can again lookout for expanding into overseas markets like India. So they don’t want to burn all the bridges in their current exodus.
ScorpioYadav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 21:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Got to see this ad in Star Sports. This ad is special after going through this thread and every time I see this ad, there is voice inside me " ah team bhp'ian car" Also I tell about how Ford got this car for ad to every new person

I wish there is a "LIVE TO DRIVE" sticker on front bumper
Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 12:37   #80
BHPian

That's a sweet gesture from Ford.
Did they service your Ikon as well, as a good-will gesture or was it just for the ad/sake of stirring in some emotions?
I own a 1.6 Rocam and have been having difficulty procuring spares.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 15:24   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
That's a sweet gesture from Ford.
Did they service your Ikon as well, as a good-will gesture or was it just for the ad/sake of stirring in some emotions?
I own a 1.6 Rocam and have been having difficulty procuring spares.
Nope, the car was not actually serviced because I had to travel on the day it went to them. I do have to get a few things sorted out, but I would prefer to get them done in my presence once the third wave calms down.
What spares are you having trouble finding?
Old 20th January 2022, 18:21   #82
BHPian

Ford Figo featured in EVO India's 'Ford India Special : Ikon , Fiesta , Figo , Aspire | Gone But Not Forgotten Ep 7 | 2022 | evo India' video had TeamBHP's I live to drive sticker.

Here is the Youtube link to the full video-

And below is the snapshot of the Red Figo with the TeamBHP sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
2 decades of ownership : A review of my Ford Ikon-screenshot-56.png  

AROO7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 15:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROO7 View Post
Ford Figo featured in EVO India's 'Ford India Special' video had TeamBHP's I live to drive sticker.

And below is the snapshot of the Red Figo with the TeamBHP sticker.
That's a BHPian's Ford Figo, currently with 'asit.kulkarni93'. You can find its ownership thread on forum.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 20:36   #84
BHPian

Brilliant and an emotional thread.

I myself had the Ford Fusion (1.5 duratec petrol) for 11 years. 2005-2016. I still miss the steering feedback that the car had. My dads current Ford ecosport is a close second.
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 19:25   #85
BHPian

Recently Acquired a 02' Ikon 1.6. She was not well loved but she was used as an executive car when she was new. Has optional Alloys and not the original front bumper, but I'm willing to bet she had fog lamps.

Currently in the workshop for a failed Ignition coil and other small niggly bits to get fixed and she's got a failed fuel guage, so I'm hoping to get that fixed soon. She's done 86k km so far.

She's a definition of "Diamond in the rough". I'll be making a thread soon.
IronDrago56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:37   #86
BHPian

All was going well with the Ikon, but one fine day, it refused to start. The car was cranking, power windows and horn were working, so I knew that it wasn’t the battery at fault. Up next, I unscrewed the petrol pipes under the bonnet and asked somebody to crank the car. No petrol was being supplied. I thought that the car was out of petrol, so I got about 10 litres in a can and poured it into the car. The fuel gauge moved, but the car didn’t start. Up next, I checked the fuel pump fuse, but even that was fine.

Distressed, I got in touch with D-BHPian Vigsom, who asked me to listen carefully and see if I can hear the fuel pump turning on when I crank the car. With my ears alert, I cranked the car and sure enough, the pump wasn’t turning on. Vigsom sir then guided me to check the fuel pump wiring, since he felt that there could have been rodent bites. However, the wires were all okay. He then asked me to check the fuel pump relay, which was also fine. (Might I add, the fuel pump relay is located behind the fuse box, inside the dashboard in the Ford Ikon). Now that even the relay was okay, he reached the conclusion that it was the fuel pump motor itself that had gone bad.

2 decades of ownership : A review of my Ford Ikon-419471c061bb48c58ac7bd593003de55.jpeg
The fuse box has to be lowered to access the relays.

Now, I don’t have the competency to replace the pump myself, so I got the car towed to a local garage. They sourced a new motor for around 3k and sure enough, the car fired up!

The car hoisted on the ramp to remove the fuel tank assembly:

2 decades of ownership : A review of my Ford Ikon-579622449e6e426eaad1f9ee9815350b.jpeg
2 decades of ownership : A review of my Ford Ikon-702e280e985e48738cf162f4ee8bf2ac.jpeg

I must sincerely thank Vigsom sir for his help! Without even seeing the car, he was able to diagnose the issue!

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 27th April 2022 at 10:45.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 16:39   #87
BHPian

That is one hell of a work, removing the fuel tank to replace the pump.

Is it the only way? Vento has an opening to access the fuel pump beneath the rear bench seat. It doesn't require removal of fuel tank.

Last edited by pgoyal1996 : 5th May 2022 at 16:40. Reason: Punctuation
pgoyal1996 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 12:00   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoyal1996 View Post
That is one hell of a work, removing the fuel tank to replace the pump.

Is it the only way? Vento has an opening to access the fuel pump beneath the rear bench seat. It doesn't require removal of fuel tank.
Even the Ikon has a hatch below the rear seat to access the fuel pump, but one can only use it to check the wiring and connections. The removal of the pump warrants an entire removal of the fuel tank and there is no alternative. The same process needed to be followed even on my Maruti Esteem. I guess things could have changed in modern cars like the Vento etc., but in most ancient cars like the Ikon, removal is the only way.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:58   #89
BHPian

A leaky door garnish beading caused water to enter into my Ikon and the carpet had got wet. The car had also suffered some rodent damage. Sent the car to the garage and got the following work done:

1. Door garnish replacement
2. Rear brake shoes replaced
3. Rear wheel bearings replaced
4. Exhaust leak fixed
5. Front strut mounts changed
6. Fused bulbs replaced, damaged wiring repaired, fuses replaced
7. New wiper blades
8. Got the floor a new coat of anti-rust paint, commonly known as ‘Japan Black’

Total damage? Around 15k. The car now runs well, but has started to sound even more throaty after the leaky exhaust was fixed. They told me that it is better to replace it. Other than that, the car is largely in good health. The oil change is due in a couple of months. I am planning to replace the battery, coolant, front brake pads and the silencer along with the oil change. The boot release switch has also given up, but I am unable to find a replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
2 decades of ownership : A review of my Ford Ikon-094ee3fdbaee42da82ee97b86d9728e7.jpeg  

2 decades of ownership : A review of my Ford Ikon-0adb43e1294e46a6a947ddc84c8bd26e.jpeg  

2 decades of ownership : A review of my Ford Ikon-e96a48078a234ef4a790823f3ea58d1d.jpeg  

Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 18:28   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
The boot release switch has also given up, but I am unable to find a replacement.
See if this helps.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...se-set-up.html (Unlocking the Ford Ikon : DIY Boot Release set-up)
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks