Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2007, 14:05   #46
Team-BHP Support

I have made an album with my car pictures here . Will update part 2 of the review tomorrow .
Old 21st May 2007, 17:57   #47
BHPian

your tomato looks good kiran,when are you planning to sell it to me?
but seriously guys his tomato is in the very nice condition,it is fast and smooth,after driving his car i decided to change my 1.2.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:08   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
your tomato looks good kiran,when are you planning to sell it to me?
but seriously guys his tomato is in the very nice condition,it is fast and smooth,after driving his car i decided to change my 1.2.
Tomato is what you call it. I recently got 10kmpl on 40% highway driving with A/C when I was racing a Honda City 1.5 Exi on my return trip from Bombay. Had fun making him chase me, letting him go and again beating day lights out of his car. Finally got a thumbs up from him . Was a nice feeling altogether.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:23   #49
BHPian

i was sleeping at that time god knows
Old 21st May 2007, 18:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Tomato is what you call it. I recently got 10kmpl on 40% highway driving with A/C when I was racing a Honda City 1.5 Exi on my return trip from Bombay. Had fun making him chase me, letting him go and again beating day lights out of his car. Finally got a thumbs up from him . Was a nice feeling altogether.
moral, you forgot to mention the way you almost squeezed that innova into the left shoulder while going to say hi to your city friend
But, that was some awesome spirited driving in the night. Fun.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:45   #51
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Spirited Driving at night on Expressway
Old 21st May 2007, 18:46   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
... I'd say these telephone alloys on the Palio do look hot when in motion, infact they are much better than the S10's alloys.
I agree .. the S10 alloys look too "plain" IMO.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:48   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Awesome Spirited Driving at night on Expressway
Spirited but careful .. I was on moral's case all the way to "watch out" ..
Old 21st May 2007, 18:51   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
moral, you forgot to mention the way you almost squeezed that innova into the left shoulder while going to say hi to your city friend
But, that was some awesome spirited driving in the night. Fun.
Ohh yes that was eventful. I pulled over to let the City guy go since I was getting kicks to go behind his case everytime I saw him and it was not a good thing to do when you have the responsibility of somebody's life in your car. Finally while passing the food mall closer to Pune I saw him parked so thought of pulling over and saying hi to him but in the excitement was about to crash into the Innova. Sorry etch, I was reckless that time.

I agree spirited driving should have been kept for the day but nevertheless it was fun.
Old 21st May 2007, 19:47   #55
Team-BHP Support

I will list out a slightly unusual repair work carried out on the car. At around 10,300 kms I heard a very loud metallic noise from the engine bay. I thought it was some major engine issue which has come up and was very very depressed. Decided to add engine oil additive to check if the noise vanishes. Add a can of Bardahl in the engine but no use. Took the car to B.U. Bhandari to get it rectified. They pointed that it was from the timing belt and they will need to inspect and replace whatever they find bad. The car is still luckily under warranty and they ensured that it will be honoured. I had also got myself a can of Mobil 1 since I had crossed approx. 10,600 kms when I went to get the problem rectified:

Here is when Mobil 1 went into the car:

Original Lancia Fiat oil filter (not the Purolator or the one from Fiat India):

Brilliant lubrication:

Now replacing any of the belt components on this car is tad difficult to work on due to a cramped engine bay. I have documented the entire process they followed:

Opened belt cover:

This is the phoning bearing which is at the bottom and requires some serious strength to open and I think a size 21" wrench:

Another view:

The phoning bearing also has the RPM sensor to it.

On the left you see the timing belt tensioner which had gone kaput and needed replacement:

Another view:

Now if you read part # 1 of the report, you'll notice that Jay-Vijay claimed to have replaced the part in warranty but did not replace the timing belt tensioner. They replaced the part that you see in the right which is the AC belt bearing. These parts are imported and cost roughly Rs. 1600/- and Rs. 1200/- I think.

The A/c belt bearing again:

The timing belt tensioner bearing again:

Now before they touch any of the above mentioned parts, they lock your cams and the crank with special tools. Here is a picture of the cams locked:

The internals:

This is the service standard followed, I haven't seen Maruti do this for the Zen nor Hyundai doing this for our Getz:

New belt tensioner bearing:

New A/C belt bearing:

Car being worked upon next to a Beetle and Mustang. My favourite pic:

Old 21st May 2007, 19:48   #56
Team-BHP Support

End result of Mobil 1. A very low engine load:

This is before Mobil 1 (Notice double load and higher idling):

I was only billed for oil filter and everything else was covered in warranty. Thanks for a nice service experience. They are thorough professionals for carrying out major work!

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st May 2007 at 19:52.
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Moralfibre,
One of the Best & detailed Reviews I came across on this forum! Cheers!

I envy all the owners of Palio 1.6!
The adrenaline and rush of blood I felt after a drove a 1.6 for the first time was just awesome!
And since then I am just dreaming of that 1.6 Sports Formula Red, but the saddening thought of parting with my Palio 1.2 put me off :(
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:26   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Moralfibre,
One of the Best & detailed Reviews I came across on this forum! Cheers!
Thanks finney. I am not good at writing although I click a lot of pictures out of focus and paste them here .
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:40   #59
Team-BHP Support

Nice review to see such a detailed service report. I need to start taking leave whenever I give my car for servicing as well.

The engine load might have been lower also because the air temperature reduced by 24C.
Old 22nd May 2007, 20:28   #60
BHPian

@ MoralFibre,
What a fantastic and truly passionate review! Seeing your love for the car makes me want to buy the stile 1.6 even more. (dare i say here, as against my other option - Swift Vxi ?! :-D )
Anyway - still waiting for this weekend when the dealer will supposedly be getting a demo car.
Thanks for all the info so far!
Let the romance continue . lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks