Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 12:27   #31
BHPian

Re: 6 years with Honda Brio | Long-term ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn3006 View Post
Congrats Vasanth!

Some interesting figures! I have managed to touch 154 kmph before the rev limiter kicked in. I have managed to get an efficiency of 25.2 kmpl.

Attachment 2149371
Thank you. She is a beauty inside out.
Wow that’s amazing. The highest mileage I have ever achieved was 23.4 kmpl.
6 years with Honda Brio | Long-term ownership review-e3e8689beac648d8a8de4456495eb63d.jpeg
Old 27th April 2021, 12:36   #32
BHPian

Great to see a post about such a wonderful car. I had zeroed on the Brio when I was looking for my first car in 2014. I knew that a lot of my driving would include long distance drives, so, the boot space turned to be the deal breaker.
Still a great car for what it offered at that time. One of my relatives owns a Brio and I never miss a chance to get my hands on its wheels .
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 14:01   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Very heartwarming to see other loyal and cheerful owners of Honda Brio.

Yes. The AC takes up a while to cool up especially after parking under the sun. Other than that, no problem.
To mitigate this , you can go ahead and install transparent Sun films inside the car.
While these films are not strictly legal per the supreme court guidelines, I am personally not worried as they are not tinted and I am not using my vehicle for Anti-social activities anyway.

I've installed the Garware ice cool films on both the front and back windshield and also on all the four side windows.
1985Darkkid85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 20:21   #34
BHPian

Fantastic review. All the positives are very precisely penned down.

Brio was a overall package be it brand image, looks(subjective ofcourse), frugal engine, VFM, yet it remains a mystery to me why it never sold well.

if you look at kerala, rival eon is fairly popular here & still loved for its compact-easy to drive nature.. which is exactly brio does a way lot better and more. Besides people here have a lot more diverse taste in cars yet Brio is somewhat rarely seen.
Wish you lot more miles ahead, may it always love you back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Not a popular car isn’t it ?
But why?
With booming number of new Compact SUVs, Pseudo SUVs, Our little car really gets faded away from everyone’s eyes.
Not just now, back in 2011-12 it wasn’t really a popular car either.
It is powered by 1.2 L engine producing 88 BHP.
Abby92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 23:07   #35
BHPian

Nice detailed review. I also have a 2015 Brio VX that is our go to city car. I agree with most of the comments on interior, space and utilities. I am yet to find a better city car than Brio. Parking this is as easy as parking a bike! But I'm always surprised to hear people classify Brio as quick.

The main thing I hate about it is that until 1500 rpms it has zero pull. If you r driving up a hill, God save you if you don't up shift all the way to 1st. I've found driving full load in Honda City is better than alone in Brio. So many good reviews of its acceleration makes me wonder whether it is an issue with my car.
astrodex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 09:00   #36

Hi Vasanth,

Congratulations for completing 6 years with the reliable Brio. On the 17th of April,21, I too got a pre owned Brio (thank you GTO for the pre owned cars thread) , 2013 manufactured. I echo each thought of yours especially on the AC performance. As for performance you do need to work the gearbox to get the pull but since the gear lever is a joy to operate, I don't mind that.
Attaching a picture, I have the white colour too.
Attached Thumbnails
6 years with Honda Brio | Long-term ownership review-img_20210417_180949.jpg  

sayyam.gaur58 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 14:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
Hi Vasanth,

Congratulations for completing 6 years with the reliable Brio. On the 17th of April,21, I too got a pre owned Brio (thank you GTO for the pre owned cars thread) , 2013 manufactured. I echo each thought of yours especially on the AC performance. As for performance you do need to work the gearbox to get the pull but since the gear lever is a joy to operate, I don't mind that.
Attaching a picture, I have the white colour too.
Congratulations and welcome to Honda family. Brio is a brilliant car. Wish you tons of miles and smile. Keep revving. Drive safe.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 19:26   #38
BHPian

We have been using a Brio Vx AT for almost 5 years now. It's been wonderful all throughout. However, recently I have been noticing suspension related thuds and bangs...plus the rear suspension has become a lot more bouncier.
Has anybody experienced such things in the Brio?
I was planning to change all 4 shock absorbers along with the lower arms and other links/bushes.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 20:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
We have been using a Brio Vx AT for almost 5 years now. It's been wonderful all throughout. However, recently I have been noticing suspension related thuds and bangs...plus the rear suspension has become a lot more bouncier.
I was planning to change all 4 shock absorbers along with the lower arms and other links/bushes.
I was just about to post regarding the same thing. I've observed a couple of things in my 7 year old brio AT with 67k on odo
1.Suspension making creaking noises while going over speed breakers.(much like the sml isuzu school buses)
2.Wobbling at 90kmh+.Had taken it out for a 900km trip in feb when the front left suspension started showing some signs of vibrations and overall the car had way more body roll than i remember. The brio had taken the role of being the beater car since 2017 and hardly sees 5-7k/year and is used only in the city.

The last service of the car was in March this year when the SA told me that the suspension is weak and a full replacement of the suspension would cost 20k and 1 week time for procuring the same from Honda India.I did give them an approval but the second wave hit and the ASS seems to have forgotten about it. Has anyone on the forum had their brio's suspension changed and how much did it cost?
Old 12th July 2021, 21:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much has your car run? Suspensions typically last between 40,000 to 80,000 km across the car models, road conditions, driving styles etc.

Suspension strut consists of a spring and a hydraulic damper. Bouncy suspension often indicates failed damper with only spring participating in the cushioning. Get your struts checked for leakage and damper failure.

Lower arms have rubber mounts, which may or may not be replaceable in your car. It is the rubber which develops cracks. Typical crack is circular and you can use the lower arm till crack engulfs 180° (half the circle). Lower arm will not cause bouncy ride; it will typically cause steering vibration, steering wandering or clunking noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
... a couple of things in my 7 year old brio AT with 67k on odo
1.Suspension making creaking noises while going over speed breakers.(much like the sml isuzu school buses)
2.Wobbling at 90kmh+.Had taken it out for a 900km trip in feb when the front left suspension started showing some signs of vibrations and overall the car had way more body roll than i remember. The brio had taken the role of being the beater car since 2017 and hardly sees 5-7k/year and is used only in the city.
For creaking noise over the bumps can be caused by the trailing arm bushes of the rear suspension or the front arm bushes of the front suspension. Failed dampers in the struts can also make creaking noises.

Wobbling can be caused by old tyres (deformed) or by bent rims.

The worn stabilizer link rods will give you thud or clunking sounds over the undulations.

Replacing the tyres, struts, bushes, control arms as per the need will restore the quality of ride, handling and steering.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 12th July 2021 at 21:54.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 22:28   #41
BHPian

My car has done about 55k already. It’s actually a 2015 Brio AT. The rear shock absorbers were charged early as part of Honda’s recall when my car was about 1-2 years old.
The new rear struts were leaking again after a year and since then I haven’t bothered. During the lockdown, the car was parked for months together and I suspect that further deteriorated the struts. Same thing happened with my City’s suspension which I got replaced last year (all 4)
There isn’t any point keeping the worn lower arms or something else that hasn’t completely worn out as sooner that too would need replacements. Best practice is to change the whole suspension setup along wirh the link rods, bushes and lower arms etc. I’ve attached a price list for the required spares and labour which I got from my honda dealer today. Have a look.
The tyres too got hard as a result of the cars being parked for extended periods.
Attached Thumbnails
6 years with Honda Brio | Long-term ownership review-4bfdd871e34f43d6b03edc399388fa9c.jpeg  

Last edited by Crankpin : 12th July 2021 at 22:35.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 22:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post

Failed dampers in the struts can also make creaking noises

Wobbling can be caused by old tyres (deformed) or by bent rims.

The worn stabilizer link rods will give you thud or clunking sounds over the undulations.

Replacing the tyres, struts, bushes, control arms as per the need will restore the quality of ride, handling and steering.
Thanks for giving a detailed insight on this. I was being a bit generic but I was told both the link rods and lower arms , all 4 dampers needed to be replaced. Tyres were replaced in July 2017 and have a lot of tread left and have no bulges or cracks in them so that can be ruled out.

Wobbling mostly could be related to bent rims as roads in Bangalore are always a work in progress state and mom's told me about crashing into some unexpected potholes.Will get this checked at a tyre shop after replacing said parts.
TSIVTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 23:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car has done about 55k already. It’s actually a 2015 Brio AT. The rear shock absorbers were charged early as part of Honda’s recall when my car was about 1-2 years old.
The new rear struts were leaking again after a year and since then I haven’t bothered. During the lockdown, the car was parked for months together and I suspect that further deteriorated the struts. Same thing happened with my City’s suspension which I got replaced last year (all 4)
There isn’t any point keeping the worn lower arms or something else that hasn’t completely worn out as sooner that too would need replacements. Best practice is to change the whole suspension setup along wirh the link rods, bushes and lower arms etc. I’ve attached a price list for the required spares and labour which I got from my honda dealer today. Have a look.
The tyres too got hard as a result of the cars being parked for extended periods.
The prices look ok for Honda.

Items 3 to 8 and item 14 may not need replacement at 55k and maybe good for another 50k. So have a look at those. If budget isn't much of concern, outright replacement is always welcome.

I don't see the rubber bush for the rear damper. I think this shall be replaced; may cost around Rs. 250 each and you will need two numbers.

Changing all these parts is very much within the competency of a good FNG. So if needed for logistics / time / cost reasons, you have a choice to get it done at FNG.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 12th July 2021 at 23:10.
Old 12th July 2021, 23:55   #44
BHPian

As I said, it’s the combination of replacing all those parts that’ll give the best results. Can you share the part numbers/ images of anything that’s required but not in the list above?
I have experienced good labour work done by Crystal Honda in the past. I think I’ll get it done form them...besides getting genuine spares won’t be a worry then.
Old 13th July 2021, 00:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I said, it’s the combination of replacing all those parts that’ll give the best results. Can you share the part numbers/ images of anything that’s required but not in the list above?
I have experienced good labour work done by Crystal Honda in the past. I think I’ll get it done form them...besides getting genuine spares won’t be a worry then.
Honda ASC will be the best agency to suggest the part numbers based on the VIN of your car. Just remind them about the rubber bush of the rear strut. This is the bush that sits on the lower pin of the strut. Though not listed in the quotation, I think they will change it anyway.

Also get the trailing arm bushing inspected.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks