Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2007, 13:17   #1
BHPian

Chervolet Aveo 1.4 LS 1000 KM report

Friends,

This would be 1000 kms experience with my all new dashing Chevy Aveo 1.4 LS. Though kms arent enough but still it was required to share some facts about this car.

Buying Car:

Buying car was bit of confusing for me i already own a ALTO LX and Travera. So i was looking for a great car with all goodies and nice handling, drive. Fiesta, City and Aveo was in my list SX4 was a new entrant with new engine so could not made up mind on SX4.

fiesta was ruled out because petrol variant was not that good as aveo and city. City was too common and over priced with waiting period. Aveo was well priced with lot of goodies which other two didnt had at that price. Lookwise also Aveo is a headturner, it has good really good interiors as compared to city and fiesta. Same way external looks gives u a cute european car look that impressed me. I finally went ahead and booked car with sundaram motors. Good sales staff with customer friendly attitude. I got my car on promised time and delivery was smooth.

1000 KMs Experience:

In this section i would try to explain you about this car features.

This car is real good car for city drive( I didnt went for long drive yet). To my surprise this car dont take jerks unlike from NHC and fiesta in slow speed in 3-4-5 gear. You can drive is at speed of 15-20 in 4th gear or 5th gear too.

As i told you earlier Gear Shift and AC has been recitifed, Thats 100% true gear shift is now much better it is not notchy at all. AC is powerful and and competes fiesta and NHC ACs.

Pickup is good, engine refinement better then fiesta and NHC, Cabin is quite silent and its a problem for me . lot of times i get confused whethr engine is running or not.Best part is you dont have engine vibration also when your car is idle in start mode, usually u will get some vibration on steering and pedals so you can make it out in other cars..

Car interiors are really good, plastic quality is much better then rival cars. Good finish, style and design, Dashboard has good shape and toned looks .

Driver seat has got height adjustment so that is really helpful, Rear seats are comfortable, Good space for legs, its quite roomy and spacious, Boot space is really good.

Battery saver, Electronic diagonstic system, Emergency mode, Key reminder, Car door reminder, so many reminders i dont even remember there is good amount of end user technology has been incorporated in this car.

Power wise car is good @ 94 BHP. suspension is superb compared to fiesta and NHC. Its abosrbs shock and bumps nicely u wont even feel on that.

Mileage: Right now i am using IBP petrol special one name i do not remember sorry, but from next time onwards i will go for Shell. Currently i am getting 11 km mileage with 100% AC on. After first service i think i should get 13 approx thats my wild assumption .

ICE Details

Hu: Pioneer DEH-P5990IB
Amp: JBL 60.4
Front speakers: JBL comp GTO937
rear speakers: 507 GTO
Subwoofer: JBL 12"
Wiring etc: Monster

I have not kept OE speakers and HU, went for this ICE. Sound and clarity/Quality is amazing.

I have got teflon final coat done on my car, but i will go for wax treatment after my first service. Apart from car body cover i havent got any acc as car comes fully loaded with all required acc.

After first service i am planning to put keyless entry system, sun film and seat covers.

Now after talking all good good lets have some insight on bad part also.

Cons of Aveo:

Dashboard reflection : This is true to some extent but there is a solution for this. You have to adjust your driver seat to get rid of it. Though reflection is only between 3 to 5 in evening. other solution is using dark dashboard mats. anyway it is not that high reflectionso nothing t worry.

Loss of power when AC is on: This fact is true to some extent but only on slower speed. when you turn on ur ac some power lack u will feel if your car is slow, but anything above 45 speed you will not feel it. in short if your rpm is above 2000 it doesnt lack power when ac is on.

Legs touching dashborad: This is true but you need to adjust your seat correctly then it will not touch the dashboard. i am 6" i dont face any problem at all.

So friends that was my observation for this short tenure 3 weeks 1000 kms. Next report i will post at 5000 kms.

This is a real VFM car. hope this helps all car buyers who are looking for Aveo reviews.
Old 10th June 2007, 14:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice report Kamy!
If i could ask you some questions:
1. How is the rear seat legroom ? Can three sit comfortabely?
2. How is the engine refinement at high rpms.
3. How good/bad is the a/c
4. Does your knee touch the dashboard in the driver's seat.
5. How good is the ride quality, does it soak the potholes well?

Sorry for bombarding so many questions, but i feel its an interesting car, hence inquisitive.
Old 10th June 2007, 15:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Nice report Kamy!
If i could ask you some questions:
1. How is the rear seat legroom ? Can three sit comfortabely?
2. How is the engine refinement at high rpms.
3. How good/bad is the a/c
4. Does your knee touch the dashboard in the driver's seat.
5. How good is the ride quality, does it soak the potholes well?

Sorry for bombarding so many questions, but i feel its an interesting car, hence inquisitive.
Not a problem for your question we are here to share and help. here is your answer for posted queries.

1. Rear seat legroom is good. if i compare with fiesta or NHC then Aveo has better legroom please remember Aveo is spacious then both. Yes three person of average size and health can sit with great comfort.

2. Engine refinement at higher speeds is good no noise i tested it till 95 so far since car is new and i havent taken it on long drive till date.

3. AC is very effective since GM has modified it and increased it capacity earlier it was 1.2 now it is 1.3 it cools effectively with in 45 seconds.

4. No it doesnot Since aveo is much spacious in front side there is no chance, why this rumour spearded is becoz people does not Adjust seat position. In LS version is has got height adjustment too, I m 6" feet and i do not find any problem.

5. Ride quality is excellent in fact best in its category i would suggest u test drive and check it out.

please note i am mentioning all above points on 1.4 LS version. one more thing i spoke to few Aveo owners before i got this one out of 6 told me that he gets a bit noise when he crosses 120+ speed. But that was feedback from one chap rest all said refinement at higher speed is great and noiseless.

Over to forum now !!
Old 10th June 2007, 15:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

kamy, what a great report. perfect and to the point. i can feel how well you might be enjoying your car. what i loved about the aveo is the low NVH levels. its damn quiet in there and its a perfect drive which wont give you a headache like in other cars! cool!

dceite, lemme try for you

1. for 6 footers might be bit of an issue, but otherwise rear legroom is more than good. on the better side. and yes 3 can sit well.

4. my knee did touch the dash, but then if you pull back and sit at a different distance, then it wont.

5. ride quality is really good, potholes werent felt at all.
Old 10th June 2007, 15:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kamy...
Nice report. I bet u are loving the car. I almost bought this car if it wouldn't have been for their poor customer relations & attitude towards customers. The Maruti guys were better in marketing their product & attracting the customer with huge discounts while the GM guys were not even bothered which pissed me off..
Aveo has fantastic suspension for the Indian roads..
Old 10th June 2007, 15:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamy450 View Post
3. AC is very effective since GM has modified it and increased it capacity earlier it was 1.2 now it is 1.3 it cools effectively with in 45 seconds.
What is 1.2 & 1.3..?? Is it the size of compressor 120cc & 130cc....
Old 10th June 2007, 15:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Kamy...
Nice report. I bet u are loving the car. I almost bought this car if it wouldn't have been for their poor customer relations & attitude towards customers. The Maruti guys were better in marketing their product & attracting the customer with huge discounts while the GM guys were not even bothered which pissed me off..
I am sorry to hear about your experience with GM dealership. In fact to some extent i agree to you but it differs from dealership to dealership. while getting my car i was directly in touch with GM india manager so dealership was not that much in picture. but over all i had got a good feedback about gm dealers in bangy. But in your case you met an bad experience GM india has to do something in that area i guess.
Old 10th June 2007, 15:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
What is 1.2 & 1.3..?? Is it the size of compressor 120cc & 130cc....
@KPZEN it is metrice for measuring AC device in short it is called MT expanded to Metric ton.
Old 10th June 2007, 18:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamy450 View Post
@KPZEN it is metrice for measuring AC device in short it is called MT expanded to Metric ton.
Take it like this, a standard room AC is of 1.5 MT
Old 10th June 2007, 18:53   #10
BHPian

Nice review kamy. Very concise as Geek mentioned.

I've taken test drives of Aveo thrice and recently booked one. (1.4 base)

I must say the interiors/exteriors and fit n finish are class apart, much better than Fiesta/SX4 and almost same as Honda city.

NVH levels, space n mileage are good too! You should not expect more than 12kmpl from a class-C car, Honda city Exi being an exception.

Performance wise though, it may not be ahead of Fiesta 1.4/SX4 1.6 but it doesnot lag behind either. Initial pickup may not be greatest in this class but once it reaches its powerband(VGIS engine characteristcs), I find it more powerful than Fiesta.
When we compare it with Honda city Exi, obviously no car is as easy to drive as Honda city, but it seems more planted than Honda and is 1.15Lacs cheaper (Aveo base 6.15L on road n Honda city Exi 7.3L on road delhi) with 3yrs warranty as against normal 2yrs.

With recent gearshift changes and dealer/corporate discounts, I toofind it more VFM.
I sometime wonder can these magazines be believed?
Old 10th June 2007, 20:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcetech View Post
Nice review kamy. Very concise as Geek mentioned.

I've taken test drives of Aveo thrice and recently booked one. (1.4 base)

I must say the interiors/exteriors and fit n finish are class apart, much better than Fiesta/SX4 and almost same as Honda city.

NVH levels, space n mileage are good too! You should not expect more than 12kmpl from a class-C car, Honda city Exi being an exception.

With recent gearshift changes and dealer/corporate discounts, I toofind it more VFM.
I sometime wonder can these magazines be believed?
I agree to your views above however your views will be much more refined once you own it and drive it for a week same happened with me ....
Good luck!!
Old 11th June 2007, 00:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Kamy...
----------------------------------------------------------

Well i am surprsied that you mentioned GM customer care a negative factor bcoz thats one thing they have really worked upon atleast in Delhi.

Trust me, my Aveo is more than a year old and i find the customer care and service almost at par with Hyundai who i think are the best.

Infact i preferred Aveo over Fiesta at that time due to this reason which is a big advantage let me tell you.

Infact i will also share an instance where my car out of 1 year term had a flat tyre with a loud thud while crossing a big pothole at 60+ speed. I though something must have definitely gone wrong. I just called my dealer who was at a distance of about 2 kms+. They reached me in 10 minutes and changed my tyre and did not charge me either.

Touch wood i am satisfied on this front.
Old 11th June 2007, 00:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

My experience was with Regent Automobiles Near Haldirams on Mathura Road.
Where did u get the Aveo from??
Old 11th June 2007, 13:14   #14
BHPian

Onership after 1 month & 900kms

Well, bought this beauty on the 25th April. My dad's choice. i simply hated that car at that time due to GM's reppo. (Well i own a Opel Corsa too). Gosh!

Few initial days, i had some jittery feeling. But ater around 200kms, the car just behaves like knife through a butter.

Noise Levels are extremely negligible & interior are exuberant.

As for the initial acceleration, ya its slow of the blocks but today i raced a NHC ZX, Hyundai Verna Petrol & guess what i won, though they had good initial pick up.

The top speed no idea coz, still 1000kms not over. So, took it to about 120 odd.

The acceleration improves after the RPM crosses 1750.

Well my car is a bit of fuel guzzeler shelling me 10.2 kms/ltr. with full thrust a.c. That wud improve after first service.(Delhi's heat is unbearable).

As for the aircon, on full thrust at peak time of (12 noon-2 p.m) it can cool the whole car within 5 mins after the car is started from a hot-hot parking place.

There is a bit of stiffness in the gearshift which improves after the first 200kms or u kinda adjust to it.

All in all a nice package which i got for Rs. 6.30L from AUTOVIKAS, New Delhi.

After 2000kms a new review.
Old 11th June 2007, 13:50   #15
BHPian

Regent suks

Quote:
My experience was with Regent Automobiles Near Haldirams on Mathura Road.
Where did u get the Aveo from??
Hey sir,

Well i hv gotta share the same thing. When i purchased the Corsa in 2005, then too Regent Auto behaved as if they were kings & sales or no sales it didn't affect the & now in 2007 their attitude is same.

This way they ain'y making no sales & wud defintely lead to GM's decling rappo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks