Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 15:36   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 80K update on Page 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
BTW, the gauge shows CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) of the battery as 350, though I am not sure what it should be for the Baleno
Looked up the warranty-card of the battery and saw the CCA mentioned as 342 - confirmed this with the Amaron dealer. So, effectively my current battery not only has a CCA better than what it is rated for when new but also has voltage at required level or more (12.6V), yet the gauge says the battery is bad and due for replacement. So, maybe one or more cells of the battery must have gone for a toss ???
Old 20th February 2012, 18:46   #92
Senior - BHPian

New battery at 7years and 55000kms

Quote:
So, looks like I need to change battery ASAP.
After procrastinating for many days, I finally dropped in at the Amaron store on Chamiers Road today morning on my way to work, to get the battery replaced. While the old battery continued to work, I no longer had confidence in it and everytime I had to stop somewhere enroute to work/home, there was always this lingering doubt whether the car would start again.

As told over the phone, it was Rs4048 for an Amaron Flo with 4-year warranty. On showing the warranty card of my current battery, they said the discounted value would be Rs3345, which is a Rs700 discount. As per Amaron's warranty terms, the discount should be 20% ie.Rs800 and when I asked this, they gave some story of how the discount is calculated not on MRP, but on the value invoiced to them by Amaron. Anyway, it was just 100bucks, so I let it go.

As I drove off, the feeling of driving without a worry of car not starting, was priceless.

BTW, the funny thing was when I brought my car in, the installer was not aware that I had already discussed the model/price and had decided to change the battery. He assumed I wanted the battery checked and uses that suction-pump device to check electrolyte in each cell and then uses a multimeter to check the current battery under various conditions (engine off with no-load, engine-off with lights & fan on, engine-on with no-load, engine-on with lights and a/c etc). I just standby and after he is done, ask him what he thinks of the battery - he says the battery is good. Which did not really surprise me because with my tests using the battery-gauge also the vital (CCA, voltage etc) params showed good. I then told him that the gauge had indicated the battery to be bad. He then asks me to crank the engine again and then notices the slight hesitation at the start of the crank-cycle and then agrees that indeed there is an issue.
Old 27th February 2012, 14:34   #93
Senior - BHPian

Some more maintenance over the week + some tips and tricks

16-Feb-2012 :
Around 5PM I am driving home from work and halfway I think I heard a kind of grating/creaking sound from the car. Naah, it must be the abused Indicab running along side me !!! But when the sound persists even after the Indicab has long gone, I get worried. I switch off the FM and find that it comes when I brake - not the braking in B2B traffic at slow speeds, but say if brakes applied at 20kmph or more. It is audible even with windows up. Braking efficiency does not seem down. I can't make out though whether it comes from front wheels or rear.

Anyway I check with friends and a mechanic who happens to be a friend and the unanimous verdict is that the disk pads might need to be replaced. And if I don't do it quick, the discs/rotors could get damaged. Take the car to Ignite on ECR and check the pads, they are good. Infact quite good - see pic below. We anyway replaced the pads with a new set of Ceradrive pads (Rs1600) just to confirm, but it does not eliminate the noise during TD. So, put back the old disc-pads - I have kept the new ones as a spare for future replacement.
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-11.32.42.jpg

Funny thing is MASS asked me to change pads at the 30K km service and I told them to take a hike because I dont think brake pads need to be changed so early in the life of a car. Looks like I was right.

Tip# 1 : Don't go blindy by your A.S.S. - get a second opinion. Infact it is an easy DIY to open and check disc-pads - a thread exists on the forum I believe.

Now while doing TD, the mechanic pulls the handbrake and the noise comes, which means the issue is with rear brakes.

Tip# 2 : (For newbies, like me) : If you have an issue with the brakes, do the handbrake-test first to help narrow down to where the issue is rear or front. Be sure to do this on an open road and with all necessary precautions - would not be fun to end up doing a handbrake turn and find yourself perpendicular to traffic.

Now they jack up the car and first check the rear-left brakes. Brake-shoe is good with lots of life left in it (thickness-wise) and brake-cylinder is also good. But since the shoes have some wear on them, the drum has got serrations, which will need to be milled at a machining-shop, else it could damage the new shoes. Ask them to get the drum on both rear-wheels milled.

The car jacked-up at Ignite
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-15.09.50.jpg

The mechanic (a good experienced guy) now opens the rear-right wheel and we have the culprit. The brake-shoe has come off its metal 'holder' - so no wonder I got the noise. As if this was not enough, the brake-cylinder is busted and the whole place is gooey with brake-oil - no wonder, I once had the check-brake light come on some months ago after which I topped-up brake oil and it went away.

Tip# 3 : It is a possible sign of bad things if the brake-fluid level goes down - would help to check the brakes.

The dirty drum - with the brake-shoes missing
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-12.47.17.jpg

The brake-shoes that came off
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-12.47.22.jpg

All brake-fluid gooey stuff
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-12.54.13.jpg

The interiors are cleaned with RustOff, damaged cylinder is changed, new brake-shoes fitted on both side brakes & the milled drum is fitted back. I go for a TD with the mechanic and the sound is gone and it looks good.

The wheel after cleaning & fitting new cylinder, brake-shoes
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-14.42.16.jpg

While we were waiting for the drums to come back after milling, I see this poster about cleaning K&N air-filters and remember that after plonking a filter in many years ago, I never got around to cleaning/oiling it - I do dust it off now and then. Get that done.

Damage was Rs.3250, with the break-up being :

Brake shoes : 1600
Labour - brake overhaul - 300
K & N air filter cleaning & oiling - 100
RHS wheel cylinder - 650
Machine shop labour charges - 300x2 = 600

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 27th February 2012 at 14:43.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 19:52   #94
Senior - BHPian

Couple of issues noticed after the brake-overhaul :

1) While I missed noticing this one during the TD after the work was done, this was quite clear when I drove home from work on the day of the brake-job. The brake-pedal seemed to be pushing back when pressed - sort of like ABS pulsation. Since my car does not have ABS, this felt wierd. The car seems to brake well, but this push-back by the brake-pedal feels queer and does not provide the confidence that was there earlier.

Checked with my mechanic friend and as per him this brake-juddering is in all probability due to the milling of the drums not being properly done (uneven), which leads to the brake-shoes not getting a proper fit on them, leading to brake-cylinder trying to balance the pressure on the shoes and thus pulsating feedback sent back to pedal.

2) Yesterday while waiting at a traffic light, I pulled the handbrake couple of notches up. For that slight incline, normally this would have been enough to hold the car steady, but I felt the car moving backwards. Had to pull handbrake to max position to hold it steady. This is a different behaviour from before.

Need to get both these issues checked at Ignite. Any comments/suggestions on the above issues would be welcome.

Some other random notes :

1) FE : I am over the moon about the FE and funny this should come when the car is 7 years old. A 35.95litre fill of normal petrol for Rs2500 gives me an easy range of 500kms, leading to an FE of ~14 KMPL with 100% a/c. I have achieved 14kmpl in the past too, but that was with a drastic change in driving style. But now, this FE is with my normal driving and the credit goes to the new BPCL pump I stumbled upon - this is adjacent the old Woodlands-driveIn hotel. Basically this means the other pumps are doling out lesser fuel per litre.

2) The bounce-back bumper : Couple days ago, I was waiting at the signal near OTA to take a right onto GST road. To my left was a cabby in an Indica also waiting to take a right. Ofcourse since the concept of lane is unknown to them, instead of taking a semi-circular track, he takes a diagonal route and comes bang in front of me. I brake, but my front left-bumper is nudged by his rear-right bumper. He gives me a dirty look as if I am at fault, which I ignore and move on. At home, I see that the bumper has gone in, which worries me - I was expecting only a scratch at best. But next day morning the bumper has bounced back to normal shape.

3) Tyres : While the brake job was being done at Ignite, I walk around and check the tyres and the tread looks like it was when new. Except for front-right tyre which has worn off at the outside-edge - alignment issue ?

Rear-right tyre :
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-13.22.38.jpg

Rear-left tyre :
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-13.23.01.jpg

Front-right tyre - the only one with wear on the outside-edge :
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-13.23.31.jpg

Front-left tyre :
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-20120223-13.24.36.jpg

Maybe I will replace the worn-out tyre with the stepney.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th February 2012 at 19:54.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 17:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned in the earlier post, the brake-judder on applying brakes (kinda like the pushback on ABS-brakes) was irritating, but with things getting busy at work and personal front, I did not have the time to take the car to Ignite to have this looked into. So for the past month and more I have been driving around with the problem and as is human nature, changed my braking to be more proactive (avoiding last minute surprises). Over this time, the problem has sort of vanished - maybe the newly milled drums bedded with the shoes after the running around for many hundred kms ?

Anyway, the brakes did not seem like a problem anymore and things were good till I decided one weekend to rotate the tyres as it was 6K kms since the last rotation. I jack up the car, and start removing the front-left tyre. 3 of the nuts come off, but the 4th just keeps rotating. Hmm. Am in a real soup now - imagine if Murphy's law applies and that particular tyre gets punctured ?

As always, I look up tbhp and co-incidentally there is a thread about a similar situation started the same day or so :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...unded-off.html

If the wheels were steel, it would have been easy - just cut off the offending stud, put a new stud. But mine being alloys, access was an issue - got the nut gas-welded off, put a new stud and back in action. Ofcourse, the heat has affected the area around the offending nut on the alloys, but I did not have much of an option - with a Kodaikanal trip planned next week, I could not delay this. BTW, they apply grease all around the area of the nut before gas-cutting it - this helps reduce alloy-paint damage to an extent.

Damage : Labour(300) + Gas-cutting(50) + stud/nut (50) = 400

The time spent at Ignite for the above, turned out to be a mini tbhp-meet.
- I see a Black Getz CRDI parked there with a Driven-by-team-bhp sticker at the rear and have a feeling it must be Phoenix's car. This is confirmed when I see an invoice on front passenger seat, with his name on it.

- Then Arka and his bro drop in to collect their Fiesta after service.

- And while I am ready to drive off after the work is done, a guy comes over and asks "Tbhp-ian?", seeing the stickers all around my car. And so I get to meet Marlin who has come with some issues in his Indica Zeta.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th April 2012 at 18:03.
Old 6th April 2012, 20:05   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

- And while I am ready to drive off after the work is done, a guy comes over and asks "Tbhp-ian?", seeing the stickers all around my car. And so I get to meet Marlin who has come with some issues in his Indica Zeta.
OT : Marlon with Xeta issues in Alternator and Power Steering Pump. Left a big dent in my pocket. Will write a separate report on it.
Old 18th July 2012, 18:54   #97
Senior - BHPian

60K service - the quickest 10K ever

The 50K service was done at Ignite on 8-July-2011 and even before a year passed since then, the odo had rolled to 60000 in end June2012. While regular usage of the car decreased in the past year due to working from home one day a week, 2 trips to Kodai and Velankanni resulted in this being the first time ever that I actually clocked 10K in 1 year.

Due to being tied up at work and personal front, I could get the car to Ignite only today for the service and by then the odo was at 61125 kms. As always, Raghav took the car out for a test-drive on ECR and then on a bad patch to check the suspension, which was good. So, basically it has to be a 60K service as per the car-manual. Plus I had 2 issues to be looked in specifically apart from the general service :

1) after changing the brake shoes some months ago, the handbrake had become ineffective.
Earlier pulling it up by 1 slot was enough for most slopes, but now it needed the lever to be pulled all the way up. This is actually a simple DIY, but was lazy to do this myself.

2) The age-old Engine Check Light being always on issue.

I had identified a garage at Cenotaph road (thanks to a thread by a Chennai tbhp-ian) who did the scan for Rs500, but never got the time to go and get the scan done. Ignite did not have the scan-tool, but Raghav tried another method to get the error code. It seems most Suzukis have a 4-pin or 6-pin connector in the fuse box, where you could connect 2 terminals to put the ECU in test-mode and read the error code. Refer Check Engine Light for more details. Thanks, Raghav for the link and info.

Once the terminals were connected with a piece of wire, the error code could be read off by the number of blinks of the ECL on the dash. In this case, there was a single blink (indicating 1) followed by four blinks in quick succession (indicating 4). Error code 14 means an issue with the Water Temperature Sensor. We were happy that we could trace the issue finally and a new WTS was put in the car and the ECL vanished. Only to come back again after the car returned from water-wash.

So, the new WTS sensor was removed and ECL is again lighted up in the dash. Need to get the error code read by a scantool, have it reset and then get the car back to Ignite to change whichever sensor is kaput.

The car was ready after service and water-wash at 4PM, with the damage being Rs4183 - breakup as below :
Engine oil - 3.8L - Rs1273
Oil filter - 160
Coolant - 1L - 240
Brake Oil - 0.5L - 340
Spark plugs 4# - 500
General service - 800
Waterwash - 350
Consumables - 350 //Grease, aerosols, lubes, easte etc
Tax - 340
-------------
Total - 4183

While new oil does make the engine better, what I have noticed is that after a service there is a very noticeable overall change in the car. Everything seems good (new like), no creaks/groans, and even the suspension seems better/softer. Wonder how this kind of a feeling is achieved - is it the cleaning of muck and then oiling/greasing the various joints that gives this feel-good feeling ?

Anyway, the car was great to drive. A good job by Raghav and team @ Ignite !!!

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 18th July 2012 at 18:56.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 14:02   #98
Senior - BHPian

RPM dipping below idle - cause for concern ?

This issue is seen only very rarely (say once in 10-15 days or so) and only in the evening/night, but would help if someone else has faced it and have a possible cause for this.

What happens is when I am stopped at say the toll-gate (this is where I have mostly noticed it), I am in neutral and paying the toll, I can sense the engine noise decreasing as if it will die out, and I look at the tachometer and see that instead of the usual ~700rpm idling speed, it has come down to 500rpm or even lesser. Is this a cause for concern ? And what could be causing this ?

When this happens, I slightly step on the gas and then once I drive off from the toll-gate, things are normal.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th July 2012 at 14:03.
Old 26th July 2012, 14:38   #99
BHPian

Re: RPM dipping below idle - cause for concern ?

Quote:

What happens is when I am stopped at say the toll-gate (this is where I have mostly noticed it), I am in neutral and paying the toll, I can sense the engine noise decreasing as if it will die out, and I look at the tachometer and see that instead of the usual ~700rpm idling speed, it has come down to 500rpm or even lesser. Is this a cause for concern ? And what could be causing this ?

When this happens, I slightly step on the gas and then once I drive off from the toll-gate, things are normal.
I faced this problem(engine rpm going down below 500 and then jumping to 1000 rpm) quite frequently, happened to me during peak summer with AC on. I wasn't able to explain or show the issue as it wasn't easily reproducible.

The AC would never engage for few minutes once this problem crops up, very frustating in stop and go traffic. My brother is driving my car in Bangalore, he hasn't seen this problem yet. I feel it has something to do with the weather.

Now you car has crossed 60k kms, Are you happy with the noise levels in the cabin on the highway?
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 14:52   #100
BHPian

Quote:
This issue is seen only very rarely (say once in 10-15 days or so) and only in the evening/night, but would help if someone else has faced it and have a possible cause for this.

This happens in my car too. I think it is got to do with the IAC(Idle Air Control) Valve sticking due to carbon deposits. I cleaned the throttle body using WD40 and it help but does not eliminate this problem completely. Will try dis assembling the IAC and cleaning when I have the time.

Quote:
Couple of issues noticed after the brake-overhaul :

3) Tyres : While the brake job was being done at Ignite, I walk around and check the tyres and the tread looks like it was when new. Except for front-right tyre which has worn off at the outside-edge - alignment issue ?

Maybe I will replace the worn-out tyre with the stepney.
The wear pattern may also indicate a improper camber due to worn out suspension components. My wheel alignment guy recently fixed this for me by making some alteration on the strut mounting hole. Though this seems like jugaad, it seems worth trying as the guy has been in business for a long time and knows what he is doing.
Aftermarket Suspension component manufacturers also offer camber adjustment bolts which do the same thing for cases where suspension is raised/lowered.

Last edited by noopster : 1st August 2012 at 18:49. Reason: Please use multi-quote option rather than creating separate back-to-back posts
ssingri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 16:44   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean
I faced this problem(engine rpm going down below 500 and then jumping to 1000 rpm) quite frequently, happened to me during peak summer with AC on. I wasn't able to explain or show the issue as it wasn't easily reproducible. The AC would never engage for few minutes once this problem crops up, very frustating in stop and go traffic.
Yeah, this is a rare issue and also not reproducible at will. But, I did not have AC issues when this comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean
Now you car has crossed 60k kms, Are you happy with the noise levels in the cabin on the highway?
I did not really notice any change. Tyre noise is there from the stock tyres, but that does not bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri
This happens in my car too. I think it is got to do with the IAC(Idle Air Control) Valve sticking due to carbon deposits. I cleaned the throttle body using WD40 and it help but does not eliminate this problem completely. Will try dis assembling the IAC and cleaning when I have the time.
I had the throttle body cleaned at 50K service, but I remember having this issue after that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri
The wear pattern may also indicate a improper camber due to worn out suspension components.
Possible. And maybe alignment issue also - loooong time since I did a wheel alignment.
Old 1st August 2012, 15:35   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...But, I did not have AC issues when this comes up.
A correction here. Yesterday around 9:45PM I have driven the 3-odd kms from my office on OMR to the Tollgate on ChennaiOne and I see the issue. As I wait for the guy to check and return the toll-ticket, car is in neutral and rpm has gone lower then 500 (would be 400 or so, but since the 1st 1000 rpm has only 3 divisions in the guage, it is tough to put an exact number to it. I then decide to check the a/c issue that Mr.Bean mentioned and yes, on turning a/c on (since evenings are cooler, I flick the a/c switch off when interiors are cold and turn on again when it warms up inside), the extra load of a/c makes the rpm go even lower (~300), so I immediately switch off the a/c. Tap the A-pedal and drive on and things are OK though. Strange issue this.
Old 1st August 2012, 16:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
A correction here. Yesterday around 9:45PM I have driven the 3-odd kms from my office on OMR to the Tollgate on ChennaiOne and I see the issue. As I wait for the guy to check and return the toll-ticket, car is in neutral and rpm has gone lower then 500 (would be 400 or so, but since the 1st 1000 rpm has only 3 divisions in the guage, it is tough to put an exact number to it. I then decide to check the a/c issue that Mr.Bean mentioned and yes, on turning a/c on (since evenings are cooler, I flick the a/c switch off when interiors are cold and turn on again when it warms up inside), the extra load of a/c makes the rpm go even lower (~300), so I immediately switch off the a/c. Tap the A-pedal and drive on and things are OK though. Strange issue this.

Spot on with your analysis, this issue is more prominent when we park the vehicle under hot sun for more than 1 hour, embarrassing when the AC does not engage after going out for lunch with colleagues .

To me the vibrations from the engine reach the A-pillar (probably due to hard rubber or engine mounts).
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:41   #104
Senior - BHPian

Maintenance cost of Black Beauty over the last 7 years

A quick-look of the complete maintenance expenses for the Baleno since it was bought in Mar-2005 :

Scheduled Services :
1st Free Service at MASS @ 1020kms - Rs.604
2nd Free Service at MASS @ 4218kms - Rs.0
3rd free Service at MASS @ 9705kms - Rs.634
4th Paid Service at MASS @ 20224kms - Rs.2919
5th Paid Service at MASS @ 30767kms - Rs.2385
6th Paid Service at Elektra @ 38357kms - Rs.4337
7th Paid Service at Ignite @ 50100kms - Rs.3800
8th Paid Service at Ignite @ 60100kms - Rs.4183
-------
Sub-Total-1 : Rs.18,862

Unscheduled repairs :
2 tyre punctures : Rs.80 ------> in 7+ years - really love the Bridgestones
Battery charging: Rs.119 ------> twice drained due to boot-light being on.
Breakdown repair: Rs.10155 ---> RHS drive-shaft, inter. shaft, bearing etc
Brake shoes (rear-right) replacement + labour - 1550
Front disc-brake pads -> 1600 ----> these were not fitted since existing pads were good - kept as future spare
Front-left Wheel-stud gas-cutting and replacement ; 400
K&N filter cleaning - 100
-------
Sub-Total-2 : Rs.14,004

Other part replacement expenses :
2nd Battery (replaced in 3rd year) : 3500
3rd Battery (replaced in 7th year) : 3345
-------
Sub-Total-3 : Rs.6845

Grand total : Rs.39711 That comes to Rs. 5673 per year and Rs 0.66 per km.

Does any guideline-value exist for per-year or per-km maintenance expenditure against which I can compare these values to know if the values are ok/good/bad ?

Last edited by Eddy : 13th June 2013 at 11:22. Reason: Corrected Typo
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 11:18   #105
BHPian

Re: Maintenance cost of Black Beauty over the last 7 years

That is seriously cheap. Glad to see you've not succumbed to the MASS blandishments and foisting of throttle body cleaning/engine decarb,etc. Maruti vehicles are really cheap to maintain, accident parts excepted.

Most Viewed