Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 08:22   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I'm just wondering whether the problem faced by diffsoft has to do with the fact that his is an AT rather than crankshaft wear.

diffsoft, have you considered diagnosis at another service station ? How confident are the mechanics that it's to do with the crankshaft ?

Do you still have extended warranty coverage ?
Thanks sdp1975:

1. What would be with the AT that would cause loss of transmission?

2. I am going to the service station to take a drive myself and find out.

3. No, I do not have warranty coverage

Cheers,
Old 26th October 2009, 15:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if its the crankshaft. It seems like problem related to torque converter.

There are two ways, simple desi way and actual way.
Does your car starts in a single crank (when engine is hot and cold both).
Also open the hood and rev the car hard after it reaches optimum temperature. Hear for some unusual sounds that may come from the engine. ans also chek the revs should be smooth without any hiccups.

If yes there is no problem with the crankshaft whatsoever.

OTher is use the scan tools at the service centre and diagnose if all the sensor are working.

PS: BTW does santro uses crankshaft sensor. See i am not much of a hyundai fan.
Old 26th October 2009, 15:32   #48
BHPian

Thanks a ton SirAlec - I will do that and let me see.

Went to the Service station and they said that opened a bolt of the casing (??) and found the sprocket worn out.

Thanks a ton
Old 26th October 2009, 17:08   #49
BHPian

Gentlemen (and ladies), I have a March 2005 Santro MT. So far there is no problem with this car, but I am getting jittery and now thinking of replacing my steering wheel and gear shaft with a wooden one, so that i can keep 'touching wood' whenever I am driving it. Seriously, crankshaft failure in 25-50k km is no joke. Mine has clocked about 55,000 km in 4.5 years of running.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Thanks a ton SirAlec - I will do that and let me see.

Went to the Service station and they said that opened a bolt of the casing (??) and found the sprocket worn out.

Thanks a ton
What the 'Beep'. How can he open the casing and show you the crankshaft.

are you sure you are not confusing with something else. are you sure you are not confusing it with camshaft. Coz both are completely different things.

and even if the camshaft worns out, engine will misfire very badly, and you will hear unusual tappet noise.
Old 27th October 2009, 08:06   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
What the 'Beep'. How can he open the casing and show you the crankshaft.
Yeah - he told me he can't open it, but he did tell me that through some way (and I am really dumb in these matters) that the sprocket is worn out.

It is the crankshaft not the camshaft. He then showed me another crankshaft in the workshop and the sprocket and that there is a play that does not allow the sprocket to turn exactly in sync with the shaft - this is what I understood.

In any case I am trying out what you suggested and will let you know

Thanks for your invaluable advice
Old 27th October 2009, 12:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

i am posting images of crankshaft and camshaft.

Crankshaft
Hyundai Santro Xing - Crankshaft & engine repair/ failure-only 26000 Kms & 2 1/2years-crank.jpg

Camshaft
Name:  camshaft.jpg
Views: 9648
Size:  15.2 KB
Old 27th October 2009, 21:12   #53
BANNED

I think mods should consider moving thread to the technical stuff section.

I am not going to buy the story of wear and tear of the crank shaft arising suddenly. And causing power loss. From what I know of engines, unless the crank shaft breaks (as appears to be the case with the guy who started the thread), all other problems with crank shaft will show warning signs, and the engine will keep going for another 10,000 KM. If not, more.

To see the crank shaft, you have to open the crank case - the crank would be visible only from the underside of the engine. (again, I do not claim to be a know all - I have certainly not seen or opened up car engine - but have seen and tinkered with plenty of heavy vehicle engines).

Couple of links:-
Crankshaft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crankcase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HowStuffWorks "Basic Engine Parts"
Old 27th October 2009, 23:34   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Yeah - he told me he can't open it, but he did tell me that through some way (and I am really dumb in these matters) that the sprocket is worn out.

It is the crankshaft not the camshaft. He then showed me another crankshaft in the workshop and the sprocket and that there is a play that does not allow the sprocket to turn exactly in sync with the shaft - this is what I understood.

In any case I am trying out what you suggested and will let you know

Thanks for your invaluable advice
This is even more weird. I am assuming you are talking about the sprocket that drives a chain(which in turn drives the camshaft). Wearing out cannot happen over night. It is acceptable if there is a tooth breakage in which case you should hear lots of loud thuds(slippage) from your engine.

Also check the exhaust note at idle. Is it continuous?

Is there any smoke while idling?

It also looks pretty similar to loss of pressure buildup(guide vane failure) at the torque converter. In which case climbing up a steep slope should be jerky.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:37   #55
BHPian

@ SirAlec: Engine starts in one crank in cold and hot mode. However I hear multiple sounds from under the hood - 2 sounds, each at a different hum frequency. This is probably the second time I have opened the hood of this car in 60,000km. Our driver says he cannot make out the difference.

@arunmur: No dark smoke. Uphill movement is not jerky but as if there is not enough torque to pull.

Got an estimate today. Other than labor (for which they have budgeted Rs 5000) the total parts estimate is about Rs 10,723 (including taxes). Base crankshaft price is at Rs 7214.83
Old 31st October 2009, 09:48   #56
BANNED

If the vehicle is drivable, take it to a different workshop.
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

^^^

get a second opinion.

I guess Bangalore has many tbhpians and some of them use hyundais who would be happy to help you. PM them.
Old 5th November 2009, 08:08   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^^

get a second opinion.

I guess Bangalore has many tbhpians and some of them use hyundais who would be happy to help you. PM them.
Thanks for your inputs SirAlec:

Given that we are heavily in need of the car and we missed the one chance to show to another mechanic - I am getting it serviced from Trident Hyundai. Will update you when I see the older crankshaft.

Cheers,
Old 13th November 2009, 11:59   #59

Hi All,
I wish to share my experience (which was mostly horrible) with my Hyundai Santro XO. I apologize in advance if this is not the right thread (still learning :-)).

I bought a Santro Xing (Dec 1996 model, registered in Jan 1997) from Trident Hyundai, Bangalore. Plus the 3rd and 4th year extended warranty (very helpful).

Problem #1:
Odo: ~3500KM (April 2007)
The engine developed rattling noise whenever running (idling, cruising etc). I took it to the service centre and they said the crankshaft has to be replaced. It took them two weeks to get the part from Chennai and deliver my car back.

Problem #2:
Odo: ~28000KM
There was some peculiar noise from the hydraulic pump, but not very loud and can easily be missed. The service centre checked it but did asked me not to worry as it is nothing

Problem #3:
Odo: ~33000KM
Engine rattling sound developed again. They first said it is the connecting rod bearing, but then they said its the crankshaft (again!). They took 1.5 weeks to repalce (here is where the 3rd and 4th year extended warranty helped)

Problem #4:
Odo: ~33500KM
Heavy sound from the engine (especially when I turning the steering) - the hydraulic pump pulley and shaft went kaput. Again in the service centre for 4 days. Problem solved

Problem #5:
Odo: ~34000KM
Peculiar noise when the AC compressor is running. The AC compressor pulley and shaft (as per the service centre engineer) was dying. He asked he would call as soon as the part arrives and replace it.

I could take it no more, so I decided to sell the car. The only I could have sold it to an individual for a decent price was to not to mention the above history to the buyer. But, I did not want to gain by cheating someone who may be buying his/her first car. I visited the Trident showroom I had bought the car from, they gave me a good deal (may be 10-15K) less than the market rate, but I am satisified as they know all the problems that happened.

I am awaiting my Swift Dzire VDI (any day now) :-)

Just thought of sharing my experience on Santro.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:33   #60

My apologies, the model and registration was 2006/2007, not 1996/97. Sincere apologies for the typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdoshi View Post
Hi All,
I wish to share my experience (which was mostly horrible) with my Hyundai Santro XO. I apologize in advance if this is not the right thread (still learning :-)).

I bought a Santro Xing (Dec 1996 model, registered in Jan 1997) from Trident Hyundai, Bangalore. Plus the 3rd and 4th year extended warranty (very helpful).

Problem #1:
Odo: ~3500KM (April 2007)
The engine developed rattling noise whenever running (idling, cruising etc). I took it to the service centre and they said the crankshaft has to be replaced. It took them two weeks to get the part from Chennai and deliver my car back.

Problem #2:
Odo: ~28000KM
There was some peculiar noise from the hydraulic pump, but not very loud and can easily be missed. The service centre checked it but did asked me not to worry as it is nothing

Problem #3:
Odo: ~33000KM
Engine rattling sound developed again. They first said it is the connecting rod bearing, but then they said its the crankshaft (again!). They took 1.5 weeks to repalce (here is where the 3rd and 4th year extended warranty helped)

Problem #4:
Odo: ~33500KM
Heavy sound from the engine (especially when I turning the steering) - the hydraulic pump pulley and shaft went kaput. Again in the service centre for 4 days. Problem solved

Problem #5:
Odo: ~34000KM
Peculiar noise when the AC compressor is running. The AC compressor pulley and shaft (as per the service centre engineer) was dying. He asked he would call as soon as the part arrives and replace it.

I could take it no more, so I decided to sell the car. The only I could have sold it to an individual for a decent price was to not to mention the above history to the buyer. But, I did not want to gain by cheating someone who may be buying his/her first car. I visited the Trident showroom I had bought the car from, they gave me a good deal (may be 10-15K) less than the market rate, but I am satisified as they know all the problems that happened.

I am awaiting my Swift Dzire VDI (any day now) :-)

Just thought of sharing my experience on Santro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks