Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2021, 17:06   #1
BHPian

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)

Warm greetings, readers!

Holding synonymity with quality, comfort, luxury, and regality, Mercedes Benz has achieved a soft spot in the hearts of almost every enthusiast in the country. Here's my review of our Mercedes Benz C class.

[Note: This is my first review thread on this forum. Would like to thank members for their reviews which have been a great source of understanding towards the irrefutable quality maintained here. I have tried my best to live upto what would be worthy of this space.
Being 16, reviews I write are solely by my comparatively limited exposure to driving dynamics, and everything related to the performance of this car are inputs by my parents and my interpretations. Always open to suggestions and criticism, hope you enjoy.

All photographs are shot on a OnePlus 7T or iPhone 12 Pro - excuse the quality].

2017 Mercedes Benz C Class (C200 W205)

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210607-1.22.09-am.png

Points to like:

-Design, Mercedes has nailed it with scaling down the W222 S Class, on the inside, and the outside
-Fit and Finish, is top notch for the most part, everything looks, feels and sounds like out of a car worth this much.
-Enjoys a flat foot as much of a cruiser it is.
-Paddle shifters are standard across the range
-Front seats are supremely bolstered, and feature electrical adjustment and lumbar support
-The rear seat offers knee-room in abundance, and one can tuck their feet beneath the front seats too.
-Fantastic NVH levels inside the cabin
-Sense of occasion as expected from a Mercedes Benz is well looked after - sporting 3-colour ambient lighting, Amber back-lighting for switches, a satisfying “thud” in the way the doors shut, to name a few.
-Long hood and short boot are a good combination to the eye, making the silhouette rather sporty if I must add.
-Comfort, Sport, and Eco modes show no hesitation in living upto their names, -Individual mode is the icing on the cake.
-7G-Tronic Transmission is a fantastic companion to the 2.0L 181 hp Turbocharged Petrol Engine.
-City friendly dimensions add to its daily drive capability, ParkAssist is helpful too.
-Panoramic sunroof stretching all the way back complements the airiness offered by sizeable daylight openings and beige interiors.
(Note: Beige interiors are specific to all exterior colours except Silver.)
- Useful Multi Information Display (To be referred to as MID hereafter) featuring trip meters, speedometers in mph/kph, proximity sensor warnings, TPMS, and

Points to loathe:

-Poor overall rear seat comfort, lack of thigh support and low seating forces a knees up position.
-Rear A/C vents do an average job.
-Space saver spare tyre strapped onto the boot floor makes it a gamble between a spare wheel or an extra suitcase.
-Average In-Car Entertainment (To be referred to as ICE hereafter) - screen looks like an afterthought, and the bezels don’t work in favour either. Scrolling is clunky and delayed too.
-Omissions in the Indian C Class like the Larger ICE display, 3 Zone Air Conditioning, powered tailgate, memory seats, Burmester sound system, are discouraging.
(Furthermore, the cheaper CLA and GLA got memory seats)
-Rather obsolete instrumentation for a time where Audi sported a virtual cockpit in the A4.
-Average speaker system, very very disappointing for the price point.

“It all starts with a dream”

A three pointed star in one’s garage is quite a popular benchmark of achievement for the common man in India. My father is not an exception, and a Mercedes was on his checklist since as long as I can remember. That’s the thing about a Mercedes, you know, the form, substance, aura, and appeal set it apart from all other brands in rivalry, and it radiated its way into everyone’s hearts.

The summers of 2017 disguising in its warmth, brought to our home a wave of opportunity and enthusiasm, that instinctively triggered the rebirth of a passion, stronger than ever, to finally buy a Mercedes. It was when my father went for a meeting in his client’s brand new Mercedes E Class (V213). On returning, he got me to carry out some research on what options Mercedes had in the sub 40 Lakh range.

As surprised as I was, my excited 13 year old self hastily pulled open the laptop and got to work, in the brand new as well as pre-owned market (however, with more inclination toward brand new.)

Options considered:

Mercedes Benz GLA

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210606-4.37.37-pm.png

What we liked:

-Youthful interiors with turbine like vents and silver accents
-Rather peppy 2 Litre Turbo Petrol (same as the C Class)
-Memory seats
-Due for minor update later that year, therefore good discounts

What we loathed:

-Lacklustre design- too many bulges make it look like an A Class on steroids, takes away the elegance.
-Limited headroom and legroom in the rear seat dropped its worth.
-Small boot + spare tyre strapped on, rendered It useless
-Single zone climate control, and the buttons on the centre console were from older generation Mercs; an issue with all the Merc SUVs back then.
-Just didn’t feel as special as it could have been.

Image Source - Carwale

Mercedes Benz CLA:

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210606-4.44.31-pm.png

Another member of the A team, we were floored by the CLA’s looks for starters. Our initial dealership visit was for the sole purpose of finalising the CLA. On digging deep, here’s what I found:

What we liked:

-Styling; sporty, aggressive, yet balanced silhouette.
-Interiors complemented the exteriors.
-Pretty much similar to what the GLA’s likes were.

What we loathed:

-Strict no for chauffeur driven’s or family outings, in-fact dad hit his head while getting into the back, and the experience once in is nothing to write home about.
-Boot loading lip was high and narrow thanks to the taillamp design, and it opened to a small space saver laden boot.
-We are a family of four, so we didn’t want to compromise to this extent on the rear seat.

Image Source: indianautosblog

Mercedes Benz E Class (W212 Facelift)

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210606-4.47.24-pm.png

Given that the V213 E Class was the new kid on the block, we thought we could get hold of a good deal on old stock/Pre owned example of the W212 Facelift given that it’s a bigger car and more stately than any of the other considerations. But on seeing what it was like on the inside, spacious sure but everything felt a generation old, which it was, we struck it off, as the base of the interior was new when the W212 was first launched in the late 2000s.

Image Source : TeamBHP

Other options: The Jaguar XE was briefly spoken of, but that was about it, since dad was hell-bent on Mercedes since the start, the BMW and Audi rivals barely made it to our table.

How did the C Class enter our spectrum?

Underwhelmed by the GLA and CLA, and walking out of the showroom in vain, my dad’s eye was caught by a Dakota Brown C Class ready for delivery, and how! He requested the SA if he could have a look, and asked him for the price list too. It was a stretch by a few lakhs for a C200 Avant Garde, but it was announced that “if I’m buying a car now, it’s this or nothing.”

Excited, we booked a test drive for the following Sunday. The TD Car was a Palladium Silver C200. Dad took the wheel, with the SA in the passenger’s seat. Mom, my sister and I were at the back.
Quick observations :

- Cabin width was adequate for 3 of us at the back
-Ingress and egress wasn’t the easiest due to the low seating position.
-Thigh support was a shocker! Very very short seat squab
-However, the short squab made for a generous recline angle
-Three adjustable headrests were a good touch, so as were expanses of leather on all touchpoints on the door.
-Suspension was good for the most part, but the 17 inchers don’t do a job maybe as well as what 16s would do at insulating the sharper bumps.
-Low speed braking was noisy.

Next, the colour conflict:

Out of the palette available for the C Class, the Black, Brown, and Palladium Silver were unanimously ruled out. So was the Iridium Silver for the simple reason that it came with black interiors, which accented the walnut wood trims to a shade we didn’t like.

Remainders were Cavansite Blue and Polar White.

The blue, a great shade however, we found to make the car look smaller and bulkier especially with the darker wheels on the locally assembled C Class. Plus, white accented the black roof much better.

And on that note, we booked a Mercedes C Class C200 AvantGarde in Polar White.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Arnav612 : 7th June 2021 at 10:53.
Arnav612 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 00:08   #2
BHPian

re: German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)

Dealer Experience, Registration, and Delivery:

The dealer in question is Autohangar, Andheri West, Mumbai.
We settled at an on road price of approximately Rs. 47,25,000/- after professional discounts and miscellaneous sources. The dealers were prompt and everything flowed smoothly, from insurance, registration to final paperwork at delivery. Car cover, first aid kit and one microUSB and one lightning connector were part of the accessories.

The car was registered at the Andheri RTO on 7th July 2017, two days prior to delivery.
We opted for the number 5001, as our old Honda City which was also white, bore that number.

Delivery day started a little too early for me, I could barely sleep!
Went for a nice lunch and set out with the family.
We entered the showroom and out of the three cars covered, I recognised ours’ silhouette instantly, and since it was a surprise for my uncle, we decided to unveil the car first, after which paperwork was a breeze!
The showroom’s big screen flashed a personalised congratulatory message.

Lifting the wraps and being welcomed by a face with its intricate balance of poise and aggression was more than just a delivery for us. It was something that reached the heart and made it happy. Seeing the lines flowing to the back and concluding the car proportionately, resonated with the completion and contention we felt in our subconscious’.

A day where someone’s dream came true,
A day which unlocked new arenas and targets in the mind of an optimist.
A day where the curve in our smiles set things straight.
A day where along with the engine, a new journey came to life.

Rituals, customs, blessings and pleasantries completed. We drove off.

Careful, Mumbai! There’s a man in his new Mercedes out at large!

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-whatsapp-image-20210606-5.03.16-pm.jpeg
Arnav612 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 01:18   #3
BHPian

The Review

The Exteriors:

The W205 C Class is designed under Mercedes-Benz’s design language of Sensual Purity. The same design language can be seen in the S Class, as well as the E Class. The motive of this language is to impart a distinctive identity to each of their designs , yet shelter them under a common roof under which they are recognisable as Mercedes’.

This design language follows 6 main key postulates.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210603-11.50.49-pm.png

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210603-11.50.53-pm.png

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210603-11.50.57-pm.png

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210603-11.51.02-pm.png

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210603-11.51.07-pm.png

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210603-11.51.11-pm.png

Image source: Daimler Global Media Site

Now that was factual information, here’s my take on the design.

Beginning upfront, the AvantGarde grille borrowed from the more youthful offerings by Mercedes, with two lamellae bearing the large three pointed star, coupled with delicately designed headlights which are loosely replicated from the more stately S Class with Mercedes’ signature eyebrow DRLs, make a statement.

A statement so strong that you have no option apart from being impressed about how well modern luxury has been accentuated here with equal attention to both ends of the design spectrum ranging from elegance to aggression and sport.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210221_171817__01.jpg

The three individual air inlets down below, one being long and centrally placed, and two small ones on either side, complete each other’s shapes and add to an essence of irrefutable harmonisation.

The silver plates below to my best guess are to enhance the scrape withstanding capabilities of the front bumper.

If I would like something changed though, it would be the logo, I would like the gloss unit from the 2018 facelift better.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-918852.jpg

Reference image for the facelift grille.

Image Source: Daily Express

The headlight is an all LED setup which has a fair lateral throw to even double up as fog-lamps. The throw is rather excellent, I don’t really fiddle with the settings and choose to keep it in Auto, as we are not too well versed with the knob controller.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162133.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162156.jpg

The primary headlamp bulb automatically adjusts itself in angle and brightness for added safety, for you as well as the one you may have otherwise blinded. This is what the “Intelligent LED System” inscribed in the cluster is about.

Attaching an image from the darker hours of the evening during winters on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway for an idea on the throw out on the road.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-whatsapp-image-20210604-12.23.08-am.jpeg

The eyebrow like daytime running lights (hereafter referred to as DRLs) light up on unlocking the car - somehow only when it's in diffused sunlight or dark conditions. All in all quite a welcoming gesture, but nothing extraordinary given that its a common trait amidst cars in the segment and above.

The hood is nicely contoured, giving it an added essence of character and making it more emotive as a whole. The sloping hood also complemented by its sheer length aids visibility while driving as a whole, which has got to be a big up !

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210115_233244.jpg

A shot affirming the placement of the rain sensor and that for the automatic headlamp feature on the front windscreen.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162717.jpg

(The W212 E Class which we saw has a provision where even the sunroof closes if water is sensed on the windshield, not sure about this car though, would love it if someone could enlighten me on this)

Treading footsteps towards the side, and the first thing I appreciate is how perfectly the car has been concluded on both ends leaving no scope for scrutiny or anything amiss.

Getting into the details of the design, as I’ve mentioned before, the short boot and long hood have really done their job and how!
The A-line (term for first character line from top) is placed nice and low such that it balances out what otherwise would have been rather voluminous. This small touch really aided proportion and quirk at the same time, allowing it to drift away from stateliness to maintain its statement joining both poles of the spectrum ranging from elegance to aggression (let’s just refer to it as ‘the statement’, hereon)

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20201129_090136.jpg

My C Class wears 225/50 R17 Bridgestone Turanza rubber . Shame that we couldn’t get the 16 inch wheels that would improve ride quality by leaps and bounds. Anyways, the tyres are run-flats, again relief to some, shame to some. This does mean that you could probably leave your spare wheel behind for an extra suitcase, though.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165402.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161527.jpg

The alloy wheel design in this particular locally assembled example though, I am not a fan of. I find them too dark, sprayed in gunmetal, for a car this size, and I felt that the simpler silver 5 spoke wheels from the CBU units accentuated the length much better. Each spoke out of the 5 spokes look rather bulky to me, too.

What a thing the human eye is, sees something in its definitive form, but doesn’t let your mind see it as just that, and keeps altering the way it looks on perspective. This brings me to how the spokes on the wheels look like petals on a flower in some ways of vision, which I simply can’t stand on a car otherwise so prestigious .

No badging whatsoever on either side, keeping it simple.

In the thread opened for when the car had launched back in 2014, I remember reading umpteen number of posts regarding the strangely lifted stance the C had. Is it just me, or has the stance been altered over time? because I find the stance this car has absolutely jaw-dropping. A little on the lower side, in fact.

It looks extremely proportionate too with its height, and even the gap between the wheels and wheel arches look well filled.

The shapes of the daylight opening remain similar to the W204.

Closer look at the door handles to find that there is no keyless entry- shame!

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161448.jpg

Weirdly uneven gap in the handle. It's not too easy to catch the eye but once it does, it really doesn't stop bothering you.

On the underside of the driver’s side door handle though, there is a keyhole for when the remote key runs out of battery. Attaching images of what the key and keyhole look like.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161459.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_170058.jpg

The rear view mirrors strike a balance between form factor and function. They look good, they now have revised turn indicators and are quite a welcome size. The mirrors unfold on unlocking and fold on locking the car. They adjust whenever you slot the car into R.
The underside also has very very effective puddle lamps. I would have liked the belt line to be black, instead of chrome though.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161507.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161514.jpg

Newer cars project the Mercedes Benz logo onto the ground, adding an aesthetic value to the package.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-d5e77e38_3301_45dd_821d_4890859152ca_6012d026faf1d0ffaa8d48b1b2bf988e5b96bf6c.jpeg

Image Souce: MBWorld

Last edited by Arnav612 : 9th June 2021 at 13:20.
Arnav612 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 10:15   #4
BHPian

The rear is where I feel the S Class is replicated the most. From the shape of the tailgate to the design of the taillights, it all looks cleanly scaled down, and it’s working in favour. The lower end of the bumper gets some added black treatment to strike the balance that “the statement” boasts of.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20201119_115857.jpg

Fake exhaust tips are pretty typical of Mercedes by now to even complain about. The overall chrome treatment amplifying them though, imparts a perfect amount of bling required.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_170822.jpg

Parking sensors are found on both front and rear bumpers.
Also find the nice character line running through the tow hook cover, these touches really make the design much more expressive.

The actual exhaust pipes are a twin setup on the left side. They are found on looking really hard.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165445.jpg

The taillights are again, all LED units. Two oblong strips act as DRLs to pair up with the front, and also light up on unlocking the car. Turn indicator and reverse lights are neatly placed at the bottom of the cluster.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_215049.jpg

Badging is minimal, with only the Mercedes logo and “C200” on the top left corner.

The roof is all black, and boy, oh boy ! It looks fantastic on white! The glass stretches to the back of the roof, the front division being larger. Great touch to enhance the sense of space complementing the beige interiors.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-whatsapp-image-20210609-11.28.54-pm.jpeg

On that note, let’s step inside.

Last edited by Arnav612 : 9th June 2021 at 23:31.
Arnav612 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 11:16   #5
BHPian

The Interiors

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162354.jpg

I’m pretty sure that the exteriors have already left a preconceived idea about how the interiors must be to suit the stature of the car. Before we get into it, let me quote Mercedes designers on their take on the C Class’ interiors.

“The theme of this interior is a combination of the typical Mercedes-Benz sports car interiors, and the floating vertical and very elegant middle console.”

Does this not amplify, “the statement”, that I’ve been talking about?

The interior is a fantastic blend of wood, leather and brushed metal- the three things in my opinion, that make fantastic interiors. Everything you touch feels built to last, like any Mercedes would. The design, is evidently made to help cater to ones looking for the more youthful sedan, just as much as it is for ones looking for regality out of their hard earned money.

For example, the three central vents are something derived from sportier cars like the A Class and the CLA, although the design is different. But, the flowing slab of polished walnut brown wood is for the more elegant pole of the spectrum. The entire slab is lined with gloss piano black, so are the button housings on it. Touches like the analogue clock with the Mercedes logo add an essence of old school to the cabin. All in all, the wooden centre console looks fantastic, and is filled up cleanly, unlike the array of buttons in the previous generation of Mercs.

The space freed up by the gear selector moving to the steering wheel has been used to widen the swivel wheel to control the COMAND system.

Atop the swivel wheel is a beautifully shaped touchpad where you can swipe into menus, tap to confirm inputs, and write characters in a few places. Shortcut buttons “return”, “home” and “favourites” are also fed into the touchpad. This entire space is in piano black lined by beautifully brushed metal.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162952.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163000.jpg

On the right of the swivel wheel, you’ll find buttons for the rear sun-blind and power button for the ICE screen. There’s also a very well thought out volume control which you merely have to scroll. Works well and prevents you from taking your eyes off the road.
[Small miss: There is no volume level displayed anywhere]

The left side sees a similar scroller for the dynamic select feature. Underneath which there’s a button for turning off parking sensors and a button to activate the Eco Start/Stop function.

All these buttons are hard press buttons, though they don’t feel rough to use in any way.

Underneath the A/C vents is the thin strip for A/C controls. They are clearly taken from the S Class, and it sure is working well. The buttons have a nice texture atop them- highlights attention to detail here.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163050.jpg

The central button says “Menu” on pressing which a graphical A/C controller opens up on the screen, where you may choose to use the swivel wheel to control. It’s pretty much useless, you’d rather use the buttons and get it done in no time.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163238.jpg

Dual Zone Climate control only, though, unlike the CBU units which got Three Zones.

Keep coming down for another minimalistic set of shortcut buttons for the ICE, and the CD changer. Centrally placed is the clock I spoke about above. Great touch, the shortcut buttons, that too added so minimally.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_214718.jpg

At the surface of utmost curvature of the slab, you’ll find a closable storage compartment. Push down on it, and firstly, how gently it opens is also a little idea of how sophisticated everything must be. It reveals two cup holders, an ash try and cigarette lighter. Good place to keep your key/phone et cetera.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163024.jpg

The screen placement though hasn’t been received well, it really looks like an afterthought. A housing for it like in the V213 E Class would have enhanced the level of completion the cabin exhibits.
Even if I were to forgive Mercedes for the screen placement, I sure as hell can’t forgive them for the bezels. They look AWFUL! Such an emotive and expressive cabin has been disrupted by just this one thing single handedly for me. To top it off, it’s an uneven bezel- thicker breadthwise and thinner lengthwise, and the gloss black makes the small screen look even smaller.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163252.jpg

In continuity to the centre console is the centre armrest/storage bin. Wrapped in the same beige leather as the seat and divided with the centre console by a thin strip of brushed aluminium, it makes for a very useful piece of comfort for both the front seat occupants. The armrest is divided through the middle where on pushing the release switch, both the flaps open, into a rather accommodating storage space. Inside which, there’s two USB ports and one SD Card reader.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_215231.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162416.jpg

The flaps are smartly lined with silicone so that you can charge your phone and also close the box, while allowing your cable to come out of the box while it’s shut.

Moving to the driver’s side, this particular steering wheel design is not something I hold atop my preferences. It looks too bland in my opinion, although the metallic touch on the vertical spoke is a nice add on. The buttons on the right side of the wheel control the Infotainment and voice command and the right side arrows controls the MID as well as move up or down tracks.
I would have easily preferred the electric adjustment as in International markets.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_215007.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161146.jpg
The rather mediocre adjustment handle for the steering wheel- supports both reach and rake.

The stalk on the left is for wipers and indicators, and the one on the right is the gear selector. I find the gear selector pretty intuitive, and added convenience of not having to take your hand off the wheel could be considered an advantage.
Cruise control gets a dedicated stalk on the left side towards the bottom.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161105.jpgGerman Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161112.jpgGerman Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161123.jpg

Speaking of advantages, the biggest being that since the gear selector is no more a lever, Mercedes has to give paddle shifters across all variants !
The dials are analogue. The one on the right being the tachometer and left, the speedometer.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164343-2.jpg

The Multi Information Display is a sizeable 7 inch one at that, various menus attached below.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160621.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160644.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160634.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160658.jpg

My car doesn't have navigation though, so nothing really comes up.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160718.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160843.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160923.jpg

We have never used this Assistance graphic though, so I'd apologize for not having much to comment. Although I've heard it's related to the Attention Assist system, would love it if someone could throw light.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160950.jpg

Tyre pressures however only show up in KPa, not PSI.
Although I think it has been fixed in the 2018 facelift where both KPa and PSI are present.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160953.jpg

A nice touch is that they also show inputs from the front parking sensors on the top corners. The top centre shows the gear engaged, and an arrow next to them indicating which direction one must turn the stalk in order to engage that gear.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_215605.jpg

To the right of the steering wheel is the start/stop button, which is also removable based on preference or in the eventuality of your key having run out of battery. Clever touch, however this is the last C Class to get this option.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162300.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162248.jpg

Right under is the headlight control knob, scroll switch for the dimmer, and a button for the fog lamps. You’l also find a switch resembling one like the window switches, which is for the Parking Brake.

It’s not the most convenient to use, but you rarely have to use it as it automatically engages when you slot it into P, and de engages when you slot it into D and press the throttle.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162238.jpg

Name:  Screenshot 20210609 at 3.02.27 PM.png
Views: 11953
Size:  279.2 KB

Last edited by Arnav612 : 9th June 2021 at 15:04.
Arnav612 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 22:45   #6
BHPian

The driver side door uses all the materials used in the entire cabin, wood, brushed aluminium, soft touch plastics, and beige leather, all in just the right amounts. All touch-points have expanses of leather. The door handles feel tactile, as do the window switches. Clever usage of ambient lighting on the doors make it even more emotive and add a sense of occasion. All the switch gear - mirror adjusters, fold/unfold, electrical seat adjusters, window switches, door handles and window lock are made of brushed aluminium which reeks of supremacy in quality.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161300.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161320.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161226.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161333.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161312.jpg

Next to the rather well sized cubby holes, is another switch that resembles window switches, for the boot. It’s really really convenient to find. But, the hood release lever is just as hard to access.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162231.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161203.jpg

The pedals are well spaced out - dead pedal isn’t too prominent, but I could say that there’s enough space to find a comfortable position for your left foot.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161154.jpg

The front seats are supremely comfortable, and get electrically adjustable recline angles, height from base, and height of squab. There’s also an adjustable seat squab, lengthwise. Headrest can be adjusted in angle using the circular button on it. Lumbar support is a good touch, functions can be found in the user’s manual.

The seating position is nice and sporty. The view out is good too, the sloping and long hood really helps. Finding your position won't take much time. The steering wheel does feel a little on the larger side though.

The seats are well contoured, with adequate side bolsters.
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164816.jpg

Double stitching looks really classy, finer details that add to the experience.
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164806.jpg

Maximum Thigh Support
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164626.jpg

Minimum Thigh Support
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164631.jpg

Lumbar support switches- quality is consistent even here.
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162215.jpg

Note : These aren’t genuine leather seats, they are an artificial material known as ARTICO leather by Mercedes.

Moving to the passenger’s side, the door remains the same barring the extra switches the driver gets. The glove box is lockable and also opens as gently as the cup holders. Above the beige glove box runs a silver strip of metal dividing the beige glove box from the black soft touch plastic. Looks great in my opinion, expresses how Mercedes likes subtle contrasts.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163111.jpg

Plastics in the footwell also continue to impress with consistency in quality, and a netted storage pouch is a nifty touch too.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164641.jpg

Thankfully, the floor mats Mercedes gives are black, much much easier to maintain than the usual beige most dealers give.

The glovebox isn’t particularly large, but just about adequate. It’s lined in velvet and illuminated.
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_215158.jpg

The IRVM is auto dimming, of course.
Photos of the ambient and glare sensors are attached below.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162742.jpg

The IRVM is not the easiest to move around, it's rather bulky. I assume it's to be owed to the mechanism for the driver's and passenger's reading lights, as you can see.

The host of switches and buttons on the roof range from the regular interior lights to the sunroof. The sunroof uses only one switch which works based on the amount it is pressed/ works in steps ranging from opening only the glass covers to opening the entire front glass in one click. Pretty convenient, and is self explanatory, easy to grasp in the first time itself.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164511.jpg

There are clever two beams of light in the colour of the Ambient light you choose, and disperse it across the entire cabin, makes it look so so gorgeous!

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_215924.jpg

The interior lights look beautiful! They illuminate gradually, a second or two after the press. The LED bulbs look fantastically arranged in the central cluster.
There’s also an adequately sized sunglass holder, as expected.

The sunglass holder is smartly shaped on the inside to hold your glasses safely in place

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164518.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162915.jpg

Vanity mirrors are present under both sunshades and are illuminated.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_220917.jpg

Interesting design cue here, remember the A-line that was supposed to balance out the side profile of the car? It actually has been incorporated on the doors too to maintain harmony between the exterior and interior. Attaching a shot in support.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161546.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161604.jpg

Last edited by Arnav612 : 9th June 2021 at 14:17.
Old 8th June 2021, 14:40   #7
BHPian

A Mercedes Benz carries a stereotype of someone in a business suit stepping out of the rear seat in the lobby of a 5 Star Hotel. Does the C Class live upto deliver the comfort to convince prospective owners about the versatility?

On that note, let's step into the rear.

For starters, Ingress and egress aren’t the easiest, where you actually have to drop yourself into the seat after a point, given the low seating position. Although the scuff plates aren’t very broad, so there’s not much climbing over.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162517.jpg

Once seated, you’ll come to notice that it’s strictly what once would be an entry level luxury car. Seat comfort, material wise, is great. Not too firm, not too supple. Three Adjustable headrests are a great up on safety fronts too. Headroom is just about sufficient for me (height: 5’ 8”). Knee-room is nothing to complain about, it’s more than adequate for a car this size.

The recline angle is generous, however the thigh support is easily the most underwhelming bit.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162523.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162457.jpg

Scooped out front seatbacks work in favour and this picture is with me seated, and clicked without a wide angle. So kneeroom is not an issue at all.

Thanks to the Rear Wheel Drivetrain, the transmission tunnel grows a nasty hump in the floor, which also helps in strengthening the floor pan. Typical of the germans, though. It leaves the third passenger in a constant state of unrest, switching between footwells on either side.

Rear A/C vents are a part of the package, however, it’s a shame that there isn’t a separate zone for the rear passengers like the CBU units, and given that Audi and BMW are up there offering it. There is one common knob for both rear A/C vents. Beneath the A/C vents is a small storage compartment with a 12V charging socket. The storage compartment is actually the empty space left after the deletion of the 2 Pin adaptor socket.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162432.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162439.jpg

The rear windows get manual sun-blinds and the rear windscreen gets an electrically operated sun-blind (switch for which is found upfront next to the swivel wheel).
There are again, adequately sized storage bins which can accommodate one 1 litre bottles and other knick-knacks here and there.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162641.jpg

You’ll also find the aircraft like front seat pockets very very premium to use, being made of soft plastics on the outside, and with a satisfying pull to open as compared to rather average looking nets.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162503.jpg

Reading lights, coat hanger hooks and handlebars are on both sides.
The centre armrest is a good size too, and has an additional storage bin lined in felt. Two push-to-open cup holders are mounted on the front side of the armrest. These cupholders adjust in diameter in order to fit any size.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162550.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162559.jpg
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162608.jpg

The rear sunblind on the windscreen is minutely meshed so as to complete its purpose without hampering visibility in the rear view mirror.

All 3 passengers get 3 Point Seatbelts and there are easily visible ISOFIX child seat mounts, unlike some cars which hide them between the backrest and squab.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_162535.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164552.jpg

However, there is no controller for the sunblind that is within the reach of the rear passengers. It makes sense that it can be controlled by the driver incase there's no one in the car, but omitting a switch at the rear is a big miss.

Note : The V213 E Class gets it, so should the C Class then.
Arnav612 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 14:55   #8
BHPian

Safety.

Something I've noticed to be taken very very lightly in a lay person's checklist while buying a car. Things have to change, and I'm going to dedicate an entire section to safety features. Also to go a little bit off topic here, I bought two Kia Seltos before the crash test results were revealed, and I'm not saying I completely regret it, but we need to stop letting carmakers fleece us by a few gizmos and tech, and to also realise that safety is beyond just the number of airbags.

-Basics like ABS, ESP, and ISOFIX child seat mounts are present. Driver, Passenger, Driver Knee, Side and Curtain Airbags are present.

-Pedestrian safety kit like an Active Bonnet which reduces potential risk of injury to the pedestrian as well as the car in an unfortunate event of collision, by raising the height of the bonnet.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210608-2.46.05-pm.png

-All adjustable headrests to prevent neck serious neck injuries in an accident.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_170641.jpg

-ParkTronic Auto-Parking system is pretty accurate, having used it once in a tight parking spot in a basement.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210608-2.46.19-pm.png

-Pre-Safe system anticipates a critical situation where it closes all windows/sunroof, and adjusts the occupied seats and seat-belts into a position which could cope better with the accident.

-Attention Assist is present, which senses drowsy driving and recommends that you take a break.

-The body shell uses laser welding upfront for reinforcements to substantiate rigidity.

- The front side members are bolted to the axle and the engine mounts made of high-strength tensile steel. This directs most forces to the floor structure to avoid intrusion of an impact into the cabin.

-At the rear, graduated sheet metal thickness in the rear floor side provides specific characteristics for deformation during a rear impact.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-screenshot-20210608-2.48.33-pm.png

Source : Daimler Global Media Site & Mercedes Benz Official Website

Last edited by Arnav612 : 8th June 2021 at 14:58.
Arnav612 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 16:00   #9
BHPian

In-Car Entertainment

The C Class uses Mercedes' Standard Audio 20 system. It's available with an optional GARMIN Map Pilot quoted for 40,000 Rs. from the dealer.

The system comes with the basics like Bluetooth Connectivity, USB, FM/AM.
Navigation was surprisingly a paid option for 40 thousand extra, but we didn’t opt for it after hearing against the quality of the Garmin Map Pilot from fellow owners, and chose to live with Google Maps.

The system also comes with web browsing abilities using the hotspot from your smartphone. But it’s quite a cumbersome process.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img20181102wa0094.jpeg

The graphics however are pretty intricate and of good fluidity. The C Class replicated on your screen, and the engine graphics and likewise are well detailed. The screen in its physicality remains the largest downside of the entire system.

Given below are the various screens and menus on the screen

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163219.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163228.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163238.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163252.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163304.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163315.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163412.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163421.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163442.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163455.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163505.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163510.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163514.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163529.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163538.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163543.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163552.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163558.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163606.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163613.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163631.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163708.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163714.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163720.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163732.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163738.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163942.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164134.jpg

The system comes coupled with the basic Mercedes speakers system, not the Burmesters which were deleted in the final Indian spec C Class. No matter what reason they may give for this deletion, I don’t think they have any reason for the level of inferiority the standard setup exhibits. I was happier with Honda’s speaker system in my 4th gen City to be honest. The bass limits out really quick even after equaliser retouches.

Stay absolutely clear of high volumes on bassy numbers, cause that’s also where the speakers start cracking. The system also loses out on the metallic covers that the Burmesters got, and are regular black meshed circular units with a silver lining.

However, let’s get to the speaker placements. There is one speaker on each door, two subwoofers on the rear parcel tray, one speaker on either A pillar, and two woofers behind the dashboard. A total of 10 speakers is quite a healthy number, and they really could have made something of it.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2021 at 10:57. Reason: As requested
Arnav612 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 16:31   #10
BHPian

Speaker placements as shown below:

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161428.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165223.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_161829.jpg

The round units on the front doors are replicated at the rear.

Now, before we get under the hood. Let's take a look at The Boot.

The boot is a capacious 480 litres, but the spare wheel laden floor is a dimwit. It's a one touch open on either pressing the button underneath the chrome strip above the number plate, the switch in the cabin, or via the key.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165051.jpg

The loading aperture is slightly compromised due to the protruding parcel tray and the levers to tumble down the rear seat.

The entire opening is lined with rubber so that you don't damage both your luggage as well as the car.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165026.jpg

The struts to hold the boot in place are wrapped in plastic.
The entire tailgate is packed on the inner side- no exposed bits. The boot gets illumination on the inside and what I think is an emergency reflector on the inner side of the tailgate

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165110.jpg

However, there's this eyesore of an exposed surface on the upper surface of the boot.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165100.jpg

Nifty netted compartments on both sides of the boot are quite helpful. The spare wheel is hooked on, so it doesn't move around while the car is in motion.

Now underneath the boot floor, you'll be welcomed by foldable baskets, and a neat toolkit (with gloves too)! There's also one of the three fuse boxes protected under there, and boy it was heavy to lift the floor with the spare wheel and then click with the other hand

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_170257.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_170332.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_170319.jpg

Mercedes also gave a luggage net and a pair of neon jackets incase of an emergency.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_170507.jpg
Arnav612 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 23:49   #11
BHPian

Under The Hood

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165551.jpg

Finally, this part!

Accessibility:
The lever to pop open the hood as mentioned above, is rather hard to access.
The lock mechanism is slightly offset from the centre of the fascia, but what you will end up feeling is expanses of thick rubber lining, which brings me to the fact that insulation has been well looked after. The long hod is held in place by hydraulic struts on either side.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165537.jpg

The Heart : Specifications and Arrangement
The C Class in this petrol guise is powered by a 2.0L Turbo Petrol churning out 181 bhp of power and 300 Nm of Torque. The engine is an inline 4 unit.
This engine is mated to the 7G-TRONIC Plus Torque Converter (7 speed)

The engine bay is pretty spaced out. The engine itself is placed far behind the opening for what I think is a precaution in the event of an impact. The engine cover only has the three pointed star, no cheesy writings. The rest of the engine bay is covered for the most part - such as the only exposed bits of the battery is the jump start terminal. To access the battery, the black honeycombed cover has to be lifted. The underside of the bonnet has insulation in a shape corresponding to the exposed parts of the engine bay.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_165728.jpg

Some aesthetic badging
German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img20190404wa0110.jpg

The Drive:

Fire up the motor and the dials take a 360 sweep, typical! but so satisfying
On slotting the car into D, in Comfort mode you'll find how docile the acceleration is. It moves just as much as you want, and inputs are very predictable in response. You'd be happy to use this in start-stop traffic, and having cleared most of our highway trips in comfort, the wobbly movements are not too many since the centre of gravity is comparatively lower than the E Class and above - which reportedly do have prominent vertical movements at high speed in Comfort Mode. Kickdown accelerations leave the transmission at a bit of sea in Comfort mode, but by the time you realise it, it's back in place, and how! Power delivery remains linear and the gearbox then does its job like an angel.

The Eco mode dilutes acceleration by a marginal bit but the gearbox is pretty smooth to react on the flip side. Not relating to the drive, but air conditioning too takes a fair hit in this mode.

The steering wheel in both these modes are nice and light and are best suited for city usage.

Sport mode and Sport+ mode make you realise the amplification of "the statement" even in the drive. Slipping it into sport turns the C Class into a different animal altogether. It's ready to plunge at the slightest of throttle inputs, and the steering despite being electric weighs up nice and instils confidence. However, I found NVH to take a slight backseat in this mode, though the linear growl is nice and satisfying on input, but there's a constant growl whatsoever. It's not as quick or sporty as maybe a 3 Series, but it does everything you'd want out of a mixed bag of a car.

As I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, this is why the C Class is good with a flat foot as well as being a relaxed cruiser

The C Class ofcourse is a Rear Wheel Drive, but even more interestingly, the W205 was the first car to use Mercedes' Modular Rear Wheel Drive Architecture (MRA) platform. This platform is reportedly marginally lighter with the use of Aluminium in expanses throughout, and hence resulting in a weight decrease of close to a 100 kgs. The use of Aluminium with its high tensility also enhances rigidity while favouring agility.

NVH, Suspension, and Ride Quality

NVH on the whole in all modes or driving styles is fantastic. Everything that might be potentially noisy feels far far away from you, except maybe in sport mode as mentioned above, but that's also minor. None of the bits in the cabin vibrate a single bit, and only on the harder accelerations does a growl enough to put about a smile on your face, filter through.

Upfront, there's a 3 link setup with McPherson Struts, Torsion Beam and Coil Springs and the rear uses a Multi-link setup with Torsion Beam and Coil Springs. We don't get Air Suspension here, so the drive modes don't actually change suspension settings. The ride overall is decent, let me remind you that the lower centre of gravity alone imparts an amount of stability. The larger tyres are compensated for by the suspension system over the rougher stuff, and only the sharpest ones make their way in. However the ride does get choppy over longer sections of undulating roads thanks to the India specific stiffer suspension setup.
Although in catchy situations like uphill dirt roads, or any dirt roads which require constant throttle inputs, you do hear the tyres struggle a bit probably because of thin sidewalls.

Last edited by Arnav612 : 9th June 2021 at 12:18.
Old 9th June 2021, 00:13   #12
BHPian

Service, Niggles, and all things related

Just a disclaimer, I do acknowledge that cars get hit, dented and scratched here and there in a busy metro city like Mumbai. I'm not here to complain about it, but to enlighten about the way it was dealt with (by the company or a local workshop)

The service interval is 1 year/15,000 kms. To be very honest, my car hasn't even done 13,000 kms in all these years, so servicing with such hefty costs of roughly 25,000 INR every year for almost no running does seem to be a criminal burn, but I'm always of the opinion that a sparingly used car can give as many problems as a daily driver, for both tend to develop their own set of issues.

We have had our fair taste of this, which led to this belief.
In its initial ownership, in the first year or so, the car was really sparingly used. By November 2017, we found a peculiar stink coming from the A/C vents every time we turned on the car. We ignored it for a month or so until in the scorching heat while driving to Shirdi, the Air Conditioning became exceedingly ineffective- it didn't cease to work, but it just wasn't effective. The smell continued for prolonged periods.

On diagnosis by the service centre soon after, the A/C coil was infested with fungus which affected the airflow as well as radiated the odour. It was fixed instantly, FOC.

2018 touchwood was a niggle free year for the car, it only went for its scheduled service in July, where the Odo reading was barely 4,000 kms.

The beginning of 2019, the car unfortunately got hit at Atria mall to a wall, which dented the passenger side door. We decided impulsively to give it to the company ASC which charged us a total of 35,000 - a rip off, but the decision was made.

In May 2019, our parked car was dented and scratched on the rear bumper by a rickshaw trying a gutsy U turn. After a few pleasantries exchanged with him, since it was something that didn't need any exceptional expertise, we decided to give it to our local garage and got it fixed for 5,000 as compared to the 17-18,000 quoted by AutoHangar

In June 2019 on a dark road on one of the branches of the Western Express Highway, unable to spot a sharp bump and the car sped over it at about 80 kmph, causing a cut on the rim of the RFT. These RFTs really gave us a taste of how much of a pain they were, so fragile and then so expensive to replace. We chose to go with the same Bridgestone Turanza from Saifee Tyres- for which we paid 17,500 INR.

This was more serious a problem though. Dad started experiencing peculiar screeches from the steering wheel. There was no ill effect on how the steering turned, but the noise was concerning. After failing multiple diagnosis attempts, probably fixing a leak or so in the power steering pump, it was proclaimed that a big chunk of the system had to be changed, which if the car was not under warranty would cost close to 3,00,000 INR as it had to be imported. I'm gonna be honest and say that I'm not too sure about what part this was, whether it was the entire steering rack, or what, cause I was indulged in something else at that point.

Another tyre had to be changed in February 2021 due to an unknown cut in the rim again, and that's when we realised that Mercedes has now moved to cheaper Continentals as their OEMs instead of Bridgestone, the cost coming down to 15,000 INR.

Other than that, there haven't been any other major issues thankfully, and AutoHangar has been pretty co operative and helpful as a dealership. Kudos to them

Last edited by Arnav612 : 9th June 2021 at 00:17.
Arnav612 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 13:44   #13
BHPian

Other Points

- The C Class W205 got a facelift in 2018 which includes the new MBUX system with a larger infotainment screen, revised headlamp and taillamp clusters, and new wheels, new 1.5L Petrol engine for starters. The C300d AMG line (now discontinued) was the top spec trim.

- The W206 has been unveiled and is due for launch sometime this year. It retains its resemblance with the W223 S Class, also due for launch by the end of this month.

- The W205 misses out on a 360 degree camera, and the newer Mercs also don't show signs of having one (GLE300d for example.) However there is a 90 and 180 degree reverse camera with adaptive guidelines and sensors. We would have liked atleast a front camera.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160522.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_160532.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_164013.jpg

The camera is tucked away except when you switch the car into R.

-The spare wheel is ironically called a "Space saver" , and is a 135/30 R17 Continental tyre. Attaching a picture of the car wearing it.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-whatsapp-image-20210609-1.29.10-pm.jpeg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-whatsapp-image-20210609-1.32.31-pm.jpeg

- The C200 and C220d got a 7G-TRONIC Plus gearbox, while the C250d got the 9G-TRONIC gearbox

-The sunroof has two parts- the rear counterpart being smaller. Thankfully the glass opens only adequately for air to pass and makes it uncomfortable for kids to stand and stuff- not that it makes a difference to those who have their head set on being irresponsible, but smaller opening might prevent people from standing out of the roof.

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163827.jpg

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-img_20210605_163904.jpg

- The Fuel tank is a 63 litre one at that, which I think is pretty adequate for a car this size, or maybe cause of our low running. The kitna deti hai (How much does it give) question is unpopular to ask apparently, for cars like these, but since it's a car at the end of the day, let's address that.

Average city runs don't score higher than a 6-7 kmpl. And with a heavy foot on the highway somewhere in early two digits is reasonable by this car's standards. Overall highway cruising has never fetched us more than 12-kmpl.

- You can find good examples of this very C Class pre facelift below the 30 lakh mark in the used market.

- The rear A/C vents are not too effective in cooling, often have to readjust the vents upfront to point adequately towards the back too.

- The C Class gets a warranty of 2 years/unlimited kms, after which one may purchase the Star package extended warranty,

- The brakes are very noisy at low speeds since day 1, even the test drive car had this issue. After complaints and attempts at resolving, it still stands at square 1 till today. Overall bite is good, and predictable.

- Sore misses like andoid auto/apple carplay might be bothersome, but trust me, coupled with this system you wouldn't want to use it in the first place. However it had been resolved in the 2018 facelift with the better infotainment screen.

- The voice command system mysteriously works only for navigation inputs, and a dialogue affirming that the car doesn't have navigation shows up every time you press the button !

- The 0-100 sprint is claimed at 7.7 seconds which is QUICK!

- The air conditioning needs to be kept at an optimum of fan speed 4-5 and <22 degrees for PROPER bone chill cooling upfront, rear remains an issue.

- The rear windscreen has fair visibility, can't be relied on due to the sloping stature of the body.

- The ParkTronic system tends to accelerate the car a little too fast, so you can always keep a foot on the brake - however, touching the steering wheel deactivates it.

- Practicality (except the boot) scores full marks - all the cubby holes and bottle holders are well usable.

- Bottom end scraping is an issue :( , but the underbody is well cladded and protected.

- The key fob is the same one that's been on since over a decade. Not that it's bad by any means, it still looks classy. However , finally, it had been updated in the 2018 guise.

- The TPMS tops up immediately and has been rather accurate till date, never had a bug or glitch like we do popularly on the Seltos.

- Aside from the nasty gap on the driver's door handle, not a single uneven panel gap, and paint quality is top notch - no orange peel effect at all. A few swirls are visible on my car cause it's due for a polish.

Last edited by Arnav612 : 9th June 2021 at 23:55.
Arnav612 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 15:12   #14
BHPian

Conclusion:

I'm really really happy with the C Class despite its niggles. Sure it isn't as wild an animal as the 3 Series, or maybe doesn't have the tech like the A4, but I think it puts up as a fantastic all rounder. The design turns heads even today because of the way it blends the traditional old school stateliness with adequate youthful appeal to suit its size. The interiors feel special all over again everytime I sit.
It has imperfections, but that's something every car does, and I do acknowledge them instead of defending. I'm really waiting for the W206, it takes the Mercedes experience to a whole new level. However, Mercedes has been getting their prices haywire, the new GLA costs as much as how much we got the C for just 4 years ago. That aside, to conclude, all I wanna say is that it's really something that can put about a smile on your face, as a driver, or as a passenger.

Here's the parting shot, Cheers!

German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)-whatsapp-image-20210609-3.12.08-pm.jpeg
Arnav612 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 07:52   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: German Grandeur | My Mercedes-Benz C200 (W205)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Detailed like an Official Review! What a way to start off your Team-BHP innings. Going to our homepage today .
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed