Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2007, 11:58   #1

1.6 Ikon EXI 40K Review

Another newbie here posting an exciting journey lasting over two years in the josh machine! Upgrading from my 1997 vanilla esteem to the Ford Ikon 1.6 EXI was one the biggest automotive decisions ever, it was a whole week of TD's.

The journey begins in September 2004, where i decided that 7 years was long enough with the same car. Not that she did not serve me well, 1.3Lac KMS on she still worked beautifully, a few squeaks, groans, and rattles; She purred like a kitten though!

Started with a few phone calls to Advaith, Garuda, Fiat, & Cauvery. Must say that with the exception of Fiat, i had a good experience with the rest, very polite and responsive in arranging TD's and voila a week later i was the proud new owner of Panther Black 1.6 EXI Ikon.

Getting down to the facts now; OTR price was 6.3Lac and the dealer was kind enough to throw in leather upholstery in addition to the regular freebies. Started off on a bad note as the car suffered a coconut fall at the dealers place itself. However they were quick to get that rectified and a day later the roof brand new again.

I do a good mix of city/highway driving and hence would say that the car is well poised to handle both. And yes i do have a girl friend , that would explain a lot of the mileage that I've put on. I have had my share of car trouble but with a little persuasion & perseverance have managed to get all my troubles sorted out.

My Beast
- 1.6 EXI Panther Black
- Pioneer DEH-P5550MP
- Stock front speakers
- Pioneer 6x9 at the rear
- Pioneer 12" Sub
- Sony 222 Amp
- Everything else is stock

Postives
- Well powered and a very driveable
- Looks feline and well poised in stock condition
- Body noise & lines are simply simple & elegant
- Relatively low routine maintainance expenses
- Sure footed feel and crash resistance (TTP)
- Airconditioning quite effective
- IMHO definitely is VFM

Negatives
- Noisier cabin compared to others in its class
- Relatively poor braking
- Cant think of anything else (am really in love with this car)

Non Routine Parts Replaced
- Drive shaft - L & R (I complained about suspension rattle they replaced this under warranty)
- Steering column - (Could feel every bump on the road, so they said the play on that was too much, again under warranty)
- Front Fog Lamps (had moisture leakage, again warranty)

Routine Maintainance
- 6 scheduled services
- Only oil & other associated filters

This has been my journey so far, am contemplating moving in a few performance parts but thats on hold until July.

Cheers,
Sanjeev
Old 15th June 2007, 14:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanjeev View Post
- Sure footed feel and crash resistance (TTP)
Whats crash resistance??
Old 15th June 2007, 14:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

ssanjeev, i have the Flair version of the Ikon, and agree with the road noise part. Would have been good if it was a lill better insulated.

Go ahead and post some pics of your ride too. Whats the report without it?
Old 15th June 2007, 15:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sanjeev, nice review - good to see another 1.6 owner, we are, no doubt a dying breed (I'm an ex-owner though ). How much mileage have you covered so far?

As Benny mentioned, do post a few snaps.

Last edited by suman : 15th June 2007 at 15:25.
Old 15th June 2007, 17:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Whats crash resistance??
Hey Anshuman,

Have been involved in an accident with the IKON, where the car went through a steel barricade, though the front was totalled, all occupants inside were unscathed

Thanks to all the agencies who decide to dig up the road and leave no barriers/warnings

Cheers,
Sanjeev
Old 15th June 2007, 17:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
ssanjeev, i have the Flair version of the Ikon, and agree with the road noise part. Would have been good if it was a lill better insulated.

Go ahead and post some pics of your ride too. Whats the report without it?
I think some sound damping should do us real good in terms of reducing cabin noise. Am planning on getting it done for my car, will add on details once i am done with it .

Again, call it biased, but i think the car rocks, sometimes the sound of the exhaust is just right especially when u push the car above ~ 3.5 - 4K revs.. IMHO its more of a drivers car than anything else.

Cheers,
Sanjeev
Old 15th June 2007, 18:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, man. An Ikon looks good. And in black, it looks great. Pics please.

One thing I noticed with Ikons was that the front look was different between them. I mean 2 kinds of bumpers - one giving a sick look, while the other resembled a hissing python (I love that one). Is the bumper different for different trim levels ? Or how does it work ? The 1.6P gets one type, the 1.8D gets something else..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanjeev
with the exception of Fiat, i had a good experience with the rest,
So, whats new there ?
Old 15th June 2007, 19:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
So, whats new there ?
SB, please grow-up and stop nitpicking Fiat everytime, and that too on a Ikon Review thread!
Old 15th June 2007, 19:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review Sanjeev, Ford Ikon 1.6 indeed is a powerful and well built car though may have a reputation for being thirsty. What FE you get from your beast?

Suman and Benny, Car pic is there on his profile. If its a latest pic, looks pretty well maintained
Old 15th June 2007, 19:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

My car is also a Sept 2004 panther black (but Zxi). I generally dont bother about the road noise part as it gives me the "feel" which goes lacking elsewhere. But interesting way to inaugurate a car, seems divine powers were doing the honors for you rather than some priest. (You bet everytime I had a priest breaking a coconut in front of any car thats known to me, I have had the urge to break it on his head before that.)
Old 15th June 2007, 19:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice review Sanjeev, Ford Ikon 1.6 indeed is a powerful and well built car though may have a reputation for being thirsty. What FE you get from your beast?

Suman and Benny, Car pic is there on his profile. If its a latest pic, looks pretty well maintained
So far have been able to manage 9 - 10 KMPL in the city, and on long drives about 14. This is with the airconditioning on atleast 50% of the time.

And the pic was taken a few months ago, tried hard to keep it looking as good as new
Old 15th June 2007, 19:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
One thing I noticed with Ikons was that the front look was different between them. I mean 2 kinds of bumpers - one giving a sick look, while the other resembled a hissing python (I love that one). Is the bumper different for different trim levels ? Or how does it work ? The 1.6P gets one type, the 1.8D gets something else..
Hey SB

They had that policy of different bumpers with different models, the bumper with the round fog lamps is what i have, previously it used to be offered only with the 1.6L & 1.8D, now i believe that its pretty much the standard offering.

SS
Old 16th June 2007, 18:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
SB, please grow-up and stop nitpicking Fiat everytime, and that too on a Ikon Review thread!
Maybe its you finney that needs to outgrow the kiddy stage - one would think you have been made the protector of the Fiat name worldwide. It was the thread starter who mentioned his Fiat experience, not me.
Old 16th June 2007, 18:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
ssanjeev
with the exception of Fiat, i had a good experience with the rest,
Finneyp i think its you who needs to grow up and accept the fact that Fiat the car and the company are not the best in the world rather then picking on the members here.

Nice review

Quote:
This has been my journey so far, am contemplating moving in a few performance parts but thats on hold until July.
Please throw some light on this.
Old 18th June 2007, 09:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Please throw some light on this.
Hey Busa,

Right now everything in the car is stock, monotony is beginning to set in, here are a few of the changes that i plan on making come July. Listed in order of priority

1. Performance Air Filters (K&N or Green Cotton)
2. FFE (Mostly Automech)
3. Many options - I need to think

Perhaps you can also help??

Cheers,
Sanjeev

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks