Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2007, 19:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Vid, I own a sienna and at one point of time even I was in your same state that is exactly 2 years back. Whether to sell it and buy a new car ? I analysed and came to know that
  • Car has depreciated to 18% after 6 years and 80000 kms of the Total price I had paid for her in 2000.
  • The car has been maintained well so getting her in good shape wasnt a problem.
  • To buy a new car I may have to shell out another 8 lacs to get a good car.
  • At that point I thought of my priority , Whether its an excuse just to change the car.....
Anyway in the end I kept the car, Now she has done more that 1,30,000Kms . Thats around 50000 in two years...... I feel I made the right choice .
Old 7th May 2007, 19:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

vid, I just bought a 2000 Lancer that I plan to restore.
That tell u what i feel about the car?
Old 7th May 2007, 19:46   #33
Team-BHP Support

Sideways, elf,

thanks a lot for your inputs.

Elf, I plan to stick with the HM guys only for the same reason of not spoiling my service history.

They refuse to change any aftermarket parts not even the engine oil so will go with the OE clutch.

Sideways, as correctly pointed out by you they also suspect the slave cylinder to be the problem. they will check the clutch and slave cylinder and let me know. by the way what does the slave cylinder do? I'm guessing along with master cylinder it is responsible for the hydraulic actuation?

The suspension will be retorqued. They also found some problem in the front wheel bearing and will replace the same.

The clutch assembly costs i.e. clutch plate and pressure plate costs Rs.6500 whereas the release bearing Rs.2000. The slave cylinder costs Rs.3500.

The gearbox will not be touched as it is absolutely fine.

mileage should go up once all this is done and I need to check that.

Ricky, seems there is no bush kit in the gear box. or its a load of bull from HM guys.

Injectors should not require cleaning as I use shell only and add bardahl octane booster which also supposedly cleans the injectors.

HOEC BARDAHL INDIA LTD.

will keep everyone updated. car will not be sold now. yippeeeeee.
Old 7th May 2007, 23:14   #34
Team-BHP Support

vidyut get the car completely serviced and replace all rubber suspension parts, this will give you the taught feeling back.

check clutch and that should clear up the gear issue.

clean throttle body and injectors (if reqd) along with the air filter, replace fuel filter.

does lancer have hydrolic tappets, if so make sure they are working fine if its not hydrolic set the valve clearance.

PUT SOME MOBIL 1 after flushing, this is required and is truly worth it, irrespective of driver or owner driving. And you can always get it done outside if HM cant do.

Last but not the least, clean and blead brakes.

Get a 3 M job!! Selling or no selling all this should put a smile back on your face

7 years, 60k kms deserves this indulgence though it might cost you some 15k.

Enjoy your drive,
Jaggu

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th May 2007 at 23:18.
Old 7th May 2007, 23:25   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
vidyut get the car completely serviced and replace all rubber suspension parts, this will give you the taught feeling back.
suspension only retorquing can be done as they replace the rubber bushes only during an overhaul which is 20,000kms away.

Quote:
clean throttle body and injectors (if reqd) along with the air filter, replace fuel filter.
they say not reqd to clean throttle body/injectors, god knows how true it is. air filter is K&N stock replacement need to clean that. fule filter changed damn thing costs Rs.2200!!!!

Quote:
does lancer have hydrolic tappets, if so make sure they are working fine if its not hydrolic set the valve clearance.
not sure about this. will ask tomorrow or sideways may help.

Quote:
PUT SOME MOBIL 1 after flushing, this is required and is truly worth it, irrespective of driver or owner driving.
ah my quest for mobil1 last service was a failure as i dint find a shop till recently rudra told. plus the HM guys refused to put in any other oil. will do it next service.

Quote:
Last but not the least, clean and blead brakes.
done a month back

Quote:
Get a 3 M job!! Selling or no selling all this should put a smile back on your face
my car's already 3M protected. Rudra and me also have the same 3M polish to apply by hand.

thanks jaggu. right now just hoping she feels good after the clutch overhaul.
Old 7th May 2007, 23:32   #36
Team-BHP Support

see if you are ready to spend some moolah on refurbishing i suggest you go ahead and advance the suspension overhaul job, rubber parts cant live for 7 years in our climate. its age wrt time is showing up not the kms.

mobil 1 and throttle body get it done outside, just get pycho onto this and ask him not to touch anything else!!!

so as sideways will be posting in the next reply get the tappets set too, make sure they do it when cold and this again can be done at psych's

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th May 2007 at 23:37. Reason: :p
Old 7th May 2007, 23:35   #37
BHPian

no hydraulic tappets on the 4G15
Old 7th May 2007, 23:41   #38
BHPian

i dunno much about lancers except that i noticed, the moment someone mentioned ageing lancer, elf popped up
Old 8th May 2007, 01:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Sooner or later you are gonna come up to me and say..
"Goddy... I should have taken your advise... I should have gone for the Mivec...and that time i am gonna whack your head against the first wall i see.. ..something like that..

Godfather
Old 8th May 2007, 08:16   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
"Goddy... I should have taken your advise... I should have gone for the Mivec...and that time i am gonna whack your head against the first wall i see.. ..something like that..

Godfather

patience goddy patience. all in good time.
Old 8th May 2007, 10:31   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

Godfather
ROTFLMFAO

Vid keep us updated on the outcome
Old 8th May 2007, 14:41   #42
Team-BHP Support

update:

Got a call from HM guys. the problem was with the clutch as per them and not the slave cylinder.

They have replaced the clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing.

They found some small noise during the TD yesterday which they attribute to the wheel bearings. those will also be changed.

The brake pads are worn and the discs are also worn. both will be changed.

They say there are no rubber bushes in the lancer suspension!!!lol!!!

Car will be given tomorrow or day after.
Old 8th May 2007, 17:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ricky, seems there is no bush kit in the gear box. or its a load of bull from HM guys.

@ Vid

The bush kit is for the gear shift stick & not the gear box, pardon me if I could not get it accross correctly

Cheers
Old 8th May 2007, 19:29   #44
Team-BHP Support

huh no rubber bushes? ok say that its steel bushes used in suspension with rubber internals!! Again what about front strut kit, lower arm, stabilizer bar?? or is all that also not there??? and doesnt lancer have a cable shift for gears??
Old 9th May 2007, 18:13   #45
Team-BHP Support

so what happened here??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks