Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 10:12   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I also found out that HM-mitsu stock 2 different types of tail lamps. One is from Stanley Thailand costing Rs. 3,200 and other is from Depo India which costs Rs. 1,800. The Depo one was visibly of lower quality than the Stanley. My car was already running Stanley's and since the old one was not completely broken I decided to stick on with it and wait for another 2 wheeler to finish off the lamp before changing.
vid, sorry to hear of the 2 wheeler banging your car. So, HM has started storing the Depo lamps, is it ? Probably, they were losing too many customers (I had got my taillight changed outside with Depo because the HM part was more than twice expensive - they had quoted 4000 for the OEM part).
As for the Depo quality, I would guess Stanley parts would be of higher quality (esp from Stanley Japan), but the Depo tail lamp I have, looks pretty fine compared to the Stanley one I still have ... So, was interested to hear your views on what kind of quality difference you observed ?
BTW, insurance will only pay half for plastic parts...

oh, just read that you skipped changing the taillamp due to hair-line crack. I have also a similar tail lamp :-) Had put some araldite into the crack, and its holding over 3+ years...

Last edited by lancer_rit : 12th May 2009 at 10:20.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:00   #167
Team-BHP Support

The main difference was in the overall finish of the lamp. The plastics were better finished in the Stanley compared to the Depo. The reverse lamp and indicator white portion were poorly finished from the inside and you could make out some uneveness in the plastic finish especially around the edges. Finally I decided not to go for it since it was looking different between left and right when they fitted it on.

Araldite is a good idea to prevent the water from seeping in. Will do that as well.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The main difference was in the overall finish of the lamp. The plastics were better finished in the Stanley compared to the Depo. The reverse lamp and indicator white portion were poorly finished from the inside and you could make out some uneveness in the plastic finish especially around the edges. Finally I decided not to go for it since it was looking different between left and right when they fitted it on.

Araldite is a good idea to prevent the water from seeping in. Will do that as well.
Well, yes and also it prevents the crack from expanding with jerks and vibrations.

For the Depo vs Stanley, thanks for the update. I only saw the Depo lamp fitted, so couldn't get a view of the back side plumbing. Maybe, it also varies with taillamp design/ manufacture lot - atleast in my car, the Stanley and Dep tail lamps look same. Will check it again.
Old 12th May 2009, 15:03   #169
Team-BHP Support

The sparkplugs which I posted in the earlier page were changed in at 57,000kms. So the car ran 2 years and 25,000kms with those plugs.
Old 14th May 2009, 00:24   #170
Senior - BHPian

My car is just over 6 years old, and has done 61.5k. Off late, I find a bit of judder/some vibration, when if I keep the clutch pedal briefly half depressed at very low speeds (like braking and then picking up at 10kmph in 2nd gear). If I am able to press the accelerator pedal more, there is a smooth re-engaging of gear.

IIRC, vid6639 changed his clutch plate etc @60k service. It seems like I need to get similar work on my Lancer.

Hoping for advice on the same...
Old 14th May 2009, 10:53   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
First thing was to check the compression in each cylinder to ensure nothing went wrong later after the flush. Compression numbers were really weird like 100psi. Decided to check with Sideways why the numbers were so low. He asked me if the fuel pump was disconnected which I had no clue had to be done. He explained that since the fuel pump was on, fuel was getting injected into the cylinder but since there was no spark it was resulting in petrol wash thereby giving wrong compression figures. The solution was to disconnect the fuel pump then measure the compression. The fuel pump wiring is situated below the lancer's rear seat and is very easy to disconnect.

After the fuel pump disconnected the compression numbers were 150-145-135-130psi.
Argggggggggggggg am an absolute fool! i completely forgot about this when the iKON fiasco at Metro happened! No wonder the compression was weird!!

Quote:
Also I was surprised that the motor got dirty so quickly. It was cleaned at the last service at Lathangi in jan feb time. This could be due to the fact that the K&N stock replacement lets in a little more dust than the OE filter. Need to clean the filter again tomo as car has done 8000km without filter cleaning.
8000 kms is good enough time to clean, but if what you say is true "more dust let in by K&N" i would stay away from that filter. I somehow dont think its K&N, rather the delayed cleaning of K&N, for indian conditions i suggest 5k kms clean, even if the filter is made of the best available stuff in world!

Quote:
The sparkplugs which I posted in the earlier page were changed in at 57,000kms. So the car ran 2 years and 25,000kms with those plugs.
Just realized you did a flush job also, so some amount of carbon deposit would have come out. I have a feeling the workshop never cleaned the plugs also, in between. Change plugs at 20 k kms for best results.

If you really want to check, open the plug and check now. If the plugs are ok then nothing to worry.

ps: i never noticed this thread for long time and hence a late reply
Old 19th May 2009, 11:46   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
My car is just over 6 years old, and has done 61.5k. Off late, I find a bit of judder/some vibration, when if I keep the clutch pedal briefly half depressed at very low speeds (like braking and then picking up at 10kmph in 2nd gear). If I am able to press the accelerator pedal more, there is a smooth re-engaging of gear.

IIRC, vid6639 changed his clutch plate etc @60k service. It seems like I need to get similar work on my Lancer.

Hoping for advice on the same...
Get the clutch bled completely. Change the clutch fluid and gearbox oil. If there is still shudder, then you may need to replace clutch. In which case make sure you get the exedy clutch.

Make sure you don't get the play in the gears adjusted. This will screw it up even further and is only a quick fix.

Also, check the spark plugs. As you can see, I had forgotten to get them changed on time.
Old 28th July 2009, 10:08   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get the clutch bled completely. Change the clutch fluid and gearbox oil. If there is still shudder, then you may need to replace clutch. In which case make sure you get the exedy clutch.
Getting close to my next service timewise (about ~64K km).
vid, do you use the exedy clutch ? What's the main advantage for this clutch over the OEM one ? I am not sure SM A.S.S. (ASC) will do this, or ?

Anyways, will first go for the clutch bleeding/fluid change.

Thanks,
Old 28th July 2009, 11:44   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Getting close to my next service timewise (about ~64K km).
vid, do you use the exedy clutch ? What's the main advantage for this clutch over the OEM one ? I am not sure SM A.S.S. (ASC) will do this, or ?

Anyways, will first go for the clutch bleeding/fluid change.

Thanks,
Well I don't know which clutch I have. At the time of replacement I did not have knowledge of multiple clutch vendors. Only later did I find out.

The other clutch vendor I believe is Ceekay.

AFAIK, there's no difference in design of clutch but the quality of Exedy is much better. I think one of the OE vendors for the clutch is Exedy-Daikin. Just look at the clutch with Indiagarage to find out the vendor.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:52   #175
BHPian

@lancer_rit: I changed my lancer's clutch at 88K on the odo. the earlier clutch was ceekay and i replaced it with a exeddy. the pickup of the car is much cleaner now. however i still find a bit of a shudder in the low speed situation you have described. need to get the clutch bled.

I too believe exeddy is of better quality than ceekay. However i do not have any more details on the part number. Ask for A stock repalcemetn exeddy clutch for the lancer

please post you comments post the change.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:25   #176
Senior - BHPian

ok, got it. If and when I replace the clutch, will insist on Exedy-Daikin.

Might go for service in this weekend - will keep this thread updated.
Old 1st August 2009, 12:31   #177
Senior - BHPian

Dropped the car for 70k service (~64k). Asked ASC to bleed the clutch, change clutch fluids and gear oil. Let's see how it comes out ...

BTW, pretty empty ASC/India Garage for a Saturday. Almost all Logans have disappeared. So, for a change, you can actually park, stand, camp whatever in the ASC area.
Old 1st August 2009, 23:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Initial impression after service

Along with the 70k service, I followed vid's advice and asked the A.S.S. to bleed the clutch, and change the clutch fluids and gear oil.
Drove ~9km after picking up the car in the evening - and felt a big improvement (no judder). Of course, the engine's running smoother with the oil and filters changed as well - so there maybe more than 1 factor.

I'll observe for some days to make sure of the improvement (keeping fingers crossed that the remedy really worked).
Thanks vid.

BTW, I learnt that HM/Mitsu has, for the first time, recommended use of synthetic engine oil for servicing as an option in place of the mineral oil. I was shown the HM official communication, and here are the particulars:

* Motul 5W/50 synthetic oil @ Rs. 1050/l
* Replace interval recommendation doubled -> 1yr/20k km from 0.5yr/10k for mineral oil.

As it happened, after asking the last several times, I hadn't asked ASC whether they can use synthetic :-( So, came to know after mineral was replaced.

Hope this info is useful.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 1st August 2009 at 23:19.
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:52   #179

Rear suspenion problem

A year back I have replaced all the suspensions and the front fore-arm, it was fine for a few months. But for the last couple of months the rear suspension or something related to it is not right, there is quite a bit of noise.

When I got the car serviced last time (couple of months back) from India Garage I asked them to fix the problem, instead of fixing it they made it even worse.

I am really tired of India Garage service, every time I get the car serviced I need to visit them at least couple of times after that, because something is broken or not working correctly. Not sure if this is just bad luck or these guys are careless or my car is become too old.

Can someone suggest a better option than India Garage, if at all there is one ...
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:51   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW, I learnt that HM/Mitsu has, for the first time, recommended use of synthetic engine oil for servicing as an option in place of the mineral oil. I was shown the HM official communication, and here are the particulars:

* Motul 5W/50 synthetic oil @ Rs. 1050/l
* Replace interval recommendation doubled -> 1yr/20k km from 0.5yr/10k for mineral oil.

As it happened, after asking the last several times, I hadn't asked ASC whether they can use synthetic :-( So, came to know after mineral was replaced.

Hope this info is useful.
Finally, they agreed that synthetic oil works on the car. I had a hell of a time last year convincing them to put in the OWS 5W50. They kept insisting that no testing has been done with synthetic oil and the oil has never been tested or approved by HM or Mitsu. Anyways good to know that synthetic is an option for the Lancer and I'm guessing Cedia owners also have the choice now.

Harshas, can you send me a PM with your number and I'll forward it to a person I know. He may be able to help.

Most Viewed