Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 10:52   #46
BHPian

@ jaggs /rks

Run in time so no drastic downshifts and no spirited overtaking.. did most of the overtaking on 5th..and sometimes on 4th and never on 3rd.. well let me think.. well never had the need to..took care to ensure engine doesnt get overloaded and no high revs.. (no tacho and silent engine.. so tough job that one!!)

Tyre pressure - manual says 30 PSI.. cousin says 28 will give a smoothride.. see we got bumped around. I like cornering so let me stick to 30.

Get my own gauge???? You guys have one? How much does it cost?

Nimz
Old 10th July 2007, 11:06   #47
Team-BHP Support

Nimz just stick to a good petrol pump with electronic guage, and as rk suggested do the checking in the morning before you have run the car too much.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nimz just stick to a good petrol pump with electronic guage, and as rk suggested do the checking in the morning before you have run the car too much.
Right now after reading tbhp I stick to Shell which comes when you take a left from Kastruba road.

hmm.. frequent checking.. I shall do it.

BTW maybe this is OT but Sparky has tubeless tires. So how do you know when you get a puncture???

Nimz
Old 10th July 2007, 11:34   #49
Team-BHP Support

Yup filling air once in 2 weeks from shell should be good enough.

If its a slow puncture, usual symptom is couple of psi drops (more than 4-5 psi a week) every week or so, you will have to do a visual check to determine if there are any nails or like which is causing the same. Bigger punctures will be obvious.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th July 2007 at 11:37.
Old 10th July 2007, 13:34   #50
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i dont get this, down shift will cause problems???

i assume nimz downshifted from 5th to 4 th or worse scenario to 3rd, and i think its perfectly fine and actually on the safer side rather than trying to load the engine in top gear or do a risky slow overtaking move!!

moving from 5th to 4th will raise the rpm by 1000 max.
I think during running in period, it is better to stick to the recommended speeds at each gear. In Santro, it is recommended to shift to 4th/5th at speeds of 40/50 kmph. The impression I got from Nimz's original post was that he was downshifting to 3rd and gunning the car to make quick overtakes. But he has clarified on that point. Of course if the overtake becomes risky or strains the engine it is better to avoid it during the running in period.

@Nimz, a good analog pressure gauge should cost you upwards of Rs. 500. Digital gauges will cost you more; my digital gauge "talks", i.e., I hear the pressure reading and it cost me Rs.1500. But as Jaggu said, if you can find a well maintained bunk with a digital gauge that should be fine. And regarding tubeless tyres, you need to inspect these tyres visually to check for any nails/screws that may have gone in. But it is tricky to try to guess by visual inspection on whether the tyre is holding air, unless there is considerable loss of pressure. Best to check pressures whenever you visit the bunk.

Last edited by rks : 10th July 2007 at 13:42.
Old 10th July 2007, 16:20   #51
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu and Rks. That was helpful.

Will continue posting about my Sparky as she covers important milestones..

Nimz
Old 10th July 2007, 16:54   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Nimz for your new car. It does look quite cute. Post some more pics to get a good view of the full car. Btw, you took delivery on Friday and Sunday you already have the number plates done up, that was quick
Old 10th July 2007, 16:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats Nimz for your new car. It does look quite cute. Post some more pics to get a good view of the full car. Btw, you took delivery on Friday and Sunday you already have the number plates done up, that was quick
Thanks Mobike

Well I got the number plates fixed at the time of delivery itself...

The sales gal said we were lucky
Old 15th July 2007, 13:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hey, instead of the tire pressure guage, y not try the pete's air cap thingy?? it displays the pressure on the valve cap itself and changes color if it low. May get Nicked though!
Old 16th July 2007, 12:29   #55
BHPian

How much does that cost?? that air cap thingy..

BTW - Sparky now in Dealers for fitting Autocop with Immobs.. just back from a trip and found the car very dusty..

Have to get a good car cover now for Sparky..
Old 17th July 2007, 20:13   #56
BHPian

Hi folks

Took Sparky to get Autocop with Immobs fixed. Now she is fitted out. Paid 5000 odd bucks. But nowhere does it say Autocop!! It says Keystone appliances at the back of the manual and in the front it says Genuine GM accessory.
I was told this comes with Reverse gear horn but there was no sound when I put the reverse gear :(. But this has Immobs.

I guess Autocop is a brand of Keystone Appliances which is the company or did i get cheated!!

One thing I noticed when I switched off at a traffic signal. All doors unlocked. Have to read the manual and see what I can do to avoid it. Now Sparky has Autocop but some how I wasnt happy with the experience at Sundaram. No one told me it has come in stock. I had to call and ask and the lady said it will take half an hour to do the fitting but turned out to be the whole day.

I also kinda feel the car strains a little and a small whine (which was not there earlier).
Car still smooth and a champ in traffic. Engine begs to be revved and in fact I find gear changes are smoother then but I keep reminding "run in time".
BTW - it has been advised to keep engine rpm at 1.5K - 2K during run-in in another section of this forum but for Sparky max torque is at 4.5 K so does the 1.5K rule hold good here too?

Cheers

Sparky and Nimz

Last edited by Nimz : 17th July 2007 at 20:14.
Old 17th July 2007, 20:27   #57
Team-BHP Support

Central locking will unlock when you switch off and locks once you switch on, thats the way its wired. Regarding the reverse horn, they usually tap the stereo theft wire to the reverse light switch which makes the alarm sound (no harm yet reported by doing so).

I dont think the whine you felt has anything to do with remote locking system install, maybe the ECU was reset coz of battery disconnection for fixture. This will go back to normal after 8-10 kms of drive.

Better model to calculate the max rpm during runin would be something like:
40-50 % of max rev limit for the engine, for first 250 kms
50-60 % of max rev limit for the engine, for 250-500 kms
60-85 % of max rev limit for the engine, for 500 -1000 kms
60-90 % of max rev limit for the engine, for 1000 -2000 kms
60 % - max rev limit for the engine, for 2000 kms
Old 18th July 2007, 19:58   #58
BHPian

thanks a ton Jaggu.

Really helpful. Will watch out for the whine to disappear.

Regarding central lock switch off in traffic. I switch off and immediately get the key to "Start" position when all emergency lights light up. This way it is always locked.

One more doubt though I guess it is OT. What if the car is running and I see a friend in traffic who wants to jump in. Can I unlock the passenger door using the manual door lock or I have to unlock using the remote with the key in ignition and engine running. (The dealer advised me ALWAYS unlock with remote only if locked with remote)

Thanks
Nimz
Old 18th July 2007, 20:08   #59
Team-BHP Support

When the door is armed automatically due to ignition switch, you can manually unlock. You will have to manually lock also after this.

Dealer is correct, if armed using the remote activator you should unlock using the same to avoid triggering the alarm. In case of emergency or by accident you unlock using key, the alarm will activate and this can be deactivated again by using the remote.

After this sometime the number of flashes by the hazard lamp might increase, refer manual for the remote system and read it thoroughly to know more and understand useful features.
Old 18th July 2007, 20:55   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
I guess Autocop is a brand of Keystone Appliances which is the company or did i get cheated!!
Manual reads Keystone appliances at the front.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed