Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2007, 15:26   #1
BHPian

Done 100kms on my new (used) M800 AC

Hi,

Finally I got my M800 on Monday. I purchased this 2005 model from TV Sundaram motors in JP Nagar/Bannerghatta Road. I paid 1.92 lacs for this including transfer of registration and documents. I have yet to recieve the docs and will hopefully get this on Monday.

Regarding the dealer, the entire operation went acros smoothly. I inspected/drove the car before booking. Then once the service was done(took about a week), we inspected the car once more and asked for a few more fixes and checks to be done. Finally we took delivery of the car on Monday. Over the past fwe days we felt that some more things could have been fixed/replaced but, well, we can live with those things.

The following are the specifications of the car.
1) 2005 model with AC.
2) Comprehensive insurance.
3) Dark sunfilm on all sides except front.
4) Autocop keyless system for 4 doors.
5) All floor mats provided.
6) Fabric seat covers.

Once we got the car, we invested on these extras.
1) A pair of neck rests for the front seats.
2) A silver reflective coloured car cover.
3) An air freshner for the car (non AC-vent-fixable types)

We had the dealer deliver the car home and then from that evening started our practice with the car. First we did a vahana pooja at a nearby temple and from then on both me and my wife took turns with the car to get used to driving. Have clocked about 100 kms on it after delivery. Today we took it for our big drive for about 20kms each way. Wife drive it to the place and I drove it back.

My opinions of the car are as follows.

1) Seriously a good first car for anyone. I initially was totally against an 800 as I felt it was too underpowered and wierd and was looking at Alto and Zen. But the car feels pretty good.

2) Suspension is good and it tackles the rough stony roads pretty well without being too bumpy a ride and at the same time delivering enough feedback to the driver.

3) Pretty comfortable to sit and to drive. I was initially apprehensive about not having power steering, but then for such a light car, who needs a power steering. Moreover it feels nicer to drive a car without power steering and having all the feedback from the road come to you through the steering wheel.

4) Car has decent power for city driving. I dont need those 100 horses like in the other cars. Of course on the highway its a totally different ball game but thats not my worry as of now. With AC on, it feels a little lethargic but that can be overcome with some smart gear changing. I have pushed the engine a little on 1st and 2nd gears and the engine doesnt seem to be complaining. Next time I will notice the RPM - I do hope the 800 has a rev limiter.

5) Maybe the one thing that I miss would be a remote boot / fuel release. I wonder if I can extend the autocop system to cover the boot at least.

6) The horn at the center is irritating and I would like if it were near my thumb. I think the earlier 800s used to have these 2 buttons at the sides, I wonder why they arent there anymore.

7) I also find that the gearing is only 4 + 1R. The earlier models had a 5 speed system. I wonder why they removed that 5 speed gearbox?

8) The car corners well without too much body roll.

9) The brakes are hard and there is a little more play than I would like. I have to check if the drums are not worn out, but I dont think so since it brakes quite effectively.

10) Aircon is not really very useful but I do love those blowers near the feet. Unfortunately the blower strength decreases when I put on the front vents as well.

11) Though the car has standard ground clearance, it does bottom out on those large humps with 4 adults seated inside. I wonder if the springs are set up a little too soft.

12) Left headlight is pointing in some random direction and I have to get this checked. Mostly when the servicing dude replaced the headlight, he didnt fit in the bulb properly. I wonder if I need to go to him to get it fixed or if I can do the needful myself.

So thats what I feel about the car 5 days into buying it and 3 days into using it (wasnt in station for a couple of days). I do hope to get in more mileage soon and get used to driving in Bangalore traffic.

Last edited by herculesksp : 15th June 2007 at 15:30. Reason: Image not appearing correct.
Old 15th June 2007, 15:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Cong. on your new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Hi,

5) Maybe the one thing that I miss would be a remote boot / fuel release. I wonder if I can extend the autocop system to cover the boot at least.
This thing cann't be done even i tried it when i use to have a m800
Quote:
6) The horn at the center is irritating and I would like if it were near my thumb. I think the earlier 800s used to have these 2 buttons at the sides, I wonder why they arent there anymore.
the earlier model use to have buttons on the side but teh center button is more usefull as in a panic situation you wouldn't have have search for the small bottons
Quote:
7) I also find that the gearing is only 4 + 1R. The earlier models had a 5 speed system. I wonder why they removed that 5 speed gearbox?
that was a model with a maruti 1000 gearbox or zen i think it lived for a short period but was a joy to drive

basically it was an option
Quote:
9) The brakes are hard and there is a little more play than I would like. I have to check if the drums are not worn out, but I dont think so since it brakes quite effectively.
the m800 doesn't have power brakes so that is why you feel that they are hard
Quote:
10) Aircon is not really very useful but I do love those blowers near the feet. Unfortunately the blower strength decreases when I put on the front vents as well.
Its a small car with a small a/c it will only cool or will only control the sweat the a/c isn't usefull in IMO and the air flow gets distributed to the blower strenght goes down

Last edited by manikjeet : 15th June 2007 at 15:47.
Old 15th June 2007, 16:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post

that was a model with a maruti 1000 gearbox or zen i think it lived for a short period but was a joy to drive
It was the altos mpfi 12 valve engine with the altos 5 speed gearbox
Old 15th June 2007, 16:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
It was the altos mpfi 12 valve engine with the altos 5 speed gearbox
thanks man it clears alot of things
Old 15th June 2007, 17:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice car, mate. Enjoy the experience.
The M800 is one car I love - have had a 20 year relationship with it. Love that car.
Old 15th June 2007, 20:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Hercules!!

I wish your wife and you many many safe kilometres in your trusty car.
Old 15th June 2007, 23:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Its a small car with a small a/c it will only cool or will only control the sweat the a/c isn't usefull in IMO and the air flow gets distributed to the blower strenght goes down
I've been having a different experience with M800's AC. I recently fitted an AC piece for abouot 25K (I guess Subros brand). The AC makes things extremely bearable in peak Chennai heat (which is qute something!), but certainly not cold. The AC has been pretty powerful otherwise. The only grudge is the car feels like a 400 the moment I switch on the AC... pretty much forcing me to switch off the AC when on highways when I need a little more power.

Btw, congrats on your car mate. I too got the same color. M800 is the very definition of VFM - and is still one of the smartest ways to travel in Indian cities, if you can live without the snob value.
Old 18th June 2007, 17:53   #8
BHPian

Congrats on your new car!
Old 18th June 2007, 18:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetnaz View Post
I've been having a different experience with M800's AC. I recently fitted an AC piece for abouot 25K (I guess Subros brand). The AC makes things extremely bearable in peak Chennai heat (which is qute something!), but certainly not cold. The AC has been pretty powerful otherwise. The only grudge is the car feels like a 400 the moment I switch on the AC... pretty much forcing me to switch off the AC when on highways when I need a little more power.
I am talking about the factory fitted a/c and not after market they will definitely cool
btw what is fe after and before getting the a/c fiited

the company a/c in a m800 in my view is totally useless i have a m800 a/c 97 and find the a/c not useful at all

Last edited by manikjeet : 18th June 2007 at 18:42.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:56   #10
BHPian

Update (+80kms): Drove down to Eagleton resorts and back last weekend. Clocked an additional 80 kms. Car felt very good and stable enough on the highway. I had expected the light car to feel twitchy on the highways but it was good and comfortable at moderate speeds (I reached 80kmph and didnt want to go further than that)

Few more things that I found lacking the car are
1) Tachometer - I am so used to the tacho on my bike (Caliber) that I find just one dial on this car a little too simple.
2) Tripmeter - I have to remember the previous readings if I want to measure any distances as the car doesnt have a tripmeter.
3) The telltale lights on the dash are absolutely not visible in the day time. I wonder if anything can be done about this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks