Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2021, 18:15   #1
BHPian

My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review

My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L TDi AT

My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-mtpchc1800069263_01.jpg
Courtesy - Mumbai Police

What I like
  • Solidly Built, both in and out; 4 years up and still no rattles.
  • Timeless design, facelift has taken it to another level.
  • DSG gear shifts are still the best in the segment.
  • Level of customisation and upgrades are insane; Don't like it? Simply replace it.
  • A driver's car; responsive engine, go-kart like sitting, good visibility and sorted dynamics.
  • 6-years Warranty (4+2), 9 years RSA (4+5) and support from Mr. Zac Hollis.
  • Anti-pinch and one touch up-down functionality for all 4 windows. After Kushaq launch this is something to write here.
  • 55 litre fuel tank capacity + Acceptable FE = Amazing Range on highways.
  • Noise and vibration are good, actually great when you experience an engine running from outside and then settle in.

What I dislike
  • Infamous DQ200 known for mechatronics failure.
  • Interiors have started showing its age.
  • Seats lack lumbar support.
  • Stock headlights are pathetic and till now Skoda has failed to provide any solution. IDK why Skoda is being stingy and not introducing HID for variants with projector headlight, when the headlight itself has dedicated space for ballast.
  • Few parts are exorbitantly priced; Front headlight costs ~₹35,000 each and taillight are ₹4,700 each. I am not sure, but even 16" Clubber Alloys cost a bomb.
  • Only 1 12V socket in the whole car. Sorry rear passengers you are uninvited, we offer average legroom and no source to charge your devices.
  • Under full load, the rear of the car gets bouncy even at 20 kmph less than legal speeds.
  • Unrefined engine, anyone can guess it's a diesel car (or tractor?) passing by.
  • Due to the rev limiter in neutral, the PUC machine is unable to record any values.

Background

Back in 2017, we were left with only one car (Tata Tiago) in the garage after selling our 5-year old Tata Manza. For the initial 4 months we never missed having one car, but with age grandparents and sister taking Tiago for college runs we needed a car that can handle medical emergency runs.

Requirements :-
  • Should match the feature list with Tiago
  • Needs to be diesel
  • Wanted car with performance. It was high time for dad to experience how good cars can be.
  • Sedan preferred
  • Build Quality was something none of us wanted to compromise on. Hey, you live once, right?
  • After owning unreliable Tata Manza, peace of mind was necessary

Shortlisted :-
  1. VW Ameo 1.5L TDi Highline AT - Fits our budget and ticks all our requirements. AT wasn't really required but then no harm in trying. It was ruled out due to our ambiguity related to build quality and no underbody engine protection.
  2. Honda City 1.5 i-dtec - Good car but top variants were exceeding our budget.
  3. Skoda Rapid - Ticks most boxes but overlooked reliability. More on this later.
  4. 4. VW Vento 1.5L TDi AT - Same as Rapid but I still wasn't able to digest it costing nearly 2 lakhs more than Rapid.

Dilemma :-

Reliability was indeed something we wanted hence we made an exception to TD Skoda Rapid 1.6L MPi AT. A no nonsense car, torque converter will anyday be more reliable than DSG, and an engine which have no injector issues like 1.5L TDi.
But a TD and message to BHPian RavenAvi and BHPian VKumar changed our thoughts. During TD we could manage a single digit FE which was hard to digest and BHPian RavenAvi said, "If it's Skoda Rapid, it has to be Diesel + DSG combo". So, it was decided that we will be booking a Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L TDi AT. Believe me when I say, my uncle who purchased Rapid in Petrol+AT combo regrets his purchase and is soon selling his car (Reason? You guessed it right, performance and FE).
Choosing paint shade was easy, 3:1 votes for Cappuccino Beige.

Booking Experience

We chose to book with Autobahn as the JMD dealership was far. Did TD 4 times and the SA was firm on ₹1,00,000 cash discount, but at the time of booking, we managed to get a floor lamination as a freebie. After booking, the delivery date was extended indefinitely, reason being car not being in stock and dealership being unaware of when the car will be shipped by Skoda. As if Autobahn were not aware before taking the booking. Fortunately, it worked in our favour as we got a freshly manufactured MY18 Skoda Rapid. At time of delivery there was no cake cutting, no ribbons and no big key handover. An abysmal experience and goes well with Autobahn's bad reputation.

4-Years Experience Summarised

Exteriors :-

I just prefer looking at Rapid all day long, to me even Polo looks S-E-X-Y. Though it doesn’t stand out from the crowd, but a design that offends no-one.
Back in 2017, we did manage to see all 3 variants and I must say that those expensive projector headlamps and addition of black elements on all lamps (headlamps, tail-lamps and fog-lamps) enhance the looks contributing to ‘premium’ feel.

MY18 had 3 more features over MY17 :-
  1. 16” Clubber Alloys (Tyre Specs were 195/55 R16)
  2. Soft opening boot button a.k.a. electromagnetic boot release button
  3. Reverse Camera

It has been a wise decision by purchasing MY18 for ₹40,000 more. Alloys have vastly improved the side looks. Reverse camera is handy and best I have experienced till date (wide angle + resolution).
Even with just 157mm Ground Clearance on offer, and short wheelbase it manages to clear most of the rough patches without touching it’s belly. We have managed to scrap a few times, but need to give to Skoda for providing a rough road package, there has been no major damage. Tyre Pressure as per the OEM and the sticker on fuel lid states 38 PSI, but people at ASC says to keep at 30 PSI, found midway and I keep it at 33 PSI.

That is Parking Light in action, DRLs are even more brighter at night times. Where Vento looks classy, Rapid is more towards sporty looks. BTW each headlamp costs ~₹38K.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7295.jpeg

Side Profile is rather simple, aiding in timeless design (?). Can see Clubber R16 alloys fitted with upgraded 205/55 R16 (stock size is 195/55 R16).
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7296.jpeg

I honestly used to hate the rear end of the pre-facelifted Rapid, but facelift getting revised bumper design and fitting gimmicky rear diffuser, has made me like it's rear. Rear Diffuser has helped to protect and hide scare done by 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7294.jpeg

Other side picture. Unable to source 205/50 R16 due to ban, but even under full load 55 section tyres have never scrapped or touched wheel well/arch.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7297.jpeg

Last edited by GautamJ : 3rd October 2021 at 20:36.
GautamJ is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:12   #2
BHPian

re: My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review

Interiors :-

My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7298.jpeg

Have a look at the dashboard
Looks Familiar?
Confused with which car you are sitting in, assuming the steering wheel is covered?
What? You have seen this design 10 years back?
Indeed, it’s O-L-D and VW/Skoda has done pretty much nothing except to degrade the quality, shuffling colour scheme, newer versions of RCD (HU) and steering wheel.
We have travelled to the worst of roads, met many unexpected potholes at highway speed yet there has been no rattling. Fit and finish are again amazing, no uneven gaps and built that is to last (remember I was coming from Tata).
Rubber beadings which are the main culprit behind door rattles (can be solved), but I want to highlight how well it performed during flooding scenario. Where cars like WagonR, i20 and A-Star had water seep into the cabin, whereas our car and Innova escaped with not a single drop of water. For better evaluation, water levels were slightly above half the tyre of Rapid. Fortunately, this time we were in Himachal Pradesh with Rapid so no worries with god gifted public pool.
AC Performance has exceeded our expectations and we have N-E-V-E-R experienced this kind of cooling in any of our cars till date, it even beats our Ford EcoSport which is said to be a bone-chiller. Adding to this we got front two side windows replaced with OEM ‘Dark Green’ Window Glasses, it helps during night drives by cutting glare from ORVMs.

Bird-eye view of the center console. Center Armrest is one of the best in terms of ergonomics, but as experienced by many owners the armrest lock is very delicate, though in 4+ years never faced this issue. Can see Auto-Dimming and RCD 340 in action. Roofliner is of good quality, made concealing dashcam wire a pain.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7299.jpeg

Only co-driver side sunshade has a mirror, it is small and aesthetics wise not good looking. Airbag instruction sticker can be seen.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7311.jpeg

Auto-dimming IRVM is a need more than want. It turns green to prevent glare and area covered is adequate, though the reverse parking aids (reverse sensor and reverse camera) is much needed IMHO.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7312.jpeg

Headlight rotary control, pull once for front fog lights, twice for switching on rear fog lights. Can see front footwell illumination in action.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7307.jpeg

Driver controls for windows (all windows are one-touch up and have anti-pinch) and car lock controls. For safety reasons, car is never locked from inside; front doors can be opened by pulling the lever once, for rear doors pulling action is twice. Fuel lid locking is connected with the car's central locking. Front door pockets can hold bottles up to 1.5L easily.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7308.jpeg

Rear Seat with Skoda pillows (pillows are of really good quality). Looks spacious only in pics. The infamous tall transmission tunnel helps rear passengers not to kick each other
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7301.jpeg

The car just has only one 12V socket, resolved by adding the car charger extension. Rear passengers can at max try to fit only 600ml bottles in the rear door pockets and dedicated space behind the front center armrest.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7303.jpeg

Boot Capacity usability is up to the specs of 460 litres. 14" Spare Tyre with tools well packed in styrofoam.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7304.jpeg

Powertrain :-
I have yet to meet an owner who is not impressed with this 1.5L TDi and 7-Speed Dry Clutch DQ200 combo. I won’t express much as it’s been extensively covered in various 1.5 TDi + DSG threads.
In one word, I will say it to be G-R-E-A-T. It is fast, revs to 5000 rpm easily when demanded and 7 forward gears ensures ‘kitna deti hai’ factor. Some bitter remarks for DSG :-
  • Downshifts are slow, one needs to plan overtakes. Shifting to Sports Mode or Tiptronic does solve the issue.
  • D2 => D1 downshift without foot on gas pedal is jerky.
  • A couple of times I notice GB to be confused. There have been instances where GB dropped one gear, but the very next moment it further dropped two more gears.
  • GB is stubborn to shift to D1 and picks the car from standstill in D2 itself.
  • Due to hyper active nature of upshifting, it lugs engine. D7 at 73 kmph or D4 at 25-30 kmph.

Note: Note: All precautions were undertaken, do not imitate the same!

Ride and Handling :-
No two ways about suspensions being on a stiffer side, but that is what contributes to confidence aspiring handling. In 4 years we are used to the ride quality now, except the bouncy rear under full load.
Handling is always predictable and upgrading to 205 section tyres improved it further, but it loses on to the light steering, a bit more weight and feel will do wonders.
Braking is just okay and at high speeds (over legal speeds) they do not inspire confidence. But after brake pad replacement at ~28,000 km and few VCDS tweaks (ABS and ESP modules) braking is strong. I haven’t done any high speed runs thereafter, hence cannot comment, but within the speed limits it’s definitely reassuring.

Last edited by GautamJ : 4th October 2021 at 02:11.
GautamJ is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:14   #3
BHPian

Service

Let’s address the elephant in the room. As we had taken an AMC package which forced us to service our car only at Autobahn we were left with no mercy. Till now we have never incurred any service cost so yet to conclude how expensive this german is to maintain. But on reverse calculations, it translates to ₹16,000 (₹64,000 for AMC which includes 4 services and wear and tear parts).
Experience with Autobahn Goregaon was below average and my car used to be gifted by ugly memories (at least one scratch per visit). Autobahn in Kurla was good, but it was shut down, which meant to travel to Sewri. Visiting Autobahn Sewri was a big relief and thought everything is settling properly into place, but then after a year or so news of Skoda ending an association with Autobahn popped up. Having a service left on AMC, I mailed Mr. Zac and he assured me that all AMC packs/plans will be honoured, felt relaxed. Initially we had planned to get the car serviced soon as one never knows when they change the terms, but destiny was firm on maintaining annual service schedule. Bang! Due to an accident, plans got delayed. The last service of 4 years or 60,000 km was done at JMD under supervision of Autobahn so not really a great experience. Autobahn being Autobahn was adamant in replacing wear and tear parts, and the SA appointed by Autobahn had poor communication skills.
Experience with Skoda A.S.C. still seems to be a gamble but as our car proved to be reliable enough it’s not a problem to tolerate them once a year.

Mods
  1. Rear Diffuser from Monte Carlo/Edition X
  2. 4300K DHC LED for low beams. Osram Night Breaker Laser for high beams. 6500K Night Eye LED for fog lamps.
  3. Yellow tint on fog lights for compensating colour temperature. (Didn’t help much)
  4. OEM ‘Dark Green’ front side windows.
  5. Replacing RCD330 with RCD340. Special thanks to Nikhil Patel for sourcing, fitment and exchange helps.
  6. Switching to 205/55 R16 (Yokohama BlueEarth GT AE51). Wanted to settle with 205/50 R16 but due to tyre ban wasn’t able to source it.
  7. VCDS Tweaks, again thanks to Nikhil Patel.

Cornering fog lamps, which works up to the speed of 20 kmph. All front lights except indicators has been upgraded.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_7286.jpeg

Conclusion

We have been completely satisfied with our purchase, it has exceeded our expectations on nearly all grounds. It’s been reliable, our workhorse for interstate errands, rejuvenating dad’s experience and cocooning in a safe shell (expecting to be in line with VW Polo crash test report).
It has pampered us a lot resulting in not fearing from horror stories and AT is now more of a need rather than a want. Also, after tasting german it’s hard to find an upgrade plus with VAG killing it’s fantastic diesel engines, we will keep this beauty as long as we can, well afford it.

By the time thread goes live, I will be at Skoda ASC sipping coffee and getting wheel sensor replaced for third time . Adieu till next.
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review-img_6330.jpeg

(Apology Note: Due to the tight schedule and unavailability of the car during the day, I was forced to experiment new method of shooting pictures for this thread at night. Thanks for the read.)

Last edited by GautamJ : 4th October 2021 at 01:32.
GautamJ is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 04:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 08:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L Diesel DSG Ownership Review

Great thread!

You don't get such cars in the C2 segment anymore. I surely miss the diesel and often regret for not jumping at the chance of buying one when diesel was still on sale in 2019.

I have said this a few times already in this forum,- rapid has been among the safest, most fun to drive, fastest(TDI) and best looking car in the c2 sedan space. And it's the only reason my brother still breathes after having a head on collision with a lorry at 70 kmph. Not even a scratch on him, touch wood! The cat served amazingly well for 1.75 lakh km.

Wishing you a long long ownership with this car. And please don't sell it.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 08:44   #6
BHPian

Have to say that the Mumbai Police Intro pic got me chuckling!

Honestly, this car has been so well kept that it is tough to say that it is from 2017, I would have thought it was something more recent if I didn't know. I'm especially a fan of the headlight setup even though the pricing will definitely burn a hole in your pocket.

Us VAG owners always say that these car age well and this could not have been more true especially with the new launches of next-gen models. I thought the newer models would be the replacement for my Vento but if anything it has made me appreciate my car more.

Wishing you many more happy miles with this beast!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 09:07   #7
BHPian

Rapid has always been our favourite in our family outings. In the early phase of VW in India, a close relative of me got himself equipped with one of the first Vento's of Kerala. In the mean time, we got our Linea 1.3 MJD. We all loved the car so much that in the first 4 years of its ownership it munched so much miles. But after the 1.75 lakh Km mark, it started to have its own issues. Many of its sensors went for a roll. And the Service experience was also not confidence inspiring.
He loved the car so much that he replaced it with The Skoda Rapid 1.5 Diesel Manual with the same heart as that of our Vento. And it has now covered about 1.2 Lakh Kms. Now as we are searching for a replacement for our classy bae, no car in the C2 segment gave as that much adrenaline rush that our rapid gave in its prime time. The SUVish market is silently killing the lovely sedans and we have lost many by now itself

Wishing You Many More Miles with The Beast
DevSunit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 11:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Great thread!
You don't get such cars in the C2 segment anymore. I surely miss the diesel and often regret for not jumping at the chance of buying one when diesel was still on sale in 2019.
Thank You! Indeed, it’s hard to find a car with a good Diesel engine mated to a good AT gearbox in this price range.
With BS6 norms and DPF issues, it seems I will need to stick to this lovely car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Have to say that the Mumbai Police Intro pic got me chuckling!

Wishing you many more happy miles with this beast!
So true, Mumbai Police have great capturing skills. Special thanks to ‘Pimp My Pride’, half yearly visits help maintaining the shine.
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSunit View Post
Rapid has always been our favourite in our family outings.
Wishing You Many More Miles with The Beast
We share quite similar story, my uncle upgraded from 2011 Fiat Linea Multijet to 2014 Skoda Rapid 1.6L TDi, after driving Fiat for ~1.8L km. His Skoda Rapid is now at 2.25 lakh kilometres and touchwood the car has been super reliable with no engine works. Even after 7 years of ownership he loves his Rapid a lot.
Thank You for the wishes.
GautamJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 15:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Everytime the mention of a VAG car with diesel + 1.5 DSG combo hits the forum, it brings back a feeling of deja vu

From your mod list, I personally prefer the RCD340 as one of the best investments, am speaking from my own experience of plonking it in my Vento.

Do keep us posted with regular updates!
Great to read your ownership review and wishing you many miles for a happy ownership.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 15:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
[*]Under full load, the rear of the car gets bouncy even at 20 kmph less than legal speeds.
Such a lovely car. Any day I would prefer a well proportioned sedan over these crossovers.

If budget is okay, upgrade your suspension to Bilstein B6 you will find it totally different even when it is fully loaded. It will totally transform the car.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 20:22   #11
BHPian

Great thread. No matter how many Rapid threads on this forum, I will read it all with a pride that I chose a wonderful car. Mine might not be a TDI (1.0 TSI) but it is still a hoot to drive. Especially on highways, where it just floats on water.

Quick question - Doesn't your headlight mod void your warranty? As much as I want to change the highlights, I do not want to void the 5.5 years of warranty left for my car.
sen2693 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 22:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
From your mod list, I personally prefer the RCD340 as one of the best investments, am speaking from my own experience of plonking it in my Vento.
Thank You! For sure will be regularly updating the thread.
I am a bit confused on RCD 340 purchase, as now even RCD 330 can run AA and AC with just a software update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
If budget is okay, upgrade your suspension to Bilstein B6 you will find it totally different even when it is fully loaded. It will totally transform the car.
Indeed, it’s well proportioned and still hasn’t got me bored with the car’s design.
I might not upgrade to Bilstein unless we buy a new family car. Also plan to try TRWs first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Quick question - Doesn't your headlight mod void your warranty? As much as I want to change the highlights, I do not want to void the 5.5 years of warranty left for my car.
Thank You!
With no wire cuts, warranty isn’t hampered. Earlier I had 55W 5500K HID fitted, and that grabbed eyeballs at ASC. They made me sign on paper stating it’s my responsibility and Skoda in no way will be held liable. Still, didn’t make any difference during warranty claims. My car too is under warranty till 2023.
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 13:03   #13

Interesting to hear the rear being bouncy. I haven't faced that problem in the last 7.5 years of ownership. Is that the case with newer models?
Old 5th October 2021, 14:11   #14
BHPian

Congratulations man and a very neat and short ownership review. The car has been maintained very well. I was mistaking it for a 2020 one but then realized that diesel was long gone by then.

Although I own a petrol TSI now, I loved the diesel more. Just like PrasannaDhana I also miss not buying the diesel one in 2019. I visited nearly all the showrooms in Bangalore during 2019. It was my US trip which led me to delay the decision and then corona happened. I just miss that chance of buying the TDI.

I love the understated looks that this beautiful sedan offers with the sturdy and elegant interiors. Yes I still love them to this day over heavy makeup things that have no driving dynamics & safety but still costs a bomb.

Quote:
Mods
  1. Rear Diffuser from Monte Carlo/Edition X
  2. 4300K DHC LED for low beams. Osram Night Breaker Laser for high beams. 6500K Night Eye LED for fog lamps.
  3. Yellow tint on fog lights for compensating colour temperature. (Didn’t help much)
  4. OEM ‘Dark Green’ front side windows.
  5. Replacing RCD330 with RCD340. Special thanks to Nikhil Patel for sourcing, fitment and exchange helps.
  6. Switching to 205/55 R16 (Yokohama BlueEarth GT AE51). Wanted to settle with 205/50 R16 but due to tyre ban wasn’t able to source it.
  7. VCDS Tweaks, again thanks to Nikhil Patel.
What about warranty after the DHC LED change ?

I have ordered Osram Premium HL LED for my fog lamps. Will install in a day or 2. Planning to replace the same with low beams projector as well.

Last edited by ankitsharma : 5th October 2021 at 14:14. Reason: Adding more info
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 14:23   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Superbly written review, Gautam. Succinct and to the point and very well summarised. Rated your thread a fully-deserved 5-stars!

In this segment, it was hard to find a better diesel AT combo than the Rapid. The lightning-fast shifter mated to that stonker of an engine ensured smiles galore in the entire ownership period. And, like you, I am really glad that all the notorious Skoda niggles/problems have stayed away from your lovely machine.

You and your family deserved a break from all the heartache your Tiago ownership was giving you. I am glad the Rapid stood up and has given you a fuss-free experience so far.

Wishing you plenty of happy (s)miles ahead. Keep your experience regularly updated in this thread and enjoy the blazer to the full!

Quote:
My Skoda Rapid Style 1.5L TDi AT

Courtesy - Mumbai Police
Thanks for reminding me of THAT incident!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th October 2021 at 14:26. Reason: added.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks