Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 10:25   #571
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
When you change to synthetic you should use flush, i had!
wouldn agree 100% to the above.
Old 5th February 2008, 10:29   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunj_cal View Post
For layman like me , how exactly do the service guys flush the engine ?
An engine flush is an additive that is put into the crankcase. Usually it takes 3-5 minutes of the vehicle idling to dissolve gum/sludge/varnish deposits that build up.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:40   #573
BHPian

May be the most overrated car ever in TBHP

I got a Sunlight Copper Swift VDi + ABS recently (Jan 23)- I was initially quite excited (mostly because of the raving reviews and comments in the web/TBHP) - Now, I am quite depressed that I havent posted the photos in this forum.

I made a blunder that I never thought I'd do - Got a Swift VDi without a test drive. (Huge waiting time + great reviews did the trick, and the dealer did not have a DDiS for test drive.)

I also have a Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI (actually SXI, since this trim was removed and features merged with ZXI towards the end of life of Ford Ikon 1.6). I do feel the turbo kick in and get a quick rush but thats it. The car is seriously lacking in power without turbo making me change gears (downshift) often.

I need to buy an ear plug to save my ears - Cannot bear with the diesel clatter - VERY NOISY! I dont know how this engine got engine of the year award in 2006. [May be it got "noisiest engine on the ear" award ]

My total cost was 6.1 Onroad in Bangalore and about 60K of accessories (Upsized to ZXI tyres (185/70/14), MGA Alloys (same as in ZXI), Sony USB receiver and JBL speakers etc.) - I was planning to add Pete's tuning box too. I am thinking if I need to down 30K more for this car.

My lessons learnt:
1. Never buy a car without test drive however hyped it may be
2. A long waiting time does not mean the car is great - In India, it means mileage is decent for its segment
3. People who love the refinement of petrol should stay faaaaaaaaar away from diesels (unless may be it is a BMW/Merc/Audi)

I was so depressed last Friday that I took the Ford for my office and reached office grinning ear to ear! My respect for Ford has gone up tremendously of late.

Let me see if things improve after the first service - Else, I should start looking for my next car soon...
Old 5th February 2008, 12:38   #574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
My lessons learnt:
2. A long waiting time does not mean the car is great - In India, it means mileage is decent for its segment
3. People who love the refinement of petrol should stay faaaaaaaaar away from diesels (unless may be it is a BMW/Merc/Audi)
Very valid and COSTLY lesson i say, point 1 was the biggest mistake.
Old 5th February 2008, 13:11   #575
BHPian

About the diesel clatter

Frankly I did test drive the Innova twice, the swift D thrice before homing in the swift D. The Innova was noisier (engine noise) as compared to the swift with the windows up.
Agreed that it is not a perfect car - rattles and all, the way the plastics are put together, lack of space etc., but it is not so bad. May be against a Ikon 1.6, it probably pales in comparison.
On the other hand if I drive my other car, an Indica after driving the swift, the difference is rather obvious!
The diesel clatter is most at a particular RPM band and it does get better with time as does the gear shift.
Mahesh

Quote:
I got a Sunlight Copper Swift VDi + ABS recently (Jan 23)- I was initially quite excited (mostly because of the raving reviews and comments in the web/TBHP) - Now, I am quite depressed that I havent posted the photos in this forum.

I made a blunder that I never thought I'd do - Got a Swift VDi without a test drive. (Huge waiting time + great reviews did the trick, and the dealer did not have a DDiS for test drive.)

I also have a Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI (actually SXI, since this trim was removed and features merged with ZXI towards the end of life of Ford Ikon 1.6). I do feel the turbo kick in and get a quick rush but thats it. The car is seriously lacking in power without turbo making me change gears (downshift) often.

I need to buy an ear plug to save my ears - Cannot bear with the diesel clatter - VERY NOISY! I dont know how this engine got engine of the year award in 2006. [May be it got "noisiest engine on the ear" award ]

My total cost was 6.1 Onroad in Bangalore and about 60K of accessories (Upsized to ZXI tyres (185/70/14), MGA Alloys (same as in ZXI), Sony USB receiver and JBL speakers etc.) - I was planning to add Pete's tuning box too. I am thinking if I need to down 30K more for this car.

My lessons learnt:

I was so depressed last Friday that I took the Ford for my office and reached office grinning ear to ear! My respect for Ford has gone up tremendously of late.

Let me see if things improve after the first service - Else, I should start looking for my next car soon...
Old 5th February 2008, 15:12   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After that Ikon 1.6, frankly what you need is a D segment petrol. Nothing below that would do. I dont think you'd lose much if you get rid of the car rightaway. It has ridiculously high demand so you'll find a buyer easily.

I had been posting about turbo lag in diesels at numerous places and I guess I have another person who agrees with me. The moral of the story is that unless you are convinced about the car yourself, never commit to buying it.
Old 5th February 2008, 15:52   #577
BHPian

Almost bought a Cedia

@Reign - I almost bought a cedia (black - sports) - I was about to leave to the dealer to make the downpayment but the showroom was closed - By the cruel twist of fate, that night, I had to shell out the amount reserved for downpayment for some other purpose

I should have damn well waited for a few more months and taken the cedia.

I'll try some damping improvement and if things dont improve, I'll need to do something as suggested by you...
Old 5th February 2008, 17:18   #578
Senior - BHPian

While i agree with you, never buy a car without test driving it. I kinda disagree with you on quite a few points.

Firstly you said about the noise, the car is new right, the noise does go down after 2nd service~5k kms, so you need to wait. Also what mileage does your Ford give compared to the Swift? You need to drive Indica, Innova, Accent, Laura, Fabia, Octavia and all other sub 20L cars to truly appreciate the fantastic NVH the Swift has for a diesel.

My Innova feels so noisy compared to the Swift. I have a Optra Petrol and after driving the Swift D, i dont find the Optra exciting at all, and my Optra does definately drive much much better then the Ikon 1.6

So i would suggest you either of the following instead of selling your car.
  • Wait till you run the car in completely, maybe 2nd service, get the oil changed, see the difference.
  • Get damping done
  • Get Petes + Green, trust me you will find power in each and every gear at any given RPM.
  • Test drive Indica
Let us know what you decide on, it may be tad noiser then Petrol cars, buy its liveable.
Old 5th February 2008, 18:16   #579
BHPian

SO by damping you mean the door and the boot? or some thing else... i
Old 5th February 2008, 19:19   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
So i would suggest you either of the following instead of selling your car.
  • Wait till you run the car in completely, maybe 2nd service, get the oil changed, see the difference.
  • Get damping done
  • Get Petes + Green, trust me you will find power in each and every gear at any given RPM.
  • Test drive Indica
Let us know what you decide on, it may be tad noiser then Petrol cars, buy its liveable.
Err why test drive against an indica? After all that the cost of the car would be beyond 7lacs. I'd rather pit it against a palio 1.6 or a fiesta 1.6 which is actual competition to it. Unfortunately both those cars will kill the swift in performance.
Old 5th February 2008, 19:51   #581
Team-BHP Support

Cars are a personal choice, at the end of the day its your money also. So its never suggested to put your money down without driving the car yourself and that too really looong drives, yes you can demand that.

I have lived with a Ford iKON 1.6 Zxi for 7 years have enjoyed it and pushed it to the limits of the car, after which finding replacement was the most harrowing experience. Then i put money down on Swift D after test driving entire available options right from Santros to Fiesta's (all the brands) and i have no regrets on where i put the money.

Its a perfect compromise for me, mileage first, driving pleasure/convenience second and comfort third. Maybe i really am not bothered about the rattles coz the simple ICE set up i have covers up for that.

I think i had a clear idea and set my expectations and that gave me a pleasant and surprising experience with Swift D so far ( touches wood )

I still will recommend the car if someone asks me
, but i would push them to have a test drive before they put that down-payment.
Old 5th February 2008, 19:58   #582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its a perfect compromise for me, mileage first, driving pleasure/convenience second and comfort third. Maybe i really am not bothered about the rattles coz the simple ICE set up i have covers up for that.

I think i had a clear idea and set my expectations and that gave me a pleasant and surprising experience with Swift D so far ( touches wood )
I still will recommend the car if someone asks me, but i would push them to have a test drive before they put that down-payment.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Couldn't have said it better.

OT: Jaggu, right time to change the avatar to a swift pic instead of the ikon ?
Old 5th February 2008, 20:29   #583
BHPian

hi
I drive in Bangalore city and my FE is 15-16kpl and during a couple of highway drives my mean machine with top speed touching upto130max average has been 22-24kpl(amazing) and fuel refilled always in Shell (always full tank)
hi intially i replaced my bulbs to white light it was pathetic during night now i have replaced to90/100w hmm ok now better
Old 5th February 2008, 20:40   #584
Team-BHP Support

OT reply: why? and i hate the bugger who bought my car, he calls up after 6 months and says he has sold it with a minor profit "thanks to immaculate shape in which i had maintained her"

i think am too lazy to resize the image that olman shot of Snowhite and upload lol
Old 5th February 2008, 22:11   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Err why test drive against an indica? After all that the cost of the car would be beyond 7lacs. I'd rather pit it against a palio 1.6 or a fiesta 1.6 which is actual competition to it. Unfortunately both those cars will kill the swift in performance.
Kill in performance, lol. There is only one car which can kill Swift Diesel in performance and that is the Getz Diesel. Since comparission is diesel vs diesel, we cant get Fiesta's & Palios of the world here.

Compare with Indica - So you will be happy to note the Swift is silent in comparrission
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks