Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 16:41   #886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Honking is a means to warn (not to shift Onus or responsibility). On a blind curve irrespective of how careful you are you may be in grave danger if the other party coming in the opposite direction is not warned. There is no doubt the horn is a warning and a safety device.
Its the Indian drivers who dont follow rules that make you use horn. In most developed countries ppl dont overtake on a blidn slope/hill or a blind turn so that eliminates the threat of oncoming traffic from a blindsot. As much as I hate honking, its essential in India. But what I do want to cultivate is minimal use. I see some ppl honking as they are trained by their learning school to honk at every friggin thing possible. Those peeps really piss me off causing all the noise pollution for nothing.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:46   #887
Senior - BHPian

1.5 years, 20000 kms, finally a record for myself

Of my four cars I've owned until now, this is the best I've done in such a short time. My first was a third-hand M800 which started at 40000kms and after 1 year I did another 10000 on it before I sold it again @ 50k-kms. bought for 1.4 lacs, sold for 95,000/-

My second one was a mistake which I bought for 4.72 lacs, and sold at 320kms (yes you read it right) for 3.72 lacs in two months. It was a financial burden on me along with my other EMIs and was a result of my poor financial estimation during 2004. This was my Palio ELX NV.

The third stint for one year was by BTS bus and Auto in Bengaluru (reason: time was required to break even on the previous loss)

The fourth was a new M800 which I drove for upto 16000kms. I bought it because I had to run my life on economy mode with the financial steering now being controlled by wifey and I sold it because I got a knee cap issue due to crouched seating and bad ergonomics in that car. Bought for 2.65 lacs, sold for 1.65 lacs after two years.

And now the latest is the MJD swift VDI which has now completed 20000kms in 1.5 yrs. Bought for 6.2 lacs OTR, plan not to sell it until I reach 1 lac kms atleast! My future car choices if at all would be thus:
  • Honda city or Toyota corolla
  • Tata Safari or if i get more money, Toyota Fortuner
  • Indica electric or Nano automatic/electric for wifey
  • Best choice is to start using metro train and buses after another 5yrs when its comissioned

And before I end the post a photo for the records!
Attached Thumbnails
Swift VDi ownership: A Running report-20000.jpg  

Old 19th December 2008, 19:00   #888

Friends,

Can you help me to know what all need to be done in 3rd service of swift vdi? i mean 10000kms service. And do you guys leave the car at dealer for service or prefer the maruti authorized service stations?... would request you for quick reply as i have to give my car for service tommorow.

thanks in advance
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:16   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind Sharma View Post
Friends,

Can you help me to know what all need to be done in 3rd service of swift vdi? i mean 10000kms service. And do you guys leave the car at dealer for service or prefer the maruti authorized service stations?... would request you for quick reply as i have to give my car for service tommorow.

thanks in advance
Please follow Maruti recommended schedule given in the user manual for 3rd service. other than that get alignment and balancing of the wheels done.
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:30   #890
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend to get your tyres aligned outside of the service station if there are professionals who do it.
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:34   #891
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Last month I had gone in for the first service of my Swift VDi and was told by the attending Supervisor of MASS that they have received a direction from MUL which said that the change of Engine oil during the first service of Swift Diesel is not required. Altough the service mannual speaks of such changes.
Can anyone confirm the above position please? I had not changed the engine oil based on the MASS advise and is worried as to whether I am causing any long term damage to the engine or not. I have done around 1600 kms in a month and half time on my new Swift.

Thanxs in advance
Soumitra.
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:30   #892
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there must be any issue. Of course the engine can get a bit coarse as the next oil change would be only at 10k.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:31   #893
Senior - BHPian

my suggestion is to get the oil changed at 5000 km 2nd service. insist on it and get it done.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:36   #894
BHPian

I argee with DieselFan, alternatively you could just go to the A** and get an oil change done ASAP for peace of mind!
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:52   #895
BHPian

I recently got oil change at 10K service (2 weeks ago)
I got the regular Maruti recommended oil(MASS had only that) and 3M oil additive.
I am still feeling that the engine is a bit coarse. I havent got time to tae it back to those folks :(

Any idea guys about how to really check if these guys havent duped me by not changing oil?
I really couldnt find time on that day to stay with car. Pretty busy work days during last month.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:36   #896
Senior - BHPian

Check the dipstick. If the oil is muddy, they haven't changed it or they have just topped it up with new oil instead of replacing it.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:43   #897
Team-BHP Support

@sriturl; Take the dipstick out, and see if the oil is clear. At 10k and recent oil change, oil should be kind of clear with lil bit of carbon residue. If the oil was not changed it will be good shade of black.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd December 2008 at 18:48.
Old 24th December 2008, 09:53   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@sriturl; Take the dipstick out, and see if the oil is clear. At 10k and recent oil change, oil should be kind of clear with lil bit of carbon residue. If the oil was not changed it will be good shade of black.
Not true. Oil changes colour to black within 5 kms of running in Diesel engines. This is because unburnt diesel mixes with oil in Diesel engines.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:11   #899
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Not true. Oil changes colour to black within 5 kms of running in Diesel engines. This is because unburnt diesel mixes with oil in Diesel engines.
what i meant was it will not turn complete black, i just tried it today morning. Yday i ran for around 30 kms after oil change, and today morning the oil is quite aok actually very clean. It might have slight smudges but wont turn all black. Let me see if i can take a snap and update

Update with pic: see the oil is brown and NOT black, which it was before oil change. In real its quite clear/clean this is after 54 kms after oil change and a overnight stop. Also note that in my car oil change is at 5k kms.

Swift VDi ownership: A Running report-oildipstick.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th December 2008 at 11:28.
Old 24th January 2009, 11:08   #900
Senior - BHPian

21000, silent as ever!

Did another one grand kms, silently and efficiently. Have been regular at using the car to office and its a breeze to drive. Lesser gear shifts and clutch presses, softer on the foot too.

The engine seems like what it felt at delivery, brand new! Planning to service the car every 5k or atleast 7k once from now on to keep it going. Loan emi's with SBI are getting eaten up every month, and I dont/cant know how much is pending. Its one damn bank who cant understand after 100 yrs (?) what a customer or what a service means.

Other than that, on my son's issue of puking within the car, i dont see him do this in petrol cars, strangely even in autos or buses. But only on diesel cars - swift vdi, indica, ford ikon, whatever. really strange, is it some smell, or fumes, or just the engine roar? cant tell for sure yet. testing diff cars on him.

the other day by central lock stopped working, luckily i was outside the car. it would blink only once for any operation, and no sounds but would not lock or unlock. left it and went by auto paying 100 bucks to my office (realizing on the way what worth of money today is) and spoke with autocop. they have a reset procedure (both L + U keys simultaneous press (short) once, and then both L +U keys long press once). after i did that in the evening, car lock is behaving normally again. culprit was my son gave the keys to him (rather the dad was the culprit) and he did something by pressing all keys at once.

autocop knows such things better and they have really refined their systems after these many years. other than that, i ve to give my car for inside wash/dry once. michelins are doing as good as before. i have NOT yet done any kind of wheel balancing, as this has always been my sore point with all previous cars. after i do the balancing I get the ugly wobbling sequence for the rest of my life as something would have got changed. so worst case, after another 10k-ish i might just add new tyres once more just to keep the feel right.

it all depends on recession me happy with mileage, and performance. though not the best car for rear comfort and other boot storage. suspensions a bit hard compared to other cars, and engine noise, well its diesel so you have to hear it atleast faintly. now i am beginning to understand the fact that if one really is looking for petrol or diesel it doesnt matter which we buy as one way or the other the break even is about 15-20k kms or 1 lac upfront!

so much for now. plan to do a long journey around south india with this car. will see where to go. also i might leave the car unattended while i go to uk next month. hopefully its not reduced to an auto before i come back as wifey plans to "learn" with it. my only question is what she plans to learn - driving, or how not to hit other guys, or how to get into fights on the road, or how to make the hubby pay up for every road fault of hers! hahaha.

more later!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks