Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2007, 14:23   #46
Ram
Senior - BHPian

What's in a name? So many cars sharing the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
OT - Were you able to check the badging at the rear ? I'd seen one with the Esteem badge - that's the name of the car there. Looks pretty odd to Indian eyes

The Suzuki Cultus did have a hatch version.
Suzuki Esteem, Cultus, Cultus Crescent and Baleno were all names applied in different markets to this elegant car.

The Suzuki Cultus was the Indian Maruti Esteem, also sold under the name Suzuki Swift in some markets. It was also called the 1988-94 Holden Barina.

The Japanese even had a cute two-door convertible. Imagine having that in India!

BTW the 1994-2005 Holden Barina was the Opel Corsa
and the 2005 onwards Holden Barina is the Chevrolet Aveo/Daewoo Kalos.

The Suzuki Cultus Crescent was the Indian Maruti Baleno, also called Suzuki Esteem in Singapore.

It was meant to fight the Toyota Corolla.
There was a GT version, powered by a Mazda-BP 1840cc engine, putting out 135 bhp.
There was even a Diesel Baleno sold in Europe with a Peugeot XUD engine.
And of course Balenos in Europe could be ordered with ABS, Airbags and full time all-wheel-drive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Airbags in the Baleno

The all-wheel-drive Suzuki Baleno Altura had EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution). EBD regulates the brake-fluid pressure to the rear wheel brakes, based on signals from rear-wheel transducers. The algorithm accounts for varying loads that the Altura Wagon may be subjected to.

All-Wheel-Drive Baleno

ABS in the Baleno

The all-wheel-drive Balenos with ABS also had an inertial "G"-sensors for sensing deceleration. This G-sensor was bolted to the floor under the console, in an all-wheel-drive Baleno.

Ram
Ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2007, 17:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

OK, it's time for an update to this thread.

Last week, the car completed 20K kms and it was time for the 4th service (first paid service). So, took the car to ABT, Arumbakkam yesterday morning for the service.

There were no specific issues that I wanted them to look into, except for the dent in the bumper (due to a girl in an M800 banging into the car from behind ). However, it seems bringing the bumper back to shape requires heating and stuff which has to be done outside at some mechanic's place (who would not be available due to yesterday being a Sunday). So, decided to get it done some other day.

A new bumper costs 3K or so and given the lunatics on the road in Chennai, I am not sure I want to get it replaced only for it to be damaged again by someone else.

Got back the car after service in the evening, with the following work done :

Engine oil replaced (3.7litre X Rs.168.53/litre).
Oil filter replaced (Rs.66.09).
Gear oil changed (2.5 litre x Rs.168.71/litre).
Coolant changed (Rs.208.99).
Wiper fluid changed (Rs.11.84).
All 4 spark plugs replaced (53.5 x 4).
Full water wash + inside cleaning.
Plus other checks that are part of general service.

The total damage to the wallet was Rs.2919 of which consumables was Rs1546, labour was Rs.1050 and tax was Rs.323.

The service itself was only Rs750. Another Rs.300 was charged for rear brake drum cleaning. I am not sure what cleaning they did which was worth 300 bucks. Seems like a rip-off to me.

After the service, the car felt better, but that could be purely psychological. Anyway, all the muck on it for the past few months was gone (was too busy for the last 2 months to clean it) and the car looked yummy after a long time.

Some questions :
1. Is a spark plug good only for 20000 kms ? IIRC, the spark plug on my bike has easily done 40000 kms and still going fine.

2. Even though MUL says the service period is every 10K kms for the Baleno, these guys want me to bring it in every 5K kms. Ofcourse I trust the manufacturer over the dealer and thus stick to 10K period. Why do these guys ask to bring the car in every 5K kms ? Just to make some money ? Or is it really required ?

3. He wanted me to go for a decarbonisation (damage of 1500), which I declined. Is this worth the money or again a way for the dealer to make money ?

Mods, could you please update the thread title to reflect the 20000km update ? Thanks.
Old 8th May 2008, 17:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

The car had done 20000kms in Nov and after 6 months the odo is only at 23500. I know guys who have done 23K in a year or so, while it has taken me 3 years. Anyway, tons of sewage has flowed along the Buckingham Canal (ok, its just a fancy name for the Cooum that flows through Chennai) during this time and its time for updating this thread.

Dents and dings :

During the last 6 months, the car took a hit on the left front door, from an Amby, just opposite Loyola college on my way home from work. Partly my mistake too, so did not pursue it much with the Amby guy.

A long-shot view :
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-dsc00622opti.jpg

The dent in close-up :
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-dsc00754.jpg

Would appreciate it if the experts can suggest the course of action (MASS or private body-shop) and the estimated damage to the wallet.

There is also this hit on the rear bumper that I took from an M800 driven by a lady who could not brake even though 4 cars in front of her easily could. Ofcourse, nothing surprising here because instead of looking at the road ahead, she was busy chatting with her co-passenger.

The bumper hit :
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-dsc00753.jpg

A close-up shot :
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-dsc00752.jpg

John had a look and says that the dent can be pushed out with a stick or something. The MASS guys said the bumper would need to be removed and heated to bring it back to shape. Need to get this done also.

Engine breathing :

Only when n_aditya mentioned about looking for a K&N filter cleaning kit, did I remember about the K&N filter that I had plonked in the car a year or so ago and which I assumed was fit-and-forget. He jolted me to the reality that it needs to be cleaned and so at the last track day, just took it out and saw that it was caked with dust.

Dusted it off a bit and cleaned it with a cloth, but still there is quite some muck that needs to be removed. So, I will need to get that cleaning kit ASAP, and more importantly a weekend in Chennai to do the job.

Wash n Wax :

The car was getting neglected because of my almost weekly visits to Kerala and it did not have even a wash for many months. A comment from madan80 when we met at the TidelPark signal about the looks made me determined to correct this. Luckily I got a weekend at Chennai around that time and so gave her a good wash.

I have always been a big believer in polishing my cars (the hard way using Waxpol wax polish) atleast every few months, but with the Baleno, I never got around to doing it, which irritated my wife no end. She would go, "You would spend hours polishing that 20-year old M800, but don't find time to polish this car".

Anyway, I decided it was time I invested some time for this activity and got a Waxpol liquid polish and after the wash, polished the car. With the liquid polish, it was oh-so-easy and fast to polish the car. And to top it, the gleam of the car was to die for.

It has been a month since I polished the car and the car is still looking neat. All I need to do is dust off the car once in 2 days or so and it looks good. Would highly recommened waxing to anyone who likes to see their car looking neat - it is worth the extra effort. Should make it a practice to wax the car atleast once in 3 months.

Only thing I regret is not having taken some snaps of the waxed BlackBeauty.

Next planned is an FE check - been a long time since I checked it.
Old 6th June 2008, 14:59   #49

Hi

Can you please let me know where you got the tyres done in bangalore

Arun
Old 6th June 2008, 16:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Tyres done ? They are stock tyres, buddy.
And if you were referring to the alloy wheels, they were bought at Chennai.

Bangy guys (rjstyles69, mclaren1888, v1p3r etc) can give you pointers to tyre/wheel shops in Bangalore - PM them.
Old 4th June 2010, 23:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

5th (2nd paid) service @ 30000kms

Can't believe that I did not update this thread for the last 2 years. Anyway, better late than never.

5th (2nd paid) service done on 28-June-2009 at 30767kms at ABT Arumbakkam. No specific complaints mentioned.

Total cost : Rs. 2385

Materials :
- Oil filter : 70.22
- 3.5l Engine oil : 740.46
- 1 wheel nut : 10.30

Labour :
- Paid Service : 800
- Disc brake cleaning : 200
- Drum brake cleaning : 300
- Misc. Labour : 25

VAT @ 12.5% on spares : 102.63
Service Tax @ 10% on labour : 132.50

So, last service they charged 300 bucks for drum brake cleaning. Now another 200 for disc brake cleaning. Not sure what cleaning they do.
Old 4th June 2010, 23:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

And then I got stranded...

The car had just completed 5 years and odo was at 38350kms or so, when on 9-Apr-2010 on my way home from work, the car stalled. I could engage gears, but car won't move on releasing the clutch. It was close to midnight and so I leave the car by the roadside (at Perungudi) and get home in a friend's i10.

More on this at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-9k-more.html

The drive-shaft replacement job cost 10155 + VAT, with break-up being :
Drive shaft : 5330
Intermediate shaft : 1610
Bearing : 965
D.shaft remove & replace : 850
Replacement of inter-mediate shaft : 750
Brakedown attending + Towing charge : 650
Old 4th June 2010, 23:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

6th (3rd paid) service @ 40000kms

Since the car was anyway at Electra Automotive for D.Shaft replacement and with the odo quite near 40K, I decided to get the 40K service also done there.

So, the 6th service was done @ 38357kms on 10-April-2010 at Electra.
Total cost : 4337

Parts :
3.5l Engine oil : 728
Oil filter : 85
Fuel filter : 592
2.5l gear oil : 485
A/c belt : 354
17" Bosch wiper blade : 162
19" Bosch wiper blade : 186
Front left parking bulb : 15
------------------------------
Total : 2607

Labour :
PMS : 850
All brakes cleaning : 550
A/c belt replacing : 120
Electrical checkup : 150
Wiper blades replacing : 60
----------------------------
Total : 1730

So, looks like this "brakes cleaning" thing is a feature at both MASS and non-MASS.
Old 5th June 2010, 00:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Looking back at 5 years of ownership...

As I park the car home today, the odo reads 39,800kms, just 200kms shy of 40K. A good time to look back and introspect on what it has cost to maintain this car over the last 5 years.

A quick-look of the maint. expenses for my Baleno since it was bought in Mar-2005 :

1st Free Service @ 1020kms - Rs.604 (oil and oil-filter changed)
2nd Free Service @ 4218kms - Rs.0 (no oil or filter change at 5k service)
3rd free Service @ 9705kms - Rs.634 (oil and oil-filter changed)
4th Paid Service @ 20224kms - Rs.2919 (Parts-1739, Labour - 1080 + tax)
5th Paid Service @ 30767kms - Rs.2385 (Parts-820, Labour-1325 + tax)
6th Paid Service @ 38357kms - Rs.4337 (Parts-2607, Labour-1730)

Total cost of routine services : Rs.10879

Other maintenance expenses :
1 tyre puncture : Rs.30 // in all of 5 years - I love Bridgestone
Battery charging: Rs.119 // twice drained due to boot-light being on.
Breakdown repair: Rs.10155 // RHS drive-shaft, inter. shaft, bearing etc
Battery replaced in 3rd year : 3500

Grand total : Rs.24683.

That comes to like Rs.4936 per year and Rs 0.62 per km.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:59   #55
BHPian

I read through your entire review to understand what a baleno goes through till about 40k.
I bought my altura at 42k and currently,it's done 1.10lakhs,this car has a great engine,one that seems to go on and on and on.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2010, 15:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

When the odo rolled...

Like many here, I have this habit of glancing at the dashboard every now and then, while driving. The params checked are mainly speed/rpm and the odo/tripmeter readings. Ofcourse, if any light that should not be on (oil, battery, engine malfunction etc) is on, this also comes to attention.

And it was one of those glances at a traffic signal last Saturday, when I see the odo reading as below. Could not let the moment go without clicking it.
My Maruti Baleno LXi. So what's new, right? EDIT: 1,00,000km milestone-dsc02448.jpg
Old 21st June 2010, 15:31   #57
Senior - BHPian

^aah, same situation here. was looking forward to get a similar screenshot on my car last week but forgot and only remembered at 040410 :(
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Lights on the dial stay put when they should not.

1) The engine malfunction light (EML) is on even after engine is started, though no issues with car stalling or bad idling etc.
A search of the forum reveals that this could be most probably the O2 sensor gone kaput. Need to have this looked into.

2) As if the EML staying on was not bad enough, from yesterday the brake-light on the dial pops up every now and then.
Again a quick search of the forum revealed that this could be most probably brake-fluid being low. Which is what it turned out to be. Need to top-up the brake-fluid and check if this fixes it. Also need to check for any leaks in engine bay.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lights on the dial stay put when they should not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
1) The engine malfunction light (EML) is on even after engine is started, though no issues with car stalling or bad idling etc.
A search of the forum reveals that this could be most probably the O2 sensor gone kaput. Need to have this looked into.

2) As if the EML staying on was not bad enough, from yesterday the brake-light on the dial pops up every now and then.
Again a quick search of the forum revealed that this could be most probably brake-fluid being low. Which is what it turned out to be. Need to top-up the brake-fluid and check if this fixes it. Also need to check for any leaks in engine bay.
Do a diagnostic check on the car, you can pm me for details..

Last edited by binz : 23rd March 2011 at 22:10.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lights on the dial stay put when they should not.

@binz, yeah need to get a diag-check done. Hopefully this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Again a quick search of the forum revealed that this could be most probably brake-fluid being low. Which is what it turned out to be. Need to top-up the brake-fluid and check if this fixes it.
On my way home yesterday night, picked up a can of DOT-3 brake fluid from the nearest petrol bunk and topped up the brake-fluid there itself. Since lighting was poor, the marking for "High" level was not visible (why can't they provide a bulb in the engine bay like in old Ambys) and managed to top-up by guesstimation using Braille-type reading of the marker with fingers. Anyway on the drive home, the brake-light never came on - so one problem solved.

Today morning before leaving for work, I think it would be good to check the level to confirm if I had topped up correctly yesterday. Pop the bonnet and I am surprised to see that the brake_fluid-sump is open. I assume that in my hurry maybe I did not close the cap tightly and the cap fell off somewhere during the 15-km drive home.

I am wondering how I will drive to work without the cap, when I see the cap in the engine bay - beside the sump where I had kept it last night while topping up the fluid. I thank my stars and wonder how it managed to remain there during the 15km ride back home without falling off. Sheer luck !!!

Most Viewed